- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles (cameo)
- Mrs. Puff (cameo)
- Plankton (cameo)
- Sandy Cheeks
- Patrick Star
- Tina Fran
- Cotton Candy Vendor (debut)
- Father and Son
- Chocolate Eating Scallops (debut)
- The First Balloon Vendor
- Balloon Buyer
- Vera Fishbowl
- Other Patrons waiting to ride the "Heart-A-Whirl"
- Heart-A-Whirl Operator
- Ferris Wheel Riders
- Abigail Marge
- Paco (cameo)
- Jennifer Millie
- Roller Coaster Riders
- Sadie Rechid
- Dennis Rechid
- Medley Fishbowl
- The Second Balloon Vendor
- Heart Man
- Patrons on the Heart-a-Whirl
- Dale (debut)
- Isabelle Fish (debut)
- Debbie Rechid (debut)
- Frank (debut)
- Other Patrons at the Carnival
On Valentine's Day, SpongeBob is giving out Valentine's Day hearts. He even gives one to Plankton, which is delivered with the help of tweezers. SpongeBob and Sandy have arranged to give Patrick a hot air balloon made out of chocolate. SpongeBob tells Patrick that he has the best present ever for him, and the two go to the Valentine's Day carnival, with Patrick extremely excited for his surprise present.
Meanwhile, Sandy, who is in route to the carnival in the chocolate balloon, is attacked by a flock of scallops, which causes the balloon to veer off course as she fights them off. When SpongeBob and Patrick reach the top of the Ferris wheel, where the surprise is to be revealed. However, Sandy contacts SpongeBob via walkie-talkie, informing him of her troubles and telling him that he will have to go with "Plan B". SpongeBob tells Patrick, who is so excited that he is literally shaking the entire Ferris wheel, that his present is a "friendly handshake", greatly disappointing him and making him very angry.
When Patrick sees many other people, including complete strangers (one man only asks for the time), thanking SpongeBob for his gifts to them, he is pushed off the deep end and goes on a rampage. He begins destroying the carnival and corners everyone there, including SpongeBob, seemingly with the intention of killing them all. Before he gets the chance, however, Sandy arrives, having tamed the scallops, who are now helping to keep her balloon afloat. Upon seeing this, Patrick takes a bite of his present, causing it to pop and covering the carnival in chocolate. Smiling at SpongeBob and completely forgetting his anger, Patrick joyfully says, "Aww, SpongeBob, you didn't have to get me anything."
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Hawaiian Pussycat - George de Fretes [title card]
‣ Pikanterie - Gerhard Trede [opening]
‣ The Mob - Sam Spence [SpongeBob explaining the plan]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [Patrick making a valentine out of a rock]
‣ The Main Event - Gregor F. Narholz [Patrick excited about SpongeBob's gift]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [Patrick begs SpongeBob to tell him what the gift is]
‣ The Alpine Waltz - Dick Stephen Walter [Valentine's Day carnival]
‣ Flight in Panic 1 - Gregor F. Narholz [chocolate-eating scallops]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [Patrick trying to guess what the gift is]
‣ Death Trap - Gregor F. Narholz [scallops attacking the balloon]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill [Ferris wheel]
‣ Vibe Link (b) - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob's nervous]
‣ Death Trap - Gregor F. Narholz [Sandy fighting scallops]
‣ Night Butcher - Richard A. Harvey [Patrick's impatient]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [friendly handshake]
‣ Pikanterie - Gerhard Trede [carnival montage]
‣ Stack of Leis - Kapono Beamer [later...]
‣ House of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [Patrick snaps]
‣ Lovely Scenery C - Mladen Franko ["I know I deserve this, but do they?"]
‣ Dangerous A - Mladen Franko [Patrick closing in on SpongeBob]
‣ Western Panorama - Len Beadle [Sandy arrives]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [everyone telling Patrick to turn around]
‣ ? [Patrick bites into the balloon]
‣ Moloka'i Nui A - Kapono Beamer [ending]
- This episode is available on the Tales from the Deep, Complete 1st Season, and First 100 Episodes DVDs.
- As of June 10, 2014, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.3/10 based on 115 ratings by users.tt0707314 TV.com users give this episode a rating of 9/10 based on 191 votes.
- "Valentine's Day" was ranked #8 during The Ultimate SpongeBob SpongeBash event on July 17–19, 2009.
- This episode is #2 on Tom Kenny's Top 20 on iTunes. His description says:
"The first great Patrick episode! I love how Patrick instantly goes from having his feelings hurt to an Incredible Hulk-like rage. Bill Fagerbakke really came into his own in this one."
- Mr. Krabs does not appear at all in this episode, but all the other main characters make cameos.
- This episode and "The Paper" only tend to air in the United States on or around Valentine's Day making this episode extremely rare and difficult to watch on TV, since they both aired on Valentine's Day, and are a Valentine's Day special.
- In the Dutch version of this episode, when the guy asks Patrick for the time, Patrick actually tells him the time (3:15 PM) instead of saying "Patrick needs love, too!"
- Patrick's quote "HEART ON STICK MUST DIE!" has become a famous Internet meme.
- This also applies for Patrick's other quote: "I DEFY YOU, HEARTMAN!"
- When the scallops pop a hole in the balloon the first time, air is coming out, but when Patrick pops it a second time, chocolate sauce explodes out of it. But it is possible that it was a little air left. If there wasn't air in the balloon, it wouldn't fly.
- There is a game on the online game based on this episode this called Love Hurts!.
- When Patrick throws the last male fish about to thank Spongebob for his gift and Patrick becomes crazy, he bangs his stomach and acts like Kerchak from the Disney movie Tarzan, and the Marvel character The Incredible Hulk in both rage and speech.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick are on the Ferris wheel, SpongeBob's shoes look like heels.
- When SpongeBob is on the radio with Sandy, he says "You can bring it in now." However if she did, it would not be following his original plan of positioning Patrick on top of the Ferris wheel.
- This is first time a micro-organism (excluding Plankton) was shown in the SpongeBob SquarePants series.
- When Patrick goes on his rampage and the voice on the loudspeaker warns the crowd, the sound of an air raid siren can be heard during his rampage after the warning on the loudspeaker, it could be either for comedic effect or to also warn the crowd of Patrick.
- In the original scenes with the "Valentine's Day Carnival" sign Mount Climb-up-and-Fall-off is not seen, but when Patrick mentions it, it can be seen.
- When Sandy is on the chocolate balloon, her suit seems to be smaller.
- When Sandy fights the scallops, the balloon's basket seems to be missing, showing only the string attached to it.
- While SpongeBob is delivering the valentines, at the beginning of this episode, the sky is pink; for the rest of the episode, the sky is blue. The pink sky may just be sunrise.
- The rides at the carnival change place throughout the episode. For example, the "heart-on-stick" ride is to the right of the Ferris wheel at the beginning of the episode, but at the end when everyone is on the pier, the rides are still in the position it was at the beginning of the episode, even tough the pier is on the other side.
- When Sandy opens her helmet to receive the chocolate bubble, no water comes inside her helmet, even though they are in water.