- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Nathiel Waters
- Squidward Tentacles
- Sandy Cheeks
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Mrs. Puff
- Gary the Snail
- Bubble Bass (cameo)
- Angry Old Timer (debut)
- Sheldon J. Plankton (cameo in a drawing)
- Fred (blue)
- Mrs. Tentacles (cameo in a photo)
- Bikini Bottomites
- Nazz-Mimi (blonde hair)
- Officer John Slugfish
- Unnamed kid (debut)
At SpongeBob's house, SpongeBob and Patrick are bored playing with sticks but an advertisement appears that attracts them to a new toy, called the Whirly Brain, which involves one detaching their brain from their head and putting it on a propeller. Intrigued, they buy the toy and fly their brains around town to spy on citizens and pull pranks.
After getting eggs thrown at them, a kid tells SpongeBob and Patrick that everyone has Whirly Brains and not just them.
Patrick, SpongeBob, and the unnamed kid race but SpongeBob and Patrick's brains land into an old man's house and he takes them as his own. After literally losing their minds, SpongeBob and Patrick (the latter seemingly figuratively losing his) begin to panic as they cannot find their brains. With an idea, SpongeBob calls Sandy on the phone and she uses a missing brain detector to find the brains.
Sandy's detector leads to the same old man who found their brains. She asks kindly but the old man is snoring. However, Sandy just walks in and they try to look for the brains. The floor creaks and he wakes up, but Sandy puts a fight with the old man. SpongeBob accidentally trips onto the barrel, and all of the brains fly free, and all of them go back to their original being.
The old man cries because he doesn't get to have fun, but Sandy and SpongeBob hook the latter's propeller onto the old man so he can fly in the air too.
It frightens the lady fishes as they run round in circles at the Shady Shoals building. Squidward then appears, going crazy thinking the martians have landed. The episode ends with him yelling "YOU'RE NEXT!" twice.
On December 18, 2015, Vincent Waller tweeted some early production work of the first season 10 episode. As noted on a photo of the script, the first draft was dated November 30, 2015 and the board draft December 4, 2015.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob and Patrick beat a cup with two sticks.]
‣ Fly by Night - Montague Ewing [Whirly Brain commercial]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (f) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob's TV gets ripped in half.]
‣ Fly by Night - Montague Ewing [End of commercial]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob tries to open Patrick's head.]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob puts on a scary mask.]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer ["It's just me, Patrick."]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [Patrick puts the mask on.]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [The propeller is attached to SpongeBob's brain.]
‣ Weekend Break - Phil Green, Geoffrey Love, Ken Thorne ["It's time to free our minds."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (s) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Patrick, no more eye bumps, okay?"]
‣ 12th Street Rag 3 with Bass - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick fly their brains around the former's house.]
‣ Latin Lounge - Richard Myhill [Squidward is taking a bath.]
‣ Fooling Around 2 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob and Patrick look for Squidward.]
‣ Alien Spacecraft (a) - Gregor Narholz [Squidward sees SpongeBob and Patrick's floating brains.]
‣ Long Distance Mission [#20] - Phil Green ["Aliens from Mars! It's an invasion!"]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob and Patrick play with their brains near the jewelry store.]
‣ Parisienne Episodes [#13] - Gerhard Trede [SpongeBob and Patrick's brains appear at Le Cafe.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick laugh.]
‣ Bella Italia - Bruno Bertoli [Mr. Krabs and Mrs. Puff are on a date.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Mrs. Puff inflates.]
‣ Buffoonery - Van Phillips [Other kids with Whirly Brains]
‣ Domestic Fun (c) - Ernest Tomlinson [Fred gets hit by a Whirly Brain.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (o) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Hooray!"]
‣ Monster Wave - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez, James King [Whirly Brains race to the end of the street.]
‣ Long Distance Mission [#20] - Phil Green [The old timer captures SpongeBob and Patrick's brains.]
‣ Planet Surface - Gregor Narholz [SpongeBob says they have lost their minds.]
‣ A Casual Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob and Patrick look for their brains.]
‣ Space Horizons - Wolf Helling [Everyone calls out for their brains.]
‣ Humorous Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob, Patrick, and Sandy enter the old timer's house.]
‣ Masked Crusader 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [The old timer threatens to call the cops.]
‣ Clownfish Capers - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [All the brains are freed.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (j) - Jeremy Wakefield [The old timer cries.]
‣ Rip Tide - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick donate their propellers to the old timer.]
‣ Straight from Hell 10 - Gregor Narholz [The ending]
- The title card is similar to that of "The Inside Job," as both include brains as the background.
- This episode marks the first appearance of the Jewelry Store within the series. The store was previously seen in the video games SuperSponge and Employee of the Month.
- This was Bob Jaques' first episode as an animation director.
- This is the second episode to show a cage in SpongeBob's house. The first is "The Fish Bowl."
- This episode reveals that Mr. Krabs and Mrs. Puff have been secretly dating for the last 16 years, indicating that since the events of the episode "Krusty Love," they never stopped seeing each other.
- In spite of this, in the episode "Summer Job," Mrs. Puff believed Mr. Krabs was asking her on a date as if they have never dated before.
- In the back alley where Mr. Krabs and Mrs. Puff have a date, the walls of one of the buildings has the word "Sharks" and "Pods" written in graffiti, referencing the season 9 episode "Sharks vs. Pods."
- The fourth wall is broken at the end of this episode when Squidward runs and looks at the camera yelling "You're next!"
- This episode and "Mermaid Pants" are the only season 10 episodes to premiere in 2016.
- This is the fourth appearance of Shady Shoals Rest Home without Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy. The first is "Doing Time," the second is "Gramma's Secret Recipe," and the third is "Bulletin Board."
- This episode is set after 2012 because Evelyn is seen using a smartphone, which are almost completely commonplace since after 2012.
- This episode premiered 13 years after Nickelodeon Toon Twister 3-D was released, seven years after "Atlantis SquarePantis, Part 2" premiered in Poland, three years after the It's a SpongeBob Christmas! Blu-ray was released, and two years after the It Came from Goo Lagoon DVD was released.
- This episode premiered in Canada seven years after "Blackened Sponge" and "Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob" premiered in Poland.
- This episode premiered in the UK one year after "Tutor Sauce" premiered in the same region.
- The title and the product featured in the episode is a possible reference to Whirlybirds.
- Whirly Brains are a reference to remote-control helicopters and toy drones.
- Patrick's line "M-O-O-N! That spells 'moon!'" is a reference to Stephen King's novel The Stand and its miniseries adaptation, which also featured Bill Fagerbakke in the role of Tom Cullen.
- On DirecTV, this episode is listed in "Season 9, Episode 29," instead of "Season 10, Episode 1."
- During the original United States premiere for this episode on October 15, 2016, Bob Jaques was misspelled as "Bob Jacques." This was corrected on the digital releases 2 weeks later on October 29, 2016 when the sister episode segment "Mermaid Pants" premiered. It's also corrected on all American reruns, all international airings, and on The Complete Tenth Season DVD.
- In the French version, Ed Asner was accidentally credited as executive producer.
- On airings of the German dub, the title card is mistakenly cut out.
- When Patrick starts up his Whirly Brain, he is holding the controller upside-down, but in the next shot, he is holding it correctly. In the next scene, it is once again upside-down, and in the rest, including the very next shot, it is being held correctly.
- When Squidward sees Patrick's brain floating up and down, he screams out "Aliens from Mars!" while wearing a shirt, but in the next shot, he is not wearing a shirt.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick shout "Whirly brains are go!," their moving mouths freeze as a bubble transition comes on the screen.
- In a shot of the angry old timer's house right before Sandy comes in, there's a sign that says, "No Trespassing." However, the word "Trespassing" is misspelled as "Tresspassing" with an extra S added in.
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/652757750686969856
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/655028337652318208
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/677995762018476033
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/762764922522443776
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/763544816747622401
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/754427889634770944