- Patrick Star
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Sandy Cheeks
- Cave fish (debut)
- Cricket (debut)
- Squidward Tentacles
- Mice (mentioned)
- Cockroaches (mentioned)
The episode starts with SpongeBob and Patrick running and screaming. They run into Sandy, explaining that a beast is chasing them. The "beast" is really a cricket from the surface. SpongeBob and Patrick notice that Sandy is packing food, water, dynamite, and tents in her jeep. SpongeBob and Patrick ask why she is packing. Sandy explains that she is packing for a camp in the wilderness. SpongeBob and Patrick ask if they can come, and Sandy says no because the camp is dangerous for them. When Sandy gets in her jeep, SpongeBob and Patrick sneak in her trunk to try to go to her camp. SpongeBob and Patrick fall out of the jeep when they are on their way there. The good news is that they fall out with food, water, and a tent.
SpongeBob and Patrick are in the wilderness. SpongeBob tells Patrick that he will set up the tent while Patrick starts a campfire. When the tent is set up, Patrick is finished with the campfire. SpongeBob then notices that Patrick did not make a campfire, but rather burned their food instead. SpongeBob tries to put out the fire with the tent, but that just sets the tent on fire. He pours water on it, which makes it go out. SpongeBob drinks the remaining water. By now, SpongeBob and Patrick burned their food, ruined their tent, and lost their water. Then they notice a cave.
They go in the cave and find an old man. The old man explains that they are stuck in the cave now and that he was there for over 40 years. SpongeBob and Patrick try to make a shelter. SpongeBob is then convinced that Patrick wants to eat him. The old man explains to SpongeBob to eat Patrick before he eats SpongeBob. SpongeBob and Patrick then make attempts to eat each other.
The old man is impressed, and he then reveals that he is really Sandy. Sandy then gives SpongeBob and Patrick survival badges. SpongeBob and Patrick suddenly get an interest of eating Sandy. The episode ends with Sandy saying, "Next time I'll bring more granola."
- SpongeBob and Patrick trying to eat each other.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Clownfish Capers - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Flight in Panic 1 - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick running to Sandy]
‣ Abject Terror - Paul Lewis ["SpongeBob and I are being chased by a savage beast!"]
• Question Sting - Nicolas Carr [cricket]
• Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["This little guy?"]
‣ Jungle Journey (a) - Nigel Martinez, Graham De Wilde [Sandy describes her camping trip]
• Steel Licks 8 - Jeremy Wakefield ["You two are harder to get rid of than cockroaches."]
• Steel Licks 9 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Why aren't these things working?!"]
‣ African Adventure - Peter Hope [Sandy leaves]
‣ Dramatic Cue (b) - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob and Patrick fall out of Sandy's truck]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [they scream]
‣ Sliding Down [#68] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [they fall back in]
‣ Death Trap - Gregor F. Narholz [they fall out again]
• The Pollywog Strut - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Okay, Patrick, we're all set."]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Patrick burned the food supply]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford ["Oh-no! Quick! Quick! Cover it over something!"]
• The Pollywog Strut - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [tent burned]
• Gametime - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Patrick thinking what to do/Raining]
• Steel Licks 20 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick enter a cave]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [shadow appears behind them]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Huh?"]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch [hermit revealed]
‣ Marching to Honolulu - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob builds himself a new home]
‣ Terror by Night - Hubert Clifford [hermit warns SpongeBob]
‣ Dangerous A - Mladen Franko [Patrick's hungry]
• Credit Card Heaven - Nicolas Carr [sponge cake]
‣ Finger of Suspicion 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob thinks Patrick wants to eat him]
‣ Fear 2 - Louis Clark [SpongeBob hiding from Patrick]
• Undertow - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick smells something cooking]
‣ Death Trap - Gregor F. Narholz ["I'm gonna cook you up and eat you!"]
‣ Fear 1 - Louis Clark [SpongeBob chases Patrick]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["What's this?"]
• Chumbucket Rhumba - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick cooking SpongeBob in a pot]
‣ Dramatic Impact 5 - Ivor Slaney ["Carrots?! You're making soup out of me!"]
• Solo Steel 3 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Why don't you take a nap on this nice soft bed?"]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["This isn't a bed!"]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr ["Did what?"]
• Earl's Revenge - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob's Pest of the West, SpongeBob's Atlantis SquarePantis (UK version), Season 5 Volume 2, SpongeBob StarPants, First 100 Episodes, The Super Celebrations, Really Big Box Set, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 8, The SpongeBob Super Square Collection, Complete Fifth Season, From the Beginning, Pt.2, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, Celebrate the Sea, The Inmates of Summer, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- Critic Paul Mavis of the DVD Talk in a review of SpongeBob's Pest of the West, praised the episode, and called the scene "when Patrick and SpongeBob, complete with Robinson Crusoe beards, turn first hermit, and then cannibal, as paranoia and dementia twist their heads as they try to eat each other" the episode's highlight.
- Despite the title, ironically, neither SpongeBob nor Patrick actually save Sandy.
- It is revealed that Sandy has an underwater Jeep-Mobile and that her treedome has a back-garage.
- In SpongeBob's flashback, it is revealed that Squidward has voodoo dolls of SpongeBob and Patrick.
- This was the first episode that Luke Brookshier and Nate Cash worked on together.
- This is the first episode where a sand version of the Krusty Krab is seen.
- This is the second episode where it falsely appears that Patrick is eating SpongeBob. The first is "The Smoking Peanut."
- To date, this is the last episode to use any version of the track "Dangerous."
- This is the last episode to use pencils for drawings.
- Like most of season 5 episodes, in Indonesian dub, the scene where SpongeBob and Patrick setting up their encampment was omitted due to time constraints.
- Patrick's sponge cake is a reference to the Twinkie.
- SpongeBob sitting in a kettle of hot water and thinking it is a bath, plus Patrick cutting up and adding carrots, is a nod to a number of classic Bugs Bunny shorts in which an enemy attempts to cook Bugs Bunny in a similar fashion.
- The title may be a reference to the 1960 novel To Kill a Mockingbird.
- SpongeBob and Patrick could not have gotten into Sandy's suit just by crashing into her when her suit was zipped up.
- Also, the air should have gotten out of Sandy's suit when she unzipped it, as she was underwater in that scene.
- When SpongeBob says, "Well, we burned our food, ruined our tent, and lost all our water.", his teeth turn yellow for a split second.
- When SpongeBob says, "Patrick, we are going to need to use our razor-sharp quick wits if we're going to make it out of here alive!", one of his green holes turns blue for a split second.
- Since Patrick burned the food supply and SpongeBob used all the water, they should not have had any food or water in the cave.
- The old man said that SpongeBob and Patrick were going to be stuck in the cave forever, although one can see that they could have easily escaped through the huge, unblocked entrance to the cave.
- When SpongeBob runs away from Patrick for the first time, Patrick's rock in the background disappears.
- When SpongeBob checks to see if Patrick wants to eat him, the compass on his rock disappears.
- When SpongeBob jumps out of the soup/stew, the carrots disappear.
- Patrick seems to go under a puddle when running, however, it has the same elevation.