- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Squidward Tentacles (mentioned)
- Squidward's house (as a character)
- Gary the Snail
- Clam Burglar (mentioned)
SpongeBob runs towards Patrick's house, ready to go jellyfishing. Patrick says he will go with him, but must put away his "secret box" first. SpongeBob tries to peek inside but Patrick refuses to let him see. SpongeBob entices Patrick by sharing his own secrets, but this only convinces Patrick to keep his secret box even more closely guarded. SpongeBob tries to distract him with many of his own secret possessions, but Patrick only pays attention to his own box.
As Patrick explains the lengths he must go to keep his box safe, he fails to notice SpongeBob sneaking off with it, giddily preparing to look. Patrick stops him just in time and struggles with SpongeBob over the box. The sight of SpongeBob's arms popping off while still desperately clinging to the box disgusts Patrick, making him question the validity of their membership in the Best Friends Forever Club.
He threatens to end their friendship if SpongeBob continues trying to look at his secret. SpongeBob begs Patrick for his forgiveness and promises to respect Patrick's right to secrecy, and they continue being friends.
That night, SpongeBob cannot sleep, still thinking about Patrick's secret box and wondering about its contexts. He convinces himself that sneaking into Patrick's house while he's asleep would prevent Patrick from getting upset and he will be able to look at the secret without feeling guilty. Despite Gary's admonitions, SpongeBob puts his plan into action, pulling on a silk stocking for a mask and slipping under Patrick's rock.
Inside, the box lays in full view on Patrick's nightstand. Trying to tiptoe across a floor covered in potato chips and rubber ducks, SpongeBob fears waking Patrick with every step. Finally making it to the bedside, SpongeBob reaches for the box but Patrick sleepily grabs hold of it. SpongeBob gently slips himself in place of the box just as Patrick attempts to take something from it, yanking SpongeBob's tongue in the process. Patrick then places SpongeBob next to him on the bed, allowing SpongeBob to get back onto the floor. As he prepares to leave, SpongeBob trips on his shoelace and begins crashing and bouncing around the rock in a cacophony of noise, culminating in slamming against the wall and breaking a framed photo of him and Patrick in half. Despite all of this, Patrick remains fast asleep.SpongeBob quietly remarks how heavy a sleeper Patrick is, which causes Patrick to finally wake up and catch the masked SpongeBob with the box. Thinking him to be the Clam Burglar, Patrick prepares to assault him with a pillow until SpongeBob reveals his identity with his Best In shock and distraught, Patrick declares their friendship to be over. Immediately afterwards, Patrick changes his mind and allows SpongeBob look. SpongeBob eagerly opens the box, only to find a piece of string. Thanking Patrick for letting him look, SpongeBob heads home, laughing at how he shouldn't have been surprised. Alone once more, Patrick demonstrates the true secret nature of the box: when the string is pulled, a secret compartment opens and reveals an "embarrassing picture of SpongeBob at the Christmas party!" and Patrick laughs at it yelling out "Merry Christmas, SpongeBob!"
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Hilo March - The Hawaiian Serenaders [Title card]
‣ Film Fanfare (a) - Dick Stephen Walter [Patrick appears]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Secret box?"]
‣ SpongeBob Closing Theme - Steve Belfer, Nicolas Carr ["Hands off, Peeping Bob."]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob telling Patrick all his secrets]
‣ Enigma Vibe 2 - Nicolas Carr [spilled milk]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob's "secret stuff"]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [Patrick looking inside his secret box]
‣ ? [drum roll]
‣ Dramatic Climax - Mike Sunderland ["Nobody must know the mystery of the box!"]
‣ Like Strange - Kenny Graham ["Not even... Squidward's house!"]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [shot of Best Friends Forever ring]
‣ South Pacific Island II - Victor Cavini ["I feel so filthy."]
‣ Ulkereien - Gerhard Trede ["After all, this is a pretty great secret."]
‣ House of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [SpongeBob worried about what's in the box]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell ["How do you look into a secret box?"]
‣ Kommissar X - Gerhard Trede [SpongeBob sneaks into Patrick's house]
‣ Footsteps of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [Patrick sleeping/Wall starts to crack/Nail falls off/SpongeBob makes a loud noise upon touching the floor/SpongeBob steps on a potato chip/SpongeBob steps making loud noises again/Patrick falls back to sleep/SpongeBob trips on a shoestring/Box lands on SpongeBob]
‣ Danger Zone - Mike Sunderland [Patrick wakes up]
‣ English Country Garden - Curtis Schwartz ["It's the Best Friends Forever, Best Friends Forever ring!"]
‣ Paradise Isle - Jan Rap ["How could you do this?!"]
‣ Revelation - Dick Stephen Walter [SpongeBob looks inside the box]
• Steel Licks 10 - Jeremy Wakefield [secret string]
‣ Like Strange - Kenny Graham [Patrick laughing]
‣ Jingle Bells - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode is available on the Halloween, Complete 2nd Season, First 100 Episodes, The Complete Second Season, Holidays with SpongeBob 3-DVD Gift Set, The First & Second Seasons, The Best 200 Episodes Ever and SpongeBob and Friends: Patrick SquarePants DVDs.
- This episode is referenced in the song "Under My Rock."
- According to an interview with Stephen Hillenburg found here, the idea for this episode came from this quote:
"The idea came to Drymon because he, too, had a secret box as a child." "He started telling us about it. We wanted to make fun of him and use it."
- This episode premiered in Canada on January 18, 2002.
- This is the first episode to use a real image as part of the title card instead of a drawn one.
- This is the first episode in which Gary speaks. In "Sleepy Time," he only spoke in a dream.
- According to The Ultimate SpongeBob SpongeBash, Victoria Justice rated this episode as her favorite.
- This episode reveals that SpongeBob and Patrick have been friends since they were babies.
- This episode reveals Gary can speak.
- It is revealed Squidward's house can move on its own.
- The design of old SpongeBob seen in SpongeBob's fantasy of Patrick and himself being old is used again in "Goo Goo Gas."
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Supertajne pudełko," which translates to "The Super Secret Box."
- This episode takes place after "Christmas Who?" because in this episode, SpongeBob references a Christmas party, and in "Christmas Who?" he doesn't know what Christmas is.
- In the 2005 movie War of the Worlds, Rachel, Tom Cruise's daughter, is shown watching this episode on TV. However, the audio and video are out of sync.
- This is one of two episodes to have just Tom Kenny and Bill Fagerbakke as the voice actors. The other is "Rise and Shine."
- When SpongeBob breaks the portrait of him and Patrick at Patrick's house. It signifies the consequences of stealing the box and what happens next as Patrick threatens to end their friendship.
- Patrick's line "Duh!" and his face made when saying the line are popular internet memes.
- A lot of scenes from this episode have been used for YouTube Poops.
- The end of the episode is foreshadowed earlier in the episode when Patrick pulls on SpongeBob's tongue, just like how he pulls the string on his secret box.
- Irony: The loud noises don't wake Patrick up but he wakes up when SpongeBob quietly says that he's a heavy sleeper.
- The French title of this episode is "La Boite Aux Secrets" or "The Box of Secrets."
- This is the second episode where SpongeBob is revealed to have shoes with shoelaces. The first was "Your Shoe's Untied."
- The embarrassing snapshot of SpongeBob at the Christmas party became a fan theory; two images were posted on the official SpongeBob SquarePants account on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
- However, a lot of SpongeBob fans thought that the embarrassing photo was from "Christmas Who?".
- Patrick says "Hands off, peeping Bob!," which is likely a reference to the phrase "peeping Tom."
- When Patrick mistakes SpongeBob for the Clam-burglar, this name is likely a parody of the McDonald's character Hamburglar.
- Squidward's house is missing near the end of this episode. This also occurs in "InSPONGEiac."
- The potato chip on the floor that SpongeBob steps on is present in one scene, but in another scene, it is missing.
- When Patrick says, "And to think we joined the 'Best Friends Forever' club?!," his purple eyelids disappear.
- Before Patrick mentions Squidward's house, SpongeBob has double the freckles on his cheek than he normally does.
- When SpongeBob gathers the "secret" stuff, he goes towards Patrick's house, not his own.
- When the screen shakes, there is a light blue border. This error also occurs in "Welcome to the Chum Bucket" and "Band Geeks."
- In the opening credits, the 'k' in Carson Kugler's name is lowercase instead of capitalized. This also happens again in "Welcome to the Chum Bucket" and "Procrastination."
- Every time SpongeBob steps on or bounces onto Patrick's house floor, it causes a loud noise.
|Awards and nominations for SpongeBob SquarePants (V • E)
Golden Reel Awards