- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patty (debut)
- Squidward Tentacles
- Incidental 24
- Mohawk fish
- Big-Mac Lemont
- Therapist (mentioned)
- Gary the Snail
- Patrick Star
- Sandy Cheeks
- Snake (mentioned)
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 106
- Incidental 63 (named Martha)
- Incidental 103
- Stunt scallops
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Incidental 36 (named Harold)
- Human audience (cameo) (storyboard only)
The episode starts off at the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob is seen cooking Krabby Patties. He makes several of them and falls in love with one of them, naming it "Patty." The patties are taken to customers, who start wolfing down on the food. Consumed by guilt, SpongeBob rescues Patty and Squidward's sarcastic suggestion takes it out but not before replacing her with a patty that has his shoe on it, which the customer still enjoys.
SpongeBob takes Patty to his house. Patrick and Sandy arrive, both hoping to play with SpongeBob, only for him to ignore them in favor of spending the day with Patty. Patrick is especially dismayed to have been rejected by his best friend. Meanwhile, SpongeBob takes Patty to several activities, such as going to the Valentine's Day Carnival, eating cotton candy, the mall, the beach, and when clams try to eat Patty, SpongeBob attacks them with karate. Later, they ride a boat down a river and go down a waterfall. Patty falls apart in the water, so SpongeBob puts the sandwich back together, but now Patty is soggy and gloomy looking.
After six hours of activity, SpongeBob takes Patty on a picnic in the park, but by now, the patty has spoiled. Somewhat oblivious to this, SpongeBob decides to take it on a date to the Krusty Krab. Once there, SpongeBob informs Mr. Krabs about his date and Mr. Krabs gets excited, thinking he is dating a rich girl, but finds it strange when he discovers the date is a Krabby Patty, with a rancid smell that drives off other customers. Squidward sullenly tries to tell SpongeBob that his date is just a rotten Krabby Patty, but SpongeBob still thinks Patty is beautiful until he smells her, then sees the hideous appearance of the spoiled patty.
SpongeBob questions how this came to be. Mr. Krabs tells the fry cook that he once fell in love with a Krabby Patty. He then tells SpongeBob that Krabby Patties are meant to be loved and eaten. SpongeBob finally knows what he must do and eats his date, feeling nauseous afterward. SpongeBob asks Mr. Krabs for a doggie bag as the episode ends.
There were 12 different models made for what SpongeBob would look like after Patrick ties him up.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Drunken Sailor - Nicolas Carr [title card]
◦ Surreptitiously Mine - Casey Alexander [SpongeBob sings this]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr ["Hey!"]
• Earl's Revenge - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob making Krabby Patties]
‣ Romeo & Juliet Overture - Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky, Fiachra Trench [SpongeBob falls in love with one of them]
‣ Keel Row - Brian Peters [SpongeBob gives the other patties to Squidward]
‣ Tearjerker [#78] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["A patty like you comes around once in a lifetime."]
‣ Space Fanfare - Gregor F. Narholz ["No, the job must come first."]
‣ The Legend Spreads - Steve London [sacred fry cook oath]
• Bad to the Spongebone - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony, Roberto Vergara [table of tough guys]
• Steel Licks 3 - Jeremy Wakefield [patty sheds tear]
‣ Tearjerker [#78] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["I can't let them eat you!"]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch [Squidward teases SpongeBob]
• Bad to the Spongebone - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony, Roberto Vergara [grilled shoe]
‣ Alekoki - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob at home]
‣ Dramatic Cue (b) - Ronald Hanmer ["Fire!"]
• Steel Licks 8 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob still running around]
• Seaweed - Steve Belfer [Patrick at the door]
‣ Spring Cleaning [#5] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["...with Patty. As soon as the little lady dries her hair, we're heading out."]
‣ Spring Cleaning [#4] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["No time for karate today. After our walk, I'm going for a rowboat ride with Patty."]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill ["I've been replaced by a sandwich!"]
◦ I Can't Keep My Eyes Off of You - Zeus Cervas, Eban Schletter [SpongeBob sings this]
‣ Bliss - Alec Gould [SpongeBob on a picnic]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [Krabs wondering where SpongeBob is]
‣ Place Bleu - Werner Von Overheidt [SpongeBob in a tuxedo]
‣ Elegance [#27] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [limo arrives]
• The Pollywog Strut - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [customers leave]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [shot of moldy patty]
‣ Background Blues - Otto Sieben [reserved seat]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [patty filled with maggots]
‣ Elegance [#27] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["She's the most gorgeous creature in the sea!"]
‣ The Jitters - Raymond C. Jones ["Patty...?"]
‣ House of Horror - W. Merrick Farran ["What happened to you?!"]
‣ The Dreadnought Tea Clipper (b) - Tim Laycock, Robert Alexander White ["Krabby Patties are meant to be eaten."]
‣ Romantic Ending [#32] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["I see what I must do."]
‣ Drunken Sailor (b) - Robin Jeffrey, Tim Laycock [ending]
- This episode is available on the Season 5 Volume 1, To Love a Patty, Absorbingly SpongeBob, First 100 Episodes, Loveable Sponge, Kids Double Pack: Volume 6, Holidays with SpongeBob 3-DVD Gift Set, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 7, Complete Fifth Season, From the Beginning, Part 2, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, Welcome Aboard, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, Easter with SpongeBob, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- Currently retired critic Mina Rhodes of the DVD Verdict criticized the episode in a review of the DVD release of the same name. She called the idea "stupid," and panned the musical number featured. "[The song] serves to remind one of when the show's musical numbers were actually a) funny, and b) catchy."
- The tough fish who wants to eat Patty, but instead gets a shoe burger, is the same tough fish who is the first fish seen through the telescope in "Shanghaied."
- He is also one of the fish who helps SpongeBob stall the kids in "Krabby Land."
- This episode also reveals that he loves grilled shoes.
- This is the second episode where Sandy wants to do karate with SpongeBob, and he turns down on the offer. The first is "Waiting."
- "I Can't Keep My Eyes Off of You" is a downloadable song on Rock Band 2.
- When SpongeBob falls down a waterfall, a rock formation which spells "LORD" can be seen in the background.
- Innuendo: After the song there was a deleted scene of SpongeBob, in his underwear, is in his bed with Patty. This was toned down to them having a picnic in the finished episode to remove any sexual undertones.
- When Patty becomes rotten, it is similar to the tainted burger that SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs gave to the health inspector in "Nasty Patty." Both patties went through an arguably similar ordeal, including both of them falling into dirty water.
- In the original storyboard, SpongeBob was shown wearing his wig and suit from "The Chaperone" on his date with Patty. The colors of his suit were changed for the final version of this episode, and his wig was removed entirely.
- In "Nasty Patty" and "Born Again Krabs," spoiled Krabby Patties are potentially lethal if consumed.
- SpongeBob does not notice that the Krabby Patty is rotten until Mr. Krabs and Squidward reveal it to him.
- Irony: SpongeBob should've thrown the rotten Krabby Patty away rather than eating her.
- The two close-ups of a rotten Krabby Patty were drawn by Kenny Pittenger, who said on his blog that he wasn't satisfied while working on them.
- This is one of the few episodes in which Mr. Krabs offers a discount to a customer.
- In the Dutch dub, this episode is called "Allerliefste Krabby," which translates to "Beloved Krabby."
- In the Croatian dub, this episode is called "Zaljubljena Spužva," which translates to "Sponge in Love."
- In the German dub, this episode is called "Burgina," which is also the German name for Patty.
- "I Can't Keep My Eyes Off of You" (aka "Oh, Baby") is a parody of the High School Musical song "I Can't Take My Eyes Off of You."
- Squidward saying, "How should I know? Do I look like my idiot's keeper?" may be a reference to the Bible, when Cain answers God's question by saying, "Am I my brother's keeper?"
- When SpongeBob first looks at Patty, it has a face made out of condiments on the patty, but in every scene before and after, it has a whole tomato slice covering the patty.
- When SpongeBob says, "Oh, Patty, when we're together, I feel like we're in our own little world like, like— nothing can hurt us," his white teeth turn yellow for a split second.
- Even though SpongeBob says it is his and Patty's six-hour anniversary, by the time Patty arrives at the Krusty Krab, only an hour has gone by between when SpongeBob left with her for the date.
- The appearance of SpongeBob's Krabby Patty keeps changing throughout the episode. When Squidward holds the patty, there are maggots, but when SpongeBob holds it, there is mold.
- In the Welsh dub, Luke Brookshier, Tom King, and Steven Banks are all listed as writers of this episode, even though none of them wrote this episode.
- ^ https://www.sbmania.net/forums/threads/season-5-in-israel.19088/#post-288317
- ^ a b Audio Commentary for this episode
- ^ Rhodes, Mina (2008-02-06). Review - Spongebob Squarepants: To Love A Patty. DVD Verdict. Archived from the original on 2013-09-21. Retrieved on 2019-07-15.
- ^ Success!: Kenny's Korner
- ^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsIftCclGHw