The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie is a film based on Nickelodeon's hit TV show SpongeBob SquarePants. In this movie, SpongeBob and Patrick set off for Shell City to retrieve the crown of King Neptune in order to stop Plankton from taking over the world.
It was released in theaters in the United States on November 19, 2004 by Paramount Pictures. It was distributed in Switzerland, Spain, and Netherlands by Universal Pictures. On March 29, 2011, Paramount released the movie on Blu-ray. On December 30, 2014, Paramount re-released the movie on Blu-ray.
- The Seagulls
- The Pirates (debut)
- Captain Bart
- Upper Deck
- The Parrot
- Concessions Guys
- Other Audience Members
- French Narrator
- Dream Officer Rob
- Dream Officer John
- Dream Nancy O'Malley
- Dream Paco
- Dream Dennis Rechid
- Dream Taylor Fishbowl
- Dream Susie Fishbowl
- Dream Vera Fishbowl
- Dream Thaddeus
- Dream Tina Fran
- Dream Sadie
- Dream Monroe Timmy
- Dream Medley Fishbowl
- Dream Harv
- Dream Pilar
- Dream Nat Peterson
- Dream Dale
- Dream Martin
- Dream Tom
- Dream Eugene H. Krabs
- Dream Frankie-Billy
- Dream Scooter
- Dream Dave
- Dream Harold
- Dream Evelyn
- Dream Cara
- Dream John
- Dream Charlie
- Dream Clay
- Dream Debbie Rechid
- Dream Old Man Jenkins
- Dream Billy
- Dream Sandals
- Dream Fred
- Dream Sally
- Dream Frank (Lifeguard)
- Dream Abigail Marge
- Dream Anchovies
- Dream SpongeBob SquarePants
- Dream Martha Smith
- Dream Joe
- Dream Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Dream Perry
- Dream Nancy
- Dream Nazz-Mimi
- Dream Frank (red shirt)
- Phil's Wife (mentioned)
- Phil's Children (mentioned)
- Dream Jimmy Gus
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Gary the Snail
- Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy (cameo on a poster)
- Squidward Tentacles
- Patrick Star
- Perch Perkins
- Jimmy Gus
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Abigail Marge
- Sadie Rechid
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Phil (yellow)
- Nat Peterson
- Frank (looks a bit different)
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Karen Plankton
- Sandy Cheeks
- Mrs. Puff
- Dennis Rechid
- Billy Fishbowl
- Pearl Krabs
- Debbie Rechid
- Old Man Jenkins
- King Neptune's watch-guards (debut)
- King Neptune's Guards (debut)
- Other Royals
- Squire (debut)
- King Neptune
- Mindy (debut)
- Royal Crown Polisher (debut)
- Goofy Goober Clock (debut)
- Goofy Goober Waiter (debut)
- Other Goofy Goober Customers
- Goofy Goober Organist (debut)
- Goofy Goober (debut)
- Popeye and other old cartoon characters (seen on the back wall of the Nut Bar)
- Carriage Seahorses
- Clay (Possibly Plankton's voice in disguise)
- Floyd and Lloyd (Gas station attendants) (debut)
- Boat Jacker (debut)
- Miss Shell
- Dennis (debut)
- General Patrons of the Thug Tug (debut)
- Victor (debut)
- DJ (debut)
- Twins (debut)
- Larry the Lobster (cameo)
- Frogfish/Mr. Whiskers/Ice Cream Stand Owner
- Giant Eel (debut)
- Trench Monsters (debut)
- Maximus (debut)
- The Cyclops (debut)
- "Alexander Clam Bell" (mentioned) (debut)
- Alexander Clam Bell (fake) (debut)
- Unknown Pufferfish (debut)
- David Hasselhoff (debut)
- Person on the Floating sail boat
- Living Toys
- Officer John
- Officer Nancy
A group of pirates get tickets to watch The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie from a treasure chest. The pirates then sing the "SpongeBob SquarePants Theme Song," enter a movie theater, raid it, and sit down to watch the movie.
The movie properly begins with an emergency at the Krusty Krab, complete with police helicopters and news reporters. Suddenly, SpongeBob SquarePants, "the manager," arrives in a sleek sports car. Mr. Krabs says that it started with a simple order, a Krabby Patty with cheese. "When the customer took a bite, no cheese!" Mr. Krabs starts crying, leading SpongeBob to slap him. He enters the Krusty Krab and meets a fish named Phil. SpongeBob then opens his suitcase, takes out a pair of tweezers, and puts cheese on the Krabby Patty. The day is saved, and the crowd starts cheering for SpongeBob. Their cheers soon degenerate to the sound of SpongeBob's alarm clock, and he wakes up, revealing the opening scene to be a dream.
SpongeBob is extremely excited, as today is the grand opening of "The Krusty Krab 2," and he is going to be the new manager and prepares himself for the day. Patrick Star's rock lifts up, and Patrick congratulates SpongeBob says that to celebrate, they are going to go to "Goofy Goober's Ice Cream Party Boat." SpongeBob and Patrick sing the Goofy Goober theme song, and afterwards, SpongeBob goes off to the Krusty Krab. Plankton envies Mr. Krabs, and states he tried every plan in his cabinet from "A to Y". There are actually 26 letters of the alphabet, and Plankton does not notice it at first, but Karen, his computer wife, tells him. Plankton finds "Plan Z" in the back of the drawer. He thinks it is his best plan yet. He goes outside, only to be stepped on by SpongeBob. He pulls Plankton off his shoe, and asks him if he is going to the 'grand opening ceremony.' Plankton replies, "No, I am not going to the 'grand opening ceremony'! I'm busy planning to rule the world! Ha, ha, ha!" SpongeBob does not understand this, wishes Plankton luck, then runs off again, leaving Plankton to walk away saying, "Stupid kid." Meanwhile, Mr. Krabs is preparing the grand opening ceremony of the Krusty Krab 2, which is an exact replica of the original and is located directly next-door to it, the only difference being a giant glowing "2" sign. SpongeBob rushes up to the stage to accept his promotion, but Mr. Krabs announces that Squidward is the new manager instead, much to SpongeBob's shock. Mr. Krabs tells a heartbroken SpongeBob that he is too immature and childlike to handle the task, and SpongeBob sulks away, saying "I'm ready ... depression." Patrick suddenly flies by, naked, with a SpongeBob banner in his butt, and crashes into the set, causing a fire.
Later, Plankton flies towards King Neptune's castle, as part of "Plan Z." Inside, Neptune is attempting to punish his royal crown polisher for touching his crown, but his more intelligent daughter, Mindy, stops him. The brutish and tyrannical king tries to explain to his daughter that he must enforce his power as king in order to be respected, and that she will have to do the same when she is Queen. He begins to explain the importance of his crown, and as he talks, Plankton arrives and steals it. Neptune, who is "bald," is horrified to discover that his crown is missing, Plankton having stolen it.
Meanwhile, SpongeBob is at Goofy Goober Ice Cream Party Boat brooding over his loss. Patrick arrives thinking SpongeBob is the manager, but he was told the truth about being a kid SpongeBob starts to leave, but then Patrick gets a Triple Gooberberry Sunrise, and SpongeBob comes back. They begin to eat dozens of Surprises burying the waiter in ice cream continuously saying "waiter." The two become "drunk" from all the ice cream, and SpongeBob falls asleep in the restaurant, experiencing hangover-like symptoms the morning afterwards.
Meanwhile, Neptune arrives at the Krusty Krab after receiving evidence planted by Plankton of Mr. Krabs stealing his crown, which is a note, saying, "I stole your crown. Signed, Eugene Krabs." Krabs denies stealing the crown, but a message then plays on the phone of a man thanking Mr. Krabs for giving him the crown and saying that he sold it to Shell City. This call is actually from Plankton. Neptune gets frustrated and plans to burn Mr. Krabs. However, before doing that, Neptune asks if anyone has anything to say to defend Mr. Krabs, and a "drunken" SpongeBob arrives and bad-mouths Mr. Krabs for not giving him the manager job, saying, "I've worked for Mr. Krabs for many years, and always thought he was a great boss. I now realize that he's a great big jerk! I deserved that manager job, but you didn't give it to me because you said I'm a kid! Well, I am 100 percent man, and this man has something to say to you!” He blows a long raspberry and then finishes his statement, “There! I think I made my point!" Neptune burns Mr. Krabs, but Mr. Krabs plunges into a barrel filled with water. Upon realizing the severity of the situation, SpongeBob returns to his normal self and stops Neptune from killing him. Mindy convinces her father to give SpongeBob a chance to prove Mr. Krabs' innocence, and he and Patrick agree to travel to the dreaded Shell City, and return with the crown, and freezes Krabs right there until the crown is returned. Squidward panics, mostly over his paycheck not being signed. Originally SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward go on the trip, but the latter refuses and walked out of the Krusty Krab. Mindy, whom Patrick develops a crush on, gives SpongeBob and Patrick a magical bag of winds to return home with and warned about the trip.
With six days to retrieve the crown (there were originally ten until King Neptune and Patrick argued it down to six), SpongeBob and Patrick take the "Patty Wagon," a car shaped like a Krabby Patty. They soon reach a gas station located on the county line, where the hillbilly owners laugh at them, finding the duo and their vehicle stupid. They tell SpongeBob and Patrick that they would not last for ten seconds over the county line. When SpongeBob and Patrick cross the line, a thug immediately steals their car. SpongeBob and Patrick then realize that they lasted for twelve seconds, and begin laughing at the hillbillies, who are dumbfounded by their idiocy, as they continue on foot. Later, they find their car parked at the "Thug Tug," a bar for tough, muscular fish. SpongeBob has Patrick distract the thugs so he can get the key. (Unfortunately, Patrick just said, "I have to go to the bathroom," making SpongeBob unsuccessful, and getting his hands dirty in the process.) SpongeBob heads for the bathroom to wash his hands, and when he uses the soap dispenser, it produces bubbles. SpongeBob and Patrick begin having a "Bubble Party," but one bubble floats over to the leader of the "Thug Tug," who reminds the other bar patrons of the policy that all "Bubble Blowing Babies" will be severely beaten. The leader goes on a "Bubble Blowing Baby Hunt" by turning on the Goofy Goober Theme song, where the first person to start singing is determined to be the culprit. SpongeBob and Patrick struggle not to start singing, then the owner starts singing it to SpongeBob and Patrick, causing SpongeBob's eyes to water and Patrick to start melting, and they are only saved when Siamese Twins burst out in song. The other thugs begin beating them, allowing SpongeBob and Patrick to steal the key amid the confusion and depart.
By the following day, Plankton, with Mr. Krabs incapacitated, obtains the Krabby Patty Secret Formula, and begins serving Krabby Patties at the Chum Bucket. He stole the formula by sneaking by Mr. Krabs while he was frozen, going into his office, entering the safe code, and stealing the formula. Plankton starts selling Krabby Patties at the Chum Bucket, along with free bucket helmets. He has also learned about SpongeBob and Patrick are trying to get the crown back and hires a professional mercenary named Dennis to ensure that SpongeBob and Patrick do not reach Shell City. The next day, Squidward sees that everyone is wearing helmet buckets. After a woman tells him that Plankton is giving them away free with the Krabby Patties, he goes to confront Plankton. Squidward figures out that Plankton was the one who stole King Neptune's crown to get the Krabby Patty formula. He decides to report him to King Neptune, but before he leaves the Chum Bucket, Plankton activates a mind-control device, revealing that the bucket helmets are actually mind controlling helmets. Squidward tries to escape, but the enslaved citizens corner and capture him, taking down the last opposition to Plankton in Bikini Bottom and transforms the city into "Planktopolis." SpongeBob and Patrick are traveling through a field of skulls, laughing over their victory at the Thug Tug. They see an Ice Cream Stand, but when SpongeBob goes to order, the old woman running the stand is revealed as the tongue of a monstrous Frogfish using the Ice Cream Stand as bait. The Frogfish chases SpongeBob and Patrick, eventually driving off a cliff and getting out of the car just in time. The Frogfish is lured off the edge, and subsequently is eaten by an even larger beast, which is a gigantic sea serpent that appears from the trench. Unable to pass through a monster-filled trench, SpongeBob decides to give up and accepts the fact that he and Patrick are just children. However, Mindy arrives and shows them what has happened to Bikini Bottom while they were gone, and gives them fake mustaches in the form of seaweed, convincing them that they are now men. SpongeBob and Patrick pass through the trench without fear (singing, "Now That We're Men"), but meet up with Dennis on the other side. He rips off their fake mustaches and explains to them that they are not really men, and prepares to kill them by crushing them under his boot. However, before he can do so, a gigantic boot crushes Dennis, belonging to a monstrous scuba diver known as "The Cyclops," who abducts SpongeBob and Patrick to the surface.
SpongeBob and Patrick wake up in a goldfish bowl filled with freshwater and sedimentary pebbles. They see the Cyclops making "knick-knacks" from "dead" sea creatures, much to their horror, and are soon taken out of the bowl and put on a table under a heat lamp, and start to dry up. Soon, SpongeBob laments that they have failed, and that Bikini Bottom will remain under Plankton's mind control, Mr. Krabs will be executed, and they too will die. Patrick points out a sign reading "Shell City: Marine Gifts and Sundries." SpongeBob realizes that they are in Shell City, which is in fact a gift shop. They see the crown, and SpongeBob then realizes that they did at least make it to Shell City, and did pretty well for "a couple of goofballs." They both shed a tear and begin singing the Goofy Goober song, just as they shrivel up. The faces get smaller, Patrick's body shape gets round bevel edges and Spongebob's legs and arms roll up into the sleeves. "Goofy, Goofy, Goober, G--," they stop, then die and become real with their faces being faded away. Back in the movie theater, all the pirates mourn the loss of SpongeBob and Patrick, but a talking parrot points out that the movie is not over yet and they continue watching it. The "Tear of the Goofy Goober" slides down a wire into the power outlet, causing it to short-circuit and let out smoke, which rises up and activates the fire suppression sprinkler system, causing all the sea creatures to reanimate and the table with the lamp to cool off. As the water drips from the system, Spongebob and Patrick first get saturated colors and then they become cartoon again upon resurrection. As the sea creatures (which include a mariachi band playing a song from Mexico) beat up "The Cyclops," SpongeBob and Patrick grab the crown and carry it out to the beach. There, SpongeBob reads the manual of the Bag of Winds, and Patrick accidentally releases it, leaving them stranded on the beach. However, David Hasselhoff arrives and carries them across the ocean on his back.
On the way back home, the big boot belonging to the same diver that kidnapped them, rises up sea, and an angry Dennis emerges from below it, intent on finishing the job Plankton gave him and goes after Patrick and SpongeBob with his dagger in hand (much to Hasselhoff's discomfort). He corners SpongeBob, who attempts to reason with Dennis (by bribing him with five Goober dollars); Dennis is uninterested, so SpongeBob proceeded to more offers - including a bubble-blower that sends a stream of bubbles to Dennis's eyes, blinding him and making him even angrier. However, just as he is about to stomp on them with his boot, he ends up being knocked into the ocean by a floating sailboat. As the duo arrive over Bikini Bottom, King Neptune is about to execute Mr. Krabs, but is being "stalled" by Mindy, but Neptune just thinks so. Hasselhoff opens his pectoral muscles, prepares countdown, and shoots the duo down into Bikini Bottom at fast speed, where they crash through the roof of the Krusty Krab, the crown deflecting the trident blast that nearly kills Mr. Krabs, and ends up burning Hasselhoff. Unfortunately, that does not stop Plankton, as he dumps a King-sized Chum Bucket Helmet on Neptune, also putting him under his control. As Plankton's minions surround the heroes, SpongeBob realized that Plankton didn't care whether Krabs should be fried or not he just wanted the power of the seas under his control, having used the theft of the crown to lure Neptune into the trap, thus he cheated. Plankton doubts to him to cheating, and he states to him that he is an evil genius and SpongeBob is just a kid---a stupid kid. SpongeBob makes a speech about being who you are, before transforming into a wizard and breaking out into a bizarre rock version of the Goofy Goober theme song (based on the Twisted Sister's I Wanna Rock) using his electric guitar's laser beams to destroy all the brain-control buckets with.
Plankton is trampled before he can escape, and the cops put him in a little cage and take him away. Neptune reaches an understanding not only with Mr. Krabs, but also with his daughter, and thanks SpongeBob and Patrick. He then turns to leave, but Mindy reminds him about Mr. Krabs. He unfreezes Mr. Krabs, turning him into a fat little boy. Neptune then reveals that he had his trident set to "Real Boy Ending". He then turns Mr. Krabs into a crab again. Squidward suggests to SpongeBob that he has learned that he does not really need to be the manager of the Krusty Krab 2, but SpongeBob eagerly takes the position anyway. Images shown throughout the end credits shown the sole two differences between the job of manager and fry-cook is that there is a giant hat with the word manager imprinted on it and an extra cent in his paycheck. Nonetheless, SpongeBob takes on the role of manager of the Krusty Krab 2 with great pride, as the film signifies the conclusion of the franchise's story.
Back in the theater, the usher tells the pirates to leave the theater so she can clean up the mess they left.
- Tom Kenny as SpongeBob/Gary
- Mr. Lawrence as Plankton
- Jeffrey Tambor as King Neptune
- Scarlett Johansson as Princess Mindy
- Alec Baldwin as Dennis
- Bill Fagerbakke as Patrick Star
- Clancy Brown as Mr. Krabs
- Rodger Bumpass as Squidward Tentacles
- Jill Talley as Karen
- David Hasselhoff as himself
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [opening titles/treasure chest]
◦ SpongeBob SquarePants Theme Song - Derek Drymon, Stephen Hillenburg, Mark Harrison, Blaise Smith [pirates sing this]
‣ Maui Beach - Hans Haider ["Ah, the sea."]
‣ Bob Squad - Tom Rothrock [police outside the Krusty Krab]
‣ Love Elegy - Mike Sunderland [Phil whimpering]
‣ Bob Squad - Tom Rothrock [SpongeBob putting cheese on the Krabby Patty]
‣ Crime International - Graham De Wilde ["Three cheers for the manager!"]
‣ Marching to Honolulu - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob wakes up]
‣ Hawaiian March - The Waikikis [SpongeBob getting dressed]
◦ Goofy Goober Song - Eban Schletter, Stephen Hillenburg, Derek Drymon, Tim Hill, Kent Osborne, Paul Tibbitt, Aaron Springer [SpongeBob and Patrick dance to this]
‣ Non Stop - John Malcolm [news report about Krusty Krab 2]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz ["Curses! It's not fair!"]
• Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Z?!"]
‣ Sleazy Sax - Richard Myhill [Plankton looking at Plan Z]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz ["It's evil... it's diabolical... it's lemon-scented!"]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Stupid kid."]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [grand opening ceremony]
‣ Pua Paoakalani B - Kapono Beamer, Queen Lili'uokalani [SpongeBob upset that he didn't get the job]
‣ SpongeBob Theme - Jeremy Wakefield, Sage Guyton ["Hooray for SpongeBob!"]
• Steel Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["Hello? Where'd everybody go?"]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [later that evening...]
‣ Airs and Graces (a) - Paddy Kingsland [Neptune lectures Mindy about his crown]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [Plankton stole Neptune's crown]
‣ Camptown Races - Edwina Travis-Chin [at Goofy Goober's]
◦ Goofy Goober Song - Eban Schletter, Stephen Hillenburg, Derek Drymon, Tim Hill, Kent Osborne, Paul Tibbitt, Aaron Springer [kids sing along]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob crying]
‣ Piano Presto (a) - Ted Atking, Alian Feanch [SpongeBob and Patrick eating ice cream]
‣ Too Tired (a) - Hans Ehrlinger [SpongeBob drunk]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band ["Now pay attention, Squidward."]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [Neptune arrives]
‣ Too Tired (a) - Hans Ehrlinger [drunk SpongeBob arrives]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [Krabs on fire]
‣ So Tired - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [Neptune laughs]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz ["I have a crab to cook."]
‣ ? ["Come along, Mindy."]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [Mindy describing the road to Shell City]
‣ Happy Jose - Ulrich Hans Wenzel [elevator music]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [The Patty Wagon/Plankton steals the formula]
◦ Goofy Goober Song - Eban Schletter, Stephen Hillenburg, Derek Drymon, Tim Hill, Kent Osborne, Paul Tibbitt, Aaron Springer [SpongeBob and Patrick approach a gas station]
‣ Kentucky Banjo - Guy Fletcher, Rod Williams [hillbillies laugh]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz ["Shell City?!"]
‣ Kentucky Banjo - Guy Fletcher, Rod Williams [hillbillies laugh again]
‣ Curtain-Raiser - Alan Braden [Krabby Patties at the Chum Bucket]
‣ Emotion 2 - John Fox, Otto Sieben ["He confided in me a secret wish."]
‣ ? [free bucket helmets]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [Dennis introduced]
‣ Drowsy Reef - Jeremy Wakefield, Sage Guyton [SpongeBob and Patrick getting tired]
• You Better Swim - Motorhead [The Thug Tug]
‣ Can Can - Jacques Offenbach, George Wilson [bubble party]
◦ Goofy Goober Song - Eban Schletter, Stephen Hillenburg, Derek Drymon, Tim Hill, Kent Osborne, Paul Tibbitt, Aaron Springer [baby hunt]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick trying not to sing along]
‣ Song Dedicated to the Giant Squid of the World - The Snails [double-baby]
‣ ? [Squidward riding his bike]
‣ Killer Squad - Simon Benson, Eugenio Grandi ["Chum Bucket? Free? Krabby Patty?"]
‣ Party Time - Keith Mansfield [at the Chum Bucket]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [brain control devices/ice cream monster/Dennis blows a bubble]
‣ Can Can - Jacques Offenbach, George Wilson [SpongeBob and Patrick's faces appear in the bubble]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick still being chased]
• Steel Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick with dumbfounded looks]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [trench/SpongeBob says he's going home/Plankton taking over Bikini Bottom]
‣ Renaissance Dance - David Farnon [hair in a can]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz ["It doesn't matter if you're kids."]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob and Patrick crying]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [meanwhile...]
‣ Lonely Heart's Club (a) - David Bell, Otto Sieben [SpongeBob and Patrick still crying]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [mermaid magic]
‣ Lonely Heart's Club (a) - David Bell, Otto Sieben ["Did you hear that, Patrick?"]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [Mindy puts seaweed on their faces]
‣ ? [SpongeBob and Patrick scream as they fall]
◦ Now That We're Men - Will Schaefer, Stephen Hillenburg, Derek Drymon, Tim Hill, Kent Osborne, Paul Tibbitt, Aaron Springer [SpongeBob and Patrick sing as they go through the trench]
‣ Fight! Fight! Fight! (a) - Will Schaefer [background music to "Now That We're Men"]
‣ ? ["Finally. I got you right where I want you."]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [scuba diver kidnaps SpongeBob and Patrick]
• The Two Friends End - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick dries up on the board with an active lamp turned on]
‣ Build Up - Robert Sharples [SpongeBob and Patrick brought back to life]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [they try to take the crown]
‣ Jarabe Tapatio (a) - Gerhart Frei, Carlos Periguez [mariachi band]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [bag of winds]
‣ Stirred Not Shaken! A - Gregor F. Narholz [David Hasselhoff appears]
‣ ? [March 14]
‣ Stirred Not Shaken! A - Gregor F. Narholz ["Hooray for Hasselhoff!"]
‣ ? [Dennis returns]
‣ ? ["This is the best seat in the house."]
‣ Say it with a Smile (a) - Dick Stephen Walter [Mindy stalling]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [fight with Dennis]
‣ Say it with a Smile (a) - Dick Stephen Walter [Mindy still stalling]
‣ ? [Neptune orders her to wait outside]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [the Hasselhoff catapult]
‣ ? [king-size helmet]
‣ Here I Go Again - David Coverdale, Bernard Marsden [SpongeBob's speech]
◦ Goofy Goober Rock - Dee Snider, Derek Drymon, Tim Hill, Stephen Hillenburg, Kent Osborne, Aaron Springer, Paul Tibbitt [SpongeBob sings this]
‣ Just a Gigolo/I Ain't Got Nobody - David Lee Roth [SpongeBob scatting]
‣ I'll See You in Hawaii - The Diamond Head Beachcombers ["Well, Mindy, I have to admit you were right."]
‣ ? ["I think I know what it is."]
• Ocean Man - Ween [1st Closing Credits song]
• SpongeBob and Patrick Confront the Psychic Wall of Energy - The Flaming Lips [2nd Closing Credits song]
• Just a Kid - Wilco [3rd Closing Credits song]
◦ The Best Day Ever - Andy Paley, Tom Kenny [4th (Final) Closing Credits song]
As of August 2014, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 6.9/10 based on 264 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.6/10 based on 23 votes. Despite the huge success of this film, the failure of "Rugrats Go Wild!" (2003) and "Hey Arnold! The Movie" (2002) prevented anymore animated features from being made. This movie also received very positive reviews unlike previous Nickelodeon movies such as "Good Burger" (1997), "Clockstoppers" (2002), "Harriet the Spy" (1996), "The Rugrats Movie" (1998), "The Wild Thornberrys Movie" (2002), and "Rugrats in Paris The Movie" (2000) which received mixed to negative reviews.
- The movie is available on The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie DVD and Blu-ray release.
- It used to be available on VHS, but it isn't much anymore because in 2006 VHS was discontinued, so you can either get the tape from a thrift store such as Amazon or Ebay.
- November 19, 2004 (Canada)
- December 3, 2004 (Mexico)
- December 16, 2004 (Chile)
- December 23, 2004 (Switzerland and Germany)
- December 24, 2004 (Brazil)
- December 25, 2004 (Venezuela)
- January 1, 2005 (Colombia)
- January 6, 2005 (Argentina, Australia, and New Zealand)
- January 7, 2005 (Panama)
- January 13, 2005 (Peru)
- January 20, 2005 (Poland)
- January 28, 2005 (Spain)
- February 2, 2005 (Belgium)
- February 3, 2005 (Netherlands)
- February 9, 2005 (France)
- February 11, 2005 (UK and Ireland)
- February 16 , 2005 (UAE)
- February 18, 2005 (Norway)
- March 11, 2005 (Austria)
- March 16, 2005 (Kuwait)
- March 17, 2005 (Czech Republic, Austria, and Singapore)
- March 31, 2005 (Georgia (Middle East)
- April 6, 2005 (Philippines)
- April 8, 2005 (Iceland and South Africa)
- April 14, 2005 (Israel)
- April 16 , 2005 (Indonesia)
- May 13, 2005 (Turkey)
- June 10, 2005 (Denmark)
- June 26, 2005 (Sweden)
- July 8, 2005 (Finland)
- August 2, 2005 (Hungary)
- September 15, 2005 (Greece)
- September 23, 2005 (Italy)
- September 30, 2005 (South Korea)
- April 22, 2006 (Japan)
A video game based on the film was released for PlayStation 2, PC, Game Boy Advance, Xbox, and GameCube on October 27, 2004. The home-console version was developed by Heavy Iron Studios, the Game Boy Advance version was developed by WayForward Technologies and was published by THQ.
- There are more bubbles in the film than a regular SpongeBob episode. For instance, whenever the characters move or pull something bubbles appear.
- After the movie was made, Nickelodeon released a special issue of Nickelodeon Magazine about this film. It included interviews with the cast Tom Kenny, Scarlett Johansson, Mr. Lawrence, Jeffery Tambor, Bill Fagerbakke, Clancy Brown, Rodger Bumpass, and David Hasselhoff, an article about SpongeBob's origin, Patrick recounting his journey to Shell City, and a comic about Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy trying to stop Plankton during the events of the movie.
- Some footage from the opening scene appears in the second movie's trailer.
- Ironically, SpongeBob, Patrick, and the sea creatures breathe air in the movie. In the episode "Pressure," SpongeBob, Patrick, Mr. Krabs, and Squidward went on dry land and were changed to real life props for the show. However, in Sandy's treedome, they need water helmets. They took off their helmets in her treedome in "Survival of the Idiots " because the snow was made of water. However, when spring arrives, they are seen without the helmets and trying to escape because they ripped her fur off with tape to keep themselves warm.
- SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward, Mr. Krabs, and Plankton are the only characters from the show to have large roles in this movie. The other characters have cameos.
- Hasselhoff may be a human cyborg in this movie, because he swam to the island above Bikini Bottom without moving his arms and legs (he's only seen moving his arms and legs when he's leaving the shoreline of the beach), and his pecks moved for him to place SpongeBob, Patrick, and the crown in the middle to launch them back to Bikini Bottom as a fast way of getting down there on time.
- In the book Ice Cream Dreams, it says the grand opening for the Krusty Krab 2 is March 3. However, in the movie, the grand opening is March 7.
- Additionally, the book Bubble Blowers Beware! changes the rule of the Thug Tug into being laughed at if they blow bubbles, rather than being beaten.
- While Seasons 1, 2 and 3 were highly praised, the film only received slightly positive reception, although the audience loved it.
- The teaser trailer for the movie was aired during the 2004 Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards.
- In the final fight, SpongeBob isn't seen destroying the control aerial on the Chum Bucket controlling the citizens and is only seen destroying the bucket helmets. However, when Plankton goes to jail and every one is celebrating (even King Neptune), it would have been possible that the control aerial had been destroyed by SpongeBob's guitar.
- The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie website now redirects to http://spongebob.nick.com/.
- In this movie, SpongeBob's voice is changed to a higher pitch for unknown reason but it might be how old Tom Kenny is getting or the creators wanted his voice to be higher.
- When Mr. Krabs presents Squidward to be manager, he calls Squidward "loyal" and "hardworking" even though in lots of episodes, he disrespects Mr. Krabs and the customers. He is also not hardworking because he sleeps a lot on the job and often plans ways to stay home on work days. SpongeBob is more loyal and hardworking than Squidward and, in fact, deserved the spot more.
- Stephen Hillenburg confirmed that the movie takes place after the TV series. This actually makes sense, because in all of the episodes after the movie (including the second film), SpongeBob wasn't the manager, Plankton was still at the Chum Bucket and there was only one Krusty Krab.
- The song "The Best Day Ever," heard during the end credits and in the movie's soundtrack (From Shire Records and Warner Bros. Records,) would later be used in the episode "Best Day Ever," but shortened.
- A scene where SpongeBob and Patrick, after escaping from Shell City, encounter Sandy on the surface, who here has the appearance of a real-life squirrel, was planned for the film but was cut for time. The animatic for the scene is included as a deleted scene on the DVD. This was removed due to Patrick barfing a lot.
- The scene where SpongeBob and Patrick have their mouths wide open became popular on YouTube and a popular online meme.
- In other countries such as the Philippines, this movie is rated G. That is because their rating systems think that toilet humor can be suitable for all.
- The season one episode "Neptune's Spatula," features a completely different King Neptune. This version of Neptune also appeared, in "SpongeBob vs. the Patty Gadget" and "The Clash of Triton." Although in "Krusty Towers," Squidward mentions King Neptune XIV, possibly meaning that there are multiple King Neptune's which could explain this inconsistency. Or seeings how the movie takes place after the TV show, it is also possible that King Neptune went bald and otherwise changed appearance between the show and movie.
- When King Neptune is fed up with being stalled from the execution, he tells Mindy to go wait outside, then places a lock on the door. After SpongeBob and Patrick arrive, the lock disappears.
- In a deleted scene, during SpongeBob's awakening in "Goofy Goober's Ice Cream Party Boat", he asks for a "double fudge spiny." This rejected line was used in a storybook based on this movie released during the time, called Ice Cream Dreams.
- This movie marks the only appearances of Mindy and Dennis.
- The movie was dedicated in memory of Jules Engel (1909–2003). In September 2003 (during production), Jule Engel (Hillenburg's mentor when he studied experimental animation at the California Institute of the Arts) died. Hillenburg dedicated the film to him: "He truly was the most influential artistic person in my life. I consider him my 'Art Dad'."
- The teaser trailer uses footage from submarine films, Das Boot (1981), The Hunt for Red October (1990), and U-571 (2000).
- Elmer's Glue (a real-life glue item) made a product placement in this movie when the Cyclops was making a shell and when a lobster was shooting it to him at the Shell City Gift Shop.
- This is the second time Mrs. Puff and Sandy interact (even though this isn't an episode). The first was "Party Pooper Pants."
- This is the only time that Plankton succeeds in stealing the formula.
- Perch Perkins is seen in purple instead of blond.
- SpongeBob says that Patrick was wearing the same 'Goofy Goober' underwear for 3 years straight but at the start of the movie when Patrick was seen he didn't have any underwear.
- When Mr. Krabs was being interviewed his pants are purple and didn't change to blue until the end of the movie.
- This is the fourth time SpongeBob loses his arm(s). The first time was "I was a Teenage Gary, The second time was "Big Pink Loser," The third time was "Graveyard Shift," The fifth and sixth time was "Sing a Song of Patrick" and the seventh time was "SpongeHenge."
- This movie is a movie inside a movie, because the Pirates are watching the SpongeBob movie in an actual theater.
- The song, Ocean Man by Ween was played in the end credits during this movie.
- The Paramount Pictures (Closing) logo appeared after the post-credit scene fades to blank. In the original theatrical release of this movie, the MPAA PG screen is shown after the logo fades to blank.
- The Goofy Goober underwear that Patrick wears appears again in "Born to Be Wild."
- This movie reveals that by March of 2031, SpongeBob learns how to drive a stick shift vehicle.
- During the 1st half of the closing credits to this movie, SpongeBob's Krusty Krab hat appears to be bigger than normal, and it vertically reads "MANAGER."
- In the movie, Plankton is more evil and depraved than he was in the series. While in the series, he was comical and in post-movie episodes, became less evil (while Mr. Krabs has gotten more greedy and evil), but in the movie, he stole King Neptune's crown, frames Mr. Krabs for it, enslaves Bikini Bottom, shows excitement and joy when Mr. Krabs is going to be executed and sends Dennis to kill SpongeBob and Patrick rather than merely get rid of them.
- A sequel to this movie was announced on February 28, 2012 and was released on February 6, 2015.
- In this movie, both Patrick and SpongeBob are deemed "kids." However, it has been confirmed that they both actually are adults, despite their childish behavior. This could be that due to the fact that they have such a childlike behavior that everybody thinks they are kids or "kid" could just be a metaphor.
- Both SpongeBob and Patrick think they're really a man which they think the mustache was the sign being a man and they were fooled by Princess Mindy. In addition, both of them are already adults (man).
- SpongeBob tells Squidward that his fly is down even though Squidward doesn't wear pants.
- When Patrick and King Neptune argue about how many days they should get for their journey, it is a lot like Patrick and the Flying Dutchman arguing about how many wishes SpongeBob and Patrick should get in "Shanghaied."
- The Movie is mentioned in the movie Piranha 3DD by David Hasselhoff.
- This isn't in high definition when it is shown on Nickelodeon for unknown reasons, despite it being HD on other channels.
- The movie foreshadows about goofy goobers, when it shows a toy of The Goofy Goober Peanut.
- This movie has a unique animation style (for everyone) in that the characters have distorted looking looks and bodies, and color scheme (for the fish). It will be used again the second film (in Bikini Bottom).
- The DVD and Blu-Ray versions of this movie was re-released on December 30, 2014.
- SpongeBob is seen driving the Krabby Patty Mobile well. It can be implied that his skills as a driver improve by 2031.
- The pufferfish in Shell City may be a reference to the episode "Krusty Love," in which Mrs. Puff's husband's horrible fate was being turned into a pufferfish lamp.
- Plankton says that Plan Z is "evil, diabolical, and lemon-scented". This could possibly be a reference to Every Villain is Lemons from Adventures of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy.
- When The Adventures of Tintin aired on Nickelodeon on October 14, 2014, it shows the 1st seconds of the Paramount logo from that movie, before cutting To the Normal movie, instead of Tintin.
- The movie contains references to the epic Greek poem "The Odyssey" by Homer, specifically the Bag Of Winds and "The Cyclops" (undersea diver).
- The song "Goofy Goober Rock" is a parody of the song "I Wanna Rock," performed by Twisted Sister.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick were in the Nut Bar there was a picture of Popeye, along with some panels from his comic strip series, and what appears to be a panel from another comic strip series Muttz.
- When Cyclops is making a knick-knack out of a clam, he names it "Alexader Clam Bell" which is a parody of Alexander Graham Bell with a telephone replica attached. Alexander Graham Bell was the inventor of the telephone.
- After SpongeBob hops from David's right leg to his left Dennis says: "You got guts kid!" This could a reference to an old Nickelodeon game show called: "Nickelodeon Guts," in which three competetors would go through a series of obstical courses, and in the end the host would say, "These kids got guts!"
- When SpongeBob and Patrick burp after eating the ice cream, it sounds exactly like the burp of Barney Gumble from FOX's animated TV series "The Simpsons."
- The scene where Squidward gets hired as the Krusty Krab 2 new manager and SpongeBob thinks that he did is similar and might be a reference to a scene from the beginning of the 2001 Paramount Pictures/Village Roadshow Pictures/VH1 Films movie Zoolander where Hansel gets an award and Derek thinks that he did.
- Nickelodeon's animated TV series "Breadwinners" had an episode called "Employee of the Month" with a speech similar to what Mr Krabs gave in this movie
- King Neptune, who made his first appearance in "Neptune's Spatula," and his daughter, Mindy, who made her debut appearance in this movie, might be a spoof of King Triton and Ariel from The Little Mermaid.
- Mr. Krabs says near the end of the Movie "I'm going to do something that I should have done 6 days ago." He means 7 because it was the day after when SpongeBob got the 6-day challenge to get the crown.
- When King Neptune first sets Mr. Krabs on fire, the clothes on Mr. Krabs completely burns away. However, as soon Mr. Krabs jumps in a bucket of water to put the fire out, his clothes suddenly reappear. He wears it before shooting this shot.
- When Patrick and SpongeBob are at Gooby Goober's, Patrick never orders a meal, but he is given one.
- It's possible that he pre-ordered it on the phone or came around earlier and told them.
- SpongeBob had his shoes on while he put his pants on, but in the scene before that, he was only wearing his socks.
- The size of the crown changes through most of the movie. When Plankton is carrying it, he is as big as the tip. When SpongeBob attempts to lift it, it looks gigantic compared to him.
- When there's a close-up of the Patty Mobile's pickle-like wheels, they are bumpy. However in the next scene, they are regular wheels instead.
- When SpongeBob smears Plankton on the ground, Plankton's smear appears, but after SpongeBob picks up Plankton, the green smear disappears.
- When Mindy talks to King Neptune, she has her golden band, however the next scene her golden band disappears.
- During the scene where SpongeBob and Patrick are eating lots of the Triple Gooberberry Sunrises, there are the glass bowls the ice cream came in lying around the bench, but no spoons. The spoons have miraculously disappeared.
- While King Neptune was screaming, the rest of his hair turns into 3 strings of hair.
- Even in Bikini Bottom, kids would not be left alone in a restaurant, that is outside of town, at night.
- When Mr. Krabs is frozen, his position in the restaurant changes through most of the movie.
- Even from the distance Mindy was, she should have seen Patrick's underwear.
- Before the execution, Karen is not there, but after SpongeBob and Patrick get to the Krusty Krab 2, she is.
- When Patrick puts the patty wagon on full throttle, the flag disappears. Although it's possible it fell off because of how fast Patrick was going.
- This movie is one of the few times where Gary speaks. He says "Meow, Plankton."
- The sign that says that Shell City is only 5 days away says by car, even though the type of vehicle in the ocean are boats.
- When Plankton was looking through his binoculars, there were 2 eyes, with 2 pupils. This would not be possible, as Plankton has only 1 eye.
- In Columbia, this movie was released on Doug Lawrence's 36th birthday.
- On February 28, 2012, Paramount Pictures announced a sequel to The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie. It is officially titled The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water. The film was released on February 6, 2015, over ten years after the first movie's release.
- This movie was the first non-Rugrats movie to have a sequel from Nickelodeon Movies.
- After the movie came out, and the SpongeBob crew carried on with the TV show, viewings, and ratings went extremely downhill. This is mostly because of new writers and different ideas which caused a lot of episodes to be less funny than the early pre-movie episodes.
The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie on Wikipedia