- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Bikini Bottomites
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 69
- Incidental 82
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 67
- Incidental 23
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 73
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 39
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 4
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 42
- Old Man Walker
- Unnamed anchovies
- Incidental 93
- Incidental 105
- Incidental 40
- One of the trash inspectors
- Incidental 114
- Incidental 107
- R.A. PennyPincher
- The Empty Head Society (debut)
- F.E.M.A. (debut)
- Sandy Cheeks
- DoodleBob (cameo as a drawing)
- Man Ray (cameo as a drawing)
- Squidward Tentacles (cameo as a drawing)
- Larry the Lobster (cameo)
- Gary the Snail (cameo as a picture on the Snail-Po truck)
The episode begins with SpongeBob and Patrick driving out of Barg'N-Mart on a unicycle and landing into an area full of boxes. Patrick tells SpongeBob he's going to his club meeting. SpongeBob is intrigued about this club, so Patrick tells him the club is the Empty Head Society. SpongeBob decides to join, so the two go inside one of the boxes and see the club in its entirety. The two give their brains at the door and soon afterwards, the Empty Heads have a meeting.
Everyone goes to the meeting and the Ice Cream King is revealed to be the club president who started the meeting. He gets his secretary to read the minutes and then asks if there are any new recruits at the club. Patrick tells SpongeBob to go as he wanted to join the club, so he goes up on the stage. The ice cream king checks to see if SpongeBob is dumb enough, and then tells everyone to pass a jar of saliva while SpongeBob drinks lemonade. However, SpongeBob thinks their referring to the jar of saliva, and drinks that, causing everyone to get disgusted.
The ice cream king announces that it's time to help the citizens of Bikini Bottom, the even being called the "Nitwitting." The Empty Heads sing a song about them being empty heads and then go out to do their civic duty. However, the Empty Heads end up hurting Bikini Bottom more than help them, making SpongeBob ask if what the Empty Heads are doing counts as civic duty. Patrick doesn't think about this comment very seriously, so SpongeBob continues the "Nitwitting" with the other Empty Heads.
After SpongeBob makes a comment that the Ice Cream King finds to show that he isn't dumb, he feels that he isn't Empty Head material. SpongeBob eventually loses his last brain stem and becomes completely brainless. He starts to act goofy and do many awkward things, and soon ends up walking into a dark alley alone. Patrick finds SpongeBob in the alley and tells him he found his brain, though he just brought a bunch of brains inside a jar. SpongeBob finds his brain and eventually returns to his normal self. SpongeBob decides that he wants to fix the wreck the Empty Heads made, but it turns out everything was cleaned by Sandy and FEMA, the club she is a part of. The episode ends with the Empty Heads crashing into SpongeBob and Sandy, singing the Empty Heads song once again.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Shop-O-Rama - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez [Opening at Barg'N-Mart]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick riding on a unicycle]
• Gator - Steve Belfer ["I still don't understand why you had me wear a blindfold."]
‣ Danse Comique - Kenny Graham [Patrick tells SpongeBob about his club]
‣ Comikarama - Dennis Farnon [SpongeBob and Patrick enter at the clubhouse]
‣ Corny Playoff - Wally Asp [Ice Cream King walks up to the stage]
‣ Mr Wobbly - Norman Dane [Ice Cream King's secretary reads the minutes]
‣ Fight! Fight! Fight! A - Will Schaefer [Ice Cream King kicks his secretary off the stage]
‣ Slap and Tickle - Roger Roger [SpongeBob walks up to the stage]
‣ ? - "It's time to pass the jar!"
‣ Zoom D - Dick De Benedictis [Club members spitting in the jar]
‣ Evil Mind 4 - Dick De Benedictis [Club members spitting in the jar]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob drinks the jar of spit with disgust]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 14 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob burps]
‣ Flash Harry - Dick Walter [SpongeBob wins another badge]
• Proud to be a Hillbilly - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["It's now time to go out in the community and help the citizens of Bikini Bottom by doing our civic duty."]
◦ The Nitwitting Song - Kaz Prapuolenis, Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Club members sing this]
‣ Ride of the Valkyries - Richard Wagner [All of club members riding on mini boats through Bikini Bottom]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 30 - Jeremy Wakefield [At bowling alley]
• Greenhorn Rag - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Club members doing "civic duty" in Bikini Bottom]
• Charge - Nicolas Carr [Patrick hits parking meter with baseball bat]
‣ Jubilee Sports - Dennis Berry, Stuart Crombie [SpongeBob replacing destroyed parking meters with soup bowls]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 26 - Jeremy Wakefield [Charlie throws a penny into the bowl of soup]
‣ Slippery Sid - Roger Roger [Patrick puts a garbage can over his head]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 9 - Jeremy Wakefield ["I guess I'm just not Empty Head material."]
‣ Slippery Sid - Roger Roger ["My name's Buddy now?"]
• Seaweed - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob's head short-circuits]
‣ Shock - Cornelus Joh Bolten [SpongeBob's face begins to deform]
‣ Pig and Whistle - Paul Gerard [SpongeBob becomes brainless]
‣ Gorgeous Girl - Kurt Schick [SpongeBob talking to a lady]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 5 - Jeremy Wakefield [Lady hits SpongeBob with her purse and runs away]
• Blue Tide - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob walks into an alley and tries to sit down on a chair]
‣ Danse Comique - Kenny Graham ["Obviously not the sharpest tool in the... tool thing."]
• Stupid Plan - Steve Belfer [Patrick gives SpongeBob his brain back]
• Unknown Track 37 - Nicolas Carr ["I'm ready! I'm ready!"]
• Pineapple Luau - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob decides to repair all the damage]
‣ Jovial Jack - Philippe Pares ["Hey, you'd better hurry, because you're getting smaller!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 38 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob runs out of the alley]
‣ Fraidy Cat - Fredric Bayco [SpongeBob sees everything has turned back to normal]
‣ Alekoki - Kapono Beamer [Sandy cleaned everything up]
‣ Porky the Pig - Phillip Cardew [Club members riding on mini boats again]
◦ The Nitwitting Song - Kaz Prapuolenis, Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Club members sing this again]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 19 DVD.
- This episode was originally titled "Village Idiots."
- Many of the graffiti seen in the alley are references.
- Graffiti of DoodleBob appears on the corner of a building.
- A graffiti of Man Ray appears on the wall.
- Man Ray appears similarly to Kilroy.
- The "Squidward Smells" graffiti from the Krusty Krab dumpster in "Sailor Mouth" and "Mall Girl Pearl" reappears.
- "I'M DIRTY DAN" is shown, but it is spelled as "I'M DIRTY DAH," referencing "Survival of the Idiots."
- Other graffiti tags include "KRABS," "Chum Bucket
4 LifeSTINKS!," "MY LEG" and "Man Ray was Here."
- A Kelp Shake from "Best Frenemies" returns in this episode.
- When this episode premiered, it was paired with a rerun of "FarmerBob."
- The title card music is the same as the Laurel and Hardy theme.
- "Gorgeous Girl" plays for the first time since "Goodbye, Krabby Patty?"
- The titular location from "Larry's Gym" returns except it is now a generic gym and the anchor on the sign is gone.
- At the crossing where the shark draws smiles on the lights, the garbage truck and one of the trash inspectors from "Sanitation Insanity" can be seen.
- The fourth wall is broken at the end of the episode when Patrick rides into the camera and it shatters.
- Coincidentally, this and its sister episode "The Ballad of Filthy Muck" both are Patrick related.
- The F.E.M.A. acronym is a reference to FEMA, or the Federal Emergency Management Agency in the United States.
- The Man Ray graffiti is a reference to the famous Kilroy was here graffiti.
- This is the series' second reference to Kilroy. The first was in "Teacher's Pests."
- In the French dub, the G from the Barg'N-Mart's sign is missing.
- Dave Cunningham was credited as the supervising director in the original airing, when it is actually Adam Paloian. This error has now been fixed.
- SpongeBob is a darker shade of yellow when he gets out the saliva jar.
- When singing "The Nitwitting Song," Patrick's tooth turns yellow for a frame.