"The Sewers of Bikini Bottom" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season nine. In this episode, after accidentally flushing Mr. Krabs' safe, SpongeBob and Squidward must go into the sewers to find it. Meanwhile, Mr. Krabs visits a new stadium, which is having plumbing issues.
- Incidental 8
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 22
- Incidental 9
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Teddy (mentioned)
- Incidental 40
- Sandy Cheeks (mentioned in SpongeBob's list)
- Incidental 63
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 107
- Old Man Jenkins (blue)
- Old Man Walker
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 60
- Incidental 27
- Fred (blue)
- Incidental 36
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 67
- Incidental 108
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 69
- Incidental 3
- Incidental 47
- Incidental 151
- Incidental 150
- Crupski (debut)
- Charlton Hawkfish (debut)
- Bikini Bottom Barnacles
- Incidental 105
- Pearl Krabs
- Grandma Krabs
- Dead sea creatures
- Lampreys (debut)
- Sewer snake (debut)
- Bikini Bottomites
- Incidental 4
- Incidental 82
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 104
- Incidental 106
- Incidental 73
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 13
- Incidental 2
- Incidental 23
- Incidental 119
- Incidental 12
- Purple Doctorfish
- Incidental 37A
- Incidental 81
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 155
- Brown orange kid
- Incidental 17
- Incidental 10
- Incidental 5
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 25
- Incidental 15
- Canoer (debut)
- Food vendor
- Incidental 85
- Incidental 18
- Incidental 103
- Incidental 153
- Incidental 154
The episode opens at the Krusty Krab, where SpongeBob and Squidward are working and Mr. Krabs comes to tell them that Bikini Bottom's newest stadium will be named after the Krusty Krab. He then tells them that employees have to stay at the restaurant to continue working. Mr. Krabs puts Squidward in charge of the Krusty Krab while he is gone and he leaves.
SpongeBob wakes up a sleeping Squidward, asking for jobs to do. Squidward tries to find some work, but notices SpongeBob has done most of them already. Squidward then has SpongeBob clean some more but he does all of the work in seconds. Squidward, after running out of ideas, tasks SpongeBob to flush things down the toilet, so SpongeBob goes into the bathroom to do so. Squidward realizes his mistake and tries to stop SpongeBob. Before, SpongeBob flushes a mop down the toilet and Squidward finds it exciting. He and SpongeBob then flush various objects down the toilet but are horrified after accidentally flushing down Mr. Krabs' safe, which contains the Krabby Patty secret formula. SpongeBob decides to flush himself to go and get it and Squidward, realizing he needs SpongeBob to cook the Krabby Patties for the customers, follows SpongeBob down the toilet.
At the Krusty Krab Stadium, Mr. Krabs is talking to Crupski and Charlton Hawkfish about Mr. Krabs buying the stadium. Customers outside are complaining about the plumbing and Charlton is angered to not only see that the pipes have a reducer in it, but are also made out of cardboard. Charlton worries that the pipes will not hold but Crupski says it is a way to save money, much to the delight of Mr. Krabs. Meanwhile, SpongeBob and Squidward make it to the sewers, where they begin their search for the safe. They manage to spot it where it gets stuck in the pipes. As Squidward tries to reach for it, the safe gets unstuck and floats away. Squidward fails to grab it again and a couple of lampreys bite at his hands. SpongeBob helps get the lampreys off and spots the safe floating in the distance. SpongeBob and Squidward go after it once more and, suddenly, a large sewer snake emerges from the water.
Back at the stadium, Charlton warns Mr. Krabs and Crupski that it is time for the "halftime wave," where every toilet flushes at once. Mr. Krabs ignores this and continues to watch the game. Back in the sewers, SpongeBob and Squidward are running away from the sewer snake but end up running inside of it instead. Squidward, afraid, starts to run around frantically and SpongeBob spots the safe nearby trying to inform Squidward of it. Eventually, the sewer snake vomits up SpongeBob, Squidward, and the safe, which lands on Squidward's head. Meanwhile, everyone at the Krusty Krab Stadium starts to use the restrooms, where Charlton warns that the pipes are going to burst. The pipes then proceed to do so and a large amount of water pours inside of the stadium. Charlton dives underwater and activates his fail safe, which is a giant plunger that plunges away all of the water. Charlton blames Mr. Krabs and Crupski's cheapness for causing the problems and the sewer snake rises above in the stadium.
However, Charlton uses his nose to pop the sewer snake and it goes back into the sewers. SpongeBob and Squidward end up back in the Krusty Krab in the safe where they are ready to get back to work. However, the customers all run out screaming.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Unknown Track 20 - Title card.
‣ The Great White - Gregor F. Narholz [Opening credits.]
• Another Krusty Krab Day - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Opening at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Buckle Down March - Sam Spence ["The Krusty Krab Stadium! Wow!"]
‣ Variety Link (d) - Dick Walter ["Hooray for Mr. Krabs!"]
‣ Short Military Bridge - Nicolas Carr [Mr. Krabs leaves.]
• Solo Steel 4 - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward sleeping]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Squidward wakes up.]
• A Fishy Conversation - Barry Anthony [Squidward tells SpongeBob to clean everything one more time/Squidward orders SpongeBob to flush things down the toilet.]
• Harpsichord Classical Bits - Barry Anthony ["I hear and obey, my liege."]
• Lap Steel Lullabye - Nicolas Carr [Squidward goes back to sleep.]
‣ Prologue of a Drama #9 - Hans Conzelmann, Delle Haensch ["What have I done?!"]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Flushing things down the toilet]
‣ Tragic Bridge 4 - Phil Green [SpongeBob and Squidward panic.]
‣ A Hero's Story (a) - Gregor Narholz [SpongeBob flushes himself down the toilet.]
• Down in Davy Jones' Locker - Nicolas Carr ["I flushed SpongeBob down the toilet"]
‣ Terror - Alan Braden [Customers scream and run out.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (k) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward looks at the toilet.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (f) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward flushes himself down the toilet.]
‣ American Military Parade - Gerhard Trede [At the stadium]
‣ Acquital - David Lindup [Charlton examines sewer blueprints.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["That's what my grandma's dentures are made of."]
‣ Rescue - Cecil Milner [Squidward falling down the drain]
‣ Unknown Track 23 - "SpongeBob, are you down here?"
‣ Planet Surface - Gregor Narholz [SpongeBob and Squidward exploring the sewers]
‣ Sewer Sewer Cha Cha Cha - Kaz Prapuolenis, Nicolas Carr [Cha-cha music]
‣ Planet Surface - Gregor Narholz [SpongeBob and Squidward continue exploring the sewers.]
‣ Sewer Sewer Cha Cha Cha - Kaz Prapuolenis, Nicolas Carr [Cha-cha music]
‣ Planet Surface - Gregor Narholz [Squidward tries to take Mr. Krabs' safe.]
• Slide Whistle Stooges - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Lampreys bite Squidward's arms]
‣ ? [SpongeBob sings "Oh, sole mio."]
• Slide Whistle Stooges - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Squidward ride through the sewers in a barrel.]
‣ King Kong Coming - Gregor Narholz [Bubbling]
‣ The Creature (a) - Gregor Narholz ["Sewer snake!"]
‣ Fight for Ol'Schaefer U. - Will Schaefer [back at the stadium]
‣ Winds of War [#8] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["The halftime wave, man!"]
‣ The Creature (a) - Gregor Narholz [Snake chasing SpongeBob and Squidward]
‣ High Hazard - Philippe Pares [Sewer snake diagram]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (k) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob's to-do list]
• Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward panics.]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Safe hits Squidward.]
‣ Fight for Ol'Schaefer U. - Will Schaefer [Halftime]
‣ Battle Zone - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Everyone goes to the bathroom.]
‣ Bloodbath - Harry Lubin [Charlton pulls fail-safe switch.]
‣ Battle March Link (f) - Keith Mansfield [Charlton climbs out of the sewer]
‣ At the Ready - Harry Edwards [Charlton's speech]
‣ Unknown Track 20 - Sewer snake appears.
‣ Sylvia - Cortege de Bacchus - Leo Delibes [Charlton fights sewer snake.]
‣ House of Horror - William Farran [Ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob LongPants, Complete Ninth Season, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- This was the first episode Kaz wrote since "I Had an Accident" and his first credited episode since "SpongeBob Meets the Strangler."
- This was also the first episode that Dave Cunningham was officially credited for working as a storyboard supervisor.
- The things on SpongeBob's "To do" list are:
- Have tea with Squidward
10500 chocolate bars Digested by Sewer Snake
- Wear tux to breakfast
- Take road trip to moon
- Learn the Cha Cha (√)
- Wear all my socks
- Camping with Sandy
- Some of the things on SpongeBob's list reference five things:
- Eating 500 chocolate bars references "Chocolate with Nuts."
- The check mark next to "Learn the Cha Cha" references the scene in this episode where SpongeBob was doing his "Sewer Sewer Cha Cha."
- "Camping With Sandy" references "To Save a Squirrel."
- "Take road trip to the moon" references both "Sandy's Rocket" and "Mooncation."
- "Have Tea With Squidward" references "Not Normal," when Squidward and SpongeBob have tea.
- Things that were flushed down the toilet:
- This episode doesn't air in the Middle East except Turkey. Instead, its sister episode, "Patrick! The Game," airs with "Patrick-Man!"
- This is one of the very few regular 11-minute episodes to have a subplot, an element the show rarely uses outside of specials or movies.
- In the opening credits, Lynne Naylor is misspelled as Lynn Naylor.
- Squidward comments that he flushed SpongeBob down the toilet. However, SpongeBob flushed himself down the toilet.
- The Krusty Krab cash register is one of the things that Squidward and SpongeBob threw down the toilet and flushed. However, the Krusty Krab cash register still appears at Squidward's workstation in some later scenes.
- When SpongeBob and Squidward are in the bathroom, there is only one toilet, while there are usually three.
- When Charlton says there is only five minutes until halftime, the TV clearly says there is 10:42 left. The score and time on the scoreboard and TV are also inconsistent throughout the entire episode.
- When the stadium first gets flooded, one can clearly see the grandstands are full of people when all of them left to use the bathroom. This error is fixed in the next shot when the football players are running away from the flooding.
- In the end credits, "SpongeBob's shoe" is misspelled as "SpongBob's shoe."
- In the last shot, where everyone is fleeing from the Krusty Krab, neither SpongeBob nor Squidward are visible inside. The Galley Grub and Order Here signs are also missing throughout the entire episode.
- In several scenes, SpongeBob's arms are much longer than usual.
- When Charlton, Crupski, and Mr. Krabs watch the fish talk through the window, Crupski's eyebrows are smaller and thinner than usual.
- When Charlton first unrolls the map, there are no markings or writing anywhere on it. Later on, when Mr. Krabs is talking about the Bikini Bottomites, the map is only a grid with no drawings on it.
- The flags on the wall near the TVs in the Krusty Krab Stadium continuously change size and distance from each other.
- When Charlton pulls himself out of the hole the flooding caused, there are more people shown on the field than there were in the far shot of the field. Also, when Charlton is talking, the fish in the grandstands have no pupils in their eyeballs.
- When Charlton confronts Crupski and Mr. Krabs on the field, there are suddenly no fish in the grandstands. This error occurs for the remainder of the episode.
- On both shots of the outside of the Krusty Krab, there is a fish on the inside whose pupils are facing the ceiling and the ground. There are also more people who appear in the Krusty Krab than there are on the outside shot of it.