"The SpongeBob Musical: Live on Stage!" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode, produced as a stand-alone special for season twelve. In this episode, SpongeBob must stop an active undersea volcano from destroying Bikini Bottom. It is a televised version of the Broadway musical and is part of the series' Best Year Ever event. Join SpongeBob, Patrick, Sandy, and the Bikini Bottom gang for the best musical adventure ever!
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Patrick Star
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Pearl Krabs
- Sandy Cheeks
- Mrs. Puff
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Karen Plankton
- Gary the Snail (as a talking prop)
- Patchy the Pirate
- French Narrator
- Mermaid Man (mentioned)
- King Neptune (mentioned)
- Larry the Lobster
- Realistic Fish Head (on TV screen)
- Perch Perkins
- Bikini Bottomites
- Jellyfish (as props)
- Mrs. Tentacles (mentioned)
- The Electric Skates
- Effects guy
- Real-life people
An active undersea volcano called Mount Humongous is about to erupt and destroy SpongeBob's hometown of Bikini Bottom. He teams up with his friends Patrick and Sandy to stop the eruption and save the town. Meanwhile, Plankton and Karen plan to hypnotize the townsfolk into liking chum by bringing them into a rigged escape pod. The townspeople, unknowingly, support this idea and decide to hold a last-minute music concert to raise money. Pearl tries to sing with her favorite band, the Electric Skates, while Squidward tries to achieve his lifelong dream of music stardom as the manager of the concert.
The episode is listed on The Futon Critic as part of the show's season 12 order.
- Ethan Slater as SpongeBob SquarePants
- Gavin Lee as Squidward Tentacles
- Danny Skinner as Patrick Star
- Christina Sajous as Sandy Cheeks
- Wesley Taylor as Sheldon J. Plankton
- Katie Lee Hill as Karen Plankton/Ensemble
- Tom Kenny as Patchy the Pirate/French Narrator
- Brian Ray Norris as Eugene H. Krabs
- Jai'Len Josey as Pearl Krabs/Ensemble
- Abby C. Smith as Mrs. Puff/Ensemble
- Kyle Matthew Hamilton - Electric Skate / BFF / Undersea Creature
- Curtis Holbrook - Electric Skate / Undersea Creature
- Jesse J.P. Johnson - Undersea Creature
- Jon Rua - Plankton Dancer/Krabby Patty mascot/Sardine Corps/Undersea Creature
- L'ogan J'ones - Electric Skate/Undersea Creature
- Kelvin Moon Loh - Perch Perkins/Undersea Creature
- Lauralyn McClelland - Sardine Corps/Undersea Creature
- Vasthy Mompoint - Security Guard/BFF/Plankton Dancer/Sardine Corps/Undersea Creature
- Bryonha Marie Parham - The Mayor/Undersea Creature
- Oneika Philips - Plankton Dancer/Sardine Corps/Undersea Creature
- JC Schuester - Old Man Jenkins/Undersea Creature
- Robert Taylor Jr. - BFF/Plankton Dancer/Sardine Corps/Undersea Creature
- Allan K. Washington - Larry the Lobster/Gary/Undersea Creature
- This episode is available on the DVD and digital DVD with the same name.
- Tom Kenny reprises his series role as Patchy the Pirate for this filming, as well as his prerecorded role as the French Narrator.
- This special was released on DVD on November 3, 2020.
- The event's premiere was simulcast on Nicktoons, TeenNick, and Nick Jr.
- A cut-off version of the original title card of "Tea at the Treedome" appears in this special.
- This is the only SpongeBob SquarePants special to air on the Nick Jr. channel (except in Australia). Various other SpongeBob media has aired on Nick Jr., such as crossover shorts and commercials.
- The short "Movie Etiquette" precedes this special, with new dialogue dubbed in, replacing the Patchy the Pirate prologue from the stage show.
- "My leg!" is heard when the Electric Skates show Squidward their list. The list is so long it unravels and crashes into the orchestra pit, causing chaos among the musicians, one of whom spouts this classic sound bite.
- The stage show was filmed at the Theatre Royal, Plymouth in Devon, England.
- Lilli Cooper and Stephanie Hsu do not appear as Sandy and Karen, respectively, since they were busy with other projects. Cooper was appearing in Tootsie on Broadway and Hsu was filming her recurring role on The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.
- Gaelen Gilliland also does not reprise her role as the Mayor, because she was performing in the national tour of Mean Girls.
- Kelvin Moon Loh (Perch Perkins) was also, at the time, a featured actor in Beetlejuice, but was still able to reprise his role.
- To fit the television time slot, some lyrics and dialogue were cut from the show. The entirety of the second "Bikini Bottom Day" reprise that opened act two was also cut.
- Due to the smaller space of the theatre, Michael Dobson, the percussionist who also served as the live foley artist, was moved onto the stage rather than the right of the stage, and even gets a speaking line, and joins the cast on "Best Day Ever".
- Also due to the smaller space, the Rube Goldberg devices that represented the boulders were completely removed.
- Due to this airing on television with ad breaks, the line "Enjoy your last intermission ever" is replaced by a dramatic cliffhanger narration.
- After the initial airing, the special was further trimmed down to about two hours instead of two and a half, cutting "No Control", "Daddy Knows Best", "Poor Pirates", "Bikini Bottom Boogie" and "(I Guess I) Miss You", as well as removing some dialogue, and the entire opening of act 2 where SpongeBob talks to Gary and surveys the doomsday atmosphere of Bikini Bottom. A sing-along version of this special premiered on January 4, 2020 in this same length. It is unclear if the unedited version will be shown on the DVD with all the elements from the initial airing and new sing-along subtitles for the songs cut from the short version (however, it is said that the sing-along version will be extended in the DVD).
- On days before the special aired on TV, there was a transition Nick made that was used to end an episode or part of a program. The transition shows a Bikini Bottom cloud falling onto the screen, and many more showing the city. SpongeBob and Patrick ride on hooks and wave at the viewers. A flower transitions to one of the many promos for said musical.
- These were used by Nick, Nicktoons, and TeenNick.
- There was also a split-screen promo interruption for the musical. They came in both HD and SD versions on the three channels mentioned above.