The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie is a film based on Nickelodeon's hit TV show SpongeBob SquarePants. In this movie, SpongeBob and Patrick set off for Shell City to retrieve King Neptune's crown in order to stop Plankton from taking over Bikini Bottom.
The movie was released in theaters in the United States on November 19, 2004, by Paramount Pictures. The movie was first aired on TV on November 10, 2006, during the Best Day Ever marathon. It was distributed in Switzerland, Spain, and the Netherlands by Universal Pictures. On March 29, 2011, Paramount released the movie on Blu-ray. On December 30, 2014, Paramount re-released the movie on Blu-ray.
- 1 Characters
- 2 Plot
- 3 Cast
- 4 Production
- 5 Reception
- 6 Video game
- 7 Sequels
- 8 Trivia
- 9 Merchandise
- 10 Videos
- 11 References
- The Pirates (debut)
- Squinty the Pirate
- Bonesy the Pirate
- Scruffy the Pirate
- Stitches the Pirate
- Captain Bart the Pirate
- Inky the Pirate
- Tiny the Pirate
- Upper Deck the Pirate
- Fingers the Pirate
- Tangles the Pirate
- Gummy the Pirate
- Leatherbeard the Pirate
- Tango the Pirate
- Pokey the Pirate
- Cookie the Pirate
- Martin the Pirate
- Sniffy the Pirate
- Salty the Pirate
- Stovepipe the Pirate
- Dooby the Pirate
- The Parrot
- Concessions guys
- Other audience members
- French Narrator
- Dream Incidental 118
- Dream Officer Slugfish
- Dream Officer Nancy O'Malley
- Dream Incidental 73
- Dream Incidental 92
- Dream Incidental 152
- Dream Incidental 153
- Dream Incidental 12
- Dream Incidental 64
- Dream Incidental 8
- Dream Incidental 47
- Dream Incidental 103
- Dream Incidental 13
- Dream Incidental 67
- Dream Incidental 106
- Dream Incidental 41
- Dream Incidental 108
- Dream Incidental 37B
- Dream Incidental 6
- Dream Mr. Krabs
- Dream Incidental 107
- Dream Scooter
- Dream Incidental 42
- Dream Incidental 36
- Dream Incidental 14
- Dream Incidental 69
- Dream Incidental 5
- Dream Incidental 23
- Dream Incidental 31
- Dream Incidental 104
- Dream Old Man Walker
- Dream Incidental 65
- Dream Sandals
- Dream Fred
- Dream Incidental 47
- Dream Incidental 155
- Dream Incidental 48
- Dream Anchovies
- Dream SpongeBob
- Dream Incidental 63
- Dream Incidental 25
- Dream Incidental 40
- Dream Incidental 17
- Dream Incidental 7
- Dream Incidental 46
- Dream Incidental 105
- Phil's wife (mentioned)
- Phil's children (mentioned)
- Dream Incidental 27
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Gary the Snail
- Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy (cameo on a poster)
- Back to the Past Mermaid Man (a.k.a Young Mermaid Man) (cameo on magazine by Spongebob's bed)
- Squidward Tentacles
- Patrick Star
- Perch Perkins (debut)
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 69
- Incidental 47
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 67
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 42
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Incidental 22
- Incidental 16
- Incidental 9
- Incidental 4
- Incidental 106
- Incidental 28
- Incidental 107
- Incidental 73
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 23
- Incidental 105 (looks a bit different)
- Incidental 46
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Karen Plankton
- Incidental 2
- Incidental 45
- Sandy Cheeks
- Mrs. Puff
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 20
- Incidental 65
- Pearl Krabs
- Incidental 84
- Incidental 104
- Old Man Walker
- King Neptune's watch-guards (debut)
- King Neptune's guards (debut)
- Other royals
- Squire (debut)
- King Neptune
- Princess Mindy (debut)
- Royal crown polisher (debut)
- Goofy Goober clock (debut)
- Walter the Waiter (debut)
- Other Goofy Goober customers
- Goofy Goober organist (debut)
- Goofy Goober (debut)
- Popeye and other old cartoon characters (seen on the back wall of the Nut Bar)
- Carriage seahorses
- Clay (possibly Plankton's voice in disguise)
- Floyd and Lloyd (debut)
- Boat Jacker (debut)
- Incidental 93
- Dennis (debut)
- General patrons of the Thug Tug (debut)
- Victor (debut)
- DJ (debut)
- Twins (debut)
- Larry the Lobster (cameo)
- Frogfish/Mr. Whiskers/Ice cream lady (debut)
- Giant eel (debut)
- Trench monsters (debut)
- Maximus (debut)
- Cyclops (debut)
- "Alexander Clam Bell" (debut)
- Starfish (debut)
- Unnamed pufferfish (debut)
- Crabs (debut)
- Mariachi band (debut)
- Octopuses (debut)
- David Hasselhoff (debut)
- Fisherman (debut)
- Person on the floating sailboat
- Alien (debut)
- Living toys (debut)
- Brown tall fish
- Jelly Stinger
The movie opens up by showing a group of pirates getting tickets to watch The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie from a treasure chest. The pirates then sing the "SpongeBob SquarePants Theme Song," then they enter a movie theater, raid it, and sit down to watch the movie.
The movie then shifts to an emergency at the Krusty Krab, complete with police helicopters, large crowds, and news reporters. Suddenly, SpongeBob SquarePants, "the manager," arrives in a sports car. Mr. Krabs says that it started with a simple order, a Krabby Patty with cheese. But when the customer took a bite, no cheese was present on the burger. SpongeBob enters the Krusty Krab and meets a fish named Phil. SpongeBob then opens his suitcase, takes out a pair of tweezers, and dramatically puts cheese on the Krabby Patty. The day is saved and the crowd starts cheering for SpongeBob. Their cheers soon degenerate to the sound of SpongeBob's alarm clock, and he wakes up, revealing the opening scene to be a dream.
SpongeBob is extremely excited, as today is the grand opening of the "Krusty Krab 2," and he is confident he will be chosen as the new manager and prepares himself for the day. Patrick Star's rock lifts up, and Patrick congratulates SpongeBob, saying that to celebrate, they are going to go to Goofy Goober's Ice Cream Party Boat tonight. SpongeBob and Patrick sing the "Goofy Goober Song," and afterwards, SpongeBob goes off to the Krusty Krab.
Plankton envies Mr. Krabs and states he tried every plan in his cabinet from "A to Y." There are actually 26 letters of the alphabet, and Plankton does not notice it at first, but Karen, his computer wife, tells him. Plankton finds "Plan Z" in the back of the drawer. He thinks it is his best plan yet. He goes outside to announce his revenge, only to be stepped on by SpongeBob, who pulls Plankton off his shoe and asks him if he is going to the grand opening ceremony. Plankton replies that he is instead planning on ruling the world.
Meanwhile, Mr. Krabs is preparing the grand opening ceremony of the Krusty Krab 2, which is an exact replica of the original Krusty Krab and is located directly next door to it. SpongeBob rushes up to the stage to accept his promotion and highly anticipates that he will win the promotion, but Mr. Krabs announces that Squidward is the new manager instead, much to SpongeBob's shock. Mr. Krabs tells a heartbroken SpongeBob that he is too childish to handle the task, and SpongeBob sulks away in depression.
Later, Plankton flies towards King Neptune's castle, as part of "Plan Z." Inside, King Neptune is attempting to punish his royal crown polisher for touching his crown, but his more intelligent daughter, Princess Mindy, stops him and tries to tell him to show a little love and compassion to his subjects instead of making them suffer these harsh punishments. The hot-tempered and tyrannical king tries to explain to his daughter by showing her the crown and its importance. During his speech, Plankton arrives on the scene and steals his crown. Neptune, who is "bald," is horrified to discover that his crown is missing. As he screams in horror upon his royal crown being stolen, Plankton flies off to Shell City, having stolen the crown thanks to Plan Z.
Meanwhile, SpongeBob is at Goofy Goober's Ice Cream Party Boat brooding over his loss. Patrick arrives, thinking SpongeBob is the manager. He is then told the truth about SpongeBob about being a kid, and SpongeBob starts to leave after that, but then Patrick orders a Triple Gooberberry Sunrise, and SpongeBob comes back in interest, lightening up the mood a bit. They begin to eat dozens of sundaes, burying the waiter in ice cream, continuously demanding the waiter's attention. The two soon become "drunk" from all the ice cream and pass out in the restaurant overnight, experiencing hangover-like symptoms the following morning.
Meanwhile, Neptune arrives at the Krusty Krab after receiving evidence planted by Plankton of Mr. Krabs stealing his crown, which is a note. Neptune threatens Krabs by telling him to relinquish the crown to him at once by unleashing his magic trident at him, vowing to execute the crustacean. Krabs, however, denies stealing the crown, but then a message plays on the phone of a man thanking Mr. Krabs for giving him the crown and saying that he sold it to Shell City (This call is actually from Plankton). Upon hearing his crown is in the forbidden Shell City, Neptune gets frustrated and plans to burn Mr. Krabs. However, before doing that, Neptune asks if anyone has anything to say to defend Mr. Krabs. A "drunken" SpongeBob arrives and bad-mouths his boss for not promoting him to manager, attempting to proclaim a level of maturity suited for the position.
After SpongeBob's rant finishes, Neptune burns Mr. Krabs by shooting fire at him, causing him to bounce and run around the restaurant on fire, before plunging into a barrel filled with water. Upon realizing the severity of the situation, SpongeBob returns to his normal self and stops the vengeful merman from burning Krabs by telling him it is rather harsh to kill someone over a crown. Neptune tells SpongeBob that his crown is a symbol of his authority and shows him his bald spot, which is extremely shiny to the point where it horrifies everyone upon seeing it, before Neptune puts the bag back on his head. SpongeBob tells Neptune to let him go to Shell City and get the crown back. Neptune laughs at this offer, then he disagrees with SpongeBob because he is just a kid, and he tells him no one has dared to go to Shell City before. Thus, Neptune proceeds to fry Mr. Krabs, but SpongeBob gets in the way and defends his boss so as to prevent the execution. Neptune then decides to fry them both instead, but Mindy arrives and convinces her father to give SpongeBob a chance to prove Mr. Krabs' innocence.
Neptune threateningly orders SpongeBob to be back with his crown in six days. SpongeBob and Patrick agree to travel to the dreaded Shell City and return with the crown by then. Neptune freezes Mr. Krabs for the time being until the crown is returned, and threatens to kill him if SpongeBob does not return. Mindy, whom Patrick develops a crush on, gives SpongeBob and Patrick a magical bag of winds to return home with and warns the pair about the trip.
With six days to retrieve the crown, SpongeBob and Patrick take the "Patty Wagon," a car shaped like a Krabby Patty. They soon reach a gas station located on the county line, where the hillbilly owners laugh at them, finding the duo and their vehicle stupid. They tell SpongeBob and Patrick that they would not last for ten seconds over the county line. When SpongeBob and Patrick cross the line, a thug immediately steals their car. SpongeBob and Patrick then realize that they lasted for twelve seconds, and begin laughing at the hillbillies, who are dumbfounded by their idiocy, as they continue on foot.
Later, they find their car parked at the Thug Tug, a bar for tough, muscular fish. SpongeBob has Patrick distract the thugs so he can get the key. Unfortunately, Patrick just announces that he has to use the bathroom, making SpongeBob unsuccessful. SpongeBob heads for the bathroom and criticizes Patrick for this, as the latter realizes his mistake. SpongeBob then washes his hands, and when he uses the soap dispenser, it produces bubbles. SpongeBob and Patrick begin having a "bubble party," but one bubble floats over to the leader of the Thug Tug, who reminds the other bar patrons of the policy that all "Bubble Blowing Babies" will be severely beaten. The leader goes on a "Bubble Blowing Baby Hunt" by turning on the Goofy Goober theme song, where the first person to start singing is determined to be the culprit. SpongeBob and Patrick struggle not to start singing, then the owner notices their strain and starts singing it to SpongeBob and Patrick in a mocking tone to intimidate them. Just as they are about to sing, they are saved when two Siamese twins burst out in song. The other thugs begin beating them, allowing SpongeBob and Patrick to retrieve the key amid the confusion and depart.
By the following day, Plankton, with Mr. Krabs incapacitated, successfully obtains the Krabby Patty secret formula and begins serving Krabby Patties at the Chum Bucket. Plankton starts selling Krabby Patties at the Chum Bucket, along with free bucket helmets. He has also learned that SpongeBob and Patrick are trying to get the crown back and hires a professional mercenary named Dennis to ensure that they do not reach Shell City and get killed on their journey. The next day, Squidward sees that everyone is wearing bucket helmets. As he goes to confront him, Squidward figures out that Plankton was the one who stole King Neptune's crown to get the Krabby Patty formula. He decides to report him to King Neptune, but before he leaves the Chum Bucket, Plankton activates a mind-control device, revealing that the bucket helmets are actually mind-controlling helmets. Squidward tries to escape, but the enslaved citizens corner and capture him, taking down the last opposition to Plankton in Bikini Bottom as he transforms the city into "Planktopolis."
SpongeBob and Patrick are traveling through a field of skulls, laughing over their victory at the Thug Tug. They see an ice cream stand, but when SpongeBob goes to order, the old woman running the stand is revealed as the tongue of a monstrous frogfish using the ice cream stand as bait. The Frogfish chases the scared fleeing duo, eventually driving off a cliff and getting out of the car just in time. The frogfish is lured off the edge and subsequently eaten by an even larger beast, which is a gigantic sea serpent that appears from the trench.
Unable to pass through a monster-filled trench, SpongeBob decides to give up and accepts the fact that he and Patrick are just kids. However, Mindy, who was exiled from Bikini Bottom by Plankton, arrives and shows them what has happened to Bikini Bottom while they were gone and gives them fake mustaches in the form of seaweed, convincing them that they are now men. SpongeBob and Patrick pass through the trench without fear while singing "Now That We're Men," but meet up with Dennis on the other side. He rips off their fake mustaches and explains to them that they are not really men, and prepares to kill them by crushing them under his spiky boot. However, before he can do so, a even bigger boot crushes Dennis, belonging to a monstrous scuba diver known as the "Cyclops," who abducts SpongeBob and Patrick to the surface.
SpongeBob and Patrick wake up in a goldfish bowl filled with fresh water and sedimentary pebbles. They see the Cyclops making "knick-knacks" from "dead" sea creatures, much to their horror, and are soon taken out of the bowl and put on a table under a heat lamp, and start to dry up. Soon, SpongeBob laments that they have failed and that Bikini Bottom will remain under Plankton's mind control, Mr. Krabs will be executed, and they too will die. Patrick points out a sign reading "Shell City: Marine Gifts and Sundries." SpongeBob realizes that they are in Shell City, which is, in fact, a gift shop. They see the crown, and SpongeBob then realizes that they did at least make it to Shell City. They both shed a tear of joy and begin singing the Goofy Goober song, just as they shrivel up: their faces become smaller, Patrick's body shape gets round bevel edges, and SpongeBob's arms and legs roll up into his sleeves. As they sing the last verse of the song, their faces vanish from their bodies as they become the real-life equivalents of their species, indicating that they have both died. Back in the movie theater, all the pirates mourn the loss of SpongeBob and Patrick, but a talking parrot points out that the movie is not over yet, and they continue watching it.
The tear of the Goofy Goobers slides down a wire into the power outlet, causing it to short-circuit and let out smoke, which rises up and activates the fire suppression sprinkler system, causing all the sea creatures to reanimate and the table with the lamp to cool off. As the water drips from the system, SpongeBob and Patrick first get saturated colors, and then they become animated again upon revival, which makes the whole audience in the theater cheer. As the movie continues with the sea creatures beating up the Cyclops in retaliation for killing them, SpongeBob and Patrick grab the crown and carry it out to the beach. There, SpongeBob reads the manual of the magical bag of winds, and accidentally releases it, leaving them stranded on the beach. However, David Hasselhoff arrives and carries them across the ocean on his back.
On the way back home, SpongeBob and Patrick see the big boot belonging to the same diver that kidnapped them and who squished Dennis, rise up the sea, and an angry Dennis emerges from below it, intent on finishing the job Plankton gave him, and goes after Patrick and SpongeBob with his dagger in hand. SpongeBob begs Patrick to run, but he refuse and tries to stop the cowboy, but only gets slapped all the way to the left foot. SpongeBob runs after him and he's losing his balance on the right leg. When Dennis was going to cream him, the yellow sponge makes a long jump to the other side. Dennis came to the left leg offscreen and corners SpongeBob, who attempts to reason with Dennis by bribing him with five Goober dollars; Dennis is uninterested, so SpongeBob proceeds to more offers - including a bubble-blower that sends a stream of bubbles into Dennis' eyes, blinding and irritating him and making him even more angry. He tosses SpongeBob away in pain and Patrick managed to save him. However, just as he is about to stomp on them with his boot, he ends up being knocked into the ocean by a floating sailboat. Patrick awkwardly bid farewell to his defeat.
As the duo arrives over Bikini Bottom on March 14th, King Neptune is about to execute Mr. Krabs, but is being "stalled" by Mindy, driving him crazy; he angrily locks his daughter out of the restaurant by frightening her outside with his anger and putting a giant lock on the door. Meanwhile, Hasselhoff opens his pectoral muscles, prepares countdown, and shoots the duo down into Bikini Bottom at a fast speed, where they crash through the roof of the Krusty Krab 2, the crown deflecting the fiery blast from Neptune's magic trident that nearly kills Mr. Krabs, and gets launched up the surface, burning Hasselhoff. Neptune is happily reunited with his crown and Mindy congratulates SpongeBob and Patrick for their heroism, but unfortunately, that does not stop Plankton, as he dumps a king-sized Chum Bucket helmet on Neptune, also putting him under his control.
As Plankton's minions surround the heroes, SpongeBob realizes that Plankton did not care whether Krabs should be fried or not; he just wanted the power of the seas under his control, having used the theft of the crown to lure Neptune into the trap, thus SpongeBob thinks that Plankton cheated. He states to SpongeBob that he, actually, is an evil genius, and SpongeBob is just a stupid kid. When he discovers that Plankton is right, SpongeBob makes a speech about being oneself and how he did things others doubted him on in his journey. He then transforms into a wizard and breaks out into a bizarre rock version of the Goofy Goober theme song. Seeing his moves, Plankton yells for his minions to seize SpongeBob, but the latter uses his electric guitar's laser beams to destroy all the brain-control buckets. Plankton yells at Karen to do something, but she is too lured by the rock-and-roll to listen.
Irritated, Plankton tries to command King Neptune to stop SpongeBob, but the latter quickly destroys Neptune's helmet before he can finish speaking. Out of options, Plankton tries to escape, but is trampled before he can do so. After being stepped on by the fish, he gets arrested for the crimes of brainwashing the Bikini Bottom citizens, scapegoating Mr. Krabs, and also for stealing King Neptune's crown, and the cops put him in a small cage and take him away as he yells of vengeance. Neptune reaches an understanding not only with Mr. Krabs, but also with his daughter Mindy by finally winning her respect by becoming a better ruler thanks to her love and compassion for the sea creatures, and he thanks SpongeBob and Patrick for their heroism. He then turns to leave, but Mindy reminds him of Mr. Krabs. He then turns Mr. Krabs back to normal and apologizes to him for falsely accusing him of the crown theft, and Mr. Krabs also apologizes to SpongeBob for doubting him.
As SpongeBob attempts to deliver a heartfelt speech of realization, he does not know how to put it into words. Squidward has him covered and suggests to SpongeBob that he has learned that he does not really want to be the manager of the Krusty Krab 2, but SpongeBob eagerly takes the position after his speech, denying the moral and saying that he was just going to inform Squidward that his fly was down. As he swipes the manager name tag from Squidward's hands, SpongeBob ends the movie by jumping in midair in a cheerful state exclaiming that this is the best day of his life.
Images shown throughout the end credits show the sole two differences between the job of manager and fry-cook: There is a giant hat with the word "manager" imprinted on it and an extra cent in SpongeBob's paycheck. Nonetheless, SpongeBob takes on the role of manager of the Krusty Krab 2 with great pride, as the film signifies the conclusion of the franchise's story.
In a post-credits scene, the usher tells the pirates to leave the theater so she can clean up the mess they made while the movie draws to a close.
- SpongeBob being called a "kid."
- The Goofy Goober Song being sung.
- King Neptune being called "bald."
- Plankton looking at his arms when someone says his arms are stubby.
- Tom Kenny as SpongeBob SquarePants
- Clancy Brown as Eugene H. Krabs
- Rodger Bumpass as Squidward Tentacles
- Bill Fagerbakke as Patrick Star
- Doug Lawrence as Sheldon J. Plankton
- Jill Talley as Karen Plankton
- Carolyn Lawrence as Sandy Cheeks
- Mary Jo Catlett as Mrs. Puff
- Jeffrey Tambor as King Neptune
- Scarlett Johansson as Princess Mindy
- Alec Baldwin as Dennis
- David Hasselhoff as himself
Production art for the posters
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Nickelodeon Logo - Barry Davis, Josh Eichenbaum, Oliver Luckett, Rami Perlman, Karyn Rachtman [Nickelodeon Movies logo]
• The Treasure Chest - Gregor F. Narholz [treasure chest]
• SpongeBob SquarePants Theme Song - Derek Drymon, Stephen Hillenburg, Mark Harrison, Blaise Smith [pirates sing this]
‣ Maui Beach - Hans Haider ["Ah, the sea."]
• Bob Squad - Tom Rothrock [police outside the Krusty Krab]
‣ Love Elegy - Mike Sunderland [Phil whimpering]
• Bob Squad - Tom Rothrock [SpongeBob putting cheese on the Krabby Patty]
‣ Crime International - Graham De Wilde ["Three cheers for the manager!"]
‣ Marching to Honolulu - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob wakes up]
‣ Hawaiian March - The Waikikis [SpongeBob getting dressed]
• Goofy Goober Song - Eban Schletter, Stephen Hillenburg, Derek Drymon, Tim Hill, Kent Osborne, Paul Tibbitt, Aaron Springer [SpongeBob and Patrick dance to this]
‣ Non Stop - John Malcolm [news report about Krusty Krab 2]
• Plankton - Gregor F. Narholz ["Curses! It's not fair!"]
• Secret Formula - Gregor F. Narholz [Plankton imagines the formula]
• Idea Vibe - Nicolas Carr ["Z?!"]
‣ Sleazy Sax - Richard Myhill [Plankton looking at Plan Z]
• Plan Z - Gregor F. Narholz ["It's evil... it's diabolical... it's lemon-scented!"]
• Busy Planning To Rule - Gregor F. Narholz ["I'm busy planning to rule the world!"]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Stupid kid."]
• Grand Opening - Gregor F. Narholz [grand opening ceremony]
• And The New Manager Is - Gregor F. Narholz [Krabs reveals the new manager]
‣ Pua Paoakalani B - Kapono Beamer, Queen Lili'uokalani ["But... But why?"]
• SpongeBob Theme - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Hooray for SpongeBob!"]
• Steel Licks 9 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Hello? Where'd everybody go?"]
• Plan Z Into Effect - Gregor F. Narholz [later that evening...]
• Royal Trumpet Fanfare I - Gregor F. Narholz [Trumpet fanfare]
• Bring the Prisoner Forward - Gregor F. Narholz [Prisoner is brought to the room]
‣ Airs and Graces (A) - Paddy Kingsland [Neptune lectures Mindy about his crown]
• Stolen Crown - Gregor F. Narholz [Plankton stole Neptune's crown]
‣ Camptown Races - Edwina Travis-Chin [at Goofy Goober's]
• Goofy Goober Song - Eban Schletter, Stephen Hillenburg, Derek Drymon, Tim Hill, Kent Osborne, Paul Tibbitt, Aaron Springer [kids sing along]
• SpongeBob Is Crying - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob crying]
‣ Piano Presto A - Ted Atking, Alian Feanch [SpongeBob and Patrick eating ice cream]
‣ Too Tired A - Hans Ehrlinger [SpongeBob drunk]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band ["Now pay attention, Squidward."]
• King Neptune Approaching - Gregor F. Narholz [Neptune approaching Krusty Krab 2]
• King Neptune Arrives - Gregor F. Narholz ["Stay in the coach, daughter. This won't take long."]
• Royal Trumpet Fanfare II - Gregor F. Narholz [Trumpet fanfare]
• King Neptune & Eugene I - Gregor F. Narholz ["Relinquish the royal crown to me at once!"]
• King Neptune & Eugene II - Gregor F. Narholz [answering machine]
‣ Too Tired A - Hans Ehrlinger [drunk SpongeBob arrives]
• Eugene Krabs On Fire - Gregor F. Narholz [Krabs on fire]
‣ So Tired - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [Neptune laughs]
• I Have a Crab to Cook - Gregor F. Narholz ["I have a crab to cook."]
• The Road to Shell City - Gregor F. Narholz ["Come along, Mindy."]
• The Two Heroes - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick start running]
‣ Happy Jose - Ulrich Hans Wenzel [elevator music]
• The Two Heroes - Gregor F. Narholz [The Patty Wagon]
• Plankton Steals the Formula - Gregor F. Narholz [Plankton steals the formula]
• Goofy Goober Song - Eban Schletter, Stephen Hillenburg, Derek Drymon, Tim Hill, Kent Osborne, Paul Tibbitt, Aaron Springer [SpongeBob and Patrick approach a gas station]
‣ Kentucky Banjo - Guy Fletcher, Rod Williams [hillbillies laugh]
• At The Gas Station - Gregor F. Narholz ["Shell City?!"]
‣ Kentucky Banjo - Guy Fletcher, Rod Williams [hillbillies laugh again]
‣ Starlight Revue - Alan Braden [Krabby Patties at the Chum Bucket]
‣ Emotion 2 - John Fox, Otto Sieben ["He confided in me a secret wish."]
• Plankton & Evil Dennis - Gregor F. Narholz [free bucket helmets/Dennis introduced]
• Drowsy Reef - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick getting tired]
• You Better Swim - Motorhead [The Thug Tug]
‣ Can Can - Jacques Offenbach, George Wilson [bubble party]
• Goofy Goober Song - Eban Schletter, Stephen Hillenburg, Derek Drymon, Tim Hill, Kent Osborne, Paul Tibbitt, Aaron Springer [baby hunt]
• Goofy Goober Test - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick trying not to sing along]
‣ Song Dedicated to the Giant Squid of the World - The Snails [double-baby]
‣ John and Terry - Tim Garland [Squidward riding his bike]
‣ Killer Squad - Simon Benson, Eugenio Grandi ["Chum Bucket? Free? Krabby Patty?"]
‣ Match Play - Keith Mansfield [at the Chum Bucket]
• Brain Control Devices - Gregor F. Narholz [Customers capture Squidward]
• Patrick And SpongeBob Driving - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob goes to get ice cream]
• Ice Cream Monster - Gregor F. Narholz [Ice cream monster]
• Dennis On The Hunt - Gregor F. Narholz [Dennis blows a bubble]
‣ Can Can - Jacques Offenbach, George Wilson [SpongeBob and Patrick's faces appear in the bubble]
• Ice Cream Monster Patrick And SpongeBob - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick still being chased by the ice cream monster]
• Steel Licks 9 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick with dumbfounded looks]
• There Is The Road - Gregor F. Narholz ["On the other side of this... deep, dark... dangerous..."]
• I Am Going Home - Gregor F. Narholz ["I'm going home."]
• Mindy's Arrival Fanfare - Gregor F. Narholz [Mindy appears]
• Planktopolis - Gregor F. Narholz [Plankton taking over Bikini Bottom]
‣ Renaissance Dance - David Farnon [hair in a can]
• Mindy's Inspirational Speech - Gregor F. Narholz ["It doesn't matter if you're kids."]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob and Patrick crying]
• Dennis Is Catching Up - Gregor F. Narholz [Dennis approaches]
‣ Lonely Heart's Club A - David Bell, Otto Sieben [SpongeBob and Patrick still crying]
• Believe - Gregor F. Narholz [mermaid magic]
‣ Lonely Heart's Club A - David Bell, Otto Sieben ["Did you hear that, Patrick?"]
• Mindy's Magic - Gregor F. Narholz [Mindy puts seaweed on their faces]
• The Two New Men - Gregor F. Narholz ["Patrick, you have a mustache!"]
• Free Fall - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick realize they're falling]
• Now That We're Men - Will Schaefer, Stephen Hillenburg, Derek Drymon, Tim Hill, Kent Osborne, Paul Tibbitt, Aaron Springer [SpongeBob and Patrick sing as they go through the trench]
‣ Fight! Fight! Fight! - Will Schaefer [background music to "Now That We're Men"]
• Sad Monsters Interlude - Gregor F. Narholz [Monsters walk away]
‣ Fight! Fight! Fight! - Will Schaefer ["Well, Patrick, we should be there in one more verse."]
• Dennis The Exterminator - Gregor F. Narholz ["Finally. I got you right where I want you."]
• Fake Mustache - Gregor F. Narholz ["You mean, these?"]
• Bigger Boot - Gregor F. Narholz [Dennis about to step on SpongeBob and Patrick]
• The Cyclopse - Gregor F. Narholz [Cyclops kidnaps SpongeBob and Patrick]
• Those Fish Are Dead - Gregor F. Narholz [Knick-knacks]
• The Two Friends' End - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick dehydrating]
• The Tears Of The Goofy Goobers - Gregor F. Narholz [The tear moves]
• Wild Percussions - Gregor F. Narholz [Smoke moves upward]
‣ Build Up - Robert Sharples [SpongeBob and Patrick brought back to life]
• Let's Get That Crown I - Gregor F. Narholz [they try to take the crown]
‣ Jarabe Tapatio A - Gerhart Frei, Carlos Periguez [mariachi band]
• Let's Get That Crown II - Gregor F. Narholz [bag of winds]
‣ Stirred Not Shaken! A - Gregor F. Narholz [David Hasselhoff appears]
• All Hail Plankton - Gregor F. Narholz [March 14]
‣ Stirred Not Shaken! A - Gregor F. Narholz ["Hooray for Hasselhoff!"]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [Dennis returns]
• King Neptune Returns Drummer - Gregor F. Narholz [drummer]
• Time For Execution - Gregor F. Narholz [Neptune about to kill Mr. Krabs]
‣ Say it with a Smile (A) - Dick Stephen Walter [Mindy stalling]
• Fight With Dennis - Gregor F. Narholz [fight with Dennis]
‣ Say it with a Smile (A) - Dick Stephen Walter [Mindy still stalling]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz ["I have had enough of this nonsense!"]
• The Hasslehoff Catapult - Gregor F. Narholz [Hasselhoff arrives at Bikini Atoll]
• Just in Time - Gregor F. Narholz ["Hooray! We made it!"]
• King Neptune Hails Plankton - Gregor F. Narholz [King-size helmet]
‣ Here I Go Again - David Coverdale, Bernard Marsden [SpongeBob's speech]
• Goofy Goober Rock - Dee Snider, Derek Drymon, Tim Hill, Stephen Hillenburg, Kent Osborne, Aaron Springer, Paul Tibbitt [SpongeBob sings this]
‣ Just a Gigolo/I Ain't Got Nobody - David Lee Roth [SpongeBob scatting]
‣ I'll See You in Hawaii - The Diamond Head Beachcombers ["Well, Mindy, I have to admit you were right."]
• Sentimental Moment - Gregor F. Narholz ["I think I know what it is."]
• Ocean Man - Ween [First credits song]
• SpongeBob and Patrick Confront the Psychic Wall of Energy - The Flaming Lips [Second credits song]
• Just a Kid - Wilco [Third credits song]
• Best Day Ever - Tom Kenny [Fourth credits song]
Despite the huge success of this film, the failure of Rugrats Go Wild! (2003) and Hey Arnold! The Movie (2002) prevented anymore Nickelodeon animated feature films from being made until 2010. This movie also received positive reviews in contrast to previous Nickelodeon movies such as Harriet the Spy (1996), Good Burger (1997), The Rugrats Movie (1998) and Clockstoppers (2002), which received mixed to negative reviews.
- The movie is available on The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie DVD, UMD, Digital, and Blu-ray releases.
- It is also available on VHS, but since the VHS format was discontinued in 2006, this version is now out of print. The VHS version can still be bought used from a thrift store, or from online sites such as Amazon and eBay, although the VHS version on Amazon and eBay can get expensive as of 2020.
- It is also available on The SpongeBob Movie Collection DVD and Blu-ray, Nickelodeon 6-Movie Collection, Really Big Box Set, SpongeBob StarPants, Sponge Crazy, The SpongeBob Movie Double Pack, The SpongeBob 3-Movie Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants Double Feature, SpongeBob Double Feature, SpongeBob StarPants, Double DVD Fun 2, 3 Movie Pack, 3 Movie Pack volume 2, Really Big Box Set, Family Fun Collection, Limited Edition 2 DVD Box Set, Double Feature Volume 1, Kids Double Pack, and Movies & TV Collection.
A video game based on the original film was released for PlayStation 2, PC, Game Boy Advance, Xbox, and GameCube on October 27, 2004. The home-console version was developed by Heavy Iron Studios, the Game Boy Advance version was developed by WayForward Technologies and was published by THQ.
On February 28, 2012, Paramount Pictures announced a sequel to The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie. It is titled The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water. The film was released on February 6, 2015, over ten years after the first movie's release.
On April 2015, Paramount Pictures revealed that they would be developing sequels to existing franchises such as World War Z, Jack Reacher, and a third SpongeBob Movie. On April 26, 2018, the title was revealed at CinemaCon as The SpongeBob Movie: It's a Wonderful Sponge. However, on November 12, 2019, it was revealed that the movie was renamed to The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run.
- In the time of this movie, SpongeBob has 374 consecutive employee of the month awards.
- With this in mind and the dates the movie show (March 7 and March 14), this would mean that the movie takes place from March 7, 2031 - March 14, 2031.
- In the rough storyboards for the movie (viewable here), Patchy (and Potty's string puppet) led the pirate crew. In the final film, they were replaced by a real parrot and a different pirate captain who, unlike Patchy, does not wear a hook on his hand.
- The movie was originally going to be the series finale, but Nickelodeon wanted more episodes produced as this film became a big success. However, it wasn't the chronological finale of the series, despite continuing along the years.
- In the Ice-Cream Dreams storybook, Mr. Krabs doesn't correct himself after saying "Don't you understand-ager?" to SpongeBob.
- After the movie was made, Nickelodeon released a special issue of Nickelodeon Magazine about this film. It included interviews with the cast, an article about SpongeBob's origin, Patrick recounting his journey to Shell City, and a comic about Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy trying to stop Plankton during the events of the movie.
- There are two online games based on this movie called Bubble Bustin' Game and The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie 3D Game.
- This marks the only appearances of Captain Bart the Pirate, DJ, Mr. Whiskers, Ice cream lady, The Pirates, Phil, King Neptune's watch-guards, King Neptune's guards, Squire, Royal crown polisher, Shell City and Krusty Krab 2 to date.
- This marks Victor's last appearance to date.
- Some footage from the opening scene appears in the second movie's trailer.
- In the book Ice-Cream Dreams, it says the grand opening for the Krusty Krab 2 is March 3. However, in this movie, the grand opening is March 7.
- Additionally, the book Bubble Blowers, Beware! changes the rule of the Thug Tug into being laughed at if they blow bubbles rather than being beaten.
- Joshua Seth, who worked on this movie, also lent his voice to the Pioneer-Geneon dub of the 1988 Japanese animated film, Akira.
- The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie novel that was marketed during the film's marketing campaign had content altered from it, as well as rewording certain dialogues that was considered too intense for young readers.
- Patrick's quote "Did you see my underwear?" is later reused in the online games Dutchman's Dash and Dirty Bubble Busters.
- The song "Best Day Ever" heard during the end credits and in the movie's soundtrack would later be used in the episode of the same name, but shorter.
- This is the first appearance of Karen as a mobile device.
- Mr. Krabs does not communicate with Plankton at all in this movie, mostly due to him being frozen for a majority of the movie.
- A scene where SpongeBob and Patrick, after escaping from Shell City, encounter Sandy on the surface, who here has the appearance of a real-life squirrel, was planned for the film but was ultimately cut and Sandy instead appeared in the final film as one of the many citizens of Bikini Bottom that fell under Plankton's control via his Bucket Helmets. The animatic for the scene is included as a deleted scene on the special features of the DVD release. The scene was removed due to Patrick vomiting. However, the deleted scene of them meeting Sandy on the surface was later recycled into the second movie when SpongeBob and his friends are surprised by Sandy's superhero ability to be a giant real-life squirrel named "The Rodent."
- The surprised faces that Patrick and SpongeBob make near the cliffside would become a popular internet meme, and both faces later returned briefly in the episode "Scavenger Pants."
- It's also a idle animation both SpongeBob and Patrick in the 2020 video game Battle for Bikini Bottom - Rehydrated, a death animations in the Game Boy Advance version SpongeBob's Atlantis SquarePantis and in the mobile game Super Brawl Universe.
- It was seen in online games Which Patrick Are You? and SpongeBob Saves the Day!
- It has been referenced by Nickelodeon's social media accounts.
- There is also an action figure based on Surprised Patrick that was released as part of the Masterpiece Memes toy line and a SpongeBob Memes Mash'ems based on it.
- This film features a different King Neptune from the one shown in the series.
- In a deleted scene, during SpongeBob's awakening in Goofy Goober's Ice Cream Party Boat, he asks for a "double fudge spiny." This rejected line was used in a storybook based on this movie released during the time called Ice-Cream Dreams.
- The movie was dedicated in memory of Jules Engel. In September 2003, during production, Engel, Stephen Hillenburg's mentor when he studied experimental animation at the California Institute of the Arts, died. Hillenburg dedicated the film to him: "He truly was the most influential artistic person in my life. I consider him my 'Art Dad'."
- The teaser trailer uses footage from submarine films: Das Boot, The Hunt for Red October, and U-571.
- Elmer's Glue, a real-life glue item, makes a product placement in this movie when the Cyclops is making a shell and when a lobster shoots it at him at the Shell City Gift Shop.
- This movie is a movie inside a movie because the Pirates are watching the SpongeBob movie in an actual theater.
- Plankton getting flattened by the crowd is similar to how Squidward gets trampled by the same crowd in "Graveyard Shift" and "Squid on Strike." Both scenes involve Sandals stepping on them first, them looking completely flat and filled with footprints, and the crowd running towards the Krusty Krab.
- The Goofy Goober underwear that Patrick wears appears again in "Born to Be Wild."
- This movie reveals that by an unspecified period of time, SpongeBob learns how to drive a stick-shift vehicle ever since he is not good at driving at Mrs. Puff's Boating School.
- SpongeBob says he won Employee of the Month 374 consecutive times. 374 months is equal to about 31 years.
- During the first half of the closing credits to this movie, SpongeBob's Krusty Krab employee hat appears to be bigger than normal, and it vertically reads "MANAGER."
- A sequel to this movie was announced on February 28, 2012, and was released on February 6, 2015. A third movie was announced on April 30, 2015, and was released on Paramount+ on March 4, 2021.
- When Patrick and King Neptune argue about how many days they should get for their journey, it is similar to how he and the Flying Dutchman argue about how many wishes SpongeBob and he should get in "Shanghaied."
- Patrick also argued to King Neptune before in "Neptune's Spatula" on how many challenges SpongeBob will have.
- This film is mentioned in the 2012 movie Piranha 3DD by David Hasselhoff, who guest-starred in this film. In it, Hasselhoff asks a kid if he knows him from The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.
- A clip of SpongeBob in the grand opening ceremony from the movie was featured in the 2017 film Daddy's Home 2.
- The movie foreshadows Goofy Goober's when a toy of the Goofy Goober peanut is seen in SpongeBob's toy chest near the beginning.
- This movie has a unique animation style in that the characters have distorted-looking looks and bodies and color scheme (for the fish). It will be used again the second film (in Bikini Bottom).
- This movie is one of the few times where Gary speaks. He says "Meow, Plankton."
- The pufferfish in Shell City bears a similar backstory to Mrs. Puff's husband, Mr. Puff, who met the horrible fate of being turned into a pufferfish lamp, as shown in the episode "Krusty Love."
- This film was released in between the episodes "Pranks a Lot" and "Fear of a Krabby Patty," thus between the conclusion of season 3 and the start of season 4.
- This is the first SpongeBob SquarePants production to be presented in widescreen.
- This was the first non-Rugrats film to have a sequel from Nickelodeon Movies.
- The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie was, for its time, the highest-grossing animated feature film by Paramount Pictures and the highest-grossing one based on a television series, surpassing Rugrats in Paris: The Movie from 2000. However, it was eventually surpassed by The Simpsons Movie in 2007 for the latter title, and by The Adventures of Tintin in 2011 for the former title.
- There are a few strawberries that are splattered on the waiter, but there are no strawberries visible on the ice cream. It is possible that the strawberries are hidden inside the ice cream.
- In this film, Squidward rides a recumbent bicycle. This was inspired by the fact that his voice actor, Rodger Bumpass, also rides a recumbent bike in real life.
- On one airing, after the movie, the cut-short version of the Nickelodeon Movies logo from the 2002 film Hey Arnold!: The Movie was shown before "Naughty Nautical Neighbors".
- The date March 14 became a memorable day to people on the internet known solely for being "the day that Krabs fries," which is what Plankton says during a scene with Mr. Krabs frozen near the end of the movie.
- This movie has many inspirations to the epic Greek poem "The Odyssey" by Homer, specifically the Bag of Winds and the Cyclops.
- David Hasselhoff acting as a lifeguard in this movie is a nod to his role as Mitch Buchannon, from the TV series Baywatch.
- The song "Goofy Goober Rock" is a parody of the song "I Wanna Rock" by Twisted Sister.
- The Goober meal is similar to the McDonald's happy meal.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick are in the Nut Bar a picture of Popeye, a panel from his comic strip series, and a panel from the comic strip Krazy Kat can be seen framed on the wall behind them.
- Floyd and Lloyd look very similar to Mario and Luigi from the Super Mario Bros. games because of their colored caps, long pants and similar heights as Mario and Luigi.
- They are also a reference to the characters Feed and Seed from the 5th episode of season 11 of The Simpsons in which both sets of characters tease the protagonists about being "city slickers" and tell them that they will not last long in the countryside.
- When Cyclops is making a knick-knack out of a clam, he names it "Alexander Clam Bell," which is a parody of Alexander Graham Bell with a telephone replica attached. Alexander Graham Bell was the inventor of the telephone.
- The Patty Wagon is similar to the burger car from another Paramount and Nickelodeon movie, Good Burger.
- King Neptune's trident being accidentally set to "Real Boy" is a reference to Pinocchio.
- In one scene, there are two fish headbanging to "Goofy Goober Rock." They are a reference to the characters from the MTV cartoon Beavis and Butt-Head, as the two fish have the same color scheme and hair color as them.
- SpongeBob had his shoes on while he put his pants on, but in the scene before that, he was only wearing his socks.
- Multiple incidentals change their position in the scene where Mr. Krabs is announcing the new manager, as seen here.
- Mr. Krabs says near the end of the movie "I'm going to do something that I should have done 6 days ago." He means 7 because it was the day after when SpongeBob got the 6-day challenge to get the crown. It is likely that when SpongeBob started the 6-day challenge, Mr. Krabs already decided to make SpongeBob the manager.
- The size of the crown changes throughout most of the movie. When Plankton is carrying it, he is as big as the tip, but when SpongeBob attempts to lift it, it looks gigantic compared to him.
- When there is a close-up of the Patty Wagon's pickle-like wheels, they are bumpy. However, in the next scene, they are regular wheels instead.
- When Mindy talks to King Neptune, she has her golden band, however, the next scene her golden band disappears, and then it reappears.
- While jumping off the Patty Wagon, the top part of SpongeBob becomes transparent for a split second.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick are eating their Triple Gooberberry Sundaes, pink ice cream is splattered on the waiter, however, there is no pink ice cream visible on the sundae.
- After the end credits where the pirates are still in the movie theater and the usher comes in to tell them it is time to go, there is less popcorn on the floor, but as the pirates are leaving and she continues her sweeping job, there is more popcorn all over the floor.
- It is likely that the extra popcorn came from the pirates who stood up.
- When Plankton sees King Neptune's castle 7 houses can be seen and no guards are visible, seconds in there's a guard in the corner of the scene where he flies in a opened window of the castle and doesn't notice him.
- After retrieving the crown the guard is nowhere to be seen and the houses decrease to 5.
- The position of Mr. Krabs changes when Plankton's getting the formula.
- The Chum Bucket keeps changing positions in this film, first The Chum Bucket was far way and sideways from The Krusty Krab and The Krusty Krab 2, then across the street from The Krusty Krab 2 when Plankton steals the formula, then it was between The Krusty Krab and The Krusty Krab 2, and it's nowhere to be seen when the Bikini Bottomites under Plankton's mind control are working.
- ^ https://web.archive.org/web/20131106124003/http://www.tclchinesetheatres.com/year/2004/ Retrieved on November 6, 2013.
- ^ a b c http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=spongebob.htm
- ^ https://twitter.com/Viacom/status/593762894103375872
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/652969019788541952
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/1286675423435186178
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/1281704375384076288
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/1286690126786043905
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/1114208160208674816
- ^ VISUALIZING ART HISTORY: EXPERIMENTAL ANIMATION & ITS MENTOR, JULES ENGEL. Indie Gogo. Retrieved on May 24, 2020.
- ^ Little Rock native who voices Squidward talks 20 years of 'SpongeBob Squarepants' (July 12, 2019). Retrieved on May 24, 2020.