- Squidward Tentacles
- Incidental M3 (debut)
- Incidental 108
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 41
- King Neptune (mentioned)
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 14
- Gene Scallop (debut)
- Bob Preflumster (debut)
- Barbara (debut)
- Kittens (debut)
- Incidental 67
- Incidental 47
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 37B
- Goat (mentioned)
- Incidental 105
- Incidental 107
- Incidental 30
- Incidental 65
- Incidental 37A
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 63
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 2
- Incidental 3
- Incidental 8
- Incidental 106
- Incidental 13
- Incidental 12
- Incidental 5
- Incidental 4
- Incidental 9
- Incidental 25
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 10
- Incidental 68
- Incidental 73
- Incidental 93
- Incidental 151
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 150
- Incidental 36
- Incidental 152
- Incidental 102
- Incidental 69
- Incidental 23
- Incidental 104
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 155
- Incidental 84
- Old Man Walker
- Incidental 17
- Mrs. Tentacles (mentioned as "mother")
- Incidental 153
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 60
- Incidental 85
- Incidental 119
- Bikini Bottom prison guard
- Horace A. Whopper (debut)
- Incidental 94
- Incidental 21
One day at the Krusty Krab, Squidward notices that SpongeBob is not filling orders, so he goes to investigate with Mr. Krabs in the beginning of the episode. Mr. Krabs discovers that SpongeBob has the "1,000-yard stare" before asking him what the problem is. They then discover a mini-calendar in his hat that has the current date circled, and it said "Important food critic visits Krusty Krab." Squidward remarks only a moron would worry about that, in which both Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob are both in shock. Squidward states his point was proven and leaves.
Soon, Gene Scallop (the food critic) walks through the doors. As he is having his first glimpse of the restaurant, Squidward rudely talks to him, and nearly drives him away with other rude comments. Mr. Krabs stops him and SpongeBob serves him a Krabby Patty. Gene then takes a bite and leaves the restaurant, causing Mr. Krabs to lose hope.
SpongeBob, Mr. Krabs, and Squidward watch as Gene gives his review on the Krusty Krab, only to soil it. He says that the Krusty Krab smells "like the rear end of a goat" and that "you could find livelier help in a graveyard." The customers hear the review and begin to leave in displeasure. However, an excited Gene says that the Krusty Krab is a big success because of the Krabby Patty he had and SpongeBob is no square when it comes to cooking, ending with a good review. The customers come back pleased and prepared to eat. With things okay, SpongeBob is relieved and goes to cook while Mr. Krabs gets a money-making idea.
The next day, SpongeBob goes to work and sees a new sign at the Krusty Krab, reading "The Krusty Sponge." He also sees a long line and Squidward in a SpongeBob costume as the restaurant's mascot. SpongeBob is oblivious to the costume and compliments him on his shoes, but Squidward immediately scares him off with a hiss. Tyler the fish asks Squidward for his autograph, but Squidward says no because he has no use of his arms, and he accidentally slaps Tyler, disappointing Mr. Krabs, especially when he wouldn't pay for an autograph. Mr. Krabs then assigns Squidward to cook while SpongeBob finds out that his new job is to run a train outside the Krusty Krab, which Mr. Krabs charges customers to ride.
Mr. Krabs has Squidward cook and bathes in his money before Squidward tells him of a delivery man here to see him. It is shown he has continued to order more SpongeBob-related items such as drinking straws, coasters, bibs, ice cubes, and other things as Squidward questions if he is going too far. Mr. Krabs insists Squidward while showing clear signs of delusion, and later has Squidward (who has managed to cook) serve the new Spongy Patties, which are actually tainted Krabby Patties that look like SpongeBob since they couldn't fit in the fridge with the ice cubes. When Squidward questions him on serving rotten meat, Krabs at first seems to realize his point before he doubles the price for them.
When SpongeBob is out of energy from driving the train, he stops pedaling, but his passengers do not care in the slightest at how obviously exhausted he is and believe that he is an impersonator of SpongeBob. They soon threaten to riot if not given a ride. Using this distraction, SpongeBob manages to slip away after putting his statue in his place. He enters the Krusty Krab and discovers Mr. Krabs had gotten all kinds of new products customized to look like SpongeBob.
He also discovers that the new Spongy Patties are making people sick by turning them yellow with green spots (resembling SpongeBob) and giving them terrible stomach pains. SpongeBob gets Mr. Krabs to come out and when he sees the customers, he thinks he is invaded by zombies who want to eat his money and tries to protect his fortune. However, SpongeBob stops him and explains they are actually his customers who ate the Spongy Patties. A customer eats his sick friend's patty and is disgusted. He confronts Mr. Krabs over it and the latter meekly explains it's a Spongy patty before the customer gets sick as well. A distraught SpongeBob tells Mr. Krabs that he has poisoned all of his customers with the rotten patties. Mr. Krabs is shocked and guilty as he realizes what he has done. Before he can fix his mistake, he is immediately arrested by the angry customer who is actually a cop.
In court, Mr. Krabs feels remorseful and guilty about his actions. The jury, headed by Gene Scallop, finds him guilty, and Mr. Krabs accepts the charges. Just as Mr. Krabs is about to go to prison, he realizes the Judge has a SpongeBob gavel, and he turns out to be a huge SpongeBob fan. Mr. Krabs makes a deal with the judge that SpongeBob goes back to cooking while Squidward has to ride the Judge around on the Krusty Sponge Fun Train for the rest of the day if Mr. Krabs does not want to go to prison. Squidward depressingly drives the Judge around, and the Krusty Krab returns to normal, as the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Drunken Sailor - Nicolas Carr [title card]
‣ The Achterhoek Dances - Jan Rap [opening]
• New Vibe Hits 2007 - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob not moving]
• The Pollywog Strut - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Well, his spatula's still warm."]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney [Krabs enters]
‣ Someone Coming - Raymond C. Jones ["He's got the thousand-yard stare."]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Important food critic visits Krusty Krab?!"]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob and Krabs shivering]
‣ High Noon - John Anthony [Gene Scallop enters]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band ["Well, hello!"]
‣ High Noon - John Anthony [Gene walks up to the register]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [Gene's about to leave]
‣ The Gunfighter - Franco Micalizzi, Roberto Predagio [SpongeBob makes Gene a Krabby Patty]
• Bikini Bottom News Theme - Nicolas Carr [news on TV]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [customers start to leave]
‣ Keel Row - Brian Peters [Gene praises SpongeBob]
‣ Hollywood Glitz [#12] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [new sign]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band ["Just making a few cosmetic changes."]
‣ Captain Lenoe's - The Folk Players ["Captain! My spatula is missing, sir!"]
• Steel Licks 10 - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs puts Squidward on grill duty]
• SpongeBob SquarePants Theme - train ride
• Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward in the kitchen]
• SpongeBob SquarePants Theme - SpongeBob getting tired at the train ride
• Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward enters Mr. Krabs' office]
‣ The Rake Hornpipe - Robert Alexander White [boxes of SpongeBob merchandise]
‣ The Achterhoek Dances - Jan Rap [rotten yellow patties]
• SpongeBob SquarePants Theme - SpongeBob gets tired at the train ride
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [everyone yelling at SpongeBob]
‣ Furtive Footsteps - Paddy Kingsland [SpongeBob sneaks away]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob screams]
‣ House of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [zombies]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [Krabs having dinner with his money]
‣ Cellar Search - Philippe Pares ["Great Neptune's mother's stockings!"]
• Steel Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield [sick customers]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford ["Mr. Krabs, what have you done?"]
• Steel Licks 9 - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs arrested]
‣ People's Court - Alan Stanley Tew [Krabs in court]
‣ Funeral Music - Alfred Kluten [Krabs found guilty]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr ["Eh, hang on a second there, judge."]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Permission to approach the bench, Your Honor."]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [SpongeBob back in the kitchen]
• SpongeBob SquarePants Theme - ending
- This episode is available on the Season 5 Volume 1, SpongeBob's Atlantis SquarePantis, SpongeBob's Pest of the West (UK version), First 100 Episodes, Really Big Box Set, SpongeBob's Legendary Adventures, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 7, The SpongeBob Super Square Collection, Complete Fifth Season, From the Beginning, Part 2, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, Welcome Aboard, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, Favorite Episodes Volume 2, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- This episode was paired up with "Squid Wood" during the original American airing, but has since been re-airing with "Sing a Song of Patrick."
- This episode's title card has a plate, even though it fits another season 5 episode, "The Krusty Plate," more, which has a similar title.
- The calendar in SpongeBob's Krusty Krab employee hat has a lion on it. This is the Zodiac sign Leo, which indicates it was between July and August 23.
- When it is revealed that SpongeBob is petrified because he is worried about an important food critic's visit, Squidward says, "Only a complete moron would worry about what some critic has to say." In other episodes, Squidward himself is worried about what other critics have to say about his art.
- Gene Scallop has a similar appearance to the DJ in the Thug Tug from The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.
- Despite his last name, Gene Scallop is not actually a scallop.
- According to the episode's Bubble Burst Trivia Facts found on Season 5 Volume 1 DVD special features, Gene Scallop could have been named Gene Shallots, since shallots are also food.
- The sign next to Squidward says, "As Seen on TV," a reference to the episode of the same name.
- The SpongeBob costume that Squidward wears is based on the actual SpongeBob costume, since he is unable to use his actual arms like the real costume and its arms are like sticks.
- The music heard at the Krusty Sponge Fun Train is a carnival version of the SpongeBob SquarePants Theme Song.
- When Mr. Krabs escorts the SpongeBob boxes into his kitchen, he is seen spazzing, as to indicate that he either pulled a muscle or cracked his back.
- This was first seen and mentioned in "The Lost Mattress."
- The combination of spots and yellow skin is a reference to chickenpox and yellow fever, both of which show symptoms on a person's skin similar to the effects of Pretty Patties in the episode "Patty Hype."
- Bikini Bottomites thought they were zombies before in the episode "Once Bitten."
- The changes Mr. Krabs made were:
- This is the first episode with the Bikini Bottom News to feature news crew members other than the Realistic Fish Head and Perch Perkins.
- This is the second time Mr. Krabs goes to court. The first was in "Krabs vs. Plankton."
- In the Bahasa Malaysia dub, the word "prison" is replaced with "river."
- In the Welsh dub, Gene Scallop is named Dudley Dwr.
- In the Croatian dub, this episode is called "Spužva Bobova Poslastica," which would translate, if it was the name of the restaurant "SpongeBob's Confectionery."
- In the Taiwanese Mandarin dub, this episode is called "爆紅大明星," which translates to "Popular Star."
- Gene Scallop is a parody of Gene Shalit and is portrayed by him as well. They both have similar appearances.
- The Krusty Sponge's monument of a giant SpongeBob holding a giant Krabby Patty is a spoof of the Big Boy Restaurants chain.
- When Mr. Krabs is in the courtroom with the poisoned customers, the music from the reality TV show The People's Court can be heard.
- This episode seems to be a lampooning of Nickelodeon's over-reliance and commercialization of the series.
- In the beginning, Incidental 108 and Incidental 27 are standing behind Incidental M3, but in the next scene, Incidental 41 gets his order taken.
- When Squidward is hissing at SpongeBob, his mouth is shown, even though the part of the SpongeBob costume (the Krusty Krab employee hat) doesn't have a hole for it.
- Squidward in the SpongeBob costume is seen standing near the "As Seen on TV" sign, but when the kid comes to ask for his autograph, the sign is gone.
- Squidward's arms cannot move when he is trying to give the child an autograph while he is in the SpongeBob costume, but they can when the judge rides the Krusty Sponge Fun Train.
- It is possible that Squidward was able to learn how to move his arms at the end of the episode.
- When Mr. Krabs is showing Squidward the SpongeBob napkins, the lighter area of Incidental 105's body above his lips is miscolored like the rest of his body.
- When the train is first shown in the second to last car, Norma's daughter is gray, but in the next shot she is blue.
- When Mr. Krabs is talking about condiments, one of them reads "Tangy Sponge Sauce," but he calls it "Tangy Spongy Sauce" instead.
- When Squidward is cooking Krabby Patties with his nose, the grill is on the opposite side of the kitchen. Although, earlier in the episode, the grill is in its original area.
- It is likely that the grill was simply moved.
- Right before Mr. Krabs throws the Spongy Patty on the grill, his eyestalks are placed much farther down than usual.
- When Incidental 47 who suppose to be a female fish says, "That's the worst SpongeBob costume I've ever seen," she has a man's voice.
- Even though the Spongy Patties make the fish yellow with green spots, when Jimmy Gus is shown in the stands, he is normal with yellow spots.
- In the courtroom scene, Gene Scallop says: "We, the jury, find the defendant, Eugene A. Krabs, guilty of all charges," but Mr. Krabs' middle name starts with H. It is possible that since Gene Scallop doesn't know Krabs very well (other than poisoning his customers, including Gene Scallop himself), he thought A was Krabs' middle initial.
- At the end, with Squidward driving the Judge on the Krusty Sponge Fun Train, and SpongeBob behind the grill, it is not mentioned if there is still a cashier at the Krusty Krab.
- In the Welsh dub, Luke Brookshier, Tom King, and Steven Banks are all listed as writers of this episode, even though none of them wrote this episode.
- Brookshier and King are also erroneously listed as storyboard directors.
- This credit is actually for its sister episode, "Sing a Song of Patrick."
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|