- SpongeBob SquarePants
- SpongeBob's thumbs
- Patrick Star
- Gary the Snail (in a picture)
- Orange customer
- Male judge
- Harold (red fish)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- Sandy Cheeks
- Frankie Billy
- One of the Skateboarders
- Cross-walker (debut)
- Fred (blue)
- Raven (debut)
- Crying Baby (debut)
- Baby Billy
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Frank (red shirt)
- Taylor Fishbowl
- Monroe Timmy
- Nat Peterson
- Abigail Marge
- Nathiel Waters
- Jennifer Millie
- Dr. Manfish
- Miss Rechid
- Harold Bill Reginald Scott
- Monkeys (mentioned)
- Apes (mentioned)
- Hitchhiker (debut)
- Evelyn Annette
- Yellow Baby Fish
- Plum Puller (debut)
- Thumb (debut)
- Thumb Con Patrons (debut)
- Hospital Patient (debut)
- Tina Fran
- Billy (brown fish)
- Old Man Jenkins
- Susie Fishbowl
- Jimmy Gus
- Frank (lifeguard)
At SpongeBob's house, SpongeBob and Patrick engage in a thumb war and SpongeBob wins. He gives Patrick a thumbs up, making him feel good. He then goes to work at the Krusty Krab and gives some customers thumbs up. He gives Mr. Krabs a thumbs up and Squidward two thumbs up. He later talks to Sandy on the street and gives her the thumbs up as well. Sandy asks SpongeBob if he feels like he is using the thumbs up too much, but he says "no" and goes to cross the street, giving everyone a thumbs up. However, after he does that for a long time, people get creeped out.
He does another one and breaks both his thumbs. He goes to the hospital and Dr. Manfish tells him he cannot say for certain if he will be able to use his thumbs again. He goes to the Krusty Krab where he cannot cook Krabby Patties anymore due to his injury. Mr. Krabs then puts Patrick as fry cook until SpongeBob can cook again. SpongeBob is upset and walks through Bikini Bottomites using their thumbs. He then mopes around his house. Sandy finds him and tells him he needs to find a purpose in life again.
SpongeBob then mends his thumbs through training and goes to the Krusty Krab where Patrick has taken his job. They then have another thumb war to determine who gets the job. SpongeBob wins and gets his job back happily.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Jovial Pirate's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Title card]
‣ Sword Fight - Sam Fonteyn [Opening.]
‣ ? ["Thanks, SpongeBob, that means a lot."]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Giving someone a thumbs up feels great!"]
• The Krusty Krab Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Boy, these Krabby Patties are delicious."]
‣ Fantasy Princess [#52] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["That thumbs up really touched my heart."]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (z) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob walks away.]
‣ Daily Chores Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs asks if SpongeBob counted the cups.]
‣ ? ["Yes, sir!"]
‣ Another Krusty Krab Day - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Do you have one of your precious thumbs up for me?"]
‣ ? [Two thumbs up.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob goes back to the kitchen.]
• Rip Tide - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob gives Sandy two thumbs up.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (q) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob leaves Sandy.]
‣ Jungle Baby - Hans Ehrlinger [SpongeBob giving everyone thumbs up.]
‣ Sword Fight - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob's thumbs break.]
‣ Soapy Organ - Hiram Titus [SpongeBob in the hospital.]
• Jovial Pirate's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob trying to take the spatula.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'm sorry, son."]
‣ Clowning Around Again - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Patrick enters the kitchen.]
‣ Sad Sailor Waltz - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Patrick, I'm glad it's you."]
• Thumbs Song - Kaz Prapuolenis, Eban Schletter [Original composition.]
‣ Crazy Mind - Harry Lubin [Sandy visits SpongeBob.]
‣ Fates [#61] - Gregor Narholz ["Don't give up, SpongeBob!"]
‣ Giant Steps - Ramon Codas ["Enough sitting around feeling sorry for myself."]
‣ Sailor's Sting 22 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Patrick cooking patties.]
‣ Unknown Track 59 - "The job's taken."
‣ Sword Fight - Sam Fonteyn ["Thumb war."]
‣ Sword Fight Alt. End - Sam Fonteyn [SpongeBob wins the thumb war.]
• Another Best Day Ever - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Ending.]
- The title card is similar to the one for "Mrs. Puff, You're Fired," except the background is green.
- When SpongeBob's thumbs break, the following live-action scenes are shown:
- Two steam locomotives colliding.
- The 1940 Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse (also seen in "To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants").
- A tree collapsing.
- A crow's call (supposedly an omen for death or disaster).
- A baby crying.
- One of SpongeBob's thumbs mentions the episode's title when he says, “We got two thumbs down. Repeat. Two thumbs down!”
- This is the fourth episode in which SpongeBob gets a finger injury, the first being "No Weenies Allowed," the second being "Party Pooper Pants," and the third being "The Splinter."
- This is the fourth episode where Sandy has been referred to by her full name, "Sandra." The first is "Patrick SmartPants," the second is "Atlantis SquarePantis," and the third is "Kenny the Cat."
- This is the fifth episode where Patrick works at the Krusty Krab and the second time he is fry cook. His first time working at the Krusty Krab in general is in "Big Pink Loser," his second overall and first time as a fry cook is in "Bummer Vacation," his third time is in "No Hat for Pat," and his fourth time is in "Restraining SpongeBob."
- This episode marks the last usage of Sword Fight Version 2 to date.
- This is the third episode where real-life clips of disasters are seen in an episode. The first was Procrastination, and the second was Boat Smarts.
- This episode premiered on the same day as the 2016 Kids' Choice Awards.
- This is the ninth episode (along with the sister episode "Mall Girl Pearl") to premiere on the same day as the Kids' Choice Awards. The first was "Help Wanted"/"Reef Blower"/"Tea at the Treedome" in 1999, the second was "Krabby Land"/"The Camping Episode" in 2004, the third was "Krusty Towers"/"Mrs. Puff, You're Fired" in 2006, the fourth was "Born to Be Wild"/"Best Frenemies" in 2007, the fifth was "Nautical Novice"/"Spongicus" in 2008, the sixth was "Sentimental Sponge" in 2011, the seventh was "Are You Happy Now?"/"Planet of the Jellyfish" in 2012, and the eighth was "Kenny the Cat" in 2014.
- This episode premiered 14 years after Nautical Nonsense and Sponge Buddies were released, three years after The Complete Eighth Season was released, and two years after SpongeBob Comics #30 was released.
- This episode premiered in Canada fifteen years after The Good, the Bad, and the Krabby and A Christmas Coral were published, ten years after the SpongeBob DetectivePants: The Case of the Missing Spatula book and The Art Contest: No Cheating Allowed! were published, and three years after "Don't Look Now" and "Séance Shméance" premiered in Greece.
- This episode premiered in Germany on March 20, 2017, a whole year after the United States airdate.
- The video game controller SpongeBob uses borrows elements from the SNES controller (multicolored buttons) and the PlayStation controller (overall shape and layout of the analog sticks and D-Pad).
- The red parachutes on the thumbs that showed when SpongeBob fell down with his broken thumbs are already burned in the next scene.
- The mother and the baby on the bench appear during the "Thumbs Song," but they disappear when they zoom out and show the Thumb Con convention.
- There is a scene where SpongeBob is shown walking outside of Bikini Bottom. Then the next scene shows him immediately walking to his pineapple house, which is located in Bikini Bottom.