- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Peterson Nat Tucker
- Tina Fran
- Lifeguard Fish
- Evelyn Annette
- Vera Fishbowl
- Jennifer Millie
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Monroe Timmy
- Electric eel (debut)
- Unnamed olive fish
- Harold Bill Reginald Scott
- Abigail Marge
- Octopus vendor (debut)
- Frankie Billy
- Larry the Lobster
- Nathiel Waters
- Harry (fish)
- Norma Rechid
- Lloyd-Rich (looks different)
- Ivy (gray)
- Don the Whale
- Little crab
- Unnamed light-green fish (debut)
- Other Goo Lagoon beachgoers
At Goo Lagoon, Plankton arrives in his bulldozer to turn the beach into the future site of the "Chum Bucket Mega Bucket," and demands everyone to leave. However, due to his tiny size and small voice nobody pays attention to him. He concludes that he needs someone big to assist him, and encounters SpongeBob. Plankton decides to trick SpongeBob into being "assertive" in order to get what he wants.
SpongeBob tries to buy ice cream, but gets cut off once and then has his ice cream stolen. He once again tries to buy and ice cream but learns that there are no more left. He notices Plankton crying nearby and asks him what's wrong. Plankton says that he bought a second ice cream that he doesn't need, and he doesn't have anybody to give it to. Out of sympathy, SpongeBob offers to eat the ice cream for him. As SpongeBob happily licks the ice cream, Plankton offers to teach SpongeBob how to be assertive. He tries to get SpongeBob to take his ice cream back from the person who stole it, but SpongeBob's kindly nature prevents him from being able to take it. Plankton, unhappy with SpongeBob's performance, climbs into SpongeBob's mouth and uses his words to forcefully take the ice cream. Afterward, the guy who stole SpongeBob's ice cream runs off crying. When SpongeBob points this out, Plankton lies and says those were the 'tears of joy', saying that the guy was happy that SpongeBob was assertive. Next, Plankton attempts to have SpongeBob forcefully take back his metal detector that he lent to another beach-goer, yet SpongeBob misinterprets Plankton's instructions and the person he lent the detector to is pointed out buried treasure by SpongeBob.
By this point, Plankton decides to give up, but SpongeBob promises to prove to him his ability to be assertive. Therefore, Plankton allows SpongeBob another chance. SpongeBob commits a series of both assertive and antagonistic acts to the beach-goers, including stealing the hot dogs of people waiting in line to buy them and cutting the strings of people's kites, and even worse, popping a volleyball that the beachgoers wanted to play with, resulting in everyone leaving the beach.
Plankton then reveals his true intentions to SpongeBob, making him very upset. SpongeBob defeats Plankton by becoming "aggressively nice," and he undoes the actions that led everyone to leave Goo Lagoon. Plankton leaves the beach due to the overwhelmingly generous acts of kindness that SpongeBob executed. Lastly, everyone plays Volleyball using SpongeBob as their ball.
Several production images suggest that this episode segment was originally intended to have the episode production code "16b." However, it actually ended up being "18b."
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Chill Out - The Surfdusters [Title card]
‣ Gruesome - The Surfdusters [Plankton talking on megaphone/"Okay, have it your way. I don't mind bulldozing over each and every one..."]
‣ Static Time - John Scott ["You'll see! You'll all see!"/"I need someone big to clear the beach for me."]
‣ Hilo March - The Hawaiian Serenaders [stepping on the beach]
‣ Hawaiian Breeze - Jon Jelmer [Plankton crying/Plankton continues crying]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer ["Isn't it great to get the things you desire?"]
‣ The Nightmare Begins (a) - John Devereaux [Plankton laughs evilly]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer ["Um, excuse me, sir."]
‣ The Beast Within - Paddy Kingsland ["There's the guy who took your ice cream."]
‣ Zelle 506 - Gerhard Trede ["Hey, pencil neck!"]
‣ The Beast Within - Paddy Kingsland ["...when you're maniacal?!"]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill [later...]
‣ Italian Summer - Hendric Haydegg [metal detector]
‣ Hawaiian Flower - Jon Jelmer ["Oh, nothing, SpongeBob."]
‣ Showtime Fill (i) - Gary Kettel [rimshot]
‣ Showtime Fill (j) - Gary Kettel [rimshot]
‣ Cravin' the Big Wave - Vince Caputo, Tom Hedden, David Robidoux [SpongeBob shakes sand off his towel]
‣ Brave and Bold - Chris Payne, Paul Rogers [hot dog stand]
‣ Arnold is Back 1 - Gregor F. Narholz [kite flyers]
‣ Unpreventable - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob pops the volleyball]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["Plankton?"]
‣ House of Horror - W. Merrick Farran ["Mega Bucket?!"]
‣ Fates [#62.02] - Gregor F. Narholz ["You used me... for land development!"]
‣ Missile Disaster - John Fox ["Only aggressive people conquer the world!"]
‣ Orchestral Effect (f) - Dick Stephen Walter ["What about aggressively nice people?"]
‣ Vergnügungspark - Gerhard Trede [SpongeBob being aggressively nice]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [Plankton crying]
‣ Surfing Crazy - Warren Bennett [ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeGuard on Duty, Complete 1st Season, The First & Second Seasons, Movies & TV Collection, The Complete First Season, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 2, Sheldon Plankton: Mean and Green, From the Beginning, Pt.1, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, First 100 Episodes, and Fools in April DVDs and SpongeBob SquarePants Volume 3 on GBA Video.
- This episode is also available on the SpongeGuard on Duty (VHS) tape.
- This episode premiered in Canada on December 23, 2000.
- This episode originally premiered in the Republic of Siberia on P!nk's 30th birthday.
- This is the first episode where Plankton plays a major role but has no involvement with stealing the Krabby Patty secret formula.
- This is the the second episode where Plankton appears without Mr. Krabs the first was Valentines Day.
- The United Plankton Pictures, Inc. logo for this episode credits has the sound of cows mooing due to being paired with "Texas."
- The part where SpongeBob sings "Steppin' on the Beach" has become a sensation on the internet, being used for memes and Sparta remixes.
- The line when SpongeBob says "You used me... for land development" has become a popular meme.
- The title card design is similar to that of "Ripped Pants," only that the title card is slightly zoomed in and there's a light.
- Coincidentally, both episodes take place primarily at Goo Lagoon.
- This is the second episode to have "Chill Out" as the title card music. The first was "Plankton!"
- This is the second episode in which, at no point, SpongeBob wears his normal clothes. The first is "Ripped Pants."
- "My leg!:" SpongeBob blows sand around with a towel.
- A production image from this episode appears on the opposite page of the introduction page in The SpongeBob SquarePants Experience: A Deep Dive into the World of Bikini Bottom.
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Niskie pobudki," which translates to "Base Motives."
- In the Croatian dub, the episode title is "Malen sam" or "I'm small."
- "Walking Small" literally means to walk a short distance.
- Innuendo: When the fish is sitting on SpongeBob's face, Plankton tells SpongeBob to be "assertive, not insertive."
- On the old Nickelodeon website, this episode was falsely listed as "Walking Tall."
- On the August 9, 2019 airing, this aired with "Imitation Krabs." 
- The title is a parody of the film Walking Tall.
- SpongeBob's stand-up routine is patterned after Jerry Seinfeld's "What's the deal with...?"
- When they first appear, there are five fish flying kites, when SpongeBob returns their kites they're still the same, but during the ending shot there are only four seen.
- After Scooter rides with SpongeBob, his pants are green. Later, when Plankton is seen moping away in public, his pants are purple.
- SpongeBob's tan permanently disappears after just one shot with it.
- There are six fish lined up at the snack bar when first seen, and the vendor gives out six hotdogs. When SpongeBob extends his tongue, there are only four kids and four hotdogs. When the fish are seen leaving, there are five of them.
- When SpongeBob returns the hotdogs he took, four different fish come to eat them, despite more being seen earlier.
- In the French dub, the bubble wipe after the opening credits goes to a blank transition for a full second before the episode starts.