FANDOM


  • AMK152
    AMK152 closed this thread because:
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions, the next discussion is pending.
    04:24, July 4, 2014

    The list of ideas has grown to a point where I needed to create a separate article: ESB:Suggestions. The suggestions will still be linked from the Community Portal.

    Summary of success of suggestions:

    Status #
    Accepted/Passed/Implemented 9
    Dismissed/Cancelled/Rejected 8
    Currently discussing 1
    Delayed/undetermined 4
    Pending discussion 9

    Please keep the ideas/suggestions coming in this thread!

      Loading editor
    • By the way, AMK, when I suggested pictures in the sypnoses, trivia and errors having their own section, and bringing back the quotes section, this is what I envisioned, but keeping the tabs at the top above the infobox.

        Loading editor
    • I'd kinda think the aliases need their own section in the articles.

        Loading editor
    • Also, I think that people who request for adminship should be warned if they do not meet the admin requirements, so nothing like an admin request from someone who's new can't happen again.

        Loading editor
    • I suggest applying following format to our discussion pages:

      Format is based on the following things:

      • all sections of discussion page go into the grey box
      • parts from different authors sepearated with "----"
      • ephatising that you reply to someone with bulleted list [1]

      Purpose of the format:

      • making discussion pages more organized
      • ephatising text on discussion pages
      • making big signatures fit better
      • reading text is much more easier

      Also, the actual the tempaltes:

        Loading editor
    • Poll of the week on the home page and rename User of the Month as Employee of the Month.

        Loading editor
    • TrevorOntario719 wrote:
      Poll of the week on the home page and rename User of the Month as Employee of the Month.

      Having a poll of the week would be an excellent idea.

        Loading editor
    • Muchacha wrote:
      TrevorOntario719 wrote:
      Poll of the week on the home page and rename User of the Month as Employee of the Month.
      Having a poll of the week would be an excellent idea.


      Yeah, that would be a great idea.

        Loading editor
    • TrevorOntario719 wrote:
      Poll of the week on the home page and rename User of the Month as Employee of the Month.

      I like the poll idea. The problem with the Employee of the Month idea is that it might be confusing to users, especially new users.

        Loading editor
    • I think that there should be a shorter amount of time for a user who is on a certain number of Admin requests. I think that after awhile, waiting a month gets tiring.

        Loading editor
    • These were taken from a thread entitled "More Ideas". I just do not know if you got them.

      1. An automatic deleting system. After a certain period of time, if a page, image or video is up for deletion, it would delete it.

      2. When editing the Flying Dutchman's page recently, [not really recently anymore] I noticed that when you added a reference that was a duplicate of one above, it would still make another reference point. I think there needs to be a way to just have one reference point per source.

        Loading editor
    • First, We need a discussion on how long a stub is.

      Second, should we have a rule about telling your edit in the edit summary? (except for adding videos, photos, and templates that make you fill in the reason like the delete template)

        Loading editor
    • First, I probably said this on a previous "Ideas for ESB/SponeBob Wiki", but I think that we need to have a rule about what roles can be written on a voice actor's page. For example, Tom Kenny is getting kind of long because of roles he has played in other shows, movies, and video games.

      Second, I think that there should be a countdown clock. I alluded to this on my adminship request. The details of how to do it are here: http://dev.wikia.com/wiki/Countdown. We could use the countdown for things like background contests and, when we have the official date via a trailer, the second movie.

        Loading editor
    • 120d wrote: First, We need a discussion on how long a stub is.

      Second, should we have a rule about telling your edit in the edit summary? (except for adding videos, photos, and templates that make you fill in the reason like the delete template)

      The edit summary thing is unneccessary and takes time.

        Loading editor
    • 120d wrote:
      First, I probably said this on a previous "Ideas for ESB/SponeBob Wiki", but I think that we need to have a rule about what roles can be written on a voice actor's page. For example, Tom Kenny is getting kind of long because of roles he has played in other shows, movies, and video games.

      Second, I think that there should be a countdown clock. I alluded to this on my adminship request. The details of how to do it are here: http://dev.wikia.com/wiki/Countdown. We could use the countdown for things like background contests and, when we have the official date via a trailer, the second movie.

      I like the idea for a countdown clock. 

        Loading editor
    • TrevorOntario719 wrote:
      120d wrote:
      First, I probably said this on a previous "Ideas for ESB/SponeBob Wiki", but I think that we need to have a rule about what roles can be written on a voice actor's page. For example, Tom Kenny is getting kind of long because of roles he has played in other shows, movies, and video games.

      Second, I think that there should be a countdown clock. I alluded to this on my adminship request. The details of how to do it are here: http://dev.wikia.com/wiki/Countdown. We could use the countdown for things like background contests and, when we have the official date via a trailer, the second movie.

      I like the idea for a countdown clock. 

      Thank you.

        Loading editor
    • 1. Poll for rating episodes (the poll would be in each episode article with a scale from 1 to 10)

      2. Discussion for italicizing or quoting episode names.

      3. Subgalleries project: Thread:112969#2

      4. Adding on to what 120d said about the countdown clock, this can be used for counting down when the next SpongeBob episode or movie airs, and can be used on the home page.

        Loading editor
    • Nicko756 wrote:
      1. Poll for rating episodes (the poll would be in each episode article with a scale from 1 to 10)

      2. Discussion for italicizing or quoting episode names.

      3. Subgalleries project: Thread:112969#2

      4. Adding on to what 120d said about the countdown clock, this can be used for counting down when the next SpongeBob episode or movie airs, and can be used on the home page.

      1. Two problems: 1. We can't make polls for every episode because that would take too long. 2. Wikia should not be a place for rating episodes

      3. After reading this thread, the only problem I have with this is signing up for subgalleries. That is not a good idea because no one should be obligated to make subgalleries.

      4. I agree.

        Loading editor
    • Once a fact that is "this is the ___ time that _____", has reached 11 times, I think it can no longer be a fact like that and should be removed because by that point it does not become rare enough to point it out.

        Loading editor
    • I think that the descussion feed needs to return back to the Discussion Box on the front page. (if you are not going to do this, at least update it more frequently and add all discussions to the feed (including my adminship discussion))

        Loading editor
    • I think that admins and beurocrats should wait until the last couple of days before they can vote on discussions (not including background contests). That way, people will be able to vote without being influenced by admins or beurocrats. (You can support a discussion without voting on it)

        Loading editor
    • There should be a rule that says that people cannot create duplicated images. I am getting sick of having to put the delete template on duplicated files. Deleting duplicated images was my least favorite thing when I was an admin.

        Loading editor
    • I think instead of creating pages for background characters from scratch we use the pages that now contain the redirects because most contain a version of the page we are looking for.

        Loading editor
    • 120d wrote:
      I think instead of creating pages for background characters from scratch we use the pages that now contain the redirects because most contain a version of the page we are looking for.

      I agree.

        Loading editor
    • Thank you.

        Loading editor
    • Whooooo! 209,000!

        Loading editor
    • What?

        Loading editor
    • I just got the lucky 209,000th edit.

        Loading editor
    • Oh. Please stay on topic.

        Loading editor
    • I would like to suggest adding countdown for second SpongeBob movie to a main page. It will look like this:

        Loading editor
    • I would like to complain about the fact that people are using unofficial rules as explanations for their actions or are putting in effect rules that are unofficial. A recent example is the "quotes rule" this rule is apparently a rule where names of Episodes, Shorts, and Rides have to be quoted on their main page. This is not actually a rule. There was no community discussion on it. I would like to point out that just because people with more abilities (I am not using the word "power" anymore because that suggest superiority and inferiority, instead I am using "abilities") or experience on this wiki says that it is a rule, does NOT make it a rule. It is only a rule if it is in the official rules, and the ONLY way a rule can become a rule is through a community discussion. Another fine example is how long a stub is. There is no official rule on how long a stub is, but numerous people believe that it is 1,000 bytes. There is a poll going on, but until a discussion has begun there is no rule about how long a stub is. (Yes, I do know about the discussion that merely suggest how long a page is to no longer be a stub and that there is a short pages category.) A problem I have with this rule is that a page like David Hasselhoff is not considered a stub even though it only comprises of a infobox and a long paragraph. In my opinion, that should be considered a stub.

        Loading editor
    • I think that we should have a redo on the name scheme discussion. This time we should have it be the proper titling way and not the way Wikipedia does it. Wikipedia has no influence on this wiki. I am fine with the lowercase letters after slashes and parentheses, but I am not okay with the rest of the naming scheme. It is not correct.

        Loading editor
    • There is an inconsistency with the slogan. On the main page the slogan is "The SpongeBob SquarePants encyclopedia that anyone can join!", but on the Intro page, it says "This site is a wiki, a website that anyone can edit." So, which is the slogan?

        Loading editor
    • 120d wrote: There is an inconsistency with the slogan. On the main page the slogan is "The SpongeBob SquarePants encyclopedia that anyone can join!", but on the Intro page, it says "This site is a wiki, a website that anyone can edit." So, which is the slogan?

      The one on the main page.

        Loading editor
    • I think there should be a discussion about unconfirmed info. I am still uncomfortable with the "unconfirmed names" because even though we have the template, the article midleads readers into thinking that it is real. We still do not have sources for unconfirmed names. Also, the gallerymaps for some characters have future episodes (like the Second SpongeBob movie and "Yeti Krabs") that have not been confirmed yet have speculated info. 120d says he did that so if they do appear, that he does not have to add it later. This will mislead ureaders into thinking that they will appear in those episodes. 

        Loading editor
    • Nicko756 wrote:
      I think there should be a discussion about unconfirmed info. I am still uncomfortable with the "unconfirmed names" because even though we have the template, the article midleads readers into thinking that it is real. We still do not have sources for unconfirmed names. Also, the gallerymaps for some characters have future episodes (like the Second SpongeBob movie and "Yeti Krabs") that have not been confirmed yet have speculated info. 120d says he did that so if they do appear, that he does not have to add it later. This will mislead ureaders into thinking that they will appear in those episodes. 

      I hope you realize that the same can be said about the movie's title and release date. According to people, if the name and/or date changes we can change it too. That is what I plan to do. If someone doesn't appear in Yeti Krabs or the 2nd Movie, I will get rid of it.

        Loading editor
    • 120d wrote:
      Nicko756 wrote:
      I think there should be a discussion about unconfirmed info. I am still uncomfortable with the "unconfirmed names" because even though we have the template, the article midleads readers into thinking that it is real. We still do not have sources for unconfirmed names. Also, the gallerymaps for some characters have future episodes (like the Second SpongeBob movie and "Yeti Krabs") that have not been confirmed yet have speculated info. 120d says he did that so if they do appear, that he does not have to add it later. This will mislead ureaders into thinking that they will appear in those episodes. 
      I hope you realize that the same can be said about the movie's title and release date. According to people, if the name and/or date changes we can change it too. That is what I plan to do. If someone doesn't appear in Yeti Krabs or the 2nd Movie, I will get rid of it.

      The movie's title and release date have sources. The release date has been confirmed by the company Paramount and the title has been confirmed by both Nickelodeon and Paramount.

      The gallerymaps for characters that are not confirmed to appear must be removed. There are no sources and readers will be misleaded.

      Also, Yeti Krabs has already aired in Greece and a list of characters can be seen on the article. Characters that do not appear in "Yeti Krabs" must be removed.

        Loading editor
    • Nicko756 wrote:
      120d wrote:
      Nicko756 wrote:
      I think there should be a discussion about unconfirmed info. I am still uncomfortable with the "unconfirmed names" because even though we have the template, the article midleads readers into thinking that it is real. We still do not have sources for unconfirmed names. Also, the gallerymaps for some characters have future episodes (like the Second SpongeBob movie and "Yeti Krabs") that have not been confirmed yet have speculated info. 120d says he did that so if they do appear, that he does not have to add it later. This will mislead ureaders into thinking that they will appear in those episodes. 
      I hope you realize that the same can be said about the movie's title and release date. According to people, if the name and/or date changes we can change it too. That is what I plan to do. If someone doesn't appear in Yeti Krabs or the 2nd Movie, I will get rid of it.
      The movie's title and release date have sources. The release date has been confirmed by the company Paramount and the title has been confirmed by both Nickelodeon and Paramount.

      This is not true. Just because a newspaper or magazine says it doesn't make it true. The only way they can truely confirm it is by a trailer.

        Loading editor
    • The companies Paromount and Nickelodeon both confirmed it.

        Loading editor
    • Nicko756 wrote:
      The companies Paromount and Nickelodeon both confirmed it.

      You are getting these from your sources which don't actually have sources that tell us that.

        Loading editor
    • 120d wrote:
      Nicko756 wrote:
      The companies Paromount and Nickelodeon both confirmed it.
      You are getting these from your sources which don't actually have sources that tell us that.

      120d, you're being pretty disrespectful.

        Loading editor
    • Muchacha wrote:
      120d wrote:
      Nicko756 wrote:
      The companies Paromount and Nickelodeon both confirmed it.
      You are getting these from your sources which don't actually have sources that tell us that.
      120d, you're being pretty disrespectful.

      Disrespectful to what? I am just telling the truth.

        Loading editor
    • 120d wrote:
      Nicko756 wrote:
      The companies Paromount and Nickelodeon both confirmed it.
      You are getting these from your sources which don't actually have sources that tell us that.

      http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?view2=upcoming&view=company&studio=paramount.htm

      http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/release-schedule

      Main Source (This proves the title is correct): https://twitter.com/ParamountIRL/status/476372217475776512

        Loading editor
    • The only source that has the title is the last one, however since it is a poster the name and date can still change. Although the date in a trailer can change, the title usually does not, that is why I will only trust a trailer.

      Also, on the last source, it doesn't even have a date.

        Loading editor
    • We understand your point of you. Everyone else supports having the date and title with the current sources so they will stay. The trailer will supplement what we already have.

        Loading editor
    • Spongebob456 wrote:
      We understand your point of you. Everyone else supports having the date and title with the current sources so they will stay. The trailer will supplement what we already have.

      "Supplement" is not the correct word. The trailer will confirm or deny the title and date.

        Loading editor
    • Exactly. So we'll change those if the trailer gives different information.

        Loading editor
    • Okay. I think that you have forgotten the point of why I brought this up. I brought this up as a counterpoint to Nicko's original point of how we shouldn't assume that a character or location is in a episode or in the 2nd movie. My point is that if he, she, or it does not appear in an episode or the movie, then we can just remove that episode or movie from the gallerymap once it airs or is released.

        Loading editor
    • 120d wrote:
      Okay. I think that you have forgotten the point of why I brought this up. I brought this up as a counterpoint to Nicko's original point of how we shouldn't assume that a character or location is in a episode or in the 2nd movie. My point is that if he, she, or it does not appear in an episode or the movie, then we can just remove that episode or movie from the gallerymap once it airs or is released.

      My point is that the movie has sources and the gallerymaps and unconfirmed names do not.

        Loading editor
    • Oh my mistake then. I agree with the Gallerymaps. Obviously we can assume all the main characters are in, especially as Clancy Brown and the Director said they would be. We don't know about locations yet.

        Loading editor
    • Spongebob456 wrote:
      Oh my mistake then. I agree with the Gallerymaps. Obviously we can assume all the main characters are in, especially as Clancy Brown and the Director said they would be. We don't know about locations yet.

      I don't mean the main characters. He is putting the movie in the gallerymaps for minor characters like Dwight T. Wad.

        Loading editor
    • We can't guarantee he'll be in the movie.

        Loading editor
    • Nicko, not everything needs sources. There are things that can be assumed until proven wrong.

        Loading editor
    • We also have no idea if he will not be in the movie. We do not know what characters will be in the movie and which will not. As far as we know they could be bringing back every character that has appeared in the series thus far.

        Loading editor
    • The same philosophy can be applied to the date and title. It's no big deal. We can always delete the Gallerymaps if they're proven to be wrong.

        Loading editor
    • Spongebob456 wrote:
      The same philosophy can be applied to the date and title. It's no big deal. We can always delete the Gallerymaps if they're proven to be wrong.

      Exactly. Also, I think you mean the info in the Gallerymaps, not the gallerymaps themselves.

        Loading editor
    • Yes, that's what I meant. Glad this is sorted. :)

        Loading editor
    • I still have a problem with the unconfirmed names, even with the template 120d made.

        Loading editor
    • This isn't really an idea, but more something that NEEDS to happen ASAP. The category Super Heroes has to be changed to "Superheroes". The reason for this is because "Super Heroes" is a copyrighted or trademarked phrase.

        Loading editor
    • New suggestions in this thread so far:

      • Aliases in their own section
      • I am not sure about this one. The aliases list tends to get long, such as using random insults as an alias.
      • Use of discussion formatting as AW10 has done at FSB
      • Changing User to "Employee" of the Month
      • This has already been discussed in chat and was an unpopular idea. "User" seemed to fit it best.
      • Poll of the week
      • Changing the time limit between admin requests
      • Automatic deleting system
      • Only a bot could do this, but it is best that admins review these first, otherwise anyone could put something up for deletion
      • Duplicate reference points
      • Use <ref name="name">Reference</ref>
      • Stub length
      • This was already brought up in chat. It was decided that admins make there own judgment and if an article is short and there is nothing else to add, it's no longer a stub.
      • Edit summary rule
      • This could be a recommendation, but this is not something that would be easy to enforce and would discourage contributions
      • Roles for actors
      • It was agreed upon in a chat meeting that it does not hurt to have all information on an actor. Of course, guests just go on this list.
      • Poll for rating episodes
      • Research for this is still underway
      • Discussion for italicizing or quoting episode names.
      • Subgalleries project
      • All that needs to be done is to create a project page, and then it can be advertised for interested contributors to see.
      • "Once a fact that is "this is the ___ time that _____", has reached 11 times, I think it can no longer be a fact like that and should be removed because by that point it does not become rare enough to point it out."
      • "I think that the descussion feed needs to return back to the Discussion Box on the front page."
      • I am currently working on a system that will notify users of ESB news much more effectively.
      • "I think that admins and beurocrats should wait until the last couple of days before they can vote on discussions (not including background contests). That way, people will be able to vote without being influenced by admins or beurocrats. (You can support a discussion without voting on it)"
      • It's mostly admins and bureaucrats that contribute to the discussions anyway. How is there influence?
      • "There should be a rule that says that people cannot create duplicated images."
      • It's basically a given thing. If someone does this, they don't need to be blocked, just told that they uploaded a duplicate image. There are so many images here, for some users might not know that they uploaded a duplicate.
      • "I think instead of creating pages for background characters from scratch we use the pages that now contain the redirects because most contain a version of the page we are looking for."
      • That is the intention.
      • "A recent example is the "quotes rule" this rule is apparently a rule where names of Episodes, Shorts, and Rides have to be quoted on their main page."
      • 120d - what do you mean?
      • "I think that we should have a redo on the name scheme discussion."
      • You are the only one who had an issue with this, 120d.
      • Category Super Heroes > Superheroes
      • I will get my bot to change this.


      Clearly, there are several issues going on that are causing argument all over, and we NEED to end these once and for all. I am going to create a series of discussions and also implement my new announcements system so that everyone is notified of every discussion. We cannot let these arguments go on, so we need to settle these once and for all with discussions. I will soon close this thread and start the 6th ideas thread.

        Loading editor
    • AMK152 wrote:
      New suggestions in this thread so far:
      • Aliases in their own section
      • I am not sure about this one. The aliases list tends to get long, such as using random insults as an alias.
      • Use of discussion formatting as AW10 has done at FSB
      • Changing User to "Employee" of the Month
      • This has already been discussed in chat and was an unpopular idea. "User" seemed to fit it best.
      • Poll of the week
      • Changing the time limit between admin requests
      • Automatic deleting system
      • Only a bot could do this, but it is best that admins review these first, otherwise anyone could put something up for deletion
      • Duplicate reference points
      • Use <ref name="name">Reference</ref>
      • Stub length
      • This was already brought up in chat. It was decided that admins make there own judgment and if an article is short and there is nothing else to add, it's no longer a stub.
      • Edit summary rule
      • This could be a recommendation, but this is not something that would be easy to enforce and would discourage contributions
      • Roles for actors
      • It was agreed upon in a chat meeting that it does not hurt to have all information on an actor. Of course, guests just go on this list.
      • Poll for rating episodes
      • Research for this is still underway
      • Discussion for italicizing or quoting episode names.
      • Subgalleries project
      • All that needs to be done is to create a project page, and then it can be advertised for interested contributors to see.
      • "Once a fact that is "this is the ___ time that _____", has reached 11 times, I think it can no longer be a fact like that and should be removed because by that point it does not become rare enough to point it out."
      • "I think that the descussion feed needs to return back to the Discussion Box on the front page."
      • I am currently working on a system that will notify users of ESB news much more effectively.
      • "I think that admins and beurocrats should wait until the last couple of days before they can vote on discussions (not including background contests). That way, people will be able to vote without being influenced by admins or beurocrats. (You can support a discussion without voting on it)"
      • It's mostly admins and bureaucrats that contribute to the discussions anyway. How is there influence?
      • "There should be a rule that says that people cannot create duplicated images."
      • It's basically a given thing. If someone does this, they don't need to be blocked, just told that they uploaded a duplicate image. There are so many images here, for some users might not know that they uploaded a duplicate.
      • "I think instead of creating pages for background characters from scratch we use the pages that now contain the redirects because most contain a version of the page we are looking for."
      • That is the intention.
      • "A recent example is the "quotes rule" this rule is apparently a rule where names of Episodes, Shorts, and Rides have to be quoted on their main page."
      • 120d - what do you mean?
      • "I think that we should have a redo on the name scheme discussion."
      • You are the only one who had an issue with this, 120d.
      • Category Super Heroes > Superheroes
      • I will get my bot to change this.


      Clearly, there are several issues going on that are causing argument all over, and we NEED to end these once and for all. I am going to create a series of discussions and also implement my new announcements system so that everyone is notified of every discussion. We cannot let these arguments go on, so we need to settle these once and for all with discussions. I will soon close this thread and start the 6th ideas thread.

      For the Stub length thing, I think that it is time to make an official length, especially with non-admins making the call on whether or not they are stubs.

      For the admin discussion part, I feel that those who are not admins bureaucrats are influenced by the admins and bureaucrats' decisions. So, if an admin liked it an normal user will also like it.

      For the example about the quotes rule, AW10 added quotes to episode, short, ride, and movie page templates without a discussion.

      For the name scheme, I am actually suprised that Nicko hasn't said anything about this yet because he wants everything to be correct. Anyway, the reason that I am bringing this up is that I am right and the names should be corrected. I don't know why you are so against this. Don't you want this wiki to be correct?

      For the superheroes thing, thank you.

      A bit of advice, number these things, so that I and others can just say 1 or 2, instead of "for the superheroes thing".

        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.