- Patchy the Pirate (intro sequence)
- Gary the Snail
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- CheeseHead BrownPants (debut)
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Patrick Star
- Margie Star (indirectly mentioned)
- Sandy Cheeks
- Sandy's robot (debut)
- Mr. and Mrs. Dollar (debut)
- Wild crab (debut)
- Sound effect fish (debut)
- Light purple sound effect fish
- Light yellow sound effect fish
- Perch Perkins
- Bob Preflumster
- Incidental 154
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 22
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 108
- Incidental 103 (normal; lavender)
- Incidental 42
- Pirate 12
- Incidental 34
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 106
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 107
- Incidental 48
- Old Man Walker
- Incidental 30
- Incidental 60
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 7 (normal; lavender)
- Incidental 95
- Incidental G15
- Incidental G19
- Incidental G12
- Incidental 144 (green)
- Incidental G2
- Incidental G5
- Incidental 142
- Incidental G7
- Incidental 2
- Incidental G13
- Incidental G10
- Incidental 45
- Incidental G6
- Incidental 24
- Incidental 9
- Incidental M3
- Incidental CM13
- Incidental CM23
- Incidental 30A
- Incidental 63 (gray)
- Construction foreman
- Chubby customer
- Blue kid fish (green)
- Incidental K1's mother
- King Neptune (mentioned)
- Triton (indirectly mentioned)
- The Bubble Poppin' Boys (debut)
- Male judge
- Brad Ted
- Near Mint Comic Books cashier
- Balding guy
- Mrs. Poecilia
- Judge (female)
- Male cowfish
- Goofy Goober (undisguised)
- Ballerina whale
- Big fish
- Green kid fish
- Other New Kelpers
In this episode, SpongeBob wakes up on a usual day. He looks out his window and sees the mailman riding by on his bike. He says "Hi" to the mailman. This greeting causes the mailman to get distracted, and a truck crashes into him. After that, SpongeBob wants to spend time with his friends; however, he ends up upsetting them: he accidentally breaks Gary's shell, ruins Patrick's cake for his mother's birthday, disturbs Squidward's beauty sleep (as usual), destroys Sandy's new invention (a robot), and accidentally deep fries Mr. Krabs' money, and himself. After everyone furiously tells him to go away and angrily calls him "Idiot Boy," a devastated SpongeBob, who believes that all his friends hate him, and feeling guilty for causing so much trouble, decides to leave Bikini Bottom. After saying good-bye to Gary, who just hisses at him due to still being upset, and leaving him a year’s supply of food, he does precisely that. At night, SpongeBob is scared by mysterious figures in the shadows. While he runs from the creatures, SpongeBob falls off a cliff and bumps his head. After noticing a lump on his head, SpongeBob gets knocked unconscious by his bundle.
Back in Bikini Bottom, Patrick, who is oblivious to how much he hurt SpongeBob’s feelings earlier, is knocking on SpongeBob's door, wanting to borrow his hot sauce for his milkshake. He is approached by Sandy, who is wondering where SpongeBob is, also oblivious to the fact SpongeBob is gone. Hearing that Patrick has no clue where SpongeBob is and having no time to wait for him to answer the door, Sandy decided to karate their way into the Pineapple home. After entering the house, the two find Gary huge and overweight and moaning for SpongeBob to come help him due to having a stomachache from eating all the food that SpongeBob left him, oblivious to the fact that he left. Being asked what happened to him, Gary sadly shows Sandy and Patrick his food bowl with a note from SpongeBob inside, explaining that he has run away so that he wouldn't bother anyone ever again, which leaves both of them feeling remorseful, especially after the note reminds them that they cruelly called him "Idiot Boy."
Meanwhile, SpongeBob regains consciousness, then notices a fish couple, who thought he was taking a "dirt nap," as they try to steal his possessions but pretend to say that they were organizing them. Hearing one of the fish call him by name, SpongeBob becomes confused and unsure. After being asked if he doesn’t know his own name, SpongeBob explains to the fish couple that all he knows is that he hit his head but now he can't seem to remember anything. Hearing this, the fish couple realize that SpongeBob has amnesia as they decide to take advantage of his memory loss so they can steal his possessions by telling him that the items aren't his and give him a new name, "CheeseHead BrownPants." However, SpongeBob felt something in his pockets then reaches inside them to find a bottle of bubble soap, which causes the couple to run off for some reason. After the couple leaves, SpongeBob wonders what got into them. He then notices a city nearby.
At Bikini Bottom, everything is in chaos, especially the Krusty Krab, because SpongeBob is not there to give Krabby Patties. Mr. Krabs asks Squidward where SpongeBob is as he is freaking out that there are no Krabby Patties being made, then they both get into an argument after Squidward insults Mr. Krabs. However, after hearing Sandy and Patrick arriving, Mr. Krabs and Squidward are asked by them if they have seen SpongeBob. Hearing that none of them have seen him, Sandy shows the note SpongeBob left while informing Mr. Krabs and Squidward that he has left town due to causing trouble, and that he is not coming back. Mr. Krabs takes the note SpongeBob left from Sandy and reads it. After reading the note, Mr. Krabs sees that SpongeBob did write it, and that he left because everyone called him Idiot Boy. He then not only panics because the latter is gone, but also because he feels guilty for pushing him away, and he wonders how he'll survive without his best fry cook. Feeling guilt-ridden for being mean to SpongeBob as well, Patrick and Sandy break down crying, with the obvious exception of Squidward, who is delighted and remorselessly laughs in joy, even stating he would've slammed his door in his face even harder if he knew that would be the last time he would see him. Deciding to do a group meeting with just himself, Patrick, Sandy, and Squidward, Mr. Krabs kicks everyone out of the Krusty Krab, then tells everyone that the restaurant is closed until the group can find SpongeBob and bring him back to Bikini Bottom.
Meanwhile, SpongeBob wanders into New Kelp City, name of the city that he saw nearby before, where he bumps into a business man. Believing he tried to steel money from him, the business man tells SpongeBob that if he wants money then get a job and insults him, which makes him think that because of his amnesia and sadly continues walking. However, SpongeBob gets hungry but discovers that he's broke and attempts to get a job. Each time he gets a job, SpongeBob uses his bubble blowing ability to help him, though, like the couple he encountered, this strikes fear into all the residents of the city, therefore resulting in him being fired.
Back in Bikini Bottom, Sandy shows her friends her new invention that can track SpongeBob, the Sponge-Tracker. But Squidward, not wanting SpongeBob to come back, purposefully destroys the device with a hammer, claiming he dropped it. Furious and not buying his blatant lie, Mr. Krabs scolds Squidward for his action, then orders him to find SpongeBob, but he still refuses to help, even being unfazed when his boss threatens to fire him. Desperate to not only get his station working again, but also wanting his close friend back just as much as Patrick and Sandy do, Mr. Krabs comes up with the perfect method to get Squidward to cooperate with the search for SpongeBob as he offers him a jeweled Fabergé egg as a retirement gift, which the latter notes will complete his collection. However, Mr. Krabs tells Squidward that if he wants it, he'll have to bring SpongeBob back to Bikini Bottom. This offer finally convinces Squidward, who chooses his love of art over his hatred of SpongeBob, to help with the search party.
In New Kelp City, SpongeBob's bubble blowing activities attracts the attention of The Bubble Poppin' Boys, a menacing street gang who have scared the city into never blowing bubbles ever again since the bubbles burn their eyes. They decide to show him what they do to rule breakers by beating up a scared SpongeBob, who quickly runs off as the gang chases him until he is cornered. SpongeBob then uses his bubble blowing ability to trap them in a large bubble, and it sends them out the city, which frees the town of their reign. As a result, SpongeBob is rewarded the position of mayor of New Kelp City by its previous owner, who immediately retires. Meanwhile, Patrick, Sandy, and Squidward are searching for SpongeBob as they decided to stop at a gas station to see if anyone seen their friend. After noticing a newspaper with SpongeBob in it, Sandy sees that her friend is now mayor of New Kelp City.
Back in New Kelp City, SpongeBob is giving a speech while Patrick, Sandy and Squidward are in the audiences as they come to retrieve him. After SpongeBob gives his speech, Sandy uses a blow horn to get his attention as she tells the surrounding citizens and her friend that she doesn't mean to put a damper on the mood there, but Bikini Bottom needs him back. However, due to his amnesia, SpongeBob doesn't know who Sandy is or the town she is talking about. Sandy goes up on stage, then apologizes for lashing out at him before. Seeing Sandy more closely, SpongeBob became surprised to see her and she thought he was talking about finding him, but becomes shocked that he doesn't recognize her when he mistakes her for a weasel, which he is surprised about. Sandy thinks SpongeBob is pretending that he doesn't remember her, but he does apologize to her for not remembering her and comments that he probably would, although he still thinks she is a weasel. Patrick comes up on stage as he hopes that SpongeBob hasn't forgotten about him, then shows him a half of a friendship tattoo he has while he has the other half. However, seeing the tattoo, SpongeBob gets confused as to how he got that, then explains to the two that all he remembers is hitting his head, blowing some bubbles and now poof, he's mayor.
After hearing SpongeBob's explanation and realizing as to why he called himself CheeseHead BrownPants during his speech, Sandy is convinced that her friend really doesn't remember who he is or who they are as she concludes that he got his memory loss when he hit his head. Wanting to bring her friend home and help him, Sandy asks SpongeBob to come back with them to Bikini Bottom as she explains to him that the familiar surroundings of the town will bring his memory right back. However, SpongeBob refuses because everyone in New Kelp City needs his leadership. When SpongeBob gets into a limo to attend a meeting that he's late for, Sandy tries to stop him from leaving, but becomes surprised when the limo comes back around and is shocked to see that Squidward managed to hijack the vehicle. Sandy and Patrick get into the limo, and then Squidward drives everyone with SpongeBob back to Bikini Bottom.
They take SpongeBob back to the Krusty Krab, but he still can't recall anything. Although he is surprised to hear that SpongeBob doesn't recognize the eatery, Mr. Krabs thinks he is kidding, then gives him his spatula. However, Mr. Krabs realizes that SpongeBob really did lose his memory when he became surprised that he was a fry cook before. Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob that he's the best in his business, then asks him to get flipping. However, not entirely convinced of everyone's claims as to who and what he is, SpongeBob nicely tells them that he would like to, but he wants to return to New Kelp City and run as mayor, claiming it is a modest job. Squidward, who doesn't care if SpongeBob stays or not, demands the Fabergé egg from Mr. Krabs since he brought him back, on a technicality. Mr. Krabs sadly agrees and reluctantly hands Squidward the jeweled egg. As Squidward marvels on his new jeweled egg being so beautiful, he slips on the greasy spatula that SpongeBob put on the floor, causing the egg to fly out of his hands. The egg shatters as it hits SpongeBob on the head, much to Squidward's distress, and the impact gave him another lump. After getting a hold of himself and telling a concerned Sandy that he is fine but he just has a bit of a headache, SpongeBob realizes that his memory is returning when he recognizes the eatery. Overjoyed that their friend got his memory back, Mr. Krabs, also on behalf of Patrick, Sandy, and Squidward, tell SpongeBob how really sorry they all are for running him out town because of the harsh stuff they said about him, but they're glad he is back. Even though he wants to stay in Bikini Bottom and accepts his friends' apology, SpongeBob knows that New Kelp City needs their mayor. Everyone is confused and distraught that SpongeBob will leave again, except for Squidward, who is delighted at this as he feels that it will make up for the loss of his Faberge egg.
At that moment, a news report comes on the TV saying that the bubbles in New Kelp City are causing mayhem and that he can't see with all the bubbles. A thug then threatens SpongeBob if he ever came back to New Kelp City. Upon hearing this, SpongeBob has second thoughts about going back to New Kelp City and decides to remain in Bikini Bottom. Before the episode ends, a dismayed Squidward opens his head and throws his brain in a trash can.
- SpongeBob being called "Idiot Boy."
- Citizens of New Kelp City being scared of bubbles.
The episode was first announced by Nickelodeon on September 24, 2008 on a press release. According to the network, SpongeBob "wanders the ocean, a stranger in his own pants," and finds himself in a rough part of New Kelp City, where he faces off against The Bubble Poppin' Boys' gang leader.
- After Patrick says "Just a birthday cake for my mom that I spent all day baking," as he walks back into his rock, he turns around and looks back at SpongeBob and says "And now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going back to bake a 2nd birthday cake that I'll give my mother a day late!"
- After Sandy's robot breaks, Sandy angrily shows SpongeBob its broken head, throws it into his hands and orders him to leave with him backing away towards the door as Sandy approaches him.
- During the scene when the creepy people are scaring SpongeBob, a Scallop is shown crowing.
- After SpongeBob says "Ooh, boy! That's quite a lump!" Then he says "I better not hit my head again, that might cause a concussion."
- After all the people run away from the bubble SpongeBob blew, he says "What could possibly be wrong with practicing the bubble arts? Seems like a harmless activity."
- During SpongeBob's speech, he says "I can't say that I blame you."
|( ‣ ) Production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Open and End Fanfare - Nino Nardini ["Ahoy, it's a SpongeBob SquarePants special!"]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Ahoy, it's a SpongeBob SquarePants special!"]
• Bubble Popping Boys - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [title card]
‣ Marching to Honolulu - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob wakes up]
‣ Dramatic Impact (2) - Ivor Slaney [mailman hit by a truck]
‣ Dancing The Hula - Kapono Beamer ["Isn't life great, Gary?"]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch [Squidward wakes up]
‣ Dancing The Hula - Kapono Beamer ["...the best job..."]
• Krusty Krab Tango - Steve Marston ["He's already ten seconds late!"]
‣ Dancing The Hula - Kapono Beamer ["...and of course, the bestest[sic] pet!"]
• Steel Licks 9 - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'm sorry! I'm sorry!"]
• Gator - Steve Belfer [Patrick's cake ruined]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Ooh."]
• Flextone Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Wait, I know who will enjoy my company!"]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch ["Don't you ever wake me from my beauty sleep!"]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Sandy working on an invention]
• Birth of the Krabby Patty - Nicolas Carr [pan of robot]
• Closing the Door Sting - Nicolas Carr [robot's eyes light up]
• Kabuki Robot - Nicolas Carr [robot dances]
‣ Dramatic Impact (5) - Ivor Slaney [SpongeBob spills water on the robot]
• Steel Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield [robot explodes]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [at the Krusty Krab]
• Steel Licks 4 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob crashes into pots and pans]
‣ The Rake Hornpipe - Robert Alexander White [Krabs in his office]
‣ From the Dead - Ronald Hanmer [Krabs falls into grease fryer]
• Sad Solo Violins - Nicolas Carr, Ezra Kliger [money fried]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob kicked out]
• Three Hits - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob shocked]
‣ Pua Paoakalani B - Kapono Beamer, Queen Lili'uokalani [SpongeBob's sad]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob leaves town]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob hears something]
‣ Someone Coming - Raymond C. Jones [people making weird noises]
‣ Editor's Run Down (b) - Dick Stephen Walter [SpongeBob falling off cliff]
• Big Long Fall With Crashes - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob falling off cliff]
‣ Editor's Run Down (a) - Dick Stephen Walter [SpongeBob's hobo stick falls]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob's hit on the head]
• Closing the Door - Nicolas Carr [back at home...]
• Gator - Steve Belfer [Patrick knocking on SpongeBob's door]
‣ Drama Link (D) - Hubert Clifford ["We ain't got time for that!"]
‣ Drama Link (B) - Hubert Clifford [Gary's huge]
• ? Vibes - Nicolas Carr [note from SpongeBob]
‣ O Makalapua (b) - Kapono Beamer [Sandy reads it]
‣ Furtive Footsteps - Paddy Kingsland [SpongeBob wakes up with amnesia]
• Awe Zing - Nicolas Carr
‣ Drama Link (D) - Hubert Clifford ["Bubbles?!"]
• Bikini Bottom News Theme - Nicolas Carr [breaking news]
‣ West Side Rumble - Sam Spence ["Bikini Bottom is in a state of total chaos tonight."]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band ["Where the barnacles is SpongeBob?!"]
‣ Murder in Mind [#46] - Ronald Hanmer [Sandy and Patrick enter]
‣ Fates - Gregor F. Narholz [everyone's sad that SpongeBob's gone]
‣ What Shall We Do with the Drunken Sailor? - Okko Bekker ["The Krusty Krab is closed until further notice."]
‣ Bizarre Swing - Mark Winter [SpongeBob in New Kelp City]
‣ Surrender 6 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["I'm a jobless deadbeat?"]
‣ Surrender 8 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob getting hungry]
• Steel Licks 3 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Not a penny to my name."]
• Vibe Link - Nicolas Carr [Help Wanted sign at a bank]
• Awe Zing - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob blows a bubble]
‣ Drama Link (D) - Hubert Clifford ["What do you think you're doing?!"]
• Steel Licks 2 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob kicked out]
‣ Skyscraper City - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob as a construction worker]
‣ Joe Cool - Nino Nardini ["I do not understand this!"]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr [Sandy's sponge-tracking device]
• The Pollywog Strut - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Oh, you're saying this thing can actually find SpongeBob?"]
• Steel Licks 7 - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward destroys it]
• Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Krabs yells at Squidward]
• Carol Chimes - Nicolas Carr
• Mystery Chime - Nicolas Carr [Faberge egg]
‣ Angelic Choir - Jim Rattigan [Faberge egg]
‣ Tympup C - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy ["Not so fast."]
‣ Joe Cool - Nino Nardini [SpongeBob wandering through the city]
‣ Hawaiian Link (B) - Richard Myhill ["We're just waiting in line for a new video game."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (A) - Ronald Hanmer ["You can't do that here!"]
‣ Harp Gliss 1 - Otto Sieben [SpongeBob blows a bubble]
‣ Dramatic Cue (B) - Ronald Hanmer [everyone runs away]
• Bubble Popping Boys - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Bubble Poppin' Boys introduced/"Do you have any idea who we are?"]
‣ Hit and Run - Sam Spence [they chase SpongeBob/Bubble Poppin' Boys try to shoot down the bubble raft with slingshots]
‣ Chase That Car - Laurie Johnson [SpongeBob falls]
• Bongos Roll - Nicolas Carr
‣ Hit and Run - Sam Spence [SpongeBob traps BPBs inside a bubble]
‣ Champions March [#7] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Do you realize what you've done?"]
‣ Movie Overture - Larry Hochman [SpongeBob appointed mayor]
• Patchy's Parched Blues - Nicolas Carr [Sandy, Patrick and Squidward looking for SpongeBob]
• Seaweed 1 - Steve Belfer ["Oh, I knew I'd find you, buddy!"]
‣ Dramatic Impact (2) - Ivor Slaney ["SpongeBob's mayor of New Kelp City!"]
‣ Hail to the Chief A - Will Schaefer [SpongeBob's speech]
• New Vibe Hits 2007 - Nicolas Carr ["It's me, Sandy!"]
‣ Fight for Ol' Schaefer U. - Will Schaefer [SpongeBob and Patrick's tattoo]
‣ Hail to the Chief - George Wilson ["I'm late for a meeting."]
• Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward driving the limousine]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [at the Krusty Krab]
• Steel Licks 9 - Jeremy Wakefield ["I think I'll just go back to my modest job as mayor of a major city."]
• Steel Licks 10 - Jeremy Wakefield ["SpongeBob's leaving for real this time!"]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr [Krabs brings out the Faberge egg]
‣ Hallelujah Chorus from Messiah - George Frideric Handel [Krabs gives Squidward the Faberge egg]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Squidward slips]
‣ House of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [egg hits SpongeBob on the head]
• ? Vibes - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob recovers memory]
‣ Botany Bay (b) - Robert Alexander White ["We're really sorry we ran you out of town."]
• Bikini Bottom News Theme - Nicolas Carr [KNKC Special Report]
• Wahini Wobble Faster - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob's WhoBob WhatPants?, Season 5 Volume 2, First 100 Episodes, The Fifth & Sixth Seasons, SpongeBob SquarePants Specials Collection, Vol. 2, Really Big Box Set, Holidays with SpongeBob 3-DVD Gift Set, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, Triple Pack 1, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 8, Complete Fifth Season, From the Beginning, Part 2, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, On the Road Again, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, Favorite Episodes Volume 2, SpongeBob Pack: Volume 1, Big Hits: Volume 1, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- This episode was advertised as "WhoBob WhatPants?"
- In countries such as European countries (UK, Greece, Hungary, etc.) and Korea, this episode and "SpongeBob SquarePants and The Big Wave" were promoted as part of The Year of the Sponge - Think Happy, the show's 10th anniversary.
- A trailer for the episode was released in late July/August 2008 and could be viewed on Nick.com, but has not been found since 2009.
- On October 3, 2008, TurboNick featured a special playlist of content dedicated to the episode, including a sneak-peek of the special, themed episodes, short-form content, song clips, and an instant replay of the special following the television premiere.
- This is based on the book, For the Love of Bubbles. However, there are several differences.
- This is the first episode to play the track "Bubble Popping Boys."
- Rather than the usual traditional SpongeBob SquarePants Theme Song playing at the beginning of the episode, instead the "SpongeBob SquarePants" parts have been altered to say "WhoBob WhatPants."
- However, in Central and Eastern European airings, the audio remains the same, but the intro is the same as the regular one.
- This is the third and final half hour special from season 5. The first is "Friend or Foe," and the second is "Pest of the West."
- Gary doesn't say "Idiot Boy" when breaking the shell by SpongeBob, before crushing or ruining Patrick's cake for his mom's birthday.
- The bad deeds SpongeBob causes, resulted in him being called "Idiot Boy," are:
- Breaking Gary's shell
- Causing Patrick to fall into his birthday cake meant for Margie
- Waking Squidward
- Shorting out Sandy's robot
- Dropping Mr. Krabs' money in the deep fryer
- This is how SpongeBob saying "Idiot Boy" and saying goodbye (except Gary the Snail, who broke the shell, and Mr. Krabs), including:
- Bikini Bottom
- Life as I know it
- The only main characters SpongeBob does not cause trouble for are Plankton, Mrs. Puff, and Pearl.
- This is the second episode to play the whole APM Music track, "Hawaiian Cocktail." This first episode is "Clams." But this time, the track is played at a higher pitch.
- In "New Digs," SpongeBob was one minute late, and Mr. Krabs was okay with this. In this episode, he is not okay with SpongeBob being ten seconds late. He, however, did say "don't do it again!".
- Bikini Bottom's population is revealed to have been 538 (SpongeBob crosses out the "8" before leaving, so the population was 537 for the duration of this episode).
- However, the population is shown to be greater than this in some episodes; in "Patty Hype" for example, SpongeBob implies there's at least 46,853.
- Mr. Krabs reads SpongeBob's note without an eyesight problem, but in "Greasy Buffoons," he reads it with glasses on.
- This is the second time Sandy cries. The first time was in "Texas."
- The fish is also the one who ordered the Monster Krabby Patty in the episode "All That Glitters."
- After Squidward destroys the Sponge-Tracker, Mr. Krabs' nose swells up and explodes with a jet of water. Real-life crabs can do this, but instead, they squirt water from their eyes.
- Squidward's hatred for SpongeBob is demonstrated in this episode, as he attempts to sabotage the search efforts, to the point where Mr. Krabs has to bribe him.
- The mayor of New Kelp City appears in the episodes, "Doing Time," "The Great Snail Race," and "Drive Thru." He appears again in the episode "Safe Deposit Krabs" where he is at the grand opening of the Bank of Bikini Bottom Bank.
- The handcrafted jewel encrusted ornamental egg was presumably a fake as jewels and diamonds are extremely hard and wouldn't break easily upon hitting somebody's head.
- Most of the citizens of New Kelp City are citizens of Bikini Bottom.
- This is the first episode where SpongeBob appeared on a title card. SpongeBob will next appear on the title card as a drawing in "Oral Report," as a cutout in "Restraining SpongeBob," and in a close-up view in "InSPONGEiac."
- This is the first episode where Mr. Krabs gets deep fried golden brown. He would later get deep fried golden brown again in "Mermaid Pants."
- This is the first episode where SpongeBob tries to get a job at a bank and a construction site. The second is in "Model Sponge."
- This is the first episode where Patrick lifts up a road. The second is in "Squid Baby."
- This is the second episode to have an alternate opening sequence. The first is "Christmas Who?," the third is "Truth or Square," and the fourth is "It's a SpongeBob Christmas!"
- This is the second episode with a full character displayed on the title card. The first was Plankton and Mr. Krabs on the "Friend or Foe" title card.
- This is the second time SpongeBob is mistaken for cheese (and the first in the series). The first time was in the video game Nicktoons Unite! when Timmy Turner first meets SpongeBob.
- This is the second episode that SpongeBob is homeless. The first was "Home Sweet Pineapple."
- This is the third (and final) episode to use the opening scene where Patchy the Pirate says, "Ahoy, it's a SpongeBob SquarePants special." The first was "Have You Seen This Snail?" and the second was "Pest of the West."
- This is the only episode to be longer than 20 minutes and to be dubbed and broadcast in Welsh. However, it is split up into two parts.
- The title card music for this episode is not used again until "Sharks vs. Pods," 100 episodes later.
- In this episode, SpongeBob's water helmet has two openings instead of one, the same happens in "Tea at the Treedome," "Chimps Ahoy," and "Squidtastic Voyage."
- This is the fourth episode to have a question mark in its name.
- The first is "Christmas Who?," the second is "Can You Spare a Dime?," and the third is "Have You Seen This Snail?."
- In the Indonesian version, the final scene showing Squidward throwing his brain to the trash bin was cut. This is most likely due to organ-damaging reasons.
- Also the scene where SpongeBob crosses out the Bikini Bottom's total population was cut for unknown reasons. 
- Also, the "Patchy the Pirate Presents: A SpongeBob SquarePants Special" intro is moved after the theme song and before the title card for unknown reasons.
- In the Italian dub, from the scene where SpongeBob wakes up after hitting his head onward to the last minutes of the episode, he was voiced by Enzo Iacchetti, known Italian singer and conductor.
- In the Latin Spanish dub, this will be the last episode where Luis Pérez Pons gives voice to Mr. Krabs, because of the seasons that followed, from 6-9, he was replaced by Carlos Vitale because Pons had salary problems with the studio where the series was recorded and it would not be until the second film that these problems would be resolved so that he would return to the character (it should be noted that during the recording of the film and a couple of months later the voice of Mr. Krabs continued to be Vitale, until the recording was finished the first half of season 9 and added to the fact that Carlos Vitale retired from the dubbing that Luis Pérez Pons would definitively return to the character for the second half of season 9 and subsequent seasons).
- This episode has some similarities to the A Pup Named Scooby-Doo episode Dog Gone Scooby. In both episodes, both of the main characters, SpongeBob and Scooby-Doo, accidentally cause trouble that made their friends mad and they run away and their friends (except Squidward) become remorseful about their actions and they try to find them. Also, both SpongeBob and Scooby run away from a bad guy; in SpongeBob's case it was the Bubble Poppin' Boys, while in Scooby's case it was Paula P. Casso. The only difference was that in the former, SpongeBob defeated the Bubble Poppin' Boys while in the latter, Paula redeemed herself and painted Scooby's head for her picture.
- The title of the episode may be a parody of the novel, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? by Henry Farrell, complete with the words "what" and "ever" being separate from each other.
- New Kelp City is a parody of New York City, a city in the United States.
- The Bubble Poppin' Boys are a parody of The Burger Palace Boys in the original musical film Grease.
- There is a hole on the top of SpongeBob's water helmet; however, when he goes back out into the water outside the treedome, one could still see his water helmet on despite being underwater.
- When "Mr. Dollar and Mrs. Dollar" are in the grease, instead of sinking in and never coming back out, they get deep fried and break apart. This scene may have just been Mr. Krabs fantasizing, though.
- During the intro of this episode, after SpongeBob's pants falls off, his skin tone gets slightly brighter. Just later, when he gets his pants back on, his skin tone gets back to the original season 1 tone.
- When Mr. Krabs kicks SpongeBob out of the Krusty Krab, he lands on the opposite of the Krusty Krab. However, that is where the Chum Bucket is supposed to be.
- The same error is present when SpongeBob enters the Krusty Krab, when the angry mob surrounds it, and when SpongeBob is brought back there in the end.
- SpongeBob's house is missing the chimney in one scene.
- In the scene where Sandy brushes through the door, Patrick lands on his milkshake, but his milkshake remains intact, which is physically impossible unless it went up to his mouth.
- When the construction foreman says, "You aren't doing that on my building site! You're fired!," he seems shorter than usual, while he was hiding behind a pile of wood.
- When Squidward says, "You mean this can actually find SpongeBob?" his voice is out of sync with the animation.
- When the line of people are afraid of the bubble, it would have realistically either floated upward or popped before it got to the front of the line.
- After his bubble boat pops, it appears as if SpongeBob is about to fall onto the sidewalk, but he lands on the street instead.
- When Squidward is shown driving SpongeBob's limo, the front flag is missing.
- SpongeBob's tooth turns yellow after he says, "Hey Patrick! How goes it?"
- When Patrick scolds SpongeBob for ruining his cake, SpongeBob's eyelashes are missing.
- After Squidward slips on the greasy spatula and the egg is about to fall on the ground, it disappears for some frames.
- ^ https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/CU0906/S00298/sponge-fever-hits-nz-this-july-school-holidays.htm
- ^ https://clubpenguinpins.wordpress.com/2009/07/14/spongebobs-birthday-today-24-years-old/
- ^ https://port.hu/forum/spongyabob-kockanadrag/4563?sort=-date&per-page=50&comment=2708204&page=12
- ^ http://www.toonzone.net/pr-spongebob-squarepants-whobob-whatpants-guest-starring-ray-liotta/#.UYSWPKL-G5I
- ^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hofligmooyo
- ^ https://www.allkpop.com/article/2009/07/eun-ji-won-does-spongebob
- ^ http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02yvz09
|WhoBob WhatPants (V • E)|
|Part of Think Happy - The Year of the Sponge|
Miscellaneous: DVD • Book • My Name is CheeseHead book • For The Love of Bubbles book • Online game • WhoBob WhatPants?-a-thon • Theme song • Best Bikini Bottom Stories Ever! • Happiness to Go! • On the Road Again • SpongeBob SquarePants Specials Collection, Vol. 2 • From the Beginning, Pt.1 • SpongeShorts • Big Hits: Volume 1 • From the Beginning, Part 2 • Triple Pack 1 • Season 5 Volume 2 • The Complete Fifth Season • The First 100 Episodes • The Best 200 Episodes Ever