The trench monsters are a group of large, ravenous monsters that live in a trench in the outskirts of Bikini Bottom and Shell City, similar to the town of Rock Bottom. They first appear in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.
- A purple anglerfish
- A translucent fish
- A giant humboldt squid
- A humongous black eel
- A gigantic snail, with eyes for his shell
- A three-eyed red monster
- A black monster, with flexible eye stalks
- A green monster, with hands for eyes
- A giant Lobster (game only)
- A giant blue crab
- Rock beasts
- An eight-eyed squid (game only)
- See-through fish monster
- A big yellow monster with an eyestalk
- Three slow monsters
- Giant red eel
- A giant green hand
- A giant green crab
- A purple ball monster
- A three-eyed green fish monster
- A giant magenta clam, with one eye and teeth
- A big orange fish monster
- A black lobster/dragon monster
- A one-eyed teal monster, with green arms on its head
- A giant red squid
Role in series
The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie
SpongeBob and Patrick have to cross this area where these monsters live, and the creatures and beasts are not a threat, since they believe they are "invincible" and nothing can hurt them, seeing how Princess Mindy gave them "mermaid magic," turning them into men. These monsters really want to eat them, until they go along with the song and become their friends, only to be turned down after the "men" call them hideous and disgusting.
Patrick attempts to jump over them on a skateboard.
Smaller versions of them visit the Krusty Krab during the night shift.
They appear as an obstacle.
- Most of them are based on real deep-sea creatures, such as the anglerfish and humboldt squid.
- The monster making the yelping sounds at the stairs is not actually seen.
- The light on the road-like monster is designed to look like a traffic light.
- In the movie, the monsters are huge, but in "The Night Patty" they are about the same size as SpongeBob.