- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Dancing anemone (debut)
- Gary the Snail
- Human football players (debut)
- Patrick Star
- Incidental 60
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 68
- Squidward Tentacles
- Shoelace snakes (debut)
- Old Man Walker
- Incidental 12
- Incidental 67
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Incidental 36
- Incidental 15
- Incidental 33
- Incidental 6
- Brown eel (debut)
- Sea urchins
- Cave monster (debut)
- Skeleton (debut)
- Burger Beard (in-series debut)
- Painted parrot (in-series debut)
- Flying Dutchman
- Monkey knot (debut)
The episode starts with SpongeBob watching a dancing anemone on TV, supposedly "looking for the sports channel." Patrick comes bursting through the door with his hands inside a pair of new shoes. When SpongeBob asks to see them on his feet, Patrick confesses that he does not know how to tie his laces. SpongeBob says that he will teach Patrick, untying his shoes to demonstrate. However, SpongeBob's attempts to tie them again fail. After reminding Patrick that he's late for something, Patrick rushes out of the Pineapple saying that they'll have to do the lesson later and SpongeBob faces the realization that he can't remember how to tie his shoes, as they have remained tied ever since his life began. When a good night's sleep fails to jog his memory, he decides to set the problem aside for the time being and get a move on to work. Moving, however, presents a problem as SpongeBob trips over his untied laces every step of the way to the Krusty Krab.
SpongeBob finally arrives, only to find Patrick already there eating a Krabby Patty. Not wanting to look foolish in front of Patrick, he pounds his feet through the floorboards so that Patrick can't see them. Patrick only suspects SpongeBob of dieting, so SpongeBob takes care to keep his shoes hidden as he trudges to the kitchen. Even through his exhaustion, SpongeBob realizes he still has to cook, and that doing so standing in one spot will be simple enough. However, bringing the order to Squidward across the room presents a daunting challenge. He tries shuffling over, millimeters at a time, but gets practically nowhere. With one gingerly step forward, he trips and catapults the Krabby Patty into Squidward's mouth. This mishap repeats several times until Squidward is engorged with Krabby Patties, which makes the customers angry.
Mr. Krabs, occupied with a crossword in the bathroom, hears disgruntled customers leaving to eat at the Chum Bucket. He bursts out with his pants down and demands to know why his customers have left. Squidward replies with some difficulty that SpongeBob is to blame, and Mr. Krabs calls for SpongeBob to present himself. Feeling ashamed, SpongeBob tells Mr. Krabs that he cannot remember how to tie his shoes and asks him for help. Mr. Krabs solemnly informs him that he does not wear shoes.In desperation, SpongeBob starts asking anyone he can find if they know how to tie a knot. Failing to find someone who wears shoes, SpongeBob's cries of anguish summon The Flying Dutchman. As it so happens, the Dutchman has held the title of Fancy Knotting Contest Champion for 3,000 years and is confident he can teach SpongeBob a thing or two about knots. He demonstrates various knots of increasing complexity but is stumped when SpongeBob asks for a knot for tying shoes. The Dutchman admits that he has no need to tie his shoes as, being a ghost, he no longer has feet. This fact does not impede his enjoyment of wearing a sock on his ghostly tail. SpongeBob drags himself home thinking that his shoes will forever remain untied, but Gary, surprisingly, ties his shoes for him. Gary also reveals that he wears a pair. Amazed, SpongeBob asks Gary where he learned to tie them. Gary reveals a record player underneath his shell and puts on a record of the song "Loop de Loop," which finally teaches SpongeBob how to tie his shoes perfectly.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Stars and Games - Alf Saro [SpongeBob watching TV]
‣ Steve's March - Sam Spence [sports channel]
‣ Hawaiian Hula - Terry Day [Patrick's new shoes]
‣ Vibe Link (b) - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob forgets how to tie his shoes]
• Gator - Steve Belfer ["Now the lesson will officially begin."]
‣ Time for Bed [#35.01] - Mark Emney [SpongeBob as an amoeba]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [the next morning/SpongeBob's shoes still untied]
‣ Grand Orchestral Fanfare - Gregor F. Narholz ["Cause I'm ready!"]
‣ Final Resolution [#20] - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob sees Patrick]
‣ The Rake Hornpipe - Robert Alexander White ["Hey, SpongeBob, you're shorter."/"Those patties aren't going to cook themselves, SpongeBob."]
‣ The Land is Ours - Gregor F. Narholz ["Laces or no laces!"]
‣ Revelation - Dick Stephen Walter ["Ta-da! A perfect patty."]
‣ Shock (e) - Dave Hewson [SpongeBob's shoelaces looking hideous very briefly]
‣ Shock - Cornelus Joh Bolten [SpongeBob's shoelaces wrap themselves around him]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob trips on his shoelaces]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob crying]
‣ Spanish Ladies (b) - Robin Jeffrey, Tim Laycock [Krabs doing a crossword puzzle]
‣ Furtive Footsteps - Paddy Kingsland [SpongeBob slowly emerges from the kitchen]
‣ Shock Horror (a) - Dick Stephen Walter ["I don't wear shoes."]
‣ Flight in Panic 1 - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob asking everyone how to tie shoes]
‣ Malleus Mallificarum (a) - Dave Hewson [Flying Dutchman appears]
‣ In the Crypt - David Hewson ["So, you want to tie knots, do ya?"]
‣ Romeo & Juliet Overture - Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky, Fiachra Trench ["Hooray!"]
‣ The Twin Sisters - Chelmsford Folk Band [Dutchman tying knots]
‣ Island Romance - Jan Rap [SpongeBob crawling home]
‣ Nostalgic Hawaii - George de Fretes, Jan Rap [Gary ties SpongeBob's shoes]
◦ Loop de Loop - Ween [Ending]
- This episode is available on the Lost at Sea, Complete 2nd Season, First 100 Episodes, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 2, Ghouls Fools, Imitation Krabs, Exposed!: The Ultimate Box Set, Beach Bob, Holiday Cruise Collection, Your Shoes are Loose, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, The Complete Second Season, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, From the Beginning, Pt.1, SpongeBob ScaryPants Collection, The First & Second Seasons, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- This episode is also available on the Lost at Sea and Anchors Away VHS tapes.
- "Your Shoe's Untied" was ranked #25 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- The scene at the beginning where SpongeBob watches the sea anemone dancing on TV was in 5th place during the "Top 100 Greatest Moments in Nicktoon History."
- This is the first episode to have a title card be written in cursive.
- This is the first episode to use digital ink and paint in both episode order and production order.
- Before airing on Nickelodeon in February 17, 2001, this episode was released standalone on the "American Cartoons" on June 30, 2000.
- This is the first episode to have five opening credit titles.
- This is the first episode where Painty the Pirate appears outside of the series' theme song.
- This is the second episode to end with a song. The first is "Help Wanted."
- The football teams that are playing on the sports channel are the Tampa Bay Bandits and the Houston Gamblers from the USFL.
- In most other episodes that feature the Krusty Krab, the grill that SpongeBob cooks on is right by the order window, but it is the opposite position in this episode.
- Patrick's shoes appear to be navy-blue high-top Converse All-Stars.
- Innuendo: SpongeBob watches a sea anemone dancing, but then Gary arrives and he quickly changes to the sports channel in embarrassment, suggesting he was watching something inappropriate.
- This was the first episode to use the new, smaller captions, which would be used until "The Thing."
- It is revealed that Gary can roar like a lion.
- It is also revealed that Gary wears shoes.
- In the Bahasa Indonesia dub, the scene where SpongeBob asks everyone in Krusty Krab out of despair about how to wear his shoe often cuts to his house during its airing. This was due to time constraints and commercial breaks.
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Rozwiązany but," which translates to "The Untied Shoe."
- In the Croatian dub, the episode's title is "Odvezana Cipla," also meaning "The Untied Shoe."
- SpongeBob can tie his shoes in "Rock Bottom," but he cannot in this episode and says they have been tied since he was in an egg.
- Even though the customers say that they are going to the Chum Bucket, they walk another direction instead of straight ahead where the Chum Bucket is.
- The background for when the episode shows "Loop de Loop" is the same background for the title card of "Sleepy Time," minus the black aura, and it is more zoomed in.
- As of 2020, The Flying Dutchman's line "And stop staring at me with them big ol' eyes!" became a minor Internet meme.
- The monkey's fist knot is an actual knot used both as decoration and to hold a weight at the end of a rope, making the rope easier to toss. Using anything heavier than a rubber ball as weight, however, presents a danger of injuring someone who fails to catch it.
- The song "Loop de Loop" is performed by Ween, whose song "Ocean Man" would later be used first in the credits for The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.
- After SpongeBob flips to the sports channel, the wide shot is shown again and the TV has no plug-in cord.
- When SpongeBob says that one must start with their right foot to tie their shoes, he lifts his left foot instead.
- Patrick never closes the door at SpongeBob's house, making his exit crashing the door off its hinges are inconsistent.
- During the part when Squidward burps and says "It's SpongeBob's fault," the Galley Grub is missing.
- When Old Man Walker says "What's the hold-up?" to Squidward, he talks in a young man's voice.
- On the crossword puzzle, Mr. Krabs writes the word "money" horizontally to also complete the word "money" vertically, yet he should have naturally already filled in the 'Y' of the vertical "money."
- When the customers start to leave the Krusty Krab, Harold wears a pair of pants that are similar to SpongeBob's. However, when the customers leave, Harold's pants disappear.
- When Mr. Krabs is talking to SpongeBob in the dining room, Squidward somehow disappears despite being in his workstation earlier.
- When SpongeBob arrives at his house, the lights are off. After Gary ties his shoes, they are suddenly on.
- Several audio goofs occur in this episode.
- When Mr. Krabs says "Haha, that's all?" after SpongeBob tells him he forgot to tie his shoes, his mouth does not sync with the words completely.
- When Tom says "Uh, fins" after SpongeBob asks him if he can show him how to tie his shoes, his mouth does not move.
- When SpongeBob asks the brown eel how to tie his shoes, after the eel's face pans back into the shot, her mouth does not move.
- When Gary shows SpongeBob how to tie his shoes, SpongeBob says "Hopping clams!" but his mouth hangs open.
- Nick on Demand en Español aired this and its sister episode, "Squid's Day Off," in English.
- SpongeBob tripping over his untied shoelaces.
- SpongeBob asking everyone if they can show him how to tie his shoes.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|