"Whale Watching" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season eleven. In this episode, Mr. Krabs hires Squidward to babysit Pearl for the night, but she just wants to sneak out to a cool teen party.
- SpongeBob SquarePants (2 cameos)
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Pearl Krabs
- French Narrator
- Dylan (debut)
- Grandpa Redbeard (cameo)
- Boys Who Cry (in a poster)
- Bikini Bottomites
Pearl is seen with Dylan who has taken her home and suggests that Pearl goes to a breech party with him. Swooned, Pearl flies through the door, causing Mr. Krabs to replace it. Mr. Krabs also says that he won't let Pearl go to the party as Mr. Krabs is out to play cards with the boys and he has Squidward come over to babysit Pearl. As soon Squidward gets there, Mr. Krabs says that he can get a SpongeBob-free shift once a week if he successfully babysits Pearl for the night, otherwise if anything bad happens to Pearl, he will let SpongeBob pester him. Mr. Krabs shows SpongeBob to him to emphasize his threat before he leaves. Pearl wants to go to the party and just let Squidward watch the house. She nearly leaves but Squidward reels Pearl back in, so he can watch over her.
Squidward suggests that Pearl plays with a whale doll, color in a coloring book, or listen to music, however, Pearl runs off to her room as she makes up a plan to sneak at the party. Pearl's plan works by first making a paper gravestone of Squidward to scare him out of Pearl's room, uses a papier-mâché figure of her head to make it look like she's sleeping, and then makes a secret passage created by cutting through the wall with her tears. Squidward wakes up when Pearl drops the house to sneak out and finds that Pearl has gone with Dylan to the party and chases after them.
The party takes place at the surface, where a lot of teenagers are hanging out. Pearl and Dylan start to have fun such as roasting marshmallows and dancing to music, but Squidward comes and clamors that Pearl needs to get home. Pearl refuses, and Squidward starts to crash the party by playing jazz on his clarinet and playing with yoyos. Pearl decides to jump over the surface as an act, but lands on Bikini Atoll, leaving her beached up on the atoll and beg for help. The other teens and Dylan then make a run for it so they don't get in trouble. Pearl admits that it's no longer coral and that she wants to go home, so Squidward pumps air into Pearl’s blowhole to make her unstuck and then bikes home.
Pearl is depressed that Dylan ditched her, and starts to cry again. Squidward, however, has a way to get revenge on him.
The episode ends with Squidward and Pearl placing a paper bag with SpongeBob in front of Dylan's house, causing Dylan to get chased by a crazed SpongeBob while Pearl and Squidward laugh at Dylan's misfortune.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ All Hands Forward - Gerald Crossman [Title card]
‣ Surfing Sounds - Jim Gaffney, Patrick Wilson [Opening]
‣ Sailor's Sting 28 - "Again!?"
‣ ? ["But Daddy...!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I can't be worrying about you all night, honey."]
‣ King of the Giants (d) - John Fox, Otto Sieben [Pearl cries heavily.]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [Krabs' butt revealed.]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Close-up of Krabs' butt.]
‣ Twilight Serenade - Bert Weedon [Krabs tells Pearl that Squidward is babysitting her.]
‣ In Pursuit - Alan Wynn [Krabs locks windows.]
‣ Happy Sack Shanty - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Squidward, thanks for keeping an eye on my little Pearl tonight."]
‣ Terror by Night - Hubert Clifford [Mr. Krabs threatens Squidward with SpongeBob.]
‣ Droopy - Arthur Wilkinson ["Don't worry, Mr. Krabs, you can count on me."]
‣ Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward prevents Pearl from leaving, using a fishing pole.]
‣ Happy Harry - Robert Cobert [Squidward suggests Pearl to do different things.]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [Squidward notices Pearl's gone.]
‣ Mister Wobble - Jack Jordan [Squidward enters Pearl's bedroom.]
‣ Eight Dramatic Bridges - Ronald Hanmer [Squidward fears.]
‣ Mister Wobble - Jack Jordan ["Never mind, you seem to have that under control."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (k) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward goes outside Pearl's bedroom.]
‣ Space Age Guitar - Harold Geller, Desmond Champ [Dylan waiting outside house.]
‣ Hiding Place - Marc Dall'Anese [Pearl escapes from his house.]
‣ Solo Steel 4 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Oh, you asleep?"]
‣ Eight Dramatic Bridges - Ronald Hanmer [Pearl's papier-mache head falls on the floor/Squidward falls down hole in wall.]
‣ Space Age Guitar - Harold Geller, Desmond Champ ["Oh, thanks for the ride, Dylan."]
‣ Eight Dramatic Bridges - Ronald Hanmer ["She's gone! Krabs is gonna kill me!"]
‣ Clumsy (c) - Bernd Gesell [Squidward inflates bicycle tire.]
‣ Greenhorn Rag - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward bikes after Pearl and Dylan.]
‣ Surf 02 158 D - Dieguis Productions/Big Fish Audio [Pearl and Dylan pass by "Surface" sign.]
‣ Mutations (c) [#55] - Trevor Duncan [Squidward discovers that Pearl and Dylan have gone to the surface.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (u) - Jeremy Wakefield ["SpongeBob...shift...mine!"]
‣ Surf Happy Fun (Underscore) - Billy Lincoln [Pearl and Dylan at the breach party.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield ["You have to come home right away!"]
‣ Swing It! - [Optigan sample] ["I'll even play you some jazz!"]
‣ ? - Nicolas Carr [Squidward playing clarinet.]
‣ Surf Happy Fun (Underscore) - Billy Lincoln [Pearl jumps onto the surface.]
‣ Alone in the Old House - Gregor Narholz [Pearl gets beached at the island.]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward blows Pearl with air.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (k) - Jeremy Wakefield [Pearl lands on Squidward's bike.]
‣ Hawaiian Theremin - Henry Gorman, Kat Green ["I can't believe Dylan ditched me! My life is over!"]
‣ M'Wanna - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward and Pearl arrive back home.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (l) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Really?"]
‣ Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward and Pearl arrive at Dylan's house with a paper bag.]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [Dylan sees paper bag.]
‣ Greenhorn Rag - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob comes out of the paper bag.]
- As of June 22, 2019, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.4/10 based on 103 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 0.0/10 based on 0 votes.
- This episode premiered in Russia on July 26, 2018, exactly 11 days before it premiered in the United States.
- The episode's title has a double meaning, referencing both the recreational activity of watching whales and the plot about Squidward babysitting Pearl for the night.
- The design of the title card's background is the same as the wallpaper in Pearl's bedroom, with the various tears referencing the scene where Pearl creates a paper-mâché gravestone using posters and her wallpaper.
- The episode reveals that Squidward used to babysit Pearl when she was a kid.
- This is SpongeBob's smallest physical role in an episode to date, surpassing the former holder, "Mall Girl Pearl," where he makes three cameos and laughs in two of them, but only has one line, which is in the very last scene.
- Pearl's friends from "Mall Girl Pearl" return.
- This episode reveals what Marina looks like when she is not working at Hotdog on a String.
- This marks Grandpa Redbeard's first appearance since "Lame and Fortune."
- This is the first episode in which Squidward interacts with Pearl since "Whale of a Birthday."
- This is the first episode to premiere after Cyma Zarghami, the former president of Nickelodeon, stepped down from the company on June 4, 2018.
- This is the second episode where SpongeBob appears, but has no lines. The first is "Reef Blower."
- However, unlike in "Reef Blower," SpongeBob laughs.
- This is the fifth episode to use stop-motion animation after "Frozen Face-Off," "Truth or Square," "It's a SpongeBob Christmas!," and "The Legend of Boo-Kini Bottom."
- When this episode first aired, it was paired up with "Mustard O' Mine."
- This episode premiered ten years after "Plankton's Regular" and nine years after "Roller Cowards" and "Bucket Sweet Bucket" premiered in Poland.
- In this episode, Pearl says that she does not know how to breach. However, Mr. Krabs states in "Bossy Boots" that he taught her how to breach.
- The breach party scenes take place in the nighttime, however, the surface scenes take place in the daytime.
- When Pearl falls back to the ocean, her shoes reappear on her feet after previously being pulled off.
- When Squidward accidentally removes Pearl's boots, her feet are depicted with toes despite her only having fins.