- Patrick Star
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Incidental 107
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 60
- Incidental 45
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 22
- Incidental 31
- Scooter (Purple)
- Incidental 47
- Incidental 158
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 105
- Incidental 36
- Incidental 67
- Incidental 106
- Incidental 63
- Incidental 103
- Incidental 49
- Old Man Jenkins
- Incidental 20
- Incidental 150
- Incidental 152
- Incidental 151
- Incidental 2
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 114
- Incidental 11
- Incidental 153
- Incidental 13
- Incidental 17
- Incidental 12
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 73
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 69
- Incidental 104
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 8
- Incidental 108
- Incidental 65
- Incidental 5
- Incidental 82
- Incidental 102
- Incidental 118
- Incidental 25
During a game of tag between SpongeBob and Patrick, the duo carelessly falls off a cliff and into an underground cavern, which conceals a large shipwreck called the "Mauna Loa." SpongeBob and Patrick excitedly then spend the day playing on and exploring the ship, soon discovering a giant pile of golden coins with the words "Mauna Loa" engraved on each inside. Suddenly, SpongeBob checks his watch and realizes that he is late for work, running off and leaving Patrick on his own.SpongeBob, at the Krusty Krab, distractedly does his work while thinking about their hideout. SpongeBob even creates a Krabby Patty in the shape of a ship, which he ends up throwing away when an impatient Squidward inquires him about his peculiar creation. Patrick, adding an insult to injury, walks into the restaurant wearing a shirt with the words "Follow Me to the Mauna Loa" on it. When SpongeBob asks Patrick to make their secret hideout less obvious to the public, Patrick only responds by repeatedly chanting "'Secret Hideout!'," getting the attention of everyone inside. When SpongeBob yells at Patrick to stop, Mr. Krabs bursts through the door and impatiently asks Patrick to leave the kitchen. As SpongeBob ends his shift and walks out with Patrick, Patrick pays for a Krabby Patty with one of the coins from the ship. When Squidward confusedly mumbles the words "Mauna Loa," Mr. Krabs snatches the coin from him, reflecting that the Mauna Loa houses the ocean's largest hoard of treasure and that he has been searching for it his entire life. He then dubiously follows SpongeBob and Patrick to the hideout's entrance, which was made obvious by a sign that Patrick had put up.
SpongeBob eventually shows Mr. Krabs the pile of coins, which causes Mr. Krabs to happily celebrate his lifelong goal finally being achieved. However, SpongeBob notices and points out to Mr. Krabs that the gold coins are actually tokens and have no monetary value. Mr. Krabs thinks that the fake stash is simply a decoy and believes the real treasure is hidden somewhere else on the ship, but upon further exploration, the trio finds a ticket booth, a height restriction chart, and a plastic skeleton wearing a captain's uniform. From this, Mr. Krabs comes to the conclusion that the ship is simply a derelict amusement park ride that holds no genuine treasure.
Deeply frustrated, Mr. Krabs decides to leave, but then realizes he could make lots of money by opening the hideout to the public as an attraction ride, although he ignores the terrible, unsafe condition that the ride is in. Soon, the ride is busy in operation with many people, despite the obvious dangers, but the riders ignore the perils anyway. SpongeBob and Patrick, distraught at first about losing their secret hideout, eagerly decide to ride the attraction one last time.
While in motion, the old ship loses planks of wood as it spins, one of which hits the ride's controls, pushing the throttle and accelerating the ride to "beyond comprehension." The ride quickly picks up speed and spins 360 degrees over and over again around the swing, ejecting many riders off of the ship.
Meanwhile, one of the swing's supports, which was in bad disrepair, stresses as the ship swings around before finally snapping, causing the swing to shatter and tossing the ship high into the air. Aghast observers on the ride's sidelines watch as the ship, full of terrified riders as well as SpongeBob and Patrick, plummets to the ground, imploding into an askew pile of wood planks and shards.
SpongeBob and Patrick, undisturbed and somehow unharmed by the impact, excitedly pop up from the rubble and comment that the ride was "awesome" and "totally realistic." However, a battered rider, bruised and covered in splinters all over, angrily points out that the "careless contraption" of a ride nearly killed them all. The other riders emerge with various injuries and furiously surround Mr. Krabs, who quickly becomes arrested by a waiting police officer. The officer then comments that Mr. Krabs will be less of a public danger in prison.
The scene then transitions to the ride's entrance, boarded up and condemned, as a saddened SpongeBob and Patrick helplessly overlook. They leave the site, but are swallowed up by the ground and sink through. They land on the deck of another shipwreck, which is discovered by SpongeBob to be the real Mauna Loa. SpongeBob then questions Patrick if he can keep a secret, with Patrick happily denying this.
This section is in need of cleanup in order to comply with Encyclopedia SpongeBobia's Manual of Style. Please help Encyclopedia SpongeBobia by making this section specific and short.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Drunken Sailor - Nicolas Carr [Title card]
• Pinapple Luau - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick playing tag]
‣ Dramatic Impact 2 - Ivor Slaney [SpongeBob falls off a cliff.]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford ["Hang on, I'm coming!"]
‣ Setting Sail - Dick Stephen Walter ["Whoa, what is this place?"]
‣ The Jovial Buccaneers [#33] - John Fox [pirate ship]
‣ Sea Battle [#45] - John Fox [SpongeBob and Patrick swordfighting]
‣ Dramatic Impact 5 - Ivor Slaney ["Patrick! I'm coming, buddy!"]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr ["Patrick!"]
• Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [treasure]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Wow, what's this?"]
• Steel Licks 6 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob goes to work.]
• Nautical Hijinx - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["SpongeBob, what are you doing?"]
• Drunken Sailor Solo Accordion-2 - Nicolas Carr [Krabby Patty sculpture of pirate ship]
• Steel Licks 10 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Porous freak."]
• Nautical Hijinx - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Patrick's t-shirt.]
• Steel Licks 7 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob quickly leaves.]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Hmm, a gum wrapper and a coin that says 'Mauna Loa'."]
‣ Mr. Swashbuckle - James McConnel [Mr. Krabs talks about the Mauna Loa.]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm..."]
• Drunken Sailor Solo Accordion-2 - Nicolas Carr ["Come on, Squidward. We got to let those two ding-a-lings lead us straight to the Mauna Loa!"]
• Gator - Steve Belfer ["Hey, Patrick, do you think we gave away too much about our secret hideout?"]
‣ Primitive Force - Raymond C. Jones [seaweed moving]
‣ Drama Link (b) - Hubert Clifford ["We're being followed."]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["I just saw the sign."]
• Another Krusty Krab Day - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Mr. Krabs at the hideout]
• Who Said That - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Mr. Krabs asks where the treasure is.]
• Steel Licks 9 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Pushovers."]
‣ Mr. Swashbuckle - James McConnel ["I knew I'd find it!"]
‣ Befuddled Gent - Phil Green [Token Has No Monetary Value]
‣ The Jovial Buccaneers [#32] - John Fox [treasure chest]
‣ The Jovial Buccaneers [#36] - John Fox [Mr. Krabs falls, breaking the box.]
• Silly Shenanigans - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Ha, ha, very clever, captain."]
• Who Said That - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Mr. Krabs realizes it is an amusement park ride.]
• Welcome to Glove World - Barry Anthony ["No wonder we were so amused."]
• Light Conversation 1 No Triangle - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["This place ain't got no treasure!"]
• Welcome to Glove World - Barry Anthony ["Brace yourselves, fellers!"]
• Steel Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick are sad.]
• Welcome to Glove World - Barry Anthony [They ride on the ship.]
• Slide Whistle Stooges - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [The ride speeds up.]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [Mr. Krabs gets arrested.]
‣ Pua Paoakalani B - Kapono Beamer, Queen Lili'uokalani [hideout condemned]
‣ Horror Crash - Harry Lubin [SpongeBob and Patrick fall underground.]
‣ Mr. Swashbuckle - James McConnel [The Real Mauna Loa]
- The word "Mauna" is in Filipino language, it means to "anticipate."
- In real life, Mauna Loa is actually the largest volcano in the world, in terms of volume. There was also an actual ship called the S.S. Mauna Loa, which sunk in February 1942.
- When Patrick flings the token at SpongeBob, if one were to pause the screen image and look closely, the token clearly reads "Token has no monetary value."
- Mr. Krabs pronounces "Mauna Loa" twice correctly: when he discovers the token and when he goes into the Captain's Quarters.
- This is the second episode where a cavern appears. The first is "Chum Caverns."
- This is the third episode where SpongeBob and Patrick are pirates. The first is "Arrgh!" and the second is "Grandpappy the Pirate."
- This is the fourth episode where Mr. Krabs is arrested, the first is "The Smoking Peanut," the second is "The Krusty Sponge" and the third is "Patty Caper."
- Though Mr. Krabs' token has no monetary value, Patrick buys something at the Krusty Krab with one.
- The kid who was at first too short to ride is seen on the ride just before.
- As the ride plummets to the ground, it turns upside down, so everyone would have just fallen off the ship.