- Eugene H. Krabs
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- SpongeBob's skeleton
- Squidward Tentacles
- Caveman (debut)
- Barnacles (mentioned)
- Conch-shelled manatees (mentioned)
- Bald eagle with a mustache (mentioned)
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 22 (pink)
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 60
- Incidental 107
- Patrick Star
- King Neptune (mentioned)
The Krusty Krab opens on a seemingly average morning and SpongeBob is extremely happy. He gets the Krabby Patties ready and soon gets an order of two Krabby Patties plus an insult from Squidward, which is to no effect. His excitement eventually causes him to accidentally throw his spatula into the ceiling and when trying to get it out, he falls, nearly being injured by scissors and swords.
Upon landing, SpongeBob accidentally trips on tartar sauce. His thumb drags across the wooden floor and rams into a small slab that breaks in half, giving him a splinter that immediately makes his thumb red and swollen; his weak arms keep him from getting it out and even biting it doesn't work. The customer that ordered earlier is turning impatient and the splinter keeps SpongeBob from holding the spatula needed to serve him; he decides to tie it on his nose, but Squidward soon finds out about it and tricks SpongeBob.
Squidward then convinces SpongeBob that he will get sent home by Mr. Krabs if he sees the splinter and flushes his hat and spatula down the toilet. SpongeBob begs Squidward not to get him sent home but is unsuccessful. Squidward also hints that he will tell Mr. Krabs about the splinter. As Squidward gets his full enjoyment about the situation, he and SpongeBob watch Mr. Krabs drives a customer away with his cheap behavior.
Anxious that he would be sent home by Mr. Krabs due to his splinter, SpongeBob calls Patrick to get treated for it, who comes in a fake doctor's uniform to cure the splinter; however, Patrick's 'treatment' only ends up with the splinter further into SpongeBob's thumb, making it swell more. Patrick tries to use garbage on it to help stop the swelling, but unfortunately inadvertently infecting it; Patrick then acts like as a fake doctor, saying that his 'shift' is over, as he returns to his normal duties.
SpongeBob soon runs into Mr. Krabs and Squidward and tries to hide the splinter from them. When he holds his thumb up, Squidward faints at the disgusting image. Mr. Krabs soon sees the splinter and takes it out easily, but as Mr. Krabs sees the infected boil about to burst, it seems that only confetti came out. Suddenly as Mr. Krabs announced the splinter problem has been solved, a big eruption of pus from his thumb came out to impact Mr. Krabs, who shields himself with an umbrella from the pus stream; SpongeBob is finally cured once the pus had finally dissipated and the big boil had finally shrunk down.
As Mr. Krabs relieves that he almost would've given SpongeBob worker's compensation, Squidward then discovers that he could get sent home early and still get paid by getting injured. Accordingly, he attempts to injures himself with the cash register harshly in order to get his worker's compensation, only to find out by Mr. Krabs that his shift had ended two minutes ago.
When SpongeBob shows Mr. Krabs and Squidward the splinter, Mr. Krabs tries remove it which removes SpongeBob's arm. He tries drastic measures like using tooth extraction forceps which he didn't remove the splinter, he removed his right tooth. Mr. Krabs pulls out the splinter much harder as he could, the customers heared screaming from the kitchen which makes them leave. And Mr. Krabs finally pulled out the splinter. And it ends with Mr. Krabs having a big splinter on the back of his bottom shell.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Mighty Magnus Fanfare - Nicolas Carr ["Open for business!"]
‣ Tripping Upstairs - Brian Peters [SpongeBob enters the kitchen]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm..."]
• Comedic Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston [SpongeBob trying to pull the spatula off the ceiling]
• Unknown Track 68 - swords
• Comedic Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston [SpongeBob stills trying to pull the spatula/SpongeBob pulls the spatula off the ceiling]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob falls]
‣ Comic Capers B - Charlie Brissette, Norman Mamey ["I guess this is it."]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob stops falling]
‣ Terror by Night - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob gets a splinter in his thumb]
‣ Rasping Brass - Harry Bluestone ["Hey, a splinter."]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["You have got to go...now."]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob trying to remove the splinter/SpongeBob tries to remove the splinter with his spatula]
• Spongefoolery - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston [SpongeBob bites the splinter]
• Steel Licks 9 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Okay, fine, stay."]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [SpongeBob ties the spatula to his nose/"Okay, good, 'cause these two Krabby Patties are ready!"]
‣ Cockney Capers - Ray Davies ["Can I ask you something?"]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob explains how he got the splinter]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr [Squidward gets an idea]
‣ Monocle and Pocket-Watch - Brian Gulland [Squidward tells SpongeBob he'll get sent home early]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob cries]
‣ Monocle and Pocket-Watch - Brian Gulland ["No, no, no, no, no, no..."]
‣ Dramatic Impact 2 - Ivor Slaney ["Well, maybe."]
‣ Monocle and Pocket-Watch - Brian Gulland ["...because he already knows."]
‣ House of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [SpongeBob screams]
‣ Unease - Dick Stephen Walter ["It's almost as if... he can smell it."]
‣ The Dreadnought Tea Clipper (b) - Tim Laycock, Robert Alexander White [Krabs sniffing around]
• Gator - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob calls Patrick]
‣ Murder Scene 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["We're gonna make it go away."]
‣ Menace [#42] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Patrick pounds the splinter in further]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob's thumb swells up]
• Steel Licks 8 - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick smears garbage on it]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob's thumb gets infected]
• What the Huh Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [Patrick's watch beeps]
• Steel Licks 9 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Call me in the morning, if you can still dial the phone."]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney [SpongeBob gasps]
‣ Drama Link (c) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob's hat covering his thumb]
‣ Voodoo Victim - Gilbert Vinter ["Have you always had three legs?"]
‣ Drama Link (b) - Hubert Clifford [swollen thumb revealed]
‣ Drama Link (f) - Hubert Clifford [Squidward faints]
• Tension Build - Nicolas Carr [Krabs pulls out the splinter]
• Credit Card Heaven - Nicolas Carr [choir]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band ["Whew. For a second there, I thought I was gonna have to pay you workman's "compersation."]
‣ Tympup A - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [Squidward's eyes open]
• Marlin March - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob's To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants, Season 6 Volume 1, Complete Sixth Season, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- If one looks closely when the spatula is in the freezer getting the Krabby Patties, there is a frozen caveman.
- This is the second episode where SpongeBob has his spatula in the kitchen. The first is "Employee of the Month." Ironically, both start at the grill and became stuck on the ceiling.
- This is the second episode where SpongeBob's skeleton is shown. The first is "Squid on Strike."
- This episode marks the second time Patrick impersonates a doctor. The first is in "Suds." At both times, he is confident on how to do his job, only to give disastrous treatment.
- The number SpongeBob dials on the phone is 4*92*42.
- SpongeBob is revealed to be ambidextrous.
- When Patrick put the garbage compress on SpongeBob's thumb, it turns dark purple and green pus comes out of it. However, when SpongeBob later shows Mr. Krabs and Squidward his thumb, it is red.
- When SpongeBob opens the box he took out from his pants, it is halfly in the table, but there clearly is not a hole there before he puts the box down.
- The kitchen ceiling suddenly becomes much higher when SpongeBob realizes his spatula is stuck in it.
- At first, SpongeBob makes two Krabby Patties but in a later scene, they disappear.
- At first, when Patrick changes, his mouth turns brown. It changes to red in the next shot.
- When Patrick puts SpongeBob's foot in his mouth, one can see his shoe and sock is removed. When the scene cuts back to SpongeBob and Patrick, the sock is still on his foot, and when Patrick removes the foot from his mouth, the shoe is also on.
- SpongeBob puts the open box full of ingredients on the grill, but when he looks at the Krabby Patty, it is gone.
- When SpongeBob attempts to remove his splinter, his skin peels off showing a skeleton, despite SpongeBob being a sea sponge, which are invertebrates.
- The same happens in the episode "The Good Krabby Name."
- When SpongeBob said that the spatula was really stuck, he already took out the spatula, then it was put back and stuck in the ceiling.