- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles (cameo)
- Mrs. Puff (cameo)
- Sheldon J. Plankton (cameo)
- Sandy Cheeks
- Patrick Star
- Incidental 2
- Tina Fran
- Cotton candy vendor (debut)
- Dave Frank Percy Isabelle Harold (first name revealed)
- Father and son
- Incidental 66
- Chocolate-eating scallops (debut)
- First balloon vendor
- Balloon buyer
- Incidental 12
- Incidental 31
- Other patrons waiting to ride the Heart-A-Whirl
- Heart-A-Whirl operator
- Ferris wheel riders
- Abigail (light blue fish)
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 73
- Harold Bill Reginald Scott
- Incidental 22
- Incidental 16
- Incidental 70
- Dark green fish
- Roller coaster riders
- Norma Rechid
- Incidental 62
- Incidental 9
- Incidental 13
- Incidental 17
- Incidental 3
- Incidental 4
- Jimmy Gus
- Second balloon vendor
- Heart man
- Fish children (debut)
- Far-distance fish
- Carnival crowd (debut)
- Dale (debut)
- Incidental 106 (debut)
- Incidental 102 (debut)
- Gale (debut)
- Frank (debut)
- Monroe Timmy Tommy Billy (debut)
- Frankie Billy (debut)
- Timmy's father (debut)
- Timmy's mother (debut)
- Other patrons at the carnival
On Valentine's Day, SpongeBob gives out Valentine's Day hearts to everyone. He even gives one to Plankton, which is delivered with the help of tweezers.
Next, SpongeBob goes to Sandy's treedome, where Sandy gives him an acorn nut with an arrow stuck through it, which he puts away. SpongeBob then takes out his bottle of chocolate syrup and blows out a chocolate heart bubble for Sandy's valentine. SpongeBob and Sandy then talk about what they have arranged to give Patrick for his Valentine Present, a hot air balloon made out of chocolate and how for everything to be arranged.
SpongeBob tells Patrick (who has made his Valentine's present for SpongeBob by putting a big rock on the ground and pounds the rock into the shape of a heart, but smashes the rock into a pile of dirt thinking that SpongeBob is in there and then realizing that SpongeBob is behind him (said by SpongeBob) and give him a pile of dirt for his Valentine Present) that he has the best present ever ready for him.
Patrick gets very blithe and impatient for his surprise present and the two go to the Valentine's Day Carnival. Since it is a surprise present, Patrick starts to guess what is even to the point that he thinks it his present is a bunch of paramecium and to even the point that he thinks that his present is on top of Mount Climb-up-and-Fall-off, in which he runs up the mountain and falls off a couple times.
Meanwhile, Sandy, who is in route to the carnival in the chocolate balloon, is attacked by a flock of chocolate-eating scallops, which causes the balloon to veer off course as she fights them off. Due to the delay, Sandy tells SpongeBob to take Patrick to the Ferris wheel to keep up his overexcited mood.
SpongeBob starts to think that Patrick would not get his Valentine and doesn't want to break his heart so he takes him to the Ferris wheel to keep up his morale. When SpongeBob and Patrick reach the top of the Ferris wheel, they wait for the surprise to be revealed.
However, SpongeBob contacts Sandy via his walkie-talkie, she informs him of her troubles and since one of the scallops bit the balloon and the balloon is floating downwards that he will have to go with "Plan B." SpongeBob tells Patrick, who is so excited that he is literally shaken the entire Ferris wheel, that his present is a "friendly handshake."
That greatly disappoints him and after shaking SpongeBob hand, he stares at his own hand with a grumpy look on his face. SpongeBob laughs nervously and throughout their playtime in the carnival, SpongeBob laughs at the joys of the carnival whilst Patrick has the same grumpy look on his face.When Patrick and SpongeBob are sitting down on a bench, he has been thinking and thanks SpongeBob for the gift he gave him, but when he sees many other people thank SpongeBob for the gifts he gave them, including complete strangers (one man only asks for the time), he is pushed off the deep end and goes on a rampage.
He begins destroying the carnival and corners everyone there, including SpongeBob, seemingly with the intention of killing them all. Before he gets the chance, however, Sandy arrives, having tamed the scallops, who are now helping to keep her balloon afloat. SpongeBob tells him that his true Valentine Present is behind him, but Patrick thinks that isn't true. Even with the help of the crowd persuading him to turn around, he still refuses to turn around until Sandy says his name, in which he turns around seeing his great Valentine Present.
Upon seeing this, Patrick takes a bite of his present in amazement, causing it to pop and covering the carnival in chocolate. Smiling at SpongeBob and completely forgetting his anger, Patrick joyfully says, "Aww, SpongeBob, you didn't have to get me anything!" as the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Nostalgic Hawaii - George de Fretes, Jan Rap [title card]
‣ Pikanterie - Gerhard Trede [opening]
‣ The Mob - Sam Spence [SpongeBob explaining the plan]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [Patrick making a Valentine out of a rock]
‣ The Main Event - Gregor F. Narholz [Patrick excited about SpongeBob's gift]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [Patrick begs SpongeBob to tell him what the gift is]
‣ The Alpine Waltz - Dick Stephen Walter [Valentine's Day carnival]
‣ Flight in Panic 1 - Gregor F. Narholz [Chocolate-eating scallops appears]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [Patrick trying to guess what the gift is]
‣ Death Trap - Gregor F. Narholz [Scallops attacking the balloon]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill [Ferris wheel]
‣ Vibe Link (b) - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob is nervous]
‣ Death Trap - Gregor F. Narholz [Sandy fighting scallops]
‣ Night Butcher - Richard A. Harvey [Patrick is impatient]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [Friendly handshake]
‣ Pikanterie - Gerhard Trede [carnival montage]
‣ Stack of Leis - Kapono Beamer [Later.../"And even though I was expecting more..."/"And not that it matters that we've been friends for so long..."/"So, as I was saying..."]
‣ House of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [Patrick snaps/Patrick goes on a rampage/Patrick takes the lollipop from the little girl/Patrick gets more crazy]
‣ Lovely Scenery (c) - Mladen Franko ["I know I deserve this, but do they?"]
‣ Dangerous B - Mladen Franko [Patrick closing in on SpongeBob]
‣ Western Panorama - Len Beadle [Sandy arrives]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [Everyone telling Patrick to turn around]
‣ Hawaiian Holiday - Kapono Beamer [Patrick bites into the balloon]
‣ Moloka'i Nui (a) - Kapono Beamer [Ending]
- This episode is available on the Tales from the Deep, Complete 1st Season, Fools in April, First 100 Episodes, From the Beginning, Pt.1, Loveable Sponge, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 2, The First & Second Seasons, Movies & TV Collection, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever, DVDs.
- This episode is available on the Bikini Bottom Bash! and Tales from the Deep VHS tapes.
- This episode is number 2 on The Tom Kenny Collection on iTunes and Amazon.com. His description says:
- "The first great Patrick episode! I love how Patrick instantly goes from having his feelings hurt to an Incredible Hulk-like rage. Bill Fagerbakke really came into his own in this one."
- "Valentine's Day" was ranked #8 during The Ultimate SpongeBob SpongeBash event on July 17–19, 2009.
- This episode premiered in Canada on February 14, 2001, exactly one year after it premiered in the United States. Its sister episode, "The Paper," premiered in Canada before this episode on November 18, 2000.
- There is an online game based on this episode called Love Hurts!
- Patrick wears a shirt at the beginning of the episode, but in "Rock-a-Bye Bivalve" SpongeBob says Patrick never wears a shirt, suggesting this takes place after such.
- In the Dutch version of this episode, when the guy asks Patrick for the time, Patrick actually tells him the time (3:15 PM) instead of saying, "Patrick needs love, too!"
- Patrick's unique quotes, including "Heart on stick must die!" and “I defy you, heartman!" have both become popular internet memes.
- This is the first episode to be made in 2000 according to the credits.
- This is the first episode where a micro-organism excluding Plankton is shown in the SpongeBob SquarePants series.
- This is the first episode where Plankton appears without Mr. Krabs.
- This episode and "The Paper" only tend to air in reruns in the United States on or around Valentine's Day, making this episode extremely rare to find on TV, since they both air on Valentine's Day and are Valentine's Day specials.
- When Sandy opens her helmet to receive the chocolate bubble, no water comes inside her helmet, even though they are underwater.
- When Sandy is on the chocolate balloon, her suit seems to be smaller.
- In the original scenes with the "Valentine's Day Carnival" sign, Mount Climb-up-and-Fall-off is not seen, but when Patrick mentions it, it can be seen.
- When Sandy fights the chocolate-eating scallops, the balloon's basket seems to be missing, only showing the string attached to it.
- The rides at the carnival change place throughout the episode. For example, the Heart-A-Whirl is to the right of the Ferris wheel at the beginning of the episode, but at the end when everyone is on the pier, the rides are still in the position it was at the beginning of the episode, even though the pier is on the other side.
- When one of the scallops pop a hole in the balloon for the first time, air is coming out, but when Patrick pops it again, chocolate sauce explodes out of it.