- French Narrator
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles (cameo)
- Pearl Krabs (in photo)
- Pirate in photo (debut)
- Fish in photos (debut)
- Whales in photos (debut)
- Diver in photo (debut)
- Octopuses in photos (debut)
- Walrus in photo (debut)
- Jellyfish (in photo)
- Clown in photo (debut)
- Alternate-Universe SpongeBob (cameo)
- Painty the Pirate
SpongeBob and Patrick are tearing the Krusty Krab down and getting themselves hurt because Squidward tricked them into thinking it would attract customers. Mr. Krabs figures this out and sentences the two to do a super, special, secret assignment--to paint the inside of his house. But Mr. Krabs tells them that the paint they are using is permanent. So if they get paint, even a drop, on anything except the wall, he will cut off their butts and place them above his fireplace. SpongeBob sees that Mr. Krabs has so many possessions, and tells Patrick he decides to move them first. Patrick says that there is no need to move the things because they are not paid to move them.
Then they place a tarp, but it is just a small tarp, so they put down more tarps. SpongeBob takes out a huge brush but decides to use a tiny brush. SpongeBob takes it out, and then, six hours later, carefully paints a drop onto the wall, which begins dropping. SpongeBob (in a panic that it may get onto an item) blows on it to change direction, and blow dries it off the wall, only to have created a giant paint bubble. Patrick blows another giant bubble shortly after, and the two merge. SpongeBob assures that the bubble cannot get any bigger, but Patrick says "Nonsense!" and inflates the bubble, causing it to pop, covering Mr. Krabs' whole house in paint, without getting a drop on anything... except on Mr. Krabs' first dollar
SpongeBob tries wiping the stain off with his tie, but only ends up covering the entire dollar in paint. Then they try a couple more things to get it off, including washing it in a washing machine, spraying it, using a saw, beating it up with a club and using a computer (which Patrick just uses to smash it), but all fail. Then they decide to put another dollar on the wall. Patrick takes out a dollar from his wallet, but Patrick uses it to buy a candy bar from Mr. Krabs' candy machine instead. SpongeBob looks into a mirror, assuring that he shall overcome panic through strength... just as Mr. Krabs approaches his door, thus making SpongeBob's reflection leave him on his own. SpongeBob panics, but comes up with an idea to hide the stained dollar.
Mr. Krabs opens the door to his house to find the lights turned off. He turns them on and sees his house is tidy, and no bubbles. SpongeBob and Patrick are about to leave, but Mr. Krabs panics, and they think Mr. Krabs finds out about the stained dollar. They apologize, but Mr. Krabs is just surprised that they dusted his knickknacks. He panics again, SpongeBob and Patrick apologize again, but he is surprised about the painted floor molding. He panics again because he finds out that they messed up with his dollar...rama. One of his dolls in the doll collection isn't upright. He says that they can go home now, but then runs into a pile of paintings where his dollar usually went and moves away each one to find SpongeBob covering the dollar.
Mr. Krabs soon takes him out of the way to find his first dollar stained by paint and drawn on by crayon (Patrick thinks Mr. Krabs will buy it). SpongeBob and Patrick are afraid to have their rear ends cut off, but he licks the dollar, and the paint (including the crayon marking) comes off of the dollar. The two are confused, and Mr. Krabs says the paint actually comes off with saliva. SpongeBob concludes that Mr. Krabs said that the paint was permanent so they would be extra careful, but Mr. Krabs said he tricked them just for fun, and laughs at his own jest, causing SpongeBob and Patrick to storm out in disgust. Unfortunately, Mr. Krabs laughs so hard that he spits all over the place, causing all the paint to melt from the walls. He groans in disappointment as he realizes this and mutters to himself that he really needs to learn how to "say it, not spray it."
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ ? [drum roll]
‣ Superquick B - Daniel Jean Jeannin ["A one-way ticket to pain!"]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band ["What the devilfish is going on out here?"]
‣ The Main Event - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick assigned to paint Krabs' house]
‣ Terror by Night - Hubert Clifford ["This here paint is absolutely permanent."]
‣ Ta-Ra C - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [setting out the tarp]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Now that's what I'm talking about!"]
‣ Unease - Dick Stephen Walter [opening paint cans]
‣ On Fire - Gregor F. Narholz [Patrick hits paint can with ax]
‣ House of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [SpongeBob and Patrick scream as the drop of paint goes out of the pot/SpongeBob tries to warn himself of being careful with the permanent paint/The paint starts going down the wall/Giant paint bubble]
‣ Unknown Track 94 - harp music
‣ House of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [drop of paint on Krabs' dollar]
‣ Graveyard - Johnny Pearson ["We're dead, Patrick!"]
‣ Shock - Cornelus Joh Bolten [SpongeBob smears the paint with his tie]
‣ Dramatic Impact 3 - Ivor Slaney [SpongeBob and Patrick's butts mounted on the wall]
‣ Secret Service - Syd Dale [trying to get the paint off]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hey, a dollar!"]
‣ The Beast Within - Paddy Kingsland [Patrick puts the dollar in a candy machine]
‣ Dramatic Cue (b) - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob screams]
‣ Finders Creepers - Paddy Kingsland ["You both look like you got a dirty little secret."]
‣ Tales from the Swamp (c) - Ron Goodwin ["Flipping fish fossils! Look what you did!"]
‣ Finders Creepers - Paddy Kingsland ["You dusted all my knickknacks!"]
‣ Tales from the Swamp (c) - Ron Goodwin ["Great Barrier Reef! What's this?!"]
‣ Finders Creepers - Paddy Kingsland [floor molding]
‣ Tales from the Swamp (a) - Ron Goodwin ["Criminy jim jam! You messed up my dollar... rama!"]
‣ Steel Licks (g) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Oh well, I guess no harm done."]
‣ Footsteps of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [stack of paintings]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["There we go, good as new."]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield ["But, but, but, but..."]
‣ Steel Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["This paint actually comes off with saliva."]
‣ Try On and On A - Hans Ehrlinger [ending]
- This episode is available on the Sponge for Hire (with storyboard version on the special features), Complete 3rd Season, First 100 Episodes, Complete Third Season, and SpongeBob, You're Fired! DVDs.
- As of February 1, 2019, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 9.5/10 based on 716 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 9.3/10 based on 229 votes.
- "Wet Painters" was ranked #92 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- This episode premiered in Canada on October 25, 2002.
- Here is the order the paintings on the stack:
- In this episode, Mr. Krabs is heard saying "You messed up my dollar," rather than his usual pirate-like "me."
- This is the second episode where SpongeBob and Patrick are given the job to paint something by Mr. Krabs. The first is "Sailor Mouth."
- However, this time they actually do paint something after Mr. Krabs instructed them to do so.
- It is later revealed how Mr. Krabs got his first dollar in "Friend or Foe."
- The scene where the paint gets everywhere is very popular in YouTube Poops.
- At one point, Mr. Krabs sings "Blow the Man Down," the sea shanty on which the "SpongeBob SquarePants Theme Song" is based.
- A picture of Popeye is visible among the pictures in Mr. Krabs' house.
- The way that SpongeBob says "yeah" after blowing the steam with the hairdryer is the same way he says it in "MuscleBob BuffPants" and "Prehibernation Week."
- In the original storyboard version featured on the special features on the Sponge for Hire DVD, there is a deleted scene with SpongeBob saying, "I dedicate this crash to my best friend, Squidward." This was changed in the final cut, possibly because the line implied that Squidward had died.
- Irony: SpongeBob and Patrick could have just flipped the dollar and put it back on the wall.
- Only two drops of paint (SpongeBob's single-strand brush and Patrick's bubble) are used to paint the whole room.
- The scene where Patrick says "We have technology" has become a popular YouTube meme.
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Świeżo malowane," which translates to "Wet Paint."
- In the Serbian dub, this episode is called "Sveže Ofarbani," which translates to "Freshly Painted."
- In the Bulgarian dub, this episode is called "Бояджии," which translates to "Painters."
- In the Finnish dub, this episode is called "Maalarit," which translates to "Painters."
- In the French dub, this episode is called "Les Peintres du Dimanche," which translates to "The Painters of Sunday."
- In the German dub, this episode is called "Anstreicher," which translates to "Painter."
- In the Russian dub, this episode is called "Маляры," which translates to "Painters."
- In the Czech dub, this episode is called "Malování," which translates to "Painting."
- In the Japanese dub, this episode is called "壁塗りは大変," which translates to "Wall Painting is Serious."
- In the Korean dub, this episode is called "페인트 소동," which translates to "Paint Commotion."
- In the Taiwanese Mandarin dub, this episode is called "油漆風波," which translates "Paint Storm."
- In the Croatian dub, this episode is called "Trajna Farba," which translates to "Permanent Paint."
- In the Hebrew dub, this episode is called "הצבעים," which translates to "The Paint."
- A pink version of Mr. Krabs and a yellow version of Pearl can be seen in one of the photos in Mr. Krabs' house.
- This is the first episode to feature a normal computer. The computer featured has a CRT monitor.
- After a long line of time cards, Patrick is shown holding the last one, breaking the fourth wall.
- The episode's conflict could've been avoided had SpongeBob and Patrick just taken everything off the wall.
- The episode's plot is similar to the 1997 film Bean, where Mr. Bean ruins and devastates the Whistler's Mother portrait with ink.
- Also, the exploded bubble paint that completely paints the wall without (or almost) touching decors is similar to the plot of the Mr. Bean episode "Do-It-Yourself Mr. Bean," where he uses a dynamite to explode the paint can in his room where the objects are wrapped in newspaper (or almost).
- One of the pictures on the wall is very similar to the paintings of the 1920-1930's Dutch painter Piet Mondrian.
- The "Hanging around" Joke may be a reference to the pilot of Full House.
- Due to an error, the 1998 Klasky Csupo logo from Nickelodeon's animated TV series Rugrats was seen instead of the normal logo on airings of the episode from 2002 to 2006. See the sister episode "Krusty Krab Training Video" for more information.
- After SpongeBob rubs the dollar with his tie the second time, there is still some green on the dollar. In the next shot, it is completely covered with paint.
- The paint gets smeared on both sides of the dollar.
- While SpongeBob and Patrick say "but" after the paint on the dollar is removed by saliva, SpongeBob's front teeth appears to be one rather than two.
- When Patrick crashes into the wall at the Krusty Krab, the window on the wall in Mr. Krabs' office breaks off to reveal solid wall behind it, which does not make sense due to the fact that outside could be seen through the glass.
- The door at Mr. Krabs' house switches left to right. When he advises SpongeBob and Patrick, he opens the door, but after, the handle switches to the right.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick try to wash the paint off of the dollar with the laundry machine, the wall is not painted. When they use a fan, the wall is painted. When SpongeBob uses a bat on Patrick, the wall is not painted again, and when Patrick smashes the dollar with the computer, the wall is painted again. The reason why the wall is not painted is because of that early shots animate before going outside.
- The closed-captions read "(screams)" when SpongeBob yells "No!" The captions also read "BOTH: We're sorry Mr. Krabs" when SpongeBob says "We're sorry Mr. Krabs" and Patrick says "We're so sorry."
- When Patrick draws a green dollar sign and a face on the dollar, he uses a blue crayon.
- When Mr. Krabs bumps into and then notices the stack of paintings covering his dollar, there are numerous paintings, but when he is seen taking them off, there are only a few paintings.
- When Patrick walks towards the computer to smash it, his bandages disappear.
- SpongeBob and Patrick trying to get the paint off of the dollar.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|
|Awards and nominations for SpongeBob SquarePants (V • E)
Golden Reel Awards