The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water is a film based on Nickelodeon's hit TV show SpongeBob SquarePants. In this movie, SpongeBob needs to go on a quest to discover a stolen recipe that takes him to our dimension, our world, where he tangles with a pirate.
- Burger Beard (debut)
- Guardian skeleton
- Kyle the Seagull (debut)
- Dead Parrots
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Gary the Snail
- Patrick Star
- Mr. Superawesomeness
- Bubble SpongeBob
- Bubble Patrick
- Bubble Gary
- Bubble Squidward
- Squidward Tentacles
- Sour Note
- Old Man Jenkins (blue, wheelchair)
- Old Man Walker
- Incidental 22
- Incidental 104
- Incidental 73
- Incidental 93 (looks a bit different)
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 8
- Bubble Bass (cameo)
- Dr. Gill Gilliam
- Incidental 45
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Several new background fish (+ indicates one of them)
- Incidental 153
- Fred (normal, Frankie Billy-colored)
- Fish A4  (Iggy)+ (debut)
- Incidental 47
- Fish A13  (Alyssa)+ (debut)
- Incidental 32
- Incidental 60
- Incidental 152
- Fish A28  (Robert)+ (debut)
- Fish A30  (Geraldino)+ (debut)
- Incidental 14
- Fish A25  (Arthur)+ (debut)
- Incidental 67
- Fish A34  (Hank)+ (debut)
- Incidental 23
- Incidental 21 (normal, John-colored)
- Fish A31  (Derrick)+ (debut)
- Incidental 65
- Fish A12  (Cal)+ (debut)
- Fish A8  (Baco)+ (debut)
- Fish A24 (Eric)+ (debut)
- Incidental 24
- Fish A6  (Jacob)+ (debut)
- Fish A7  (Lizzie)+ (debut)
- Fish A3  (Hubert)+ (debut)
- Incidental 9
- Visual Aids  fish+ (debut)
- Fish A5  (Simon)+ (debut)
- Fish A20  (Lola)+ (debut)
- Fish A18  (Ralph)+ (debut)
- Fish A35  (Frederick)+ (debut)
- Fish A29  (Layla)+ (debut)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Sir Pinch-a-Lot
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 106
- Incidental 16
- Incidental 108
- Sandy Cheeks
- The Rodent
- Blue fish
- Incidental 69
- Incidental 18
- Incidental 12
- Incidental 46 (normal, blue)
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 29
- Incidental 103
- Incidental 28
- Karen Plankton
- Incidental 37A
- Purple baseball coach fish
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 4
- Mrs. Puff
- Incidental 84
- Incidental 49
- Fish A2  (Jib)+ (debut)
- Poison Fish + (debut)
- Fish A19  (Raymond)+ (debut)
- Fish A36  (Connor)+ (debut)
- Incidental 151
- Fish A10  (Lloyd)+ (debut)
- Fish A15  (Trevor)+ (debut)
- Fish A17  (Dan)+ (debut)
- Fish A16  (Chad)+ (debut)
- Incidental 11
- Incidental 107
- Incidental 150
- Fish A41  (Herry)+ (debut)
- Fish A27  (Sharon)+ (debut)
- Fish A22  (Chuck)+ (debut)
- Fish A21  (Eddy)+ (debut)
- Fish A14  (Jerome)+ (debut)
- Realistic Fish Head
- Perch Perkins
- Fish A38  (Bryan)+ (debut)
- Fish A39  (Allen)+ (debut)
- Fish A37  (Louie)+ (debut)
- Wormy (cameo on poster)
- Heart (debut)
- Ice cream (debut)
- Syrup girl (debut)
- Ice cream boy (debut)
- Ice cream girl (debut)
- Waffle boy (debut)
- Cupcake twins (debut)
- Balloons (debut)
- Bicycling Smoothie (debut)
- Muffin (debut)
- Giant cute kitty (debut)
- Popsicle twins (debut)
- Rainbow (debut)
- Bubbles (debut)
- Live-action beachgoers (debut)
- Squidasaurus Rex (debut)
- Larry the Lobster (cameo)
- Incidental 36
- Officer Nancy O'Malley
- Fish A23  (Chudd)+ (debut)
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 2
- Incidental 3
- Incidental 158
- Incidental 17 (normal, yellow)
- Incidental 20
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 154 (cameo)
- Incidental 119
- Incidental 31 (normal, Harry-colored)
- Incidental 39
- Incidental 5
- Incidental 10 (normal, Molly-colored)
- Incidental 68
- Officer Slugfish
- Incidental 90
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 63
- Incidental 49A
- Incidental 105
- Fish A33  (Marc)+ (debut)
- Incidental 81
- Incidental 85
- Incidental 13
- Incidental 102
- Incidental 155
- Incidental 49 (brown with dark blue hair)
- Incidental 25 (Norton-colored)
- Pearl Krabs (in credits)
- Flats the Flounder (in credits)
- Porpoise (mentioned)
- Tarantula (cameo)
- Tom Kenny (in fake credits)
- Bill Fagerbakke (in fake credits)
- Rodger Bumpass (in fake credits)
- Doug Lawrence (in fake credits)
- Clancy Brown (in fake credits)
- Carolyn Lawrence (in fake credits)
- Jill Talley (in fake credits)
The movie opens to see a pirate named Burger Beard on an island where he is following a map to a magical book. After dodging a lot of booby traps, he finds the book on a pirate skeleton and snatches it. The skeleton comes to life and knocks Burger Beard back to his ship with the book where he reads it to some seagulls. The story is about SpongeBob SquarePants and how much the Krabby Patty means to his undersea city of Bikini Bottom.
Meanwhile, down in Bikini Bottom, SpongeBob wakes up ready for his day at the Krusty Krab. He goes to the Krusty Krab and helps his boss, Mr. Eugene H. Krabs, sell the Krabby Patties for the citizens of Bikini Bottom. Meanwhile, up in the sky, Mr. Krabs' nemesis, Sheldon J. Plankton, the owner of the Chum Bucket across the street, drops a jar of mayonnaise on the Krusty Krab in pursuit of the Krabby Patty secret formula. This causes SpongeBob, Mr. Krabs, and SpongeBob's best friend, Patrick Star, to go to war with Plankton to stop him from stealing the formula. They win and Plankton surrenders after trying to bribe his rival though they are broke.
However, Plankton is revealed to have been a robotic dummy all along and the real Plankton is the penny in Mr. Krabs' safe. Plankton swipes the formula with a fake bottle. He calls Karen and tells her that his master plan has worked. SpongeBob then comes back into Mr. Krabs' office and finds Plankton stealing the formula. They fight over the formula and suddenly, it disappears into thin air. Mr. Krabs barges into the office and sees that the formula is gone. He demands Plankton to tell him where it is, but Plankton truthfully tells him that it disappeared. Even though SpongeBob tries to convince him otherwise, Mr. Krabs does not buy it at all and tortures Plankton with SpongeBob's annoying laugh with a joke. The torture stops when SpongeBob's grouchy next-door neighbor and Mr. Krabs' assistant, Squidward Tentacles, tells Mr. Krabs that the customers want Krabby Patties and they are demanding refunds. Mr. Krabs, being the penny-pinching crab he is, does not want to give refunds and tells SpongeBob to make some Krabby Patties.
However, SpongeBob goes to the freezer and sees that there are no more Krabby Patties. When Mr. Krabs finds out, he tells SpongeBob he has to have the formula memorized by now, but SpongeBob reminds Mr. Krabs that the employee handbook reads that having the formula memorized is forbidden.
Mr. Krabs takes Plankton outside, where he and Karen are surrounded by citizens of Bikini Bottom, Squidward, and all of whom think that he is responsible for the formula missing. SpongeBob however, comes to Plankton's rescue and blows a bubble to keep them both safe from the angry mob. They float away and try to find a place to retreat and lay low. The angry mob chases after the two, but they getaway. Mr. Krabs falls into despair, thinking SpongeBob had been working with Plankton this whole time and expresses his fears that dark times are ahead of them. Squidward thinks he's overreacting, but in an instant, the town falls into a post-apocalyptic state.
Back on land, Burger Beard finishes reading the story to the seagulls and says that it ends with the town falling into despair and chaos. The seagulls, however, think otherwise and complain that the story should not end that way. One of the seagulls rips out the ending page and it lands in the ocean. The seagulls threaten to poop on Burger Beard unless he continues reading and gives a better ending.
Back in the ocean, the town is still in chaos and the citizens have gone psychotic. At the Krusty Krab, Patrick stupidly does not take notice of the chaos, as he tells Squidward that he would like a Krabby Patty but Squidward tells him there are no more of them in Bikini Bottom. As a result, Patrick now realizes the situation and goes psychotic as well.
Back in the bubble, SpongeBob and Plankton decide to work together to solve the crisis, but Plankton cannot say the word "teamwork."
Meanwhile, Sandy Cheeks, is in her treedome, enjoying a Krabby Patty, unaware of what's going on. She soon spots Patrick outside her dome, she is confused after he starts begging for her burger but she eats it anyway and he leaves disappointed. Sandy turns on the news and sees what had happened since nobody has a Krabby Patty and is sad at not savoring her meal if she had known. Sandy decides to solve this mystery and sees the page that was thrown into the ocean and decides to interpret it.
Back in the bubble, SpongeBob and Plankton decide to form a team to find out what happened to the formula. They go to Patrick's house and find him vandalizing his property. He stupidly questions who they are by asking for a secret password if they are SpongeBob and Plankton as they are confused and he takes it as the answer. SpongeBob makes Patrick part of the team to find the formula, but Patrick quickly squeals on them and tells the angry mob to get them led by Mr. Krabs.
They go to Sandy's house and find out that she has gone nuts trying to figure out what happened to all the Krabby Patties and she thinks the "Sandwich Gods" are angry with them. SpongeBob and Plankton get creeped out and leave.
Back at Burger Beard's ship, Burger Beard tucks the seagulls into bed, but they want to hear more of the story. Burger Beard, in a fit of rage, tells them the story of how he wanted to become the world's greatest galley chef but was laughed at and mocked in pirate school and how he wanted to steal the magic book and achieve his goal. It is revealed that everything he writes in the book comes to life and he turns the seagulls into pirates. He turns out to be the one who made the formula disappear.
Plankton and SpongeBob go to the latter's house to retrieve his pet snail, Gary the Snail, but find out that he has become part of a rebellion of insane snails. SpongeBob and Plankton go to a hill away from Bikini Bottom and they decide to camp outside and find a way to get the formula back in the morning. However, Plankton thinks SpongeBob knows the formula and sneaks into his brain and finds it made out of the sunshine, sweets, and other jolly things. After Plankton leaves, SpongeBob tells Plankton that he did not know the formula as the latter admits he distrusts people so that's why he did it. SpongeBob convinces him to cooperate. Plankton and SpongeBob come up with an idea to build a time machine, go back in time, and get the formula before it disappeared.
The first thing they need is a computer for time machine and Plankton decides to use his computer wife, Karen Plankton. SpongeBob and Plankton go to the Chum Bucket to notice that Karen is chained to a wall in the backroom and is being guarded by fish. Because of this, SpongeBob rolls a tire towards the fish guards and they start beating on it, allowing SpongeBob and Plankton to sneak past the guards. Once at the Chum Bucket, the two use a tiny door to get inside the place. Plankton quickly notices sleepy Patrick as the guard who's holding the key attached to a necklace on his neck. Plankton and SpongeBob tip-toe over to sleeping Patrick and SpongeBob makes a creaking sound on the metal floor, almost causing Patrick to wake up. Luckily, Patrick goes back to sleep and SpongeBob tries pulling the necklace key from Patrick's neck, but this does not work. Since SpongeBob can't do it, Plankton does it himself by getting the key unattached from the necklace, only for him and the key to fall into Patrick's belly button. SpongeBob reaches into Patrick's belly button to grab Plankton and the key, which wakes up Patrick and he sees them. Before Patrick blows his big whistle to alert everyone, SpongeBob wrestles him down and starts rocking him in his arms. While being rocked in SpongeBob's arms, SpongeBob has Plankton tell Patrick a story and he hurriedly tells Patrick a bedtime story about a big, fat, pink idiot who went to sleep. Patrick doubts it will work but it instantly causes Patrick to go back to sleep. Now that SpongeBob and Plankton have the key, they go to the back room and use the key to unlock Karen's chains. Plankton tells Karen about his time-traveling plan and Karen questions him about this. Plankton, Karen, and SpongeBob then leave the Chum Bucket while the latter is forced to carry Karen's head. They sneak past the angry fish guards, who are still beating the tire.
Later, at an abandoned Mexican-German restaurant called Taco Haüs, SpongeBob and Plankton use a photo booth, a cuckoo clock, Karen, and some stale chips to build a time machine. They try to go back in time but go four days into the future to find that both the whole town has been ruined and Patrick has aged rapidly without Krabby Patties. They go to the "middle of space" and meet a dolphin named Bubbles, who is the protector of the universe, and he asks them to guard the planets while he takes a bathroom break. However, two of the planets crash and fall apart. When Bubbles comes back, SpongeBob and Plankton flee back into the time machine when the former starts shooting lasers at them out of anger.
They then go back to before the formula disappeared where they meet their past selves who are shocked to see their counterparts have teamed up. Plankton finally pronounces the team right before they grab the formula and return to their time.
Meanwhile, Burger Beard drives his ship to a beach community called Salty Shoals, where he reveals that his pirate ship is also a food truck. He scares all his seagull minions away with a plate of buffalo wings.
Meanwhile, at the Krusty Krab, Sandy bursts in announcing that to please the Sandwich Gods, a sacrifice will make Krabby Patties fall from the sky, but Mr. Krabs objects, as he will not get any money, so everyone decides to sacrifice him and Squidward. As they headed towards the exit, SpongeBob and Plankton come back and revealed the formula while Patrick steals the time machine and went back in time. Mr. Krabs and everyone was delighted, until when Mr. Krabs opened it, SpongeBob grabbed the fake formula that Plankton made when he tried to replace the formula which was a note saying, "Eugene, Eat my Sub-aquatic Air Bubbles!!! Love, Plankton" (With a poor drawing of Mr. Krabs with one eye half opened and one fully opening saying "I'm Stodpid"). Frustrated, Mr. Krabs decides to sacrifice SpongeBob and Plankton. Patrick arrives back to the present and brought back an undersea dinosaur Squidasaurus Rex, who looks just like Squidward. Plankton blames SpongeBob for everything, even though Plankton didn't tell him about the fake formula and he was the one who wanted to steal it. SpongeBob goes insane from all of Plankton's insults and starts breaking down as the townsfolk and Squidasaurus stop to see this. SpongeBob calms down and tells everyone what has become and they've let it happen. The townsfolk think they need to sacrifice SpongeBob after he volunteers. The crowd takes him to a temple to be sacrificed. Before that can happen, though, SpongeBob smells Krabby Patties and Mr. Krabs confirms it's true. SpongeBob then tells the others to follow him to where he thinks the smell is coming from. Everyone ditches their leather duds and they follow SpongeBob.
After a long and perilous journey, our heroes finally reach the place where SpongeBob smells the Krabby Patties are coming from- the surface. All the secondary characters leave, but SpongeBob tries to convince Patrick, Mr. Krabs, Squidward, and Sandy decide to keep ongoing. But the problem is, they can't keep on going because SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward can't breathe air. Suddenly, Bubbles appears and thanks SpongeBob for getting him fired, as he was sick of that job as protector of the universe. He decides to help the others by shooting them out of his blowhole. Plankton meanwhile, has snuck into SpongeBob's sock as he decided to come along for the ride. Bubbles shoot our heroes out his blowhole with a magical beam and they land on the beach Burger Beard drove onto earlier. Bubbles disappear into the sky to polish up his résumé. SpongeBob thanks him and he and his friends head off to find where the Krabby Patties are.
The gang finally finds Burger-Beard cooking Krabby Patties and wonders what is going on. Burger-Beard is shocked to see them and explains that he used a magic book to obtain the Krabby Patty formula. With SpongeBob and friends confused, Burger-Beard takes the magic book and writes "The brave and handsome Burger Beard banished are poor heroes to become stranded on Pelican Island." With the gang stranded on Pelican Island, it seems as if there is no hope until SpongeBob has an idea. He gets the paper that landed on Sandy's treedome and ink that Squidward provides to rewrite the story. SpongeBob gives the gang powers and they go back to Burger-Beard for an epic final battle.
With Squidward as Sour Note, he plays the clarinet, producing a horrible sound that stuns Burger-Beard. Patrick (Mr. Superawesomeness) summons an Ice Cream storm, but instead of attacking Burger-Beard, he eats it. As the Pirate tries to escape, Mr. Krabs (Sir Pinch-a-Lot) traps him. As the team celebrates, Burger-Beard drives off on his Pirate Ship Car. The gang chasing him. Mr. Superawesomeness, riding on SpongeBob Invincibubble), tries to grab the anchor but fails. Then, Sour Note, riding Sandy Cheeks (The Rodent) makes Burger-Beard drop the book, which Invincibubble's wand catches putting the book in a bubble. In a failed attempt to retrieve the Formula, the team is wounded. Finally, as Burger-Beard stops the ship, Plankton (Plank-Ton) lifts the ship, takes the book and the formula, and places the pirate on the ground. As their last act of teamwork, Plankton blows a Plank-Ton of bubbles sending Burger-Beard back to the island assumed to be Bikini Atoll. The heroes go back underwater, as Plankton goes back to being a business rival and plots for his latest scheme yet, but if SpongeBob defeats him, he has Patrick, Squidward, Mr. Krabs, and Sandy to keep him company.
Back at Bikini Atoll, as the movie closes, Burger Beard and the seagulls sing SpongeBob's theme song when Bubbles tells them to keep quiet. They get into an argument which turns into a rap battle, until Burger Beard says to leave them alone so they can finish the song. After they did, Bubbles finds out it was actually good.
During the credits, SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward, Mr. Krabs, Sandy and all the other Bikini Bottomites celebrate the retrieval of the Formula by dancing to "Squeeze Me" across the bottom of the screen. In a post-credits scene, while at the film's dance party ending, Plankton is being chased by Gary, who eats him up.
- On February 28, 2012, Stephen Hillenburg announced that there would be a sequel to the previous movie.
- On May 25, 2012, Stephen Hillenburg announced that he was helping to write the film.
- On August 1, 2013, Paramount Pictures had changed the original 2014 release and moved it to February 13, 2015, instead.
- On September 21, 2013, it was reported that Spanish actor Antonio Banderas had been casted for a live action role as Burger Beard.
- On September 30, 2013, Live Action filming started in Savannah, Georgia.
- On November 5, 2013, Live Action filming ended in Savannah, Georgia.
- On January 27, 2014, when asked why the title of the film was changed from The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie 2 to SpongeBob SquarePants 2, the series crew member Vincent Waller replied "There is NO official title yet."
- On March 24, 2014, a preview of the movie was shown at the Cinemacon.
- On April 5, 2014, Paul Tibbitt revealed the trailer for the movie would be released "soon."
- On June 5, 2014, the film's release date was moved up one week to February 6, 2015, in order to avoid competition with Universal Pictures' Fifty Shades of Grey, which was set to premiere on February 13, 2015.
- On June 10, 2014, the movie's name was revealed to be: "The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water."
- On July 25, 2014, at the San Diego Comic-Con, Paramount Pictures released the first footage of the film.
- On July 31, 2014, the movie's trailer was released:
- On October 30, 2014, the movie's second trailer was released:
- On December 19, 2014, a Christmas greeting was released.
- On December 21, 2014, a sneak peek was shown during a SpongeBob marathon.
- On January 5, 2015, a song made for the movie, "Thank Gosh It's Monday," was released.
- On January 6, 2015, they had a video game trailer for the movie.
- On January 8, 2015, SpongeBob tells you to have a happy day.
- On January 22, 2015, the first official movie clip was released online.
- On the same day, they had an app game trailer for the movie.
- On January 27, 2015, the second official movie clip was released online.
- On January 28, 2015, the movie was released in Belgium and the Netherlands.
- On the same day, the third official movie clip was released online.
- On January 29, 2015, the fourth official movie clip was released online.
- On January 30, 2015, the movie was released in Iceland, Mexico, and Taiwan.
- On the same day, the fifth official movie clip was released online.
- On February 2, 2015, a featurette video of the film was released.
- On February 3, 2015, the sixth official movie clip was released online.
- On the same day, they had another video game trailer for the movie.
- On February 4, 2015, the seventh and eighth official movie clips were released online.
- On February 5, 2015, the movie was released in Argentina, Aruba, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Denmark, Peru, and Ukraine.
- On the same day, the ninth official movie clip was released online.
- On February 6, 2015, the movie was released in Spain, Kenya, Romania, Turkey, Canada, and the United States.
- On February 12, 2015, the movie was released in Azerbaijan, Hungary, Kazakhstan, Portugal, and Russia.
- On February 13, 2015, the movie was released in Pakistan.
- On February 18, 2015, the movie was released in France.
- On February 19, 2015, the movie was released in Austria, Czech Republic, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Iraq, Italy, and Kuwait.
- On February 20, 2015, the movie was released in Bulgaria, Cambodia, Norway, Poland, and Sweden.
- On February 27, 2015, the movie was released in Finland.
- On March 5, 2015, the movie was released in Singapore.
- On March 6, 2015, the movie was released in Lithuania and Latvia.
- On March 17, 2015, the tenth official movie clip was released online.
- On March 19, 2015, the movie was released in Malaysia.
- On March 27, 2015, the movie was released in the UK and Ireland.
- On April 2, 2015, the movie was released in Australia and New Zealand.
- On April 4, 2015, the movie was released in the Philippines.
- On April 8, 2015, the movie was released in Indonesia.
- On April 9, 2015, the movie was released in Thailand.
- On April 10, 2015, the movie was released in Estonia.
- On April 23, 2015, the movie was released in Croatia.
- On May 16, 2015, the movie was released in Japan.
- On May 18, 2015, a longer version of the song "Thank Gosh It's Monday" was released.
- Tom Kenny as SpongeBob SquarePants/Invincibubble, Gary the Snail, Agreeable Mob Member, Waffle boy
- Bill Fagerbakke as Patrick Star/Mr. Superawesomeness, Male Fish, Eager Customer
- Rodger Bumpass as Squidward Tentacles/Sour Note, Dr. Gill Gilliam, Angry Mob Member #2, Doughnut, Squidasaurus Rex
- Clancy Brown as Eugene H. Krabs/Sir Pinch-a-Lot
- Carolyn Lawrence as Sandy Cheeks/The Rodent
- Doug Lawrence as Sheldon J. Plankton/Plank-Ton, Plankton robot, News Anchor Fish, Mob Member
- Jill Talley as Karen Plankton, Harold's Wife, Ice cream girl
- Mary Jo Catlett as Mrs. Puff
- Lori Alan as Pearl Krabs
- Antonio Banderas as Burger Beard
- Peter Shukoff as a seagull
- Lloyd Ahlquist as a seagull
- Carlos Alazraqui as a seagull, Dead Parrot
- Eric Bauza as a seagull
- Tim Conway (in his final film role) as a seagull
- Eddie Deezen as a seagull
- Nolan North as a seagull, Dead Parrot, Pigeon Cabbie
- Rob Paulsen as a seagull
- Kevin Michael Richardson as a seagull
- April Stewart as a seagull
- Cree Summer as a seagull
- Billy West as a seagull
- Alan Carr as a seagull (UK version)
- Caspar Lee as a seagull (UK version)
- Stacey Solomon as a seagull (UK version)
- Paul Tibbitt Helpful Angry Mob Member Kyle (US), Joe Sugg (UK), and Robert Irwin (Australia) as Kyle
- Matt Berry as Bubbles (character)
- Dee Bradley Baker as Sandals, Customer #1, Fish on Bubble, Perch Perkins, Angry Fish, Maple Syrup Jar, Waffle, Ice cream boy, Furballs, Giant cute kitty, Rainbow, Spotlight Guard, Angry Guard #1, Tough Mob Member
- Sirena Irwin as Computer Voice, Shocked Mob Member
- Mark Fite as Customer #2
- Thomas F. Wilson as Angry Customer #1
- Kate Micucci and Riki Lindhome as Popsicle twins
- Stephen Hillenburg as Baby (voice)
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ ? - John Debney [opening titles/Burger Beard on island.]
◦ SpongeBob SquarePants Theme Song - Derek Drymon, Stephen Hillenburg, Mark Harrison, Blaise Smith [Gulls sing this.]
• You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Story begins.]
‣ ? - John Debney [Plankton introduced in story/Tartar sauce dropped from plane/Firing potatoes at Plankton]
• Gator - Steve Belfer ["Hey, it's raining fries!"]
‣ ? - John Debney [Plane crashes.]
• Gator - Steve Belfer ["Hey, it's raining pickles!"]
‣ ? - John Debney [Tank lands on fish.]
• Hawaiian Walk - The Blue Hawaiians [Sandy at drive-thru.]
‣ ? - John Debney [Firing condiments at Plankton.]
• Hawaiian Walk - The Blue Hawaiians [Sandy still waiting at drive-thru.]
‣ ? - John Debney [Giant robot emerges from mayo/Plankton gets out his wallet.]
• Salt Water Works - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton gives Krabs his last cent.]
‣ Escaping In A Bubble - John Debney [Plankton in Krabs' safe/SpongeBob and Plankton escape in a bubble/Fake ending.]
‣ Bikini Bottom News Theme - Nicolas Carr [Sandy turns on the TV.]
‣ ? - John Debney [Patrick banging on Sandy's treedome.]
‣ Bikini Bottom News Theme - Nicolas Carr [News bulletin.]
‣ ? - John Debney [Page falls from above/Mob chases SpongeBob/Plankton enters SpongeBob's brain.]
◦ Teamwork - Riki Lindhome, Kate Micucci [SpongeBob sings this.]
‣ ? - John Debney [Getting the key.]
‣ Brahms' Lullaby - Johannes Brahms [Plankton tells a bedtime story.]
‣ ? - John Debney [Plankton rescues Karen.]
‣ Everybody Polka! - Glenn Rueger [At Taco Haus.]
‣ ? - John Debney [Building the time machine.]
◦ Teamwork - Riki Lindhome, Kate Micucci [SpongeBob and Plankton sing this.]
‣ ? - John Debney ["I'm glad you're on my te-am."]
◦ Squeeze Me - N.E.R.D. [Time travel warp scenes.]
‣ ? - John Debney [Bubbles introduced.]
‣ Mannequins in Love - Marc Ferrari, William Joseph Martin [Muzak in bathroom.]
‣ ? - John Debney [Stealing the formula back/Sandy proposes a sacrifice.]
‣ The Ecstasy of Gold - Ennio Morricone [SpongeBob's speech.]
‣ ? - John Debney [Bubbles to the rescue!]
‣ Love's Theme - Barry White ["Where have you been all my life?"]
‣ ? - John Debney [Beachfront antics.]
• 12th Street Rag 3 - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick eating cotton candy.]
‣ Here We Go - Steve Johnson, Chris Slack [SpongeBob and Patrick run through different backdrops.]
‣ ? - John Debney ["Hey guys, I smell Krabby Patties!"]
‣ Kanjinchou - Takeshi Terauchi [Burger Beard taking orders.]
‣ ? - John Debney [SpongeBob and co. as superheroes.]
‣ I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - Bob Alame, Frank Loesser, Lawrence Welk [Capturing cannonballs in bubbles.]
‣ ? - John Debney [Plank-Ton revealed.]
• SpongeBob Theme - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["We'd like 3000 Krabby Patties!"]
‣ Buggy Girl - David Hamburger, John Hunter Jr, Jonathan Slott ["See you later, teammate!"]
◦ SpongeBob SquarePants Theme Song - Derek Drymon, Stephen Hillenburg, Mark Harrison, Blaise Smith [Burger Beard and gulls sing this.]
◦ Rap Battle - Peter Shukoff, Lloyd Ahlquist [Bubbles sing this.]
◦ SpongeBob SquarePants Theme Song - Derek Drymon, Stephen Hillenburg, Mark Harrison, Blaise Smith [Burger Beard and gulls sing this.]
◦ Squeeze Me - N.E.R.D. [Closing credits part 1.]
◦ Patrick Star (song) - N.E.R.D. [Closing credits part 2.]
◦ Sandy Squirrel (Song) - N.E.R.D. [Closing credits part 3.]
‣ ? - John Debney [Closing credits part 4.]
- The movie is available on The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water DVD and Blu-ray, The SpongeBob Movie Collection and Blu-ray, Movies & TV Collection, The SpongeBob Movie Double Pack, SpongeBob Double Feature and Nickelodeon 5 Family Films DVDs.
The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water was originally planned for a 2014 release to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the first film. On August 1, 2013, however, in an article from The Hollywood Reporter, Paramount Pictures announced that the film would have its official wide release in theaters on February 13, 2015 in North America to avoid competition from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2014 film, another Nickelodeon movie. On June 5, 2014, the film's release date was moved up to February 6, 2015 in order to avoid competition from 20th Century Fox's Kingsman: The Secret Service and Universal Pictures' Fifty Shades of Grey, which both premiered the following week. The film premiered on January 28, 2015, in Belgium and the Netherlands, and on January 30, 2015, in Iceland, Mexico, and Taiwan.
San Diego Comic Con 2014
See here for highlights of the panel hosted by Tom Kenny.
Crucial details of the movie were revealed at the San Diego Comic-Con 2014.
A video game featuring a plot set directly after that of The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water, published by Activision, and titled SpongeBob HeroPants was released on February 3, 2015 in North America and on March 26, 2015 in the United Kingdom for the Nintendo 3DS, PlayStation Vita (cross-compatible with PlayStation TV), and Xbox 360.
A mobile game titled The SpongeBob Movie Game: Sponge on the Run was released on January 22, 2015, for iOS and Android. It is an endless running game based on the film and features several mini-games.
-  In another interview, Paramount vice chairman Rob Moore remarked, "Hopefully, it won't take 10 years to make another film." Later in 2015, in a tweet by Viacom, it was revealed that Paramount Pictures would be developing sequels to existing franchises such as World War Z, Jack Reacher, and a third SpongeBob Movie. On April 26, 2018, the title was revealed at CinemaCon as The SpongeBob Movie: It's a Wonderful Sponge. However, on November 12, 2019, it was revealed that the movie was renamed to The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run. In a February 2015 interview discussing the film's financial success, Megan Collison, president of worldwide distribution and marketing at Paramount, stated the possibility of a third film was "a good bet."
- According to the deleted "Thank Gosh It's Monday" sequence, this movie takes place on May 16-17 of an unknown year.
- According to Clancy Brown, this film was very different from the first because almost all aspects of it were controlled and monitored by executives from Paramount, who were "leaning over everybody's shoulder, saying what should and shouldn't be done." They made a number of changes to improve marketing, namely:
- Removing scenes featuring Mrs. Puff and Pearl, who were deemed less popular than Sandy, whom they requested to be given a starring role. Stephen Hillenburg originally planned to give Sandy and Mrs. Puff the same amount of screen time.
- Inserting the CGI sequences, when the film was initially meant to be entirely 2D-animated. These scenes were used as the basis for all posters and commercials.
- This is also the first SpongeBob SquarePants production that involves CGI.
- Unlike the first film, Stephen Hillenburg rarely attended voice recording sessions for this movie. He only attended one where Lori Alan and Mary Jo Catlett recorded dialogue that was almost entirely cut from the film.
- The traditionally-animated sequences of the film use a mix of the character designs from season 9 and the first movie, as well as the same color scheme of the first movie.
- This film marks the first time that any SpongeBob SquarePants media has been animated in Toon Boom Harmony. Most of the 2D-animated sequences were animated entirely in Toon Boom.
- This is the third time Plankton goes inside SpongeBob's brain. The first time was in "Plankton!" the second was in "The Inside Job."
- Although technically speaking, this is the third time where he ventures into his head, as does so in "Plankton!" but does not enter his brain.
- This is Bubble Bass' first appearance since "Plankton's Good Eye," and his first appearance in a movie.
- A special version of the movie with Drew Barrymore interviewing Tom Kenny and Bill Fagerbakke aired on Nick on September 3, 2020.
- This is the first SpongeBob film to make a meta-reference, poking fun at certain story elements and reality, as a fish says, "Alright, all secondary characters come with me."
- This is the second time in the series that Squidward has inked. The first was in "Giant Squidward."
- Wormy can be seen on a poster in Sandy's treedome.
- The Titanic is visible when everyone is going up to the surface. However, it is visible in one piece and has all of its funnels.
- "My leg!:" Mr. Krabs throws the giant stone Krabby Patty half down the temple.
- The two posters for the film, when both taglines are combined, read "He's leaving his world behind; Making waves in our world."
- In the first two trailers, "Welcome to the Jungle" by Guns N' Roses plays.
- On the surface world, there is a movie theater in the background called "Reef." This is a reference to its underwater counterpart, Reef Cinema.
- This movie is dedicated to Mermaid Man's original voice actor, Ernest Borgnine, who died during the production of the movie.
- In other countries, the movie is known as The SpongeBob Movie: A Hero Out Of Water 3D or SpongeBob SquarePants 3D.
- There is a tie-in video game based on this movie titled SpongeBob HeroPants. The game was made by Activision.
- In the second and thirteenth TV spots, the song "We're Not Gonna Take It" by Twisted Sister plays.
- On the Day of Positivity, the Weather Channel website and app promoted this movie by having CGI SpongeBob "say" things that correspond with the weather.
- In this movie, the characters become CGI-animated when on land, whereas, in previous episodes and the first film, they retain their 2D look.
- The third film will have them fully CGI-animated.
- This is the last movie to premiere during Stephen Hillenburg's lifetime.
- This film was presented in the 4DX motion-theater format in selected territories, which is a theatrical technology that produces strobe lightning, moving seats, scent, and environmental special effects to enhance the film-viewing experience. This is similar to the technologies used in SpongeBob SquarePants 4-D and SpongeBob SquarePants 4-D: The Great Jelly Rescue!.
- It is revealed that Plankton is so evil he cannot say the word "teamwork."
- This film has many instances of leaning on the fourth wall:
- A fish breaks the fourth wall by saying, "All secondary characters come with me," just as SpongeBob and his friends are about to continue their journey on the surface of the ocean.
- During the rap battle between the seagulls and Bubbles, the Captain says "You're making the movie too long."
- When Sandy is ranting about the page that says the end, she looks directly at the screen, indicating she was talking to the audience, the screen including the audience in the conversation.
- SpongeBob holds his thought bubble.
- In the credits, Pearl complains, "This dance is so last year!" This may be a reference to the fact that the movie originally would be out in 2014, the year before it was actually released.
- In the credits, Squidward hears the "Squeeze Me" song by N.E.R.D and says this song needs interpretive dancing and starts dancing to it.
- When the mother riding the baby in the booster says "SpongeBob", a reference to SpongeBob SquarePants being set in a fictional universe. However, some humans in the movie seem to not know about the show's existence as they react strangely to him and his friends.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick eats the cotton candy, Sandy says they're going to travel around the world. They actually "do so" but it's Sandy using backgrounds to make it look like it.
- When Sandy is running around weirdly she says "incoherent muttering" which is what she is doing and is what the captions are saying.
- As of January 27, 2015, the film was officially rated PG due to "some mild action and violence and some crude humor."
- There is an online game based on this movie titled The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water - Save The Krabby Patty.
- When the old SpongeBob asks if there are no clothes in the future, Plankton said: “There are no clothes my size.” However, but Plankton wore clothes through several episodes, and in "Plankton's Army," most of Plankton's relatives are wearing clothes.
- In the time travel scene, during the song "Squeeze Me," the words "Lil Wayne" and "vomit" were censored.
- The fact that Bubbles controls the cosmos is a reference to the history of the dolphin warrior from "Sponge-Cano!" In that episode, the dolphin warrior explains that he is a survivor of a volcano attack on an ancient race that ruled over the sea before the beginning of time.
- Sandy orders her Krabby Patty with no mayonnaise. Sandy's dislike for mayo was first heard about in "Planet of the Jellyfish."
- The trailer for this movie is sixth in WatchMojo.com's "Another Top 10 Misleading Movie Trailers" video.
- This is the third time Patrick says "Finland!" The first time was in "Frankendoodle" and the second time was in "Accidents Will Happen."
- Stephen Hillenburg provided the voice of the live-action baby in a stroller who says, "SpongeBob?"
- This film was released between the episodes "SpongeBob You're Fired" and "Lost in Bikini Bottom" in production order, and the episodes "Kenny the Cat" and "Yeti Krabs" in airing order.
- At the beginning, when Burger Beard is going through death traps to grab the magic book, it is a reference to Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
- The two Popsicles saying, "Come play with us, Plankton" is a reference to the Grady twins from the film 1980 horror The Shining.
- The music that plays while the Invincibubble puts the cannonballs in bubbles is an instrumental version of the 1918 song "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles."
- The movie contains several references to the 1979 film Mad Max.
- The first poster for the film is a reference to the Coppertone sunscreen poster introduced in 1944.
- The way Patrick pounces on SpongeBob and how they roll together is a possible reference to Winnie the Pooh where Tigger pounces on Pooh and they roll similarly.
- The Titanic appears in the film, which is a reference to the ship and the movie.
- The superhero team that forms SpongeBob and his friends is a reference to Marvel's The Avengers, a specialty for Sir Pinch-a-Lot--a parody of Iron Man--and Plank-Ton--a parody of The Incredible Hulk.
- During the news report, the logo for the news show says "BB Action News." The appearance of the logo resembles the real-life Action News logo used by many TV networks in the US.
- The skeleton could rebuild himself like a Dry Bones from the Super Mario Bros games.
- The sacrifice scene at the pyramid is a reference to Hokuto no ken.
- After the team is in their "superhero form" the person who says "What's in these things?" is Nice Peter from Epic Rap Battles of History, next to him is EpicLLOYD who also works on Epic Rap Battles of History.
- When Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob see Plankton crying for a few hours Mr. Krabs eyelashes are missing, for a split second.
- In the scene where Plankton and SpongeBob travel to the future, it is shown that Jupiter and Saturn collide with each other and they smash into pieces. This is impossible because Jupiter and Saturn are made of gas, which means if anything, they would just go right through one another.
- At the sacrifice scene, Squidward first appears with his executioner mask already on, but he then puts on again in the next shot of him, even though he first appeared with the mask already worn.
- When the page from the book falls on top of Sandy's treedome, it is much bigger than later when it hangs from her wall.
- There is an error with the time machine where Squidasaurus Rex breaks it, but later, it is immediately fixed.
- Plankton says they do not make clothes in his size but he has been seen wearing clothes in multiple episodes.
- SpongeBob and his friends live in the Pacific Ocean, but Bubbles knocks them out of the Atlantic Ocean instead.
- In the Latin American version, in the credits, when Pearl says "This dance is so last year!," it has Mrs. Puff's Latin American dub voice.
- On the October 27 and 28, 2017 airings of this movie, it was listed on the channel guide as the first movie. It even has the same info as the first movie.
- When the Titanic reference appears, it is not in the correct location, but the Titanic could be in the correct location as we never know exactly where the team is during this part of the film.
- When the team is banished to Pelican Island, Mr. Krabs says "We'll be eaten alive!," though he could not have known about Pelican Island as it is dusk there when the team is banished while it is daytime where Burger Beard is, even though Mr. Krabs was once a sailor he could not have known about Pelican Island as it is above water.
- During the chase scene when the team is in their superhero forms, the entire team is stuck on the anchor while Sandy is crawling on the anchor chain, SpongeBob sees a fish statue and then they plan to hook it, but it already passes them before they can get there but then it appears again.
- When Perch Perkins is reporting the disappearance of the formula, there is a second layer behind the building that was hit by a boatmobile.
- Burger Beard went to The Prometheus School of Running Away from Things.
- When Burger Beard is kicked back to the island with the book it is shown that it's only about two miles away when it was a long-distance before in the movie when he is reading the book to the seagulls.
- When Plankton is looking at the formula near the end of the movie, Mr. Krabs thinks that Plankton will use the moment to finally steal it and win, but Plankton would not be able to open it since his hands are too big and he would likely crush the paper accidentally.
- When a customer says, "We'd like three thousand Krabby Patties, please," SpongeBob is then seen holding a plate with less than three-thousand Krabby Patties.
- Official website
- Google+ page
- Facebook page
- Twitter page
- Instagram page
- Global Release Dates
- The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water on Wikipedia
- ^ https://web.archive.org/web/20150523060110/http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=spongebob2.htm
- ^ https://web.archive.org/web/20150222080744/http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?id=spongebobshow.htm
- ^ Graser, Marc. (2012) "Paramount ramping up animation slate". Variety. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z aa ab ac ad ae af ag ah ai aj https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/966119266947817472
- ^ https://www.webcitation.org/6M1QBJ1BZ
- ^ https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/paramount-dates-spongebob-squarepants-2-598033
- ^ Waller, Vincent. (2014) "Vincent Waller's Twitter account - "There is NO official title yet."". Vincent Waller. Retrieved 24 May 2014.
- ^ Douglas, Edward. (2014) "CinemaCon SpongeBob Footage". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved 20 April 2014.
- ^ an archieved tweet on Paul Tibbitt's twitter account
- ^ https://blog.activision.com/community/games-blog/more-games/blog/2015/01/06/introducing-spongebob-heropants-arriving-february-3
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2279373/releaseinfo
- ^ http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=16474
- ^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvomP3Vi2AM
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/565561877003247616
- ^ https://parade.com/398237/scottneumyer/exclusive-clip-guitar-legend-slash-in-a-deleted-scene-from-the-spongebob-movie-sponge-out-of-water/
- ^ https://web.archive.org/web/20120301150541/http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/viacom-paramount-release-spongebob-movie-late-2014-philippe-dauman295695
- ^ https://archive.ph/20130802003916/http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/paramount-dates-spongebob-squarepants-2-598033
- ^ https://web.archive.org/web/20130804060344/http://collider.com/monster-trucks-spongebob-squarepants-2-release-dates
- ^ https://web.archive.org/web/20130807002411/http://www.deadline.com/2013/08/monster-trucks-spongebob-squarepants-release-dates-paramount/
- ^ https://archive.ph/20140605224820/http://www.thewrap.com/paramount-avoids-fifty-shades-by-moving-up-spongebob-squarepants-sequel/
- ^ https://web.archive.org/web/20150228081537/http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2279373/releaseinfo
- ^ https://web.archive.org/web/20150107031110/https://blog.activision.com/community/games-blog/more-games/blog/2015/01/06/introducing-spongebob-heropants-arriving-february-3
- ^ https://web.archive.org/web/20150107030941/http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/01/spongebob_heropants_is_headed_to_3ds_soon
- ^ https://web.archive.org/web/20150125230007/http://comicbook.com/2015/01/22/spongebob-sponge-on-the-run-mobile-game-released-/
- ^ ‘SpongeBob’ Soaks Up $55 Million to Swamp ‘Jupiter Ascending,’ ‘Seventh Son’ at Box Office. TheWrap.com (February 8, 2015).
- ^ Box Office: 'SpongeBob' Capsizes 'Jupiter Ascending,' 'Seventh Son' With $56M. The Hollywood Reporter (February 8, 2015).
- ^ https://twitter.com/Viacom/status/593762894103375872
- ^ https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2dc994/actor_clancy_brown_here_you_might_know_me_from/cjo4euh/
- ^ https://twitter.com/LoriAlan1/status/535253067370074113
- ^ "Bob Esponja: Un Héroe fuera del Agua" llega al cine en Colombia
- ^ FAMILY DAY AT THE MOVIES IS BACK AND BIKINI BOTTOM IS TAKING OVER!
- ^ https://youtu.be/CObTPVhj2ng?t=303
|The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water (V • E)|
Miscellaneous: DVD • Blu-ray • Book • Video game • Mobile game • Save The Krabby Patty • Bikini Bottom Defenders • Defend the Krusty Krab! • Food Fight! • The Good, the Bad, and the Krabby! • Krabby Patty Caper • Plank-Ton to the Rescue! • Plank-ton's Big Plan! • Music • Soundtrack • The Great Krabby Patty Famine • Day of Positivity • Robinsons Movieworld: Meet and Greet SpongeBob
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|