- Patchy the Pirate (original airing only)
- Potty the Parrot (original airing only)
- Patrick Star
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Gary the Snail (mentioned)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- Krustomer (mentioned)
After four days in Jellyfish Fields, SpongeBob and Patrick are still silently waiting for the jellyfish to move. Finally, they swim away and they chase it. The plan is for SpongeBob to take one side and Patrick then takes the other. However, as both approach the jellyfish, they end up colliding, letting the jellyfish escape.They continue chasing the jellyfish. They don't watch where they are going and accidentally fall off a cliff, falling way down to a county-like village and land on a port-a-potty. Many of the trenchbillies gang up on SpongeBob and Patrick and capture them with a rope. They take them to Ma Angler, who says that they are "awful purdy." Ma Angler orders them to an initiation. SpongeBob and Patrick question them and Ma Angler sentences them to a series of challenges, being: a banjo contest, "hootin' and hollerin'" contest, and a wrestling match. SpongeBob and Patrick win the first two competitions but decline to the wrestling match, claiming that "they don't like to wrestle."
Ma Angler is surprised and asks them what they like to do for fun. SpongeBob claims that they like to play jellyfishing. They show the trenchbillies how to jellyfish and collide, once again. Ma Angler enjoys this. The trench billies laugh at them and call them dumb. Ma Angler certifies them as official honorary trenchbillies and gives the pair sets of novelty teeth.
SpongeBob gives a short speech before he and Patrick attempt to leave, however, they are stopped by a group of trenchbillies. Cletus Junior of the trenchbillies says that they have to take care of Ma Angler for the rest of their lives. SpongeBob and Patrick try to convince them to let them leave but the trenchbillies won't let them. As a result, Patrick stalls them long enough for him and SpongeBob to escape.
Meanwhile, at the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs and Squidward lightly chat about business and then SpongeBob and Patrick burst through the door. They tell the pair of what occurred but Mr. Krabs is unconcerned until they revealed that the trenchbillies followed them. The trenchbillies destroy the restaurant out of anger. Mr. Krabs nervously asks them for their orders. They all order something to eat. Mr. Krabs says that Ma Angler, who is eating a lot of Krabby Patties, will make Customer of the Week. One of the trench billies sees Mr. Krabs making "goo-goo eyes at the Ma Angler" and as the episode ends, Mr. Krabs is forced to get "hitched" (married) to Ma Angler.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Unknown Track 60 - Title card
‣ Excited Tension 2 - Phil Green [opening at Jellyfish Fields]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick chasing the jellyfish]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Your what?"]
‣ Pinapple Luau - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Patrick, there it goes!"]
‣ Rescue - Cecil Milner [SpongeBob and Patrick fall down a trench]
‣ Horror Crash - Harry Lubin [they land in an outhouse]
‣ Bluegrass Banjo - [Optigan sample] [Trenchbillies introduced]
‣ Closing the Door - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob and Patrick tied up]
‣ Hillbilly Home - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Well, tell me again."]
‣ ? [Flashback starts]
‣ Hillbilly Home - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["When not so much as a warning shout, these here varmints dun dropped, right out of the wild, black yonder, smack-dab onto my noggin!"]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Um..."]
‣ The Great White (h) - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick gulp]
‣ Unknown Track 61 - "Go on and get your fiddle."
‣ Hillbilly Dual - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Theether plays a short tune/Theether plays another short tune/Theether plays another short tune]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [trenchbilly takes off suspenders]
‣ Hillbilly Dual - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Teether continues playing/Patrick and Teether playing the song]
‣ Steel Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield ["It looks like he was the real... star."]
‣ Skipping to Hillbilly School - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [singing competition]
‣ Unknown Track 60 - Wrestling match
‣ Hillbilly Tension Build - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob nervous]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["What the...?"]
‣ ? [everyone laughs]
‣ Proud to be a Hillbilly - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Go get 'em, tiger."]
‣ Dramatic Bridge 1 - Phil Green [trenchbillies won't let SpongeBob and Patrick leave]
‣ Cloak and Dagger [#69] - Phil Green ["Taking care of Ma?"]
‣ Hillbilly Home - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["You know, carry her purse..."]
‣ Steel Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Well, that all sounds like fun..."]
‣ Terror Hunt - Phil Green ["You folks ain't going nowhere."]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob and Patrick gone]
‣ Lopey Sailor's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford ["Mr. Krabs!"]
‣ Hillbilly Party - Trenchbillies destroying Krusty Krab
‣ Melodramatic Moments - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs nervous]
‣ Jovial Pirates Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Trenchbillies eating Krabby Patties]
‣ Unknown Track 80 - Mr. Krabs and Ma Angler married
‣ Hillbilly Party - Ending
- This episode is available on the Legends of Bikini Bottom, Complete Seventh Season, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- Although this episode premiered in 2011, it was made in 2010 according to the credits.
- This episode was set to premiere on January 28, 2011, but it premiered a day later instead.
- This episode was originally supposed to be paired up with "The Main Drain," but it became paired up with "Sponge-Cano!" instead.
- The trenchbillies in this episode do not have pupils due to that fact that they strike a resemblance to the angler fish, which lives deep into the ocean and doesn't need pupils to see, hence the trench billies having no pupils.
- However, the trenchbillies in "The Good Krabby Name" do have pupils.
- The instrument that Patrick plays in the challenge is actually the sound of a jaw harp.
- If this story is true, then this episode reveals that Patrick has better eyesight than SpongeBob.
- It is unknown how SpongeBob, Patrick, and the trenchbillies got out from the trench, as it is never seen or mentioned.
- This is the second episode where SpongeBob is used as a guitar/banjo. The first is "Rodeo Daze."
- This is the second episode where SpongeBob and Patrick wind up lost in a city deep at the bottom of the seabed. The first is "Rock Bottom."
- This is one of the rare episodes where Squidward cares about the Krusty Krab customers (since he's complaining that Mr. Krabs didn't give the customer his money back).
- This episode premiered three years after the To Love a Patty DVD was released.
- The name "trenchbilly" is a parody of a "hillbilly."
- The episode's name may be a parody of the Adult Swim show Squidbillies.
- Another similarity is that Ma Angler is like Rusty's mother in Squidbillies in that they are both extremely overweight and cannot move from one place to another on their own.
- The scene where SpongeBob and Patrick are in a "musical challenge" is a parody of the famous banjo scene from Deliverance.
- There is a William Shakespeare book in this episode which is a reference to the famous playwright of the same name.
- Several times when SpongeBob is looking at the jellyfish from his binoculars, his mouth crosses over his arm.
- When Teether goes out of the house, the smoke becomes gray, but when he comes back, it is black again.
- Someone saying, "It's now or never."
- Cletus poking people with the pitchfork.