- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Squidward Tentacles (cameo)
- Karen Plankton
- Sea leprechaun (cameo on book cover)
- Robot SpongeBob (debut)
- Burger creature (debut)
- Sea leprechaun (debut)
- Seahorse (cameo on comic book cover)
- Patrick Star (cameo in comic book)
It is closing time at the Krusty Krab, and Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob that he is off to play cards against Plankton. He is shocked that Mr. Krabs would risk losing anything to an unscrupulous guy like Plankton. He confidently explains to SpongeBob that Plankton is the worst card player in Bikini Bottom by losing the card game every Thursday night for fifteen years.The next morning, Mr. Krabs, unaware that Plankton cheated, sadly informs SpongeBob that he lost, and the wager of the card game from the previous night has been SpongeBob's employment, because Mr. Krabs bet his contract. Plankton arrives to spirit SpongeBob away to the Chum Bucket and commands him to make a Krabby Patty immediately while threatening to remove SpongeBob's brain and put it in a robot if he ignores Plankton's order. However, SpongeBob is unable to work in the Chum Bucket's cold, laboratory-like kitchen, and Karen suggests to Plankton that he must show SpongeBob compassion and understanding, then he will give Plankton what he wants. Plankton goes to great lengths to improve SpongeBob's working conditions, eventually converting the Chum Bucket kitchen into an exact replica of the Krusty Krab kitchen. As time goes on, however, SpongeBob's humble requests turn into selfish demands, which culminates into a trick to refuse Plankton's order altogether.
After being fed up and forgetting to control his temper, Plankton takes out SpongeBob's brain and implants it in the robot. The Sponge Robot, still belligerently, refuses to make Plankton a Krabby Patty, and Plankton has finally had enough. Mr. Krabs was about to close the Krusty Krab for good when Plankton comes and begs him to take SpongeBob back, saying that he cannot stand him and admitting that he cheated. Mr. Krabs welcomes back the restored SpongeBob and encourages him to get back to cooking. SpongeBob fools Mr. Krabs that he still does not feel like working, but when SpongeBob is given one glare from Mr. Krabs, he quickly changes his tune saying "I mean, I'm working all day for free, my treat!".
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Danger Zone - Mike Sunderland ["Plankton?!"]
‣ Spanish Ladies (b) - Robin Jeffrey, Tim Laycock ["Plankton is the worst card player in Bikini Bottom."]
‣ Botany Bay (b) - Robert Alexander White [Krabs crying the next morning]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob laughs]
‣ Botany Bay (b) - Robert Alexander White ["I'm afraid you don't work here anymore."]
‣ Like Strange - Kenny Graham ["I'm afraid he's not joking."]
‣ Finger of Fear - Fredric Bayco [SpongeBob put in a cage]
‣ Hercule Poirot - Gerhard Trede [SpongeBob at the Chum Bucket]
◦ This Grill is Not a Home - Eban Schletter, Paul Tibbitt
‣ Zelle 501 - Gerhard Trede ["All these tears? And the show tunes?"]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney [patty with arm]
‣ Wooden Bear - Gil Flat, Tony Tape, Florian Voelxen [Plankton moving the grill]
‣ The Rake Hornpipe - Robert Alexander White [replica of Krusty Krab kitchen]
‣ Lonely Violin - Dick Stephen Walter [SpongeBob cries]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill [vibrating shoes]
‣ Ulk-Fox Nr. 2 - Gerhard Trede [SpongeBob getting spoiled]
‣ Frankenstein's Niece D - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob's brain put in robot]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton screams]
‣ Paradise Isle - Jan Rap [Plankton begs Krabs to take SpongeBob back]
‣ Captain Lenoe's - The Folk Players [ending]
- This episode is available on the Halloween, Complete 2nd Season, First 100 Episodes, and SpongeBob, You're Fired! DVDs.
- As of January 27, 2019, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 9.3/10 based on 557 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 9.2/10 based on 174 votes.
- "Welcome to the Chum Bucket" was ranked #94 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- Although this episode aired on January 21, 2002, it was made in 2001 according to the credits.
- The magazine that Robot-SpongeBob is reading has a SpongeBob comic strip in it, featuring SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward.
- This is the first of four episodes to premiere on January 21, making it the first episode to premiere in 2002.
- This episode premiered in Canada on December 20, 2002.
- The book Plankton reads to SpongeBob is also seen in "Grandma's Kisses," even though the plots seem to be different. In this episode, it is about sea elves. In "Grandma's Kisses," it is about a sea leprechaun.
- The Chum Bucket Lego set features Robot SpongeBob from this episode.
- Plankton breaks the fourth wall when he says to the audience "I put the brain in the robot, you know.".
- This episode was the subject of a clue on the episode of Jeopardy! that aired on October 10, 2005, during Back to School Week.
- Things Plankton did to try to get SpongeBob to make a Krabby Patty:
- New shoes
- Krusty Krab kitchen replica
- Bathing him
- Ice cream
- Pushing him on a rolling seahorse
- Reading him a book
- Not hitting him
- Rubbing his feet
- This is the second episode to have computerized picture-shaking effects. They occur whenever Plankton moves the grill. The first episode to use these effects was "Neptune's Spatula."
- The PlayStation version of SuperSponge shows clips of this episode in the "introducing Mr. Krabs and Plankton" scene.
- The scene where SpongeBob and Krabs singing as they missed each other was rarely shown in Indonesia. This was done due to time constraints as its airings were paired with ads.
- Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob that he and Plankton play cards every Thursday night, implying that this is his first week at the Krusty Krab.
- In the Croatian dub, the episode name is "Uđite u Kantu!," which translates to "Enter The Chum Bucket!"
- This is the second episode where Plankton forces SpongeBob to go to the Chum Bucket. The first is "Plankton!"
- The episode's title might be a reference to the Guns 'N Roses song "Welcome to the Jungle."
- The art style changes for a split-second when Plankton is moving the grill
- The premise of Robot SpongeBob is similar to the plot of The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror II segment "If Only I Had a Brain," featuring Homer's nightmare. Homer, a lazy worker, is kidnapped by Mr. Burns and Smithers, who put his brain into a robot. The robot ends up being lazy and refusing to work, just like Homer.
- Mr. Krabs' singing voice in this episode is similar to Louis Armstrong.
- At the beginning of the episode, right when Plankton appears, there's a bottle cap laying on the ground. The logo on this bottle cap is a variation of the Pepsi logo emblem.
- Mr. Krabs' and SpongeBob's duet is almost certainly a parody of the popular show tune "A House Is Not A Home."
- When Plankton gives Mr. Krabs $50 to take away SpongeBob, it parodies the O. Henry short story, "The Ransom of Red Chief."
- The story that Plankton reads to SpongeBob about sea elves might be a parody of Goldilocks and the Three Bears.
- When SpongeBob is bathing, his sleeves are shown.
- At the end of the episode, when it shows the Krusty Krab, a Help Wanted sign can be seen on the right window even though SpongeBob is hired.
- Throughout the entire scene where Plankton moves SpongeBob's grill, there is a light blue border.
- In the opening credits, the k in Carson Kugler's name is lowercased instead of capitalized.
- Sometimes, YTV shortens the title of this episode and lists it as "Chumbucket." This change gets rid of the first three words and combines "Chum Bucket" into one word instead of two words. Also for some reason, YTV sometimes says this episode originally aired on 2015/12/05 (December 5, 2015). This air date is technically incorrect.
- When Mr. Krabs throws SpongeBob down near the opening when he is down his right arm (viewer's left), his arm flashes about eight to ten seconds until Squidward appears.
- On October 6, 2016, Comcast accidentally spelled Erik Wiese's name as Erik Weise.