- SpongeBob SquarePants (2 cameos) (does not speak coherently)
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Pearl Krabs
- French Narrator
- Dylan (debut)
- Redbeard Krabs (cameo)
- Boys Who Cry (in a poster)
- Bikini Bottomites
The episode begins with Pearl being dropped off to her house by her boyfriend. She is excited while going home as she is excited to go to the party tonight, but when Mr. Krabs hears this, he says that since he's going to play cards with his friends, she's going to have Squidward babysit her, much to her dismay.
Squidward arrives to babysit Pearl as if he babysits her, he can have one shift per week without SpongeBob. Squidward tries to babysit Pearl, but she leaves while he is demonstrating what they could do. He goes upstairs to see what Pearl's doing but gets scared when he sees that Pearl made a "R.I.P. Squidward" model while she was pretending to do arts and crafts.
After getting Squidward out of her hair, Pearl goes through a secret entrance in her room to hop in Dylan's boat to go to the party. Squidward goes back inside the room to check on Pearl but thinks that she ripped her neck after seeing that what looked like Pearl was actually her head made out of crafts. After seeing Pearl going away with Dylan after falling into the secret entrance, Squidward follows them with his recumbent bicycle.
Pearl enjoys the party with her friends until Squidward arrives and tries to get her back. Dylan tells her to forget Squidward and go breaching, so she decides to do that. However, she ends up getting stuck on the shore, and everyone at the party escapes. Squidward ends up saving her, and the two ride home. The episode ends with Squidward and Pearl deciding to prank Dylan by mailing SpongeBob to him, as the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ All Hands Forward - Gerald Crossman [Title card]
‣ Surfing Sounds - Jim Gaffney, Patrick Wilson [Opening]
• Cheap and Frozen Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Again!?"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I can't be worrying about you all night, honey."]
‣ King of the Giants (d) - John Fox, Otto Sieben [Pearl cries heavily.]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr [Krabs' butt revealed.]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Close-up of Krabs' butt.]
‣ Twilight Serenade - Bert Weedon [Krabs tells Pearl that Squidward is babysitting her.]
‣ In Pursuit - Alan Wynn [Krabs locks windows.]
• Happy Sack Shanty - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Squidward, thanks for keeping an eye on my little Pearl tonight."]
‣ Terror by Night - Hubert Clifford [Mr. Krabs threatens Squidward with SpongeBob.]
‣ Droopy - Arthur Wilkinson ["Don't worry, Mr. Krabs, you can count on me."]
• Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward prevents Pearl from leaving, using a fishing pole.]
‣ Happy Harry - Robert Cobert [Squidward suggests Pearl do different things.]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [Squidward notices Pearl's gone.]
‣ Mister Wobble - Jack Jordan [Squidward enters Pearl's bedroom.]
‣ Eight Dramatic Bridges - Ronald Hanmer [Squidward fears.]
‣ Mister Wobble - Jack Jordan ["Never mind, you seem to have that under control."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (k) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward goes outside Pearl's bedroom.]
‣ Space Age Guitar - Harold Geller, Desmond Champ [Dylan waiting outside the house.]
‣ Hiding Place - Marc Dall'Anese [Pearl escapes from his house.]
• Solo Steel 4 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Oh, you asleep?"]
‣ Eight Dramatic Bridges - Ronald Hanmer [Pearl's papier-mache head falls on the floor/Squidward falls downhole in the wall.]
‣ Space Age Guitar - Harold Geller, Desmond Champ ["Oh, thanks for the ride, Dylan."]
‣ Eight Dramatic Bridges - Ronald Hanmer ["She's gone! Krabs is gonna kill me!"]
‣ Clumsy (c) - Bernd Gesell [Squidward inflates bicycle tire.]
• Greenhorn Rag - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward bikes after Pearl and Dylan.]
‣ Surf 02 158 D - Dieguis Productions/Big Fish Audio [Pearl and Dylan pass by "Surface" sign.]
‣ Mutations (c) [#55] - Trevor Duncan [Squidward discovers that Pearl and Dylan have gone to the surface.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 4 - Jeremy Wakefield ["SpongeBob...shift...mine!"]
‣ Surf Happy Fun (Underscore) - Billy Lincoln [Pearl and Dylan at the beach party.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield ["You have to come home right away!"]
‣ Swing It! - Optiganally Yours [Optigan sample] ["I'll even play you some jazz!"]
• Kidz Love Jazz Clarinet - Brad Carow, Nicolas Carr [Squidward playing the clarinet.]
‣ Surf Happy Fun (Underscore) - Billy Lincoln [Pearl jumps onto the surface.]
‣ Alone in the Old House - Gregor Narholz [Pearl gets beached at the island.]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward blows Pearl with air.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (k) - Jeremy Wakefield [Pearl lands on Squidward's bike.]
‣ Hawaiian Theremin - Henry Gorman, Kat Green ["I can't believe Dylan ditched me! My life is over!"]
• M'Wanna - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward and Pearl arrive back home.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (l) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Really?"]
• Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward and Pearl arrive at Dylan's house with a paper bag.]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [Dylan sees the paper bag.]
• Greenhorn Rag - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob comes out of the paper bag.]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 19 and The Complete Eleventh Season DVDs.
- This episode was paired up with "Mustard O' Mine" during the original American airing, but has since been re-airing with "Krusty Kleaners."
- The episode's title has a double meaning, referencing both the recreational activity of watching whales and the plot about Squidward babysitting Pearl for the night.
- The design of the title card's background is the same as the wallpaper in Pearl's bedroom, with the various tears referencing the scene where Pearl creates a paper-mâché gravestone using posters and her wallpaper.
- The episode reveals that Squidward used to babysit Pearl when she was a baby.
- At the time of this episode's airing, it was SpongeBob's smallest physical role in an episode to date; he only makes two cameos and laughs in both of them but has no verbal lines.
- Pearl's friends from "Mall Girl Pearl" return.
- This episode reveals what Marina looks like when she isn’t working at Hotdog on a String.
- This marks Grandpa Redbeard's first appearance since "Lame and Fortune."
- This is the first episode to premiere after Cyma Zarghami, the former president of Nickelodeon, stepped down from the company on June 4, 2018.
- This is the fifth episode to use stop-motion animation after "Truth or Square," "Frozen Face-Off," "It's a SpongeBob Christmas!" and "The Legend of Boo-Kini Bottom."
- In this episode, Pearl says that she doesn’t know how to breach. However, Mr. Krabs states in "Bossy Boots" that he taught her how to breach.
- When Pearl is in Dylan’s car, her head melts. This is a pun on Pearl thinking that Dylan is hot.
- This marks the first case when an episode first premiered in Russia.
- When Squidward says, "The surface, eh?," his wrinkles on his forehead are missing.
- The breach party scenes take place in the nighttime, however, the surface scenes take place in the daytime.
- When Squidward accidentally removes Pearl's boots, her feet are depicted with toes despite her only having fins.
- When Pearl falls back to the ocean, her shoes reappear on her feet after previously being pulled off.