A Video You Should Check Out
Word of the Day Challenge
Late in 2015, I decided that I would perform a challenge, where every day, in 2016, I would use a different word that I randomly select from an old dictionary.
- I have to either write or say the word for it to count.
- I cannot skip or change words at any point in the day, unless I have already used the word in the challenge.
- I have to use the same dictionary throughout the year.
- I have to use the two Random.org random number generators I have set up.
- One is for which page I am going to use. The settings for that does not change.
- One is for which word I am going to use on the page that first generator.The settings for this may change if the amount of words on the page is different than the one on the previous day.
- Any day where I cannot be on my computer makes the challenge go a day further. Therefore, if I cannot be on my computer for one day, the challenge will end on January 1, 2017. In other words, there will be 366 words by the end of the challenge.
- I have to use the word in a sentence. In other words, I cannot just yell the word.
- I cannot say, "The word of the day is [Insert word]."
- I have to try to see if I can use the word in a sentence that does not define the word.
- I do not have to use the word in its literal sense.
- If the plural version of the word is just an additional "s" to the original word. I can use that version.
- If I go on my computer within the last hour of the day, I classify that day as a skipped day as there is not enough time to use a new word.
- If I break the first rule, I have to film myself doing a punishment, which I will release no sooner than summer 2016.
Here is where I will record my progress.
|January 1, 2016||Du||Used|
|January 2, 2016||Narcotize||Used|
|January 3, 2016||STP (drug)||Used|
|January 4, 2016||AFL-CIO||Used|
|January 5, 2016||Recover||Used|
|January 6, 2016||Harangue||Used|
|January 7, 2016||Powerhouse||Used|
|January 8, 2016||Unquestioning||Used|
|January 9, 2016||Troubadour||Unused|
|January 10, 2016||Moonscape||Used|
|January 11, 2016||NA||+1|
|January 12, 2016||NA||+1|
|January 13, 2016||Mussel||Used|
|January 14, 2016||NA||+1|
|January 15, 2016||Psychodrama||Used|
|January 16, 2016||Commissioner||Used|
|January 24||Italian Sandwhich||Used|
|January 25||Per Contra||Used|
|January 28||Counter (adjective)||Unused|
|January 29||Gung ho||Unused|
|January 30||Plebeian (adjective)||Unused|
|February 4||Snow Fence||Used|
|February 7||R and R||Used|
|February 10||Trig (abbreviation)||Unused|
|February 19||Arch (adjective)||Unused|
Plots are Better Backwords
Also check out the first entry, http://plotsbackwardsarebetter.blogspot.com/2014/08/help-wanted-spongebob.html