- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Dancing anemone (debut)
- Gary the Snail
- Human football players (debut)
- Patrick Star
- Nathiel Waters
- Harold Bill Reginald Scott
- Squidward Tentacles
- Shoelace snakes (debut)
- Old Man Walker
- Vera Fishbowl
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Harold (red fish)
- Incidental 33
- Brown eel (debut)
- Sea urchins
- Cave monster (debut)
- Skeleton (debut)
- Captain (in-series debut)
- Painted parrot (in-series debut)
- Flying Dutchman
- Monkey knot (debut)
The episode starts with SpongeBob watching a dancing anemone on TV, supposedly "looking for the sports channel." Patrick comes bursting through the door with his hands inside a pair of new shoes. When SpongeBob asks to see them on his feet, Patrick confesses that he does not know how to tie his laces. SpongeBob says that he will teach Patrick, untying his shoes to demonstrate. However, SpongeBob's attempts to tie them again fail. After reminding Patrick that he's late for something, Patrick rushes out of the Pineapple saying that they'll have to do the lesson later and SpongeBob faces the realization that he can't remember how to tie his shoes, as they have remained tied ever since his life began. When a good night's sleep fails to jog his memory, he decides to set the problem aside for the time being and get a move on to work. Moving, however, presents a problem as SpongeBob trips over his untied laces every step of the way to the Krusty Krab.
SpongeBob finally arrives, only to find Patrick already there eating a Krabby Patty. Not wanting to look foolish in front of Patrick, he pounds his feet through the floorboards so that Patrick can't see them. Patrick only suspects SpongeBob of dieting, so SpongeBob takes care to keep his shoes hidden as he trudges to the kitchen. Even through his exhaustion, SpongeBob realizes he still has to cook, and that doing so standing in one spot will be simple enough. However, bringing the order to Squidward across the room presents a daunting challenge. He tries shuffling over, millimeters at a time, but gets practically nowhere. With one gingerly step forward, he trips and catapults the Krabby Patty into Squidward's mouth. This mishap repeats several times until Squidward is engorged with Krabby Patties, which causes the customers to get angry.
Mr. Krabs, occupied with a crossword in the bathroom, hears disgruntled customers leaving to eat at the Chum Bucket. He bursts out in his underwear and demands to know why his customers have left. Squidward replies with some difficulty that SpongeBob is to blame, and Mr. Krabs calls for SpongeBob to present himself. Feeling ashamed, SpongeBob tells Mr. Krabs that he can't remember how to tie his shoes and asks him for help. Mr. Krabs solemnly informs him that he does not wear shoes.In desperation, SpongeBob starts asking anyone he can find if they know how to tie a knot. Failing to find someone who wears shoes, SpongeBob's cries of anguish summon The Flying Dutchman. As it so happens, the Dutchman has held the title of Fancy Knotting Contest Champion for 3,000 years and is confident he can teach SpongeBob a thing or two about knots. He demonstrates various knots of increasing complexity but is stumped when SpongeBob asks for a knot for tying shoes. The Dutchman admits that he doesn't need to tie his shoes as, being a ghost, he no longer has feet. This fact doesn't impede his enjoyment of wearing a sock on his ghostly tail. SpongeBob drags himself home thinking that his shoes will forever remain untied, but Gary, surprisingly, ties his shoes for him. Gary also reveals that he wears a pair. Amazed, SpongeBob asks Gary where he learned to tie them. Gary reveals a record player underneath his shell and puts on a record of the song "Loop de Loop," which finally teaches SpongeBob how to tie his shoes perfectly.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Hilo March - The Hawaiian Serenaders [Title card]
‣ Stars and Games - Alf Saro [SpongeBob watching TV]
‣ Steve's March - Sam Spence [sports channel]
‣ Hawaiian Hula - Terry Day [Patrick's new shoes]
‣ Vibe Link (b) - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob forgets how to tie his shoes]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer ["Now the lesson will officially begin."]
‣ Time for Bed [#35.01] - Mark Emney [SpongeBob as an amoeba]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [the next morning/SpongeBob's shoes still untied]
‣ Grand Orchestral Fanfare - Gregor F. Narholz ["Cause I'm ready!"]
‣ Final Resolution - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob sees Patrick]
‣ The Rake Hornpipe - Robert Alexander White ["Hey, SpongeBob, you're shorter."/"Those patties aren't going to cook themselves, SpongeBob."]
‣ The Land is Ours - Gregor F. Narholz ["Laces or no laces!"]
‣ Revelation - Dick Stephen Walter [" [laughing] ALRIGHT! A perfect patty."]
‣ Shock (e) - Dave Hewson [SpongeBob's shoelaces looking hideous very briefly]
‣ Shock - Cornelus Joh Bolten [SpongeBob's shoelaces wrap themselves around him]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob trips on his shoelaces]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob crying]
‣ Spanish Ladies (b) - Robin Jeffrey, Tim Laycock [Krabs doing a crossword puzzle]
‣ Furtive Footsteps - Paddy Kingsland [SpongeBob slowly emerges from the kitchen]
‣ Shock Horror (a) - Dick Stephen Walter ["I don't wear shoes."]
‣ Flight in Panic 1 - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob asking everyone how to tie shoes]
‣ Malleus Mallificarum (a) - Dave Hewson [Flying Dutchman appears]
‣ In the Crypt - David Hewson ["So, you want to tie knots, do ya?"]
‣ Romeo & Juliet Overture - Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky, Fiachra Trench ["Hooray!"]
‣ The Twin Sisters - Chelmsford Folk Band [Dutchman tying knots]
‣ Island Romance - Jan Rap [SpongeBob crawling home]
‣ Nostalgic Hawaii - George de Fretes, Jan Rap [Gary ties SpongeBob's shoes]
• Loop de Loop - Ween
- This episode is available on the Lost at Sea, Ghouls Fools, The Complete Second Season Complete 2nd Season, The First & Second Seasons, The Best 200 Episodes Ever and the First 100 Episodes DVDs.
- This episode is also available Lost at Sea (VHS) and Anchors Away tapes.
- "Your Shoe's Untied" was ranked #25 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- This is the first episode to have a title card be written in cursive.
- In production order, this is the first episode to use digital ink and paint.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Gary's record player.
- This is the first episode to have five opening credit transitions.
- This episode premiered in Canada on January 19, 2001.
- This is the first episode where Painty the Pirate appears outside of the series' theme song.
- This is the second episode to end with a song. The first is "Help Wanted."
- The football teams that are playing on the sports channel are the Tampa Bay Bandits and the Houston Gamblers from the USFL.
- In most other episodes that feature the Krusty Krab, the grill that SpongeBob cooks on is right by the order window.
- Patrick's shoes appear to be navy-blue hi-top Converse All-Stars.
- Innuendo: SpongeBob watching a sea anemone “dance” and changing to “the sports channel” when Gary enters the living room.
- This was the first episode to use the new, smaller captions, which would be used until "The Thing."
- This episode was released on June 30, 2000 in "The American Cartoons," but not with the sister episode, "Squid's Day Off."
- It is the first episode where The Flying Dutchman wears a sock, which is important in "Shanghaied."
- It is revealed that Gary can roar like a lion.
- It is also revealed that Gary wears shoes.
- In the Bahasa Indonesia dub, the scene where SpongeBob asks everyone in Krusty Krab out of despair about how to wear his shoe often cuts to his house during its airing. This was due to time constraints and commercial breaks.
- Squidward had eaten his first Krabby Patty in "Just One Bite," but he is force-fed a bunch of Krabby Patties in this episode.
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Rozwiązany but," which translates to "The Untied Shoe."
- In the Croatian dub, the episode's title is "Odvezana Cipla," also meaning "The Untied Shoe."
- SpongeBob can tie his shoes in "Rock Bottom," but he can't in this episode and says they've been tied since he was in an egg. That episode likely takes place before this one.
- The shoelace snakes hallucination is notable for scaring younger viewers due to the hideous-looking faces of the snakes.
- The background for when the episode shows "Loop de Loop" is the same background for the title card of "Sleepy Time," minus the black aura, and it is more zoomed in.
- This episode takes place after "Sportz?" because in that episode SpongeBob doesn’t know what sports and football are, and in this episode, he watches a football game.
- The monkey's fist knot is an actual knot used both as decoration and to hold a weight at the end of a rope, making the rope easier to toss. Using anything heavier than a rubber ball as weight, however, presents a danger of injuring someone who fails to catch it.
- After SpongeBob flips to the sports channel, the wide shot is shown again and the TV has no plug-in cord.
- When SpongeBob says that you must start with your right foot to tie your shoes, he lifts his left foot instead.
- Patrick never closes the door at SpongeBob's house, making his exit crashing the door off its hinges inconsistent.
- It is SpongeBob who cooks the Krabby Patties, yet Patrick is somehow eating one already cooked when SpongeBob arrives.
- During the part when Squidward burps and says "It's SpongeBob's fault," the Galley Grub is missing.
- When Old Man Walker says, "What's the hold-up?" to Squidward, he talks in a young man's voice.
- On the crossword puzzle, Mr. Krabs writes the word "money" horizontally to also complete the word "money" vertically, yet he should have naturally already filled in the 'Y' of the vertical "money."
- When the customers start to leave the Krusty Krab, Harold, the blue fish next to Old Man Jenkins, wears a pair of pants that are similar to SpongeBob's. However, when the customers leave, Harold's pants disappear.
- When Mr. Krabs is talking to SpongeBob in the dining room, Squidward somehow disappears despite being in his workstation earlier.
- When SpongeBob arrives at his house, the lights are off. After Gary ties his shoes, they are suddenly on.
- Several audio goofs occur in this episode.
- When Mr. Krabs says "Haha, that's all?" after SpongeBob tells him he forgot to tie his shoes, his mouth doesn't sync with the words completely.
- When Tom says "Uh, fins" after SpongeBob asks him if he can show him how to tie his shoes, his mouth doesn't move.
- When SpongeBob asks the brown eel how to tie his shoes, after the eel's face pans back into the shot, her mouth does not move.
- When Gary shows SpongeBob how to tie his shoes, SpongeBob says "Hopping clams!" but his mouth hangs open.
- Even though the customers say that they are going to the Chum Bucket, they walk another direction instead of straight ahead where the Chum Bucket is.
- On the December 4, 2018, airing, captions skip the first explanation: ("Go-go music plays on TV").
- The rooster crowing sound was different than in other episodes, where it had the trademark scallop crow.
- SpongeBob tripping over his untied shoelaces.
- SpongeBob asking everyone if they can show him how to tie his shoes.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|