- Squidward Tentacles/Smelly
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- SWAT team
- Gary the Snail
- Kelpy G (debut)
- Nat Peterson (cameo)
- Sadie (cameo)
- Isabelle (cameo)
The episode starts off when Squidward looks outside and it's silent. He thinks that for once he'll have some peace and quiet, that is until SpongeBob and Patrick turn up looking to spend time with him.
He slams the door in their face when they decide to invite themselves in. Of course it'll take a little more than having a door painfully slammed in their faces to make them think that Squidward doesn't like them and just as he turns on a public television program, SpongeBob and Patrick appear and come inside to watch TV with him. Squidward leaves the two in his house and gets on his bike.
While he's riding, Squidward collides into a cement truck and the truck spills cement on him. He goes through a dumpster, hill and on the ground. Covered in cement and unrecognizable, Squidward finds himself in Jellyfish Fields. Immediately after, SpongeBob and Patrick come across Squidward and, thinking he's an unknown species of animal, name him Smelly and take him to SpongeBob's house. Next, SpongeBob gives Smelly a tour of his house.
Gary doesn't take too well to Smelly and so Patrick decides to keep the latter at his house (because he's "always wanted a pet"). Once there, Smelly acts up and a frantic Patrick calls Animal Control. The police soon arrive and surround the area, and so Smelly is taken to the zoo. The next night, SpongeBob and Patrick break into Smelly's cage and try to hide from the Zoo Guards. They hide in a sewer which leads to a place where a type of species that resemble the cement-covered Squidward live.
The creatures carry Squidward away and to his surprise, the musician that was on the TV that SpongeBob, Squidward and Patrick were watching is there playing the clarinet. As he's watching the musician, the cement covering Squidward cracks open, and all the creatures start to stare at him.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Clownfish Capers - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Footsteps of Horror - W. Merrick Farran ["It's too quiet."]
‣ Dingle's Regatta - Brian Peters ["Could it be?"]
• SpongeBob Closing Theme - Steve Belfer, Nicolas Carr [Squidward yells at SpongeBob and Patrick]
‣ Squiddy G - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [smooth jazz]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob, Patrick at the door]
‣ Squiddy G - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [smooth jazz]
‣ Drama Link (b) - Hubert Clifford [Squidward screams]
‣ Baby Elephant - Dick Stephen Walter ["All I wanted to do was watch some smooth jazz on public television."]
‣ The Bachelor Life (c) - Laurie Johnson ["I think I've seen this before."]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch [Squidward riding bike]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [Squidward gets covered with cement]
‣ Cartoon Capers (c) - Dick Stephen Walter [Squidward falls through a sewage pipe]
‣ Cartoon Capers (r) - Dick Stephen Walter [Squidward falls through a sewage pipe]
‣ House of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [Squidward stung by jellyfish]
‣ Steel Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [cement dries]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill ["Day five, I think."]
• Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["What is that thing, Patrick?"]
‣ Lonely Heart's Club (a) - David Bell, Otto Sieben ["Hi, stranger. I am SpongeBob."]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob and Patrick scream]
‣ Lonely Heart's Club (a) - David Bell, Otto Sieben ["Wait a minute, maybe he's not a monster."]
‣ Happy Holiday - Anthony Spurgin [back at home]
‣ Wooden Bear - Gil Flat, Tony Tape, Florian Voelxen [playing catch]
‣ Dramatic Cue (c) - Ronald Hanmer [Patrick calls Animal Control]
‣ Toys for Boys - Boris Schoska ["Sure, I'll hold."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (b) - Ronald Hanmer [Squidward tries to go home]
‣ Towerstreet 17 [#10] - Gerhard Narholz [SWAT team arrives]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer [Squidward taken to zoo]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Mommy, what is that thing?"]
• Steel Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [people laughing]
‣ Drowsy Reef - Jeremy Wakefield, Sage Guyton ["This isn't good."]
‣ Creepy Sting 3 - W. Merrick Farran, Gerhard Trade [SpongeBob and Patrick try to break Squidward out]
‣ West Side Rumble - Sam Spence [SWAT team chases them]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch ["Let's see where this dark sewer tunnel leads."]
‣ ? [jungle]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["I'm gonna miss him, SpongeBob."]
‣ Squiddy G - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [ending]
- This episode is available on the Season 4 Volume 2, Complete 4th Season, and First 100 Episodes DVDs.
- This is the first new episode of SpongeBob SquarePants to air in the year 2007.
- The squid on TV looks similar to Squidward from in dream in "SquidBob TentaclePants."
- This is the second episode in which Squidward has an accident while riding a bicycle in attempt to get away from SpongeBob and Patrick. The first was in "Jellyfishing."
- SpongeBob's grape juice box background is yellow and Patrick's is purple, but later they are both purple.
- The clarinetist is a parody of Kenny G, and the credits list his character name as "Kelpy G".
- This is the third of four episodes transcribed into a comic in the SpongeBob/Tokyopop book "Mistaken Identity". The other three were "Once Bitten," "That's No Lady," and "Rule of Dumb."
- Patrick says that Squidward hates pets, although, in "The Great Snail Race," Squidward shows great care for his snail.
- This is the first appearance of Kelpy G. The second will be "Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom."
- "Cool Jazz" will be heard once again in "Enchanted Tiki Dreams."
- Patrick never said where his house was but somehow the cops showed up right where they needed to.
- In this episode, Kelpy G'S name wasn't revealed. However, in "Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom," his name was revealed.
- However, his name was revealed in the credits of this episode.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick were watching TV, the show played the same music in "Rock-a-Bye Bivalve" and Patrick even said, "Oh wait! I think I've seen this before. This part's funny". It could be the same show Patrick watched in "Rock-a-Bye Bivalve."
- When Squidward is taken in by the other animals at the end, SpongeBob says to Patrick, "But he's with his own kind now, where he belongs, and with that, let us go back to where we belong." and this is a reference to the Walt Disney film, The Jungle Book.
- The title of the episode is a reference to Fantastic 4's, The Thing, the John Carpenter film, The Thing or Matthijs van Heijningen Jr.'s 2011 remake.
- At the beginning of the episode, the path to Patrick's rock is missing.
- The clarinetist's clarinet sounds more like a saxophone.
- The episode description on TV says that Squidward gets in a bicycling accident and gets covered in mud and leaves. He actually gets covered in cement.