- Patchy the Pirate (original airing only)
- Potty the Parrot (original airing only)
- Patrick Star
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- The trenchbillies
- Gary the Snail (mentioned)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- Krustomer (mentioned)
After four days in Jellyfish Fields, SpongeBob and Patrick are still silently waiting for the jellyfish to move. Finally, they swim away and they chase it. The plan is for SpongeBob to take one side and Patrick then takes the other. However, as both approach the jellyfish, they end up colliding, letting the jellyfish escape.
They continue chasing the jellyfish. They do not watch where they are going and accidentally fall off a cliff, falling way down to a county-like village and landing on a port-a-potty. Many of the trenchbillies gang up on SpongeBob and Patrick and capture them with a rope. They take them to Ma Angler, who says that they are "awful purdy." Ma Angler orders them to an initiation. SpongeBob and Patrick question them and Ma Angler sentences them to a series of challenges, being: a banjo contest, a "hootin'
and hollerin'" contest, and a wrestling match. SpongeBob and Patrick win the first two competitions but decline to the wrestling match, claiming that they do not like to wrestle.
Ma Angler is surprised and asks them what they like to do for fun. SpongeBob claims that they like to play jellyfishing. They show the trenchbillies how to jellyfish and collide, once again. Ma Angler enjoys this. The trenchbillies laugh at them and call them dumb. Ma Angler certifies them as official honorary trenchbillies and gives the pair sets of novelty teeth.
SpongeBob gives a short speech before he and Patrick attempt to leave, however, they are stopped by a group of trenchbillies. Cletus Junior of the trenchbillies says that they have to take care of Ma Angler for the rest of their lives. SpongeBob and Patrick try to convince them to let them leave but the trenchbillies will not let them. As a result, Patrick stalls them long enough for him and SpongeBob to escape.
Meanwhile, at the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs and Squidward lightly chat about business and then SpongeBob and Patrick burst through the door. They tell the pair of what occurred but Mr. Krabs is unconcerned until they reveal that the trenchbillies followed them. The trenchbillies destroy the restaurant out of anger. Mr. Krabs nervously asks them for their orders. They all order something to eat. Mr. Krabs says that Ma Angler, who is eating a lot of Krabby Patties, will make Customer of the Week. One of the trenchbillies sees Mr. Krabs making "goo-goo eyes at the Ma Angler" and as the episode ends, Mr. Krabs is forced to get "hitched" (married) to Ma Angler.
- Someone saying, "It's now or never."
- Cletus poking people with the pitchfork.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Hillbilly Party - Nicolas Carr [Title card]
‣ Excited Tension 2 - Phil Green [opening at Jellyfish Fields]
• Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick chasing the jellyfish]
• What Question Mark - Nicolas Carr ["Your what?"]
• Pinapple Luau - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Patrick, there it goes!"]
‣ Rescue - Cecil Milner [SpongeBob and Patrick fall down a trench]
‣ Horror Crash - Harry Lubin [they land in an outhouse]
‣ Bikini Bottom Hillbillies - Nicolas Carr [Trenchbillies introduced]
• Three Challenges - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob and Patrick tied up]
• Hillbilly Home - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Well, tell me again."]
• Dobro Flashback - Nicolas Carr [Flashback starts]
• Hillbilly Home - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["When not so much as a warning shout."]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Um..."]
‣ The Great White H - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick gulp]
• Hillbilly Hoot - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Go and get your fiddle."]
• Hillbilly Dual - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Teether plays a short tune]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr [trenchbilly takes off suspenders]
• Hillbilly Dual - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Teether continues playing]
• Steel Licks 14 - Jeremy Wakefield ["It looks like he was the real... star."]
• Skipping to Hillbilly School - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [singing competition]
• Hillbilly Party - Nicolas Carr [Wrestling match]
• Hillbilly Tension Build - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob nervous]
• Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["What the...?"]
• ? [everyone laughs]
• Proud to be a Hillbilly - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Go get 'em, tiger."]
‣ Dramatic Bridge 1 - Phil Green [trenchbillies won't let SpongeBob and Patrick leave]
‣ Cloak and Dagger [#69] - Phil Green ["Taking care of Ma?"]
• Hillbilly Home - Nicolas Carr ["You know, carry her purse..."]
• Steel Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Well, that all sounds like fun..."]
‣ Terror Hunt - Phil Green ["You folks ain't going nowhere."]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob and Patrick gone]
• Lopey Sailor's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Drama Link (G) - Hubert Clifford ["Mr. Krabs!"]
• Hillbilly Party - Nicolas Carr [Trenchbillies destroying Krusty Krab]
• Melodramatic Moments - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs nervous]
• Jovial Pirate's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Trenchbillies eating Krabby Patties]
• Shotgun Wedding - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Mr. Krabs and Ma Angler married]
• Hillbilly Party - Nicolas Carr [Ending ]
- This episode is available on the Legends of Bikini Bottom, Complete Seventh Season, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 12, Season 7 Volume 3, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, Triple Pack 3, The Best of Bikini Bottom, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, Sunđer Bob Kockalone DVD 7, Kids Double Pack, Kids Double Pack: Volume 3, Next 100 Episodes, Big Hits: Volume 2, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- "Trenchbillies" was ranked #28 during the SpongeBob's Top 100 event in the UK and Ireland from June 4-8, 2012.
- This episode, as well as the other episodes in the miniseries, was available on the Legends of Bikini Bottom DVD, released on November 16, 2010, two months before it aired on television.
- This episode was released on Facebook on January 27, 2011, two days before it aired on television.
- The trenchbillies in this episode do not have pupils due to the fact that they strike a resemblance to the anglerfish, which live deep into the ocean and do not need pupils to see, hence the trenchbillies having no pupils.
- However, the trenchbillies in "The Good Krabby Name" do have pupils.
- The instrument that Patrick plays in the challenge is actually the sound of a jaw harp.
- This is the second episode where SpongeBob is used as a guitar/banjo. The first is "Rodeo Daze."
- This is the second episode where SpongeBob and Patrick wind up lost in a city deep at the bottom of the seabed. The first is "Rock Bottom."
- This is the third and last pre-Season 9B episode to end with an iris out after "Wishing You Well" and "Rodeo Daze"; as of "Married to Money" and most prominently beginning Season 11, it became the standard closing for most episodes.
- The name "trenchbilly" is a parody of a "hillbilly."
- The scene where SpongeBob and Patrick are in a "musical challenge" is a parody of the banjo scene from Deliverance.
- There is a William Shakespeare book in this episode.
- Several times when SpongeBob is looking at the jellyfish from his binoculars, his mouth crosses over his arm.
- When Teether goes out of the house, the smoke becomes gray, but when he comes back, it is black again.
- ^ https://web.archive.org/web/20170817053052/http://www.throng.co.nz/tag/spongebob-squarepants/
- ^ https://youtu.be/aeMkRVjdVYc
- ^ https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/who-lives-in-a-pineapple-under-the-sea-and-has-16-million-facebook-friends-114300099.html
- ^ https://www.nickandmore.com/episode-lists/spongebob-squarepants/