- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Scary mustache guy (debut)
- Patrick Star
- Spiders (mentioned)
- Gary the Snail
- French narrator
- Realistic Fish Head
- Perch Perkins
- Eugene H. Krabs (cameo)
- Confess-A-Bear (debut)
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 65
- Incidental 46
During the annual jellyfish migration, SpongeBob and Patrick go to Jellyfish Fields to see several rare and exotic species of jellyfish. The two begin jellyfishing, with SpongeBob using Ol' Reliable. At the end of the day, SpongeBob was very successful while Patrick was unable to catch anything. SpongeBob boasts the superiority of his net to Patrick, who claims he would kill to own a net like that. The following morning, SpongeBob finds Ol' Reliable missing and begins panicking, posting missing jellyfish-net posters all over town with a promise of a reward, even interrupting the local news to announce this. Mr. Krabs watches the announcement and agrees to find Ol' Reliable, but only for the reward.
SpongeBob is unsuccessful in his search and gives up on finding Ol' Reliable. That night, he sees Patrick happily playing with his jellyfishing net before he goes to bed, and when SpongeBob realizes that Patrick's net disintegrated yesterday, he believes that Patrick has stolen Ol' Reliable. The following morning, SpongeBob gives Patrick a Confess-a-Bear to try to make Patrick confess that he took the missing net. Patrick does not mention this--but does say he knocked SpongeBob's toothbrush into his toilet and put it back on the counter without washing it, stopping the conversation and making a horrified SpongeBob rub his tongue in disgust. Later on, SpongeBob goes to Patrick's rock to talk and sees Patrick's shadow with a net. But Patrick still shows no sign of the net.
The next day, SpongeBob pretends to go to work, but actually spies on Patrick for eight hours, but he sees nothing but Patrick standing still. He eventually sees Patrick carrying a box and uses a false mustache to disguise himself as a man who is interested in purchasing what is inside the box for $1 billion. Patrick says he would not sell it for any price because it is his friend SpongeBob's, and SpongeBob stops him right there, finally believing it was Patrick while taking off his mustache. Since Patrick did not realize it was him in disguise, SpongeBob points this out to him. Patrick questions his reasons for it as SpongeBob accuses him of stealing his net as Patrick defends himself as his friend but SpongeBob insults him and brings up his earlier sentence. Patrick then finishes that sentence, saying "...gift." To his great surprise, it is revealed that the box contains a net built by Patrick for SpongeBob to replace Ol' Reliable with. SpongeBob is torn between gratitude for Patrick's generosity and guilt for accusing his friend falsely.
Patrick gets upset at SpongeBob for ever suspecting him, and prepares to leave Bikini Bottom. The bus arrives, and Patrick is about to climb aboard when SpongeBob grabs hold of him, begging his friend not to go while pleading earnestly for Patrick's forgiveness. The bus driver demands to know what the hold-up is, and when he sees that it is SpongeBob and Patrick, he gives SpongeBob Ol' Reliable, saying he left the net on the bus.
To make up for his accusations against Patrick, SpongeBob gives Ol' Reliable to his friend. Patrick is utterly overwhelmed by this gesture, and immediately decides to forgive SpongeBob for his thoughtlessness, and stay in Bikini Bottom after all. Everyone on the bus cheers, much to the chagrin of the bus driver, who claims that the two do this kind of thing all the time. SpongeBob and Patrick then run off to Jellyfish Fields together to enjoy their new nets during the last days of the jellyfish migration.
This section is in need of cleanup in order to comply with Encyclopedia SpongeBobia's Manual of Style. Please help Encyclopedia SpongeBobia by making this section specific and short.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Blue Danube - Fiachra Trench, Johann Strauss I [SpongeBob and Patrick jellyfishing]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [Patrick's net disintegrates]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob's net is missing]
‣ Dramatic Cue (a) - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob screams]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [one pair of pants later]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer ["Patrick, Ol' Reliable's been stolen!"]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'm all done."]
‣ Bikini Bottom News Theme - Nicolas Carr [news on TV]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Attention, Bikini Bottom! My jellyfishing net has been stolen!"]
‣ Keel Row - Brian Peters ["I am prepared to offer a large reward for its safe return."]
• Steel Licks 16 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Guys, I know it's a slow news day, but come on."]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell [Patrick calling SpongeBob]
‣ What's This Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob looks outside]
• Steel Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Patrick's lucky."]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob's eyes open]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [the next morning/Patrick laughs]
‣ Toy Piano - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob gives Patrick Confess-a-Bear/"Oh, maybe you should talk about it."]
‣ House of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [SpongeBob screaming]
‣ Toy Piano - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["You're mad at me, aren't you, Confess-a-Bear?"]
• Steel Licks 3 - Jeremy Wakefield [later]
‣ Terror by Night - Hubert Clifford ["I'm not decent! The house is a mess! There's a radiation leak!"]
• Gator - Steve Belfer [Patrick is nervous]
‣ Spongeburglar - Nicolas Carr ["Patrick wouldn't steal Ol' Reliable... would he?"]
‣ Against the Law (c) - Wilfred William Burns ["I would kill for a net like that."]
• Closing the Door - Nicolas Carr ["I must know for sure."]
‣ Spindlelegs - Cedric King-Palmer ["Good morning, Patrick."]
‣ Mission Improbable - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob spies on Patrick]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["What are you doing?"]
‣ Mission Improbable - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["You're acting weird."]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Okay, bye!"]
‣ The King's Codpiece - Paddy Kingsland [SpongeBob with a fake mustache]
‣ Unknown Track 37 - Nicolas Carr ["I will pay one billion dollars for that net."]
‣ Tales from the Swamp (c) - Ron Goodwin ["Aha!"]
• Seaweed - Steve Belfer ["Patrick, I'm the scary mustache guy!"]
‣ Hawaiian Flower - Jon Jelmer [Patrick made SpongeBob a new net]
‣ Fates - Gregor F. Narholz [Patrick's about to leave]
‣ Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob left his net on the bus]
‣ Whisper from the Past [#64] - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob gives his net to Patrick]
‣ Romeo & Juliet Overture - Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky, Fiachra Trench [SpongeBob and Patrick hug]
• Wahini Wobble - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode is available on the Season 4 Volume 2, The Third & Fourth Seasons, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, Complete Fourth Season, First 100 Episodes, and the Turkish version of the Nautical Nonsense and Sponge Buddies DVDs.
- This episode was released on the Season 4 Volume 2 DVD box set before it aired on American television.
- This is one of the episodes that aired during the "Patrick for President" marathon, along with "Driven to Tears," "Rule of Dumb," "The Gift of Gum," "Rise and Shine," "Waiting," and "Sing a Song of Patrick."
- The title card background is similar to those of "Jellyfishing" and "Jellyfish Jam."
- The jellyfish on the title card have no spots.
- Ol' Reliable was previously used as the name of SpongeBob's jellyfish net in "Nature Pants." However, in that episode, the jellyfish net was made from traditional bamboo, whereas the one shown in this episode has more advanced technology built into it with carbon fiber handle, titanium alloy netting, and form-fitting silicone grips.
- Also in that episode Patrick snaps the net in half in failing to catch SpongeBob therefore the Ol' Reliable net that appears in this episode is a new one as the net Patrick broke was likely Ol' Reliable.
- Patrick's fear of spiders from "Home Sweet Pineapple" returns in this episode when he says he would not kill spiders because he thinks they are "icky."
- When SpongeBob and Patrick are heading home, SpongeBob does not have his net with him, which hints that he left it on the bus.
- This is the first episode to show Patrick's house with stairs.
- It is revealed in this episode that Patrick can stand in the same spot for eight hours straight.
- It is revealed SpongeBob leaves Ol' Reliable on the bus every week.
- In the Welsh dub, the episode name is "Y Lleidr Llechwraidd," which translates to "The Stealth Thief."
- This and its sister episode "Squid Wood" aired on MTV in January 2016. This is notable because SpongeBob SquarePants episodes are rarely aired on that channel.
- The episode title is a parody of The Pink Panther.
- The name Confess-A-Bear is a reference to the plush shop Build-A-Bear.
- When SpongeBob catches a swarm of the rare jellyfish, they turn into a normal run-of-the-mill jellyfish when they are in the net.
- When SpongeBob catches a jellyfish while doing a flip, the actual net is not attached to Ol' Reliable's ring. The end of the net itself is off-screen as if the net continued motion without SpongeBob or Ol' Reliable.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick arrive at their houses and SpongeBob opens his door, there is a duplicate door behind it.
- While SpongeBob spies on Patrick having fun with a net, he views Patrick's house from an impossible angle, because Squidward's house is directly between their houses, which is shown in the view of all the houses from the rear side.
- The hinge on Patrick's house is in a different position when SpongeBob first sees him with a new net than when he confronts him with a mustache.
- When Patrick holds SpongeBob's new net and says "Gift," his freckles are not colored in.
- When SpongeBob picks up Patrick's jellyfish net that Patrick made for him, SpongeBob's top left hole is outlined with black for a split second.
- After the bus takes off at the end, one of the passengers' faces changes color.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|