- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Nat Peterson
- Abigail Marge
- Harold Bill Reginald Scott
- Squidward Tentacles
- Fred (blue)
- Pearl Krabs
- Patrick Star (mentioned)
- Harold (red fish)
- Jeffrey the Jellyfish (cameo)
- Taylor Fishbowl
- Shelly Fishbowl
- Monroe Timmy
- Construction fish
- Nathiel Waters
- Frankie Billy
- Tadpole (mentioned)
- Debbie Rechid
- The devil (mentioned)
- Gary the Snail
- Highway Speed Patrol officer
- Mrs. Puff (cameo)
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Billy (lime fish)
The episode begins with a perfectly normal day at the Krusty Krab. The customers, however, are praising the Krabby Patties, which makes Mr. Krabs think they paid extra, but they did not. Mr. Krabs finds tears in a patty, patties without buns, and patties with only buns and no meat inside. Mr. Krabs asks why to Squidward, with him saying that SpongeBob failed his boating exam and that is why he is crying. Mr. Krabs goes to the kitchen to check. SpongeBob tells everything that happened, so Mr. Krabs offers to give him lessons for more money and shorter time. He mentions teaching Pearl how to drive to make SpongeBob feel more comfortable.
During the first attempt, they get in a boat outside the Krusty Krab but SpongeBob reverses instead of going forwards, causing them to crash. Mr. Krabs says it is a simple mistake.
During the second attempt, Mr. Krabs takes SpongeBob to a massive parking lot to practice on but SpongeBob reverses once again and crashes into the doors of the Krusty Krab. Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob to drive forward slowly but ends up pulling the whole Krusty Krab wall off. Mr. Krabs checks the damage and totals up the cost in an upset manner. Mr. Krabs thinks for a moment and then gets an idea.
During the third attempt, Mr. Krabs thinks that if SpongeBob is by his house he will be more comfortable. His vocabulary puts him to sleep only for SpongeBob to be woken up. Even SpongeBob cannot drive to Patrick's house without crashing into the rock. Mr. Krabs then ends up flying into the Krusty Krab.
During the fourth attempt, Mr. Krabs says he will give a signal but as soon as he says the words "Put her into gear," he crashes into the Krusty Krab yet again.
During the fifth attempt, Mr. Krabs is already exhausted but before they start, SpongeBob gives in which gives Mr. Krabs an idea. In order to get the hang of it, they practice on a simulator arcade machine. SpongeBob thinks he has mastered it but yet again he manages to somehow destroy the Krusty Krab (This time, it is the roof in which he falls inside).
During the sixth attempt, SpongeBob manages to crash into the Krusty Krab sign, knocking it over.
During the seventh attempt, it starts off smoothly but yet SpongeBob slides up a metal ramp and ends up hitting the backside of the sign. The sign bounces them back into the roof, destroying the Krusty Krab yet again.
During the eighth attempt, they manage to go through the roof and out through the doors of the Krusty Krab. Then they appear out of nowhere, destroying the Krusty Krab yet again.
During the ninth attempt, they crash into a sign. As they keep on driving, many Bikini Bottomites are swerving in and out so they can avoid SpongeBob's reckless driving. They spin out of control, almost about to crash into the Krusty Krab but strangely, they do not. However, the Bikini Bottomites do, causing the Krusty Krab to be once again destroyed (This time, it is completely destroyed).
The scene transitions to Mr. Krabs looking very unhappy. He is holding the bill as SpongeBob crashes into the Krusty Krab for the tenth time. The repairman enters again to raise up the price on the bill.
The scene transitions again as SpongeBob apologizes. Mr. Krabs says he is doing it all wrong and thinks that SpongeBob does better when there is a lot of damage potential, so he takes SpongeBob to the most dangerous road in Bikini Bottom: the double roundabout. SpongeBob is so nervous that he does not want to do it. Mr. Krabs literally proves that even Gary could do it by letting Gary drive a boat through the roundabout. A few seconds past and he makes it with flying colors. Now it is SpongeBob's turn. He is just about to take the wheel when the police show up. Apparently, it is against the law to let a snail or any other animal drive a boat, especially in dangerous places. But Mr. Krabs only makes it worse after he claims he taught Pearl to drive without permission or a license. Mr. Krabs thinks he is getting a ticket but then realizes he is sentenced to be taught at Mrs. Puff's Boating School.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [opening at the Krusty Krab]
‣ A Casual Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward pours salt on Mr. Krabs]
‣ Daily Chores Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["All right, that's enough."]
‣ Drowsy Reef - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob crying]
‣ A Simple Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Krabs offers to teach SpongeBob how to drive]
‣ Armed Attack - Jean Clero ["It's all a racket."]
‣ Achievements in Aviation - Anthony Mawer ["Now put her in gear!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs laughs nervously]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["We need a change of venue."]
‣ Jolly Little Roger - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Empty parking lot]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (f) - Jeremy Wakefield [Boat crashes into the Krusty Krab]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob trying to inch forward]
‣ A Simple Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Krabs examining the damage]
‣ Unease - Dick Walter [Krabs' inner monologue]
‣ Solo Steel - Jeremy Wakefield ["Now here's a place you should be comfortable with."]
‣ Lap Steel Lullabye - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob falls asleep]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Boat slashes into Patrick's Rock]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (q) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Okay, that was just fine."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (r) - Jeremy Wakefield ["A simple trip to Patrick's house."]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Or can ye?"]
‣ Unknown Track 83 - arcade music
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Transition to next scene]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [Worker climbs ladder]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (u) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob drives into the Krusty Krab chimney/Boat crashes into the worker.]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob driving wildly]
‣ Disastrous Event 2 - Harry Lubin [Several cars smash into the Krusty Krab]
‣ The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Worker gives Krabs the bill]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (t) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'm sorry, Mr. Krabs."]
‣ The Irish Patriot - Sam Spence [Pep talk]
‣ Up She Rises - Sam Spence [Double roundabout]
‣ Unholy Makarel - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield, Nicolas Carr [Gary navigates the roundabout]
‣ Lopey Sailor's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["There you go, SpongeBob."]
‣ Bikini Bottom Police - Nicolas Carr [Cop pulls up]
‣ The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Cop writes Krabs a ticket]
‣ Horlepiep - Jan Rap [Krabs at Boating School]
- Although the plot is about driving, Mrs. Puff (who's usually a main character in those episodes) only makes a cameo at the end of the episode.
- Fred is blue and is voiced by a different actor in this episode.
- This episode premiered on the same day as the 2015 Kids' Choice Sports Awards.
- The premiere of this episode did not feature the title sequence.
- When this episode premiered, it aired first, before its sister episode, "Lost in Bikini Bottom." In all subsequent airings and production order, the episode segment order is reversed.
- This episode premiered on Will Ferrell's 48th birthday and seven years after "MuscleBob BuffPants," "Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost," "The Chaperone," and "Employee of the Month" premiered in Poland.
- This episode premiered in Canada 14 years after "Welcome to the Chum Bucket," "Frankendoodle," "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV," and "Doing Time" premiered and two years before "Spin the Bottle" and "Sportz?" premiered.
- Mr. Krabs actually isn't cheap here. Pearl shows up, wanting money for shoes and he happily gives her the money without a fuss and (reluctantly) pays for the damages SpongeBob caused.
- The Krusty Krab gets destroyed 10 times in this episode.
- This episode premiered in the UK sixteen years after "The Paper" premiered in Australia, thirteen years after Revenge of the Flying Dutchman was released on GameCube and Game Boy Advance in Europe, ten years after Mother Knows Best was published, and three years after "Squidward's School for Grown-Ups" and "Oral Report" premiered in Greece.
- This episode marks the first time Mr. Krabs is seen in Mrs. Puff's Boating School.
- This is the second season 9 episode where SpongeBob takes a boating test. The first is "Bumper to Bumper."
- This is the second episode to use Jovial Pirates Jig as the title card music. The first is "Summer Job."
- This is the fourth episode where SpongeBob almost knows how to drive, following "Boating School," "The Hot Shot," and "Bumper to Bumper."
- This episode had a total of 14 bubble transitions, which is the most for any episode.
- According to this episode, salt hurts Mr. Krabs' eyes even though he is a salt-water crustacean.
- This also happens in "Krab Borg."
- This episode reveals that when the jellyfish convention is not happening, Jeffrey the Jellyfish works at an arcade.
- This is Jeffrey's second appearance in the series. The first is "I'm Your Biggest Fanatic."
- This episode reveals that Mr. Krabs taught Pearl how to drive.
- Both this episode and its sister episode, "Lost in Bikini Bottom," feature a character referencing a straight line between two points.
- This episode takes place after "Krusty Love" because in that episode, Mrs. Puff meets Mr. Krabs and appears to know her in this episode.
- This episode takes place after "Skill Crane" because SpongeBob has Beary in this episode.
- The episode's German title is "Fahrschule Krabs," a pun on driving school.
- This episode takes place after "Whale of a Birthday" due to Pearl having a boat.
- Currently, this is the latest episode to play "The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka."
- The title could possibly be based off "tartar sauce," a famous catchphrase SpongeBob says when something doesn't go right.
- The title is a pun on the condiment and one of the most well-known lines in the series, tartar sauce.
- When Squidward says, "You missed one," the Galley Grub is misspelled as "Gally Grub."
- SpongeBob causing damage to the Krusty Krab with his driving.
- Mr. Krabs saying, "Put 'er in gear!"