- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles (cameo)
- Mrs. Puff (cameo)
- Sheldon J. Plankton (cameo)
- Sandy Cheeks
- Patrick Star
- Incidental 2
- Incidental 8 (named Fran)
- Incidental 14
- Cotton candy vendor (debut)
- Incidental 42 (named Dave)
- Incidental 66
- Chocolate-eating scallops (debut)
- First balloon vendor
- Balloon buyer
- Incidental 12
- Incidental 18
- Incidental 31
- Brown carnival patron (debut)
- Green carnival patron (debut)
- Heart-a-Whirl operator
- Ferris wheel riders
- Incidental 23
- Incidental 47
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 73
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 22
- Incidental 65
- Incidental 16
- Incidental 70
- Incidental 110 (debut)
- Roller coaster riders
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 62
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 9
- Incidental 13
- Incidental 17
- Incidental 3
- Incidental 4
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 30A
- Heart man (debut)
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 34
- Incidental 5
- Incidental 7
- Carnival crowd (debut)
- Incidental 108 (debut)
- Incidental 106 (debut)
- Incidental 102 (debut)
- Incidental 104 (debut)
- Incidental 105 (debut)
- Incidental 103 (debut)
- Incidental 107 (debut)
- Incidental 97 (debut)
- Incidental 96 (debut)
- Incidental 111 (debut)
- Incidental 101 (debut)
- Incidental 98 (debut)
- Incidental 100 (debut)
- Incidental 101 (debut)
- Incidental 141 (debut)
- Incidental 142 (debut)
- Incidental 143 (debut)
- Incidental 144 (debut)
- Incidental 109 (debut)
SpongeBob comes out of his home and gives hearts to all his friends, as it is Valentine's Day. Later, he goes to Sandy, who is working with SpongeBob on a plan to bring Patrick's gift to him, which is a chocolate balloon. At Patrick's house, SpongeBob tells him he has a present prepared for him but that it is not ready. Patrick is desperate to know what the present is, but SpongeBob does not tell him.
He brings him to the carnival, which he thinks is the present, only to realize it is not. He tries to find out what his present is, while Sandy is flying the chocolate balloon to the carnival. Unfortunately, a group of chocolate-eating scallops attack the balloon. She tells SpongeBob she is going to be a little late and tells him to bring Patrick up to the Ferris wheel and that she will meet him there.
SpongeBob tells Patrick his present is on the Ferris wheel. Meanwhile, the scallops cause the balloon to lose air, so she tells SpongeBob to switch to plan B. Therefore, he gives a handshake to Patrick as his present. He is grumpy for the rest of the day at the carnival. Later, the two are sitting on a bench, when everyone gives SpongeBob presents. Eventually, Patrick gets angry because he is not getting any presents and starts to go berserk by wreaking havoc across the carnival.
He ends up cornering several citizens, including SpongeBob, at a dead-end at the Goo Lagoon dock. As he is about to kill everyone, Sandy comes down with the chocolate balloon, having gotten the scallops to help her bring it to him. The citizens tell Patrick to turn around, but he does not budge. When Sandy greets him, he turns around and notices the chocolate balloon. He gets excited and jumps on the balloon, only to pop it when he eats it as it was a bubble, as the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Nostalgic Hawaii - George de Fretes, Jan Rap [title card]
‣ Pikanterie - Gerhard Trede [opening]
‣ The Mob - Sam Spence [SpongeBob explaining the plan]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [Patrick making a Valentine out of a rock]
‣ The Main Event - Gregor F. Narholz [Patrick excited about SpongeBob's gift]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [Patrick begs SpongeBob to tell him what the gift is]
‣ The Alpine Waltz - Dick Stephen Walter [Valentine's Day carnival]
‣ Flight in Panic 1 - Gregor F. Narholz [Chocolate-eating scallops appear]
• Seaweed - Steve Belfer [Patrick trying to guess what the gift is]
‣ Death Trap [#25] - Gregor F. Narholz [Scallops attacking the balloon]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill [Ferris wheel]
‣ Vibe Link (b) - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob is nervous]
‣ Death Trap [#25] - Gregor F. Narholz [Sandy fighting scallops]
‣ Night Butcher - Richard A. Harvey [Patrick is impatient]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [Friendly handshake]
‣ Pikanterie - Gerhard Trede [carnival montage]
‣ Stack of Leis - Kapono Beamer [Later...]
‣ House of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [Patrick snaps]
‣ Lovely Scenery (c) - Mladen Franko ["I know I deserve this, but do they?"]
‣ Dangerous B - Mladen Franko [Patrick closing in on SpongeBob]
‣ Western Panorama - Len Beadle [Sandy arrives]
• Seaweed - Steve Belfer [Everyone telling Patrick to turn around]
‣ Hawaiian Holiday - Kapono Beamer [Patrick bites into the balloon]
‣ Moloka'i Nui (a) - Kapono Beamer [Ending]
- This episode is available on the Tales from the Deep, Complete 1st Season, Fools in April, First 100 Episodes, Karate Cutting, The Ultimate Box Set, Exposed!: The Ultimate Box Set, The Underwater Stories, Really Big Box Set, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, From the Beginning, Pt.1, The Tom Kenny Collection, Loveable Sponge, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 2, The First & Second Seasons, Movies & TV Collection, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever, DVDs.
- This episode is also available on the Bikini Bottom Bash! and Tales from the Deep VHS tapes.
- This episode is number 2 on The Tom Kenny Collection on iTunes and Amazon.com. His description says:
- "The first great Patrick episode! I love how Patrick instantly goes from having his feelings hurt to an Incredible Hulk-like rage. Bill Fagerbakke really came into his own in this one."
- "Valentine's Day" was ranked #8 during The Ultimate SpongeBob SpongeBash event from July 17–19, 2009.
- Here is a list of people SpongeBob gives Valentine's Day gifts to:
- Squidward gets a colored heart made out of paper.
- Mrs. Puff also receives the same kind of heart as Squidward.
- Plankton is given a tiny heart.
- Sandy eats the chocolate heart bubble SpongeBob blows for her.
- Patrick is delivered the chocolate hot air balloon that SpongeBob and Sandy had planned to fly into the carnival.
- There is an online game based on this episode called Love Hurts!
- This is the first episode where Plankton appears without Mr. Krabs.
- SpongeBob and Sandy's plan is as follows:
- 1. SpongeBob and Patrick arrive at the carnival.
- 2. Both of them ride on the Ferris wheel, onto the top.
- 3. Sandy flies in with the heart-shaped chocolate balloon towards Patrick.
- 4. Patrick is thrilled. Mission accomplished.
- The pose that Patrick make when he says "Ferris wheel" was later seen in the video game Drawn to Life: SpongeBob SquarePants Edition when Doodle Patrick grows when being erase few times.
- This marks the last time the track, Stack of Leis, plays in the first season.
- This also marks the only time to date that this track plays without its highly recognized ending tagged on.
- This marks the last time the track, Lovely Scenery C, plays in the first season.
- This also marks the only time the beginning of this track plays, and not just the dramatic stab at the end.
- In the Dutch dub, when the guy asks Patrick for the time, Patrick actually tells him the time (3:15 PM) instead of saying, "Patrick needs love, too!"
- Patrick's quotes "Heart on stick must die!" and "I defy you, heart-man!" have become popular internet memes.
- This is the first episode where a microorganism excluding Plankton is shown in the SpongeBob SquarePants series.
- During I ♥ SpongeBob week, it was paired up with "The Camping Episode."
- This episode and "The Paper" used to only tend to air in reruns in the United States on or around Valentine's Day, making this episode extremely rare to find on TV, since they both air on Valentine's Day and are Valentine's Day specials. However, in the beginning of 2020, it has started to air on other days as well.
- The same thing occurs with "Scaredy Pants," "I Was a Teenage Gary," and "The Legend of Boo-Kini Bottom," as they are Halloween specials, and "Christmas Who?," "It's a SpongeBob Christmas!," and "Goons on the Moon" being Christmas specials.
- When Sandy opens her helmet to receive the chocolate bubble, no water comes inside her helmet, even though they are underwater.
- When Sandy is on the chocolate balloon, her suit appears smaller.
- At the beginning, the sky is pink, but after the scene with Plankton, the sky is blue as normal.
- In the original scenes with the "Valentine's Day Carnival" sign, Mount Climb-up-and-Fall-off is not seen, but when Patrick mentions it, it can be seen.
- When Sandy fights the chocolate-eating scallops, the balloon's basket seems to be missing, only showing the string attached to it. The basket reappears when Sandy arrives at the carnival.
- The rides at the carnival change place throughout the episode. For example, the Heart-A-Whirl is to the right of the Ferris wheel at the beginning of the episode, but at the end when everyone is on the pier, the rides are still in the position it was at the beginning of the episode, even though the pier is on the other side.
- When one of the scallops pop a hole in the balloon for the first time, air is coming out, but when Patrick pops it again, chocolate sauce explodes out of it.