- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles (cameo)
- Mrs. Puff (cameo)
- Sheldon J. Plankton (cameo)
- Sandy Cheeks
- Patrick Star
- Cotton candy vendor (single appearance)
- Chocolate-eating scallops (debut)
- First balloon vendor
- Balloon buyer
- Heart-a-Whirl operator
- Ferris wheel riders
- Roller coaster riders
- Heart man (debut)
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 8 (named Fran)
- Incidental 2
- Incidental 109 (debut)
- Incidental 110 (debut)
- Incidental 42 (named Dave)
- Incidental 111 (debut)
- Brown carnival patron (debut)
- Green carnival patron (debut)
- Incidental 12
- Incidental 18
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 34
- Incidental 70
- Incidental 30
- Incidental 47
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 73
- Incidental 23
- Incidental 22
- Incidental 18
- Incidental 65 (normal, 9-colored)
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 66
- Incidental 16
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 62
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 13
- Incidental 17
- Incidental 20
- Incidental 63
- Incidental 3
- Incidental 4
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 30A
- Incidental 144 (debut)
- Gray kid (debut)
- Incidental 143 (debut)
- Incidental 142 (debut)
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 68 (Yellow)
- Incidental 9
- Incidental 5
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 106 (debut)
- Incidental 107 (debut)
- Incidental 102 (debut)
- Incidental 103 (debut)
- Incidental 100 (debut)
- Incidental 101 (debut)
- Incidental 96 (debut)
- Incidental 97 (debut)
- Incidental 98 (debut)
- Incidental 99 (debut)
- Incidental 108 (debut)
- Incidental 104 (debut)
It is Valentine's Day and SpongeBob is busy giving Valentines to all his friends. He is also working with Sandy to give Patrick a very special present - a hot-air balloon made of chocolate. SpongeBob tells Patrick he has a present prepared for him and Patrick is desperate to know what it is, but SpongeBob will not tell him.
SpongeBob takes Patrick to a Valentine's Day carnival and Patrick thinks that this is the present, only to realize that it is not. As he tries to figure out what the present is, Sandy flies the chocolate balloon to the carnival. Unfortunately, a group of ferocious scallops attack her and she tells SpongeBob that she is going to be a little late. She tells him to bring Patrick up to the Ferris wheel and that she will meet him there.
SpongeBob tells Patrick his present is on the Ferris wheel. Meanwhile, the scallops cause the balloon to lose air, so she tells SpongeBob to switch to plan B. Therefore, Patrick's present is limited to a "friendly handshake," and he is grumpy for the rest of the day at the carnival. Later, the two are sitting on a bench, when everybody thanks SpongeBob for giving them presents. Consumed by anger and jealousy, Patrick goes berserk and wreaks havoc across the carnival.
He ends up cornering several citizens, including a frightened SpongeBob, at a dead-end at the Goo Lagoon dock. Just as he is about to attack everybody, Sandy comes down just in time with the repaired chocolate balloon, having gotten the scallops to help her bring it to him. SpongeBob and the citizens tell Patrick to turn around, but he does not budge. When Sandy greets him, he finally turns around and notices the chocolate balloon. He gets excited and jumps on the balloon, only to pop it when he eats it as it was a bubble. As the episode ends, Patrick gently tells SpongeBob that he didn't have to get him anything.
|( ‣ ) Production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Nostalgic Hawaii - George de Fretes, Jan Rap [title card]
‣ Pikanterie - Gerhard Trede [opening]
‣ The Mob - Sam Spence [SpongeBob explaining the plan]
‣ On The Beach - Kapono Beamer [Patrick making a Valentine out of a rock]
‣ The Main Event - Gregor F. Narholz [Patrick excited about SpongeBob's gift]
‣ On The Beach - Kapono Beamer [Patrick begs SpongeBob to tell him what the gift is]
‣ The Alpine Waltz - Dick Stephen Walter [Valentine's Day carnival]
‣ Flight In Panic 1 - Gregor F. Narholz [Chocolate-eating scallops appear]
• Seaweed 1 - Steve Belfer [Patrick trying to guess what the gift is]
‣ Death Trap [#25] - Gregor F. Narholz [Scallops attacking the balloon]
‣ Hawaiian Link (A) - Richard Myhill [Ferris wheel]
‣ Vibe Link (B) - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob is nervous]
‣ Death Trap [#25] - Gregor F. Narholz [Sandy fighting scallops]
‣ Night Butcher - Richard A. Harvey [Patrick is impatient]
‣ Hawaiian Link (B) - Richard Myhill [Friendly handshake]
‣ Pikanterie - Gerhard Trede [carnival montage]
‣ Stack of Leis - Kapono Beamer [Later...]
‣ House Of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [Patrick snaps]
‣ Lovely Scenery C - Mladen Franko ["I know I deserve this, but do they?"]
‣ Dangerous B - Mladen Franko [Patrick closing in on SpongeBob]
‣ Western Panorama - Len Beadle [Sandy arrives]
• Seaweed 1 - Steve Belfer [Everyone telling Patrick to turn around]
‣ Hawaiian Holiday - Kapono Beamer [Patrick sees the balloon]
‣ Moloka'i Nui A - Kapono Beamer [Ending]
- This episode is available on the Tales from the Deep, Complete 1st Season, Fools in April, First 100 Episodes, Karate Cutting, The Ultimate Box Set, Exposed!: The Ultimate Box Set, Valentine's Day, The Underwater Stories, Really Big Box Set, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, Love is Everywhere!, From the Beginning, Part 1, The Tom Kenny Collection, Loveable Sponge, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 2, The First & Second Seasons, Movies & TV Collection, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever, DVDs.
- This episode is also available on the Bikini Bottom Bash! and Tales from the Deep VHS tapes.
- This episode is number 2 on The Tom Kenny Collection on iTunes and Amazon.com. His description says:
- "The first great Patrick episode! I love how Patrick instantly goes from having his feelings hurt to an Incredible Hulk-like rage. Bill Fagerbakke really came into his own in this one."
- "Valentine's Day" was ranked #8 during The Ultimate SpongeBob SpongeBash event from July 17–19, 2009.
- Here is a list of people SpongeBob gives Valentine's Day gifts to:
- Squidward gets a colored heart made out of paper.
- Mrs. Puff also receives the same kind of heart as Squidward.
- Plankton is given a tiny heart.
- Sandy eats the chocolate heart bubble SpongeBob blows for her.
- Patrick is delivered the chocolate hot air balloon that SpongeBob and Sandy had planned to fly into the carnival.
- There is an online game based on this episode called Love Hurts!
- This is the first episode in the series where Plankton appears without Mr. Krabs.
- SpongeBob and Sandy's plan is as follows:
- 1. SpongeBob and Patrick arrive at the carnival.
- 2. Both of them ride on the Ferris wheel, onto the top.
- 3. Sandy flies in with the heart-shaped chocolate balloon towards Patrick.
- 4. Patrick is thrilled. Mission accomplished.
- The pose that Patrick make when he says "Ferris wheel" was later seen in the video game Drawn to Life: SpongeBob SquarePants Edition when Doodle Patrick grows when being erase few times.
- This marks the last time the track, "Stack of Leis," plays in the first season.
- This also marks the only time to date that this track plays without its highly recognized ending tagged on.
- This marks the last time the track, "Lovely Scenery C," plays in the first season.
- This also marks the only time the beginning of this track plays, and not just the dramatic stab at the end.
- In the Dutch dub, when the guy asks Patrick for the time, Patrick actually tells him the time (3:15 PM) instead of saying, "Patrick needs love, too!"
- Patrick's quotes "Heart on stick must die!" and "I defy you, heart-man!" have become popular internet memes.
- When Patrick is roaring at the frightened SpongeBob just before Sandy enters, it scared some younger viewers.
- When Patrick corners SpongeBob, he could have run around Patrick or jumped in the goo to escape; the latter was intentional because "SpongeGuard on Duty" reveals SpongeBob can't swim.
- When Patrick refuses to turn around, SpongeBob could have turned Patrick around himself before Sandy called.
- This is the first episode where a microorganism excluding Plankton is shown in the SpongeBob SquarePants series.
- During I ♥ SpongeBob week, it was paired up with "The Camping Episode."
- Foreshadowing: Patrick crushing a heart-shaped rock thinking SpongeBob is inside gives a hint toward how needy and serious he becomes when he doesn't get his surprise.
- In prior past airings on Nickelodeon, this episode and "The Paper" airs only in early February, making both episodes extremely rare to find on TV. By early 2020, the network has started to air both episodes in a regular airing rotation.
- This also occurred for "Fools in April" and "Neptune's Spatula." Nickelodeon originally ran both episodes on the start of April, due to its theme as an April Fool's Day special, they also started airing both episodes on a regular rotation.
- Nickelodeon only airs "Scaredy Pants," "I Was a Teenage Gary," and "The Legend of Boo-Kini Bottom" during the month of October, since they're all Halloween specials.
- Nickelodeon only airs "Christmas Who?" and "It's a SpongeBob Christmas!," and "SpongeBob's Road to Christmas" during the month of December, since they're all Christmas specials.
- This is the only season 1 episode where the track "Moloka'i Nui A" is low-pitched.
- When Sandy opens her helmet to receive the chocolate bubble, no water comes inside her helmet, even though they are underwater.
- When Sandy is on the chocolate balloon, her suit appears smaller.
- At the beginning, the sky is pink, but after the scene with Plankton, the sky is blue as normal for the rest of the episode.
- The pink sky could indicate it is early morning or SpongeBob envisioned it.
- In the original scenes with the "Valentine's Day Carnival" sign, Mount Climb-up-and-Fall-off is not seen, but when Patrick mentions it, it can be seen.
- When Sandy fights the chocolate-eating scallops, the balloon's basket seems to be missing, only showing the string attached to it. The basket reappears when Sandy arrives at the carnival.
- The rides at the carnival change place throughout the episode. For example, the Heart-A-Whirl is to the right of the Ferris wheel at the beginning of the episode, but at the end when everyone is on the pier, the rides are still in the position it was at the beginning of the episode, even though the pier is on the other side.
- When one of the scallops pop a hole in the balloon for the first time, air is coming out, but when Patrick pops it again, chocolate sauce explodes out of it.
- Incidental 27's bottom fin disappears as Patrick throws him across the carnival.