- Incidental 107
- Fish from a bathtub (debut)
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 45
- Squidward Tentacles
- Handsome Squidward (debut)
- Patrick Star
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Therapist (mentioned)
- Incidental 116
- Incidental 49 (name revealed)
- Incidental 84 (name revealed)
- Fred (normal; blue)
- Incidental 22
- King Neptune (mentioned)
- Incidental 15
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 39
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 63
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 150
- Purple teen fish (debut)
- Incidental 8
- Incidental 87
- Scallops and clamss
- Incidental 65
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 104
- Incidental 93
- Incidental 60
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 12
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 155
- Incidental 85
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 3
- Incidental 5
- Incidental 21
- Incidental 37A
- Incidental 47
- Incidental 108
- Incidental 4
- Incidental 105
- Incidental 9
- Incidental 106
- Incidental 68
- Incidental 69
- Incidental 23
- Incidental 67
- Incidental 13
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 73
- Incidental 36
- Incidental 103
- Incidental 153
- Grandma Tentacles or Squidward's maternal grandma (mentioned)
- Incidental 18
- Incidental 16
- Incidental 94
- Incidental 10
- Incidental 24
- Incidental 118
- Incidental 20
- Incidental 152
- Incidental 151
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Incidental 102
- Incidental 118
- Incidental 154
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 2
- Gary the Snail (cameo in picture)
- Other Bikini Bottomites
As the episode begins, it is "Take-Your-Friend-to-Work day," so SpongeBob brings Patrick to the Krusty Krab and makes him his co-fry cook for the day. SpongeBob and Patrick sing "Squidward Had a Krabby Patty." Squidward becomes very annoyed, so he tells them to stop. However, they ignore him and continue singing, so Squidward goes to the door of the kitchen to yell at them, but just as he reaches the door, the door swings open as SpongeBob comes out singing, and it hits Squidward in the face. Squidward is in great pain, and yells at SpongeBob to take him to the hospital. At the hospital, SpongeBob is nervously pacing up and down and chewing on Krusty Krab hats, when Incidental 116 opens the door to the waiting room. SpongeBob bursts into tears and asks if Squidward is going to be okay, to which Incidental 116 replies by saying they will not know for two weeks.
Two weeks later, SpongeBob goes into the hospital holding a bouquet of flowers. He gives one of the flowers to Mable, who is apparently suffering from amnesia, and then he walks into Squidward's operation room. Incidental 116 says that Squidward had asked to keep SpongeBob far away from him, but SpongeBob promises to stay out of the way. Just as Incidental 116 is about to cut the bandages, SpongeBob interrupts him, saying to not rush it. He then interrupts a second time, asking if Squidward has enough "emensmansera," to which the doctor says he has never heard of. SpongeBob then interrupts a third time, saying the readings on a brain meter (which is actually a television) are wrong, and a fourth time with a television program. SpongeBob interrupts once more as the doctor angrily wonders what the reason is as SpongeBob ironically says it was to apologize for interrupting him, and the bandages are finally cut. Squidward's face is so handsome it causes the doctor and a nurse to faint, and when Squidward looks in a mirror, he is thrilled to see he really is handsome.
As Squidward is walking through town, multiple fish see him, call him handsome, and faint. One fish crashes a car, an old lady regains the ability to walk, a blind fish regains the ability to see, and one fish becomes able to fly. Many fish begin taking photographs of Squidward, and one asks for an autograph. Squidward is enjoying the attention. A limo is waiting for Squidward and SpongeBob, which return them to Squidward's house. Many fans follow the limo, and take pictures of Squidward as he walks to his house. Squidward goes to sleep, while a group of fish is chanting 'handsome handsome handsome' outside his house all night. In the morning, Squidward remembers he is handsome, and goes out to greet the crowd, which has grown significantly over night. Suddenly, the fans start trying to take his shirt and eyelids, and Squidward rushes back inside. Squidward instead decides to play them a song on his clarinet, and the crowd cheers for him. But then, someone grabs his clarinet from him as he is leaning out the window, and that fish is attacked by the crowd who also want the clarinet.
Squidward tries to take his mind off the incident by having an herbal bath, but someone reaches through the window and grabs his soap. Squidward tries to enjoy his bath, but a huge fish emerges from his bath, and then fish start coming through his window, door, and even toilet, and try to 'get' him. Squidward jumps out the window, but the crowd is still outside, and they start to approach him. He runs into SpongeBob's house, who is trimming his toenails, and Squidward begs SpongeBob to help him get his old life back. SpongeBob and Squidward cut through the crowd and run to the Krusty Krab, with the crowd chasing after them.
When they arrive, Mr. Krabs is thrilled to see a crowd of people outside the Krusty Krab and tells the crowd they can pay to touch Squidward. Squidward asks SpongeBob to smash the door in his face before Mr. Krabs opens the doors to the Krusty Krab. SpongeBob does not want to hurt Squidward on purpose, but Squidward tells SpongeBob to hurt him or he will hurt SpongeBob, so SpongeBob repeatedly slams the door in Squidward's face. This ends up making Squidward even more handsome, then suddenly a shoe falls through a hole in the roof. Before it hits Squidward in the head, SpongeBob shoves him out of the way, and he stumbles face first into a pole. This returns Squidward's face to normal and the crowd leaves in disappointment. In an attempt to bring them back, Mr. Krabs repeatedly slams the door into Squidward's face, but to no avail, ending the episode from there.
- Squidward getting hit in the face with the door.
- Whenever the doctor tries to cut Squidward's bandages, SpongeBob interrupts him.
- The Bikini Bottomites thinking Squidward is handsome.
In this episode, SpongeBob says, "Handsome. But she spelled it wrong" after Squidward asks what Incidental 49 had called him a moment before. This was an inside joke, where the word, "Handsome" was missing the "d" on the storyboards of that scene.
Originally, the thing that was going to cause Squidward to get a broken face was a truck. It was changed to SpongeBob slamming the door on his face because it would have been too frightening to be shown.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ The Achterhoek Dances - Jan Rap ["Welcome to the Krusty Krab."/"Excuse me for just a second."/"Remind me to fire my therapist."]
‣ King Conga - Dennis Farnon [SpongeBob and Patrick dancing]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward getting angry]
‣ She'll Be Coming Round the Mountain - Harry Bluestone, James Bland, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob sings as he slams the door in Squidward's face]
‣ Dramatic Impact 3 - Ivor Slaney [Squidward screams]
‣ Classic Soap 14 - Dieter Reith [at the hospital]
• Hello Blues - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [two weeks later]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Right."]
‣ Menace [#42] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob interrupts/SpongeBob interrupts again/SpongeBob interrupts again]
• Steel Licks 8 - Jeremy Wakefield ["That is a television set put here for the patients' enjoyment."]
‣ Menace [#42] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob interrupts again]
‣ Classic Soap 1 A - Dieter Reith [SpongeBob watching TV]
‣ Menace [#42] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob interrupts again]
• Steel Licks 6 - Jeremy Wakefield ["I just wanted to say sorry for interrupting you before."]
‣ Menace [#36] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [bandages removed from Squidward]
‣ Mists of Illusion - Gilbert Vinter [doctor faints]
‣ Get 'em Off! (a) - Richard Myhill ["Handsome!"]
‣ Evil Mind 8 - Dick de Benedictis [Squidward looks in a mirror]
‣ Get 'em Off! (a) - Richard Myhill ["Wait a second... that nurse was right!"]
‣ Simply Fab - Larry Wilcox [everyone swooning over Squidward]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr [Squidward wakes up the next morning]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [huge crowd outside Squidward's house]
‣ Box Office [#76] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Good morning, my people."]
• ? - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward playing clarinet]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [someone takes Squidward's clarinet]
‣ Fruity Flute - Harry Bluestone [Squidward taking a bath]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [everyone bursts into Squidward's bathroom]
‣ Dramatic Impact 5 - Ivor Slaney [crowd chases Squidward]
• Sitar Lick - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob clipping toenails]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [Squidward wants his old life back]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm, I know just what to do."]
‣ 60s Dreamer - Michael Rheault, Miles Foxx Hill [they run to the Krusty Krab]
‣ The Dreadnought Tea Clipper (b) - Tim Laycock, Robert Alexander White ["You know what the Krusty Krab means to me, don't you?"]
‣ Paroxysms (i) - Trevor Duncan ["We don't have much time."]
• Steel Licks 9 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Just remember, Squidward, this is going to hurt me more than it's going to hurt you."]
‣ Tympdown A - Sammy Burdson, John Fiddy [SpongeBob slams the door into Squidward's face]
‣ Votre Toast - Paul Pritchard, Georges Bizet [Squidward's even more handsome]
‣ Vesti La Giubba - Ruggiero Leoncavallo, Daryl Griffith [shoe falls from the sky]
‣ Box Office [#80] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Squidward's back to normal]
• Steel Licks 6 - Jeremy Wakefield [everyone leaves]
‣ What Shall We Do with the Drunken Sailor - Okko Bekker [ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob's WhoBob WhatPants?, Season 5 Volume 2, First 100 Episodes, Glumly Squidward, Really Big Box Set, Holidays with SpongeBob 3-DVD Gift Set, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, Triple Pack 1, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 8, Complete Fifth Season, From the Beginning, Part 2, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, Favorite Episodes Volume 2, Big Hits: Volume 1, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- This episode and "The Inmates of Summer" were nominated for an Emmy at the 2008 Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Animated Program (for Programming Less Than One Hour).
- This episode was on TurboNick two days before it premiered on TV.
- This episode was paired up with "The Inmates of Summer" during its first airing in the Super Stuffed Nicksgiving Weekend 2007, but has since been re-airing with "SpongeHenge."
- The title card background for this episode is similar to that of "SpongeHenge," its sister episode.
- The color of the words in the title card represents the color of Squidward's pupils and eyeballs.
- The title card features some promotional art of Squidward.
- This was Charlie Bean's only episode as a writer and storyboard director.
- Incidental 116, the doctor, differs from his appearance in previous episodes in terms of his demeanor and voice.
- In the patient's room, when SpongeBob watches television, Fred is shown as a doctor with a female fish.
- In the Swedish dub, SpongeBob calls Squidward sexy, instead of calling him a hunk.
- In the scene where SpongeBob clips his toenails, there is incense burning in the background.
- Innuendo: Mr. Krabs tells the Bikini Bottomites to pay so they can get the opportunity to touch Squidward."
- When SpongeBob is hitting Squidward repeatedly with the door, some cracking noises can be heard.
- On Squidward's second "handsome face," it is shown that he wears a belt on his shirt.
- "Vesti la giubba" by Ruggero Leoncavallo is heard in the background during the scene when SpongeBob pushes Squidward to avoid being hit by a falling shoe.
- Squidward's second "handsome face" became a popular meme on the internet. The face has become very popular in edits, remixes, and numerous YouTube videos. It has also been parodied by fan-made art of other characters impersonating the handsome face. Squidward's "dancing" has also become popular on YouTube, and videos will usually show him dancing to different songs or music.
- It has also been used in the One Direction fandom, where a mathematical formula shows One Direction's Zayn Malik being added to Squidward's "even more handsome" stage, resulting in one of the guys from The Wanted.
- It has been referenced by Nickelodeon's social media accounts.
- The face was also seen in the episodes "Chatterbox Gary" and "Squidward's Sick Daze" and the video games SpongeBob's Game Frenzy, Monster Island Adventures, and Battle for Bikini Bottom - Rehydrated.
- The face is also made by a character in another video game, Deltarune.
- There is also an action figure based on Handsome Squidward that was released as part of the Masterpiece Memes toy line.
- There is a minigame based off this episode in SpongeBob's Game Frenzy.
- Squidward breaks the fourth wall three times in this episode:
- Squidward talks directly to the audience when welcoming up to the Krusty Krab.
- He later tells the viewers to remind him to fire his therapist.
- He says to the viewers "well, better go greet the commoners."
- In the French dub, this episode is called "Adorable Carlo," which translates to "Handsome Squidward."
- In the German dub, this episode is called "Fluch der Schönheit," which translates to "Curse of Beauty."
- In the Arabic dub, this episode is called "وجهان من Squidward," which translates to "Two Faces of Squidward."
- The title references the 1957 film, The Three Faces of Eve.
- "Squidward Had a Krabby Patty" is a reference to "Mary Had a Little Lamb." The other two songs are set to "The Can Can" and "She'll Be Coming 'Round the Mountain," respectively.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick are first seen, SpongeBob is not wearing his Krusty Krab employee hat.
- The second time they are seen, SpongeBob is wearing his hat.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick are in the kitchen, the end condiments were ketchup then mayonnaise in the next few scenes it's mustard than ketchup.
- SpongeBob tells Squidward he's going to cut his toenails right after they get home from the hospital, but when Squidward goes to SpongeBob's house the next day after sleeping through the night, SpongeBob is still cutting his toenails. It's possible SpongeBob put off cutting them until the next day.
- The floor in SpongeBob's house is brown instead of the usual sand floor.
- When Squidward walks in on SpongeBob clipping his toenails, he is wearing only his underwear and nothing else. However, when Squidward pulls SpongeBob by him, SpongeBob is wearing his normal clothes.
- When SpongeBob and Squidward escape SpongeBob's house, Squidward's towel and bathing cap disappear. Squidward is also seen wearing his shirt.
- When SpongeBob and Squidward rush into the Krusty Krab and get chased by the Bikini Bottomites, the Chum Bucket from across the street is missing.
- At the Krusty Krab, a red fish in the background only has eye pupils for a moment while Mr. Krabs is speaking. In the next shot, his full eyeballs are back.
- When Squidward becomes even more handsome, he is seen wearing a speedo looking pants and a belt. But when Squidward's face is back to normal, they disappear.
- The shoe dropped by the fish who flies after seeing handsome Squidward doesn't crash through the roof of the Krusty Krab until the next day (unless it was actually a different shoe thrown through the roof by one of the customers surrounding the Krusty Krab).
- In the Krusty Krab, when Squidward's face is back to normal, there are only a few characters in the background as if the others had left. But when the camera cuts outside, there is a huge amount of characters before they leave.