- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs
- French Narrator
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Karen Plankton
- Chum monkey (debut)
- Sal (debut)
- Rusty Cab driver
- Dr. Kelpington
- Dr. Kelpington's snail
- Bikini Bottomites
The episode starts at the Krusty Krab, where some weird sounds are coming from Mr. Krabs' office, making some fish at the restaurant think he's in trouble. SpongeBob tries to save Mr. Krabs but the latter ends up slamming the door on him. SpongeBob is thankful Mr. Krabs is okay, but wonders why his stomach is making a sound. Mr. Krabs gets anxious and tells SpongeBob everything's okay and it's closing time, making him kick all the customers out. SpongeBob tells Mr. Krabs that he and Squidward don't want to leave early, while Squidward is running away happily.
Mr. Krabs runs off but SpongeBob finds a coin, which he wants to give back to Mr. Krabs. Mr. Krabs holds on to a taxi to the middle of nowhere and SpongeBob does too, but the latter ends up getting bruised from the trip. SpongeBob sees Mr. Krabs, scaring him since he didn't know he was going to show up. SpongeBob wonders why Mr. Krabs is here, when Sal gives him a bowl of chum, saying it's his usual and he should enjoy it. SpongeBob questions about all these things, making Krabs tell the truth.
Mr. Krabs tells a story about when he was in the navy and it was lunchtime, but he ended up sleeping too long. The younger Mr. Krabs walks to his ship only for the food to have all been eaten and the only thing left is chum. However, upon eating it, he ends up loving it and eats it all the time. After the story, Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob not to tell his love for chum anywhere, especially Plankton. When SpongeBob leaves, Mr. Krabs asks for more chum, but Sal decides to close the Slop Pail so he can become a movie star, which makes Mr. Krabs wonder where he'll eat his chum now.
Back at the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob is telling Mr. Krabs he's never made chum, and doesn't know the ingredients. Mr. Krabs tells him the ingredients through a whisper, grossing SpongeBob out. SpongeBob decides that he should make chum-free chum, so later, SpongeBob gives Mr. Krabs some samples of chum with different ingredients in them. Of them, they are chum with Krabby Patty flavoring, chum with snail litter in it, and chum made of wishes and love. However, Mr. Krabs doesn't like any of them as they don't taste like the chum he's used to.
Mr. Krabs walks against a brick wall, sad since the only chum-selling restaurant left is the Chum Bucket. He says he's got too much pride to go there, but ends up digging in a trash skin near the Chum Bucket for chum. Karen and Plankton come out and Mr. Krabs reveals himself. Plankton wonders what Krabs is doing here, which causes Mr. Krabs to try and make excuses, only to end up revealing his love for chum, which shocks Plankton. Karen is also shocked, but Plankton ends up using this to trick Mr. Krabs into giving the formula through offering him a lifetime supply of chum.
Mr. Krabs attempts to reject, but the chum monkey inside him goes towards the chum, but Plankton tells him he can't have it until he gives him the formula. Mr. Krabs goes to get it, but sees SpongeBob sleeping around the formula since he can't sleep and the formula comforts him. Mr. Krabs takes the formula and gets out, even though SpongeBob tries to stop him from doing so. Mr. Krabs goes into the Chum Bucket, where there is a humongous barrel with a ladder. Mr. Krabs asks where Plankton is, who says he's on top of the barrel.
When Mr. Krabs climbs the barrel, he sees the entire supply of chum within his reach. However, it turns out to be a trick and Plankton uses the Chum Bucket glove to smash Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob and get the formula in his hands. Mr. Krabs however wriggles out of the glove and tries to attack Plankton, only for the formula to slip out of the two's hands and sink into the chum. Plankton dives into the chum to get the formula, while Mr. Krabs mourns.
SpongeBob decides to encourage Mr. Krabs that Plankton is too tiny and would take a long time to get the formula, while if he just ate all the chum since he loves it so much, he'd get to the formula before Plankton does. This boosts Mr. Krabs' spirits and ends up eating all the chum in the barrel, making him extremely big. He burps out the formula and says he thinks he's lost his taste for chum, with a close-up of his tongue having gravestones being shown. Plankton ends up being eaten by Krabs though, so to pass the time, SpongeBob, Mr. Krabs, Karen, and the chum monkey watch a movie featuring Sal, the seller of chum from earlier, starring the movie. The episode ends with Plankton yelling inside Mr. Krabs to get him out of there, only for Karen to shush him.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Brickbat (Battle) - Laurie Johnson ["What was that?"]
‣ Dramatic Cue (c) - Ronald Hanmer ["I'll save you, Mr. Krabs!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (f) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Oh, Mr. Krabs, thank Neptune you're okay."]
‣ Drama Link (f) - Hubert Clifford [Krabs' stomach growls loudly again]
‣ Melodramatic Moments - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["I didn't hear nothing, everything's completely normal."]
‣ In Disguise Ensemble - [ProjectSAM Symphobia Colours: Animator] [Krabs locks the door of the Krusty Krab]
‣ Phrases - Is It Jazz - [ProjectSAM Symphobia Colours: Animator] ["Squidward and I don't want to leave work early. Right, Squidward?"]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["A nickel?"]
‣ All Cars and Thames! - Ralph Dollimore [Krabs goes under a taxi to The Slop Pail and SpongeBob follows him]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (i) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Sorry about all those speed bumps, kid. And the cactus patch and demolition derby."]
‣ Stealth by Night - Jack Coles [Krabs sitting on a table nervously outside the Slop Pail]
‣ Oh My Goodness - Benjamin Starnberg [Sal serves Krabs a plate of chum]
‣ Unknown Track 5 - Flashback of Krabs' old navy days
‣ Aloha - Dick Walter [Young Krabs eating chum for the first time at the ship]
‣ Scary Shivers - Sean Elder [Young Krabs eating chum while it was dumped into water]
‣ Daily Chores Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["I've eaten this stuff in secret for years now, just got a taste for it."]
‣ Oh My Goodness - Benjamin Starnberg [Sal tells Krabs he's closing The Slop Pail permanently]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [Krabs gasps]
‣ Stage Struck - Jack Parnell [Sal tells Krabs he's moving to Shell City to be a movie star]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (w) - Jeremy Wakefield ["But where will I get me chum from?"]
‣ A Fishy Conversation - Barry Anthony [Krabs tells SpongeBob the ingredients of the chum]
‣ Domestic Chores - Joseph Engleman [SpongeBob serves Krabs three different takes of chum to taste]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (n) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Oh, none of these are right, SpongeBob."]
‣ Crime and Danger Sign #11 - Hans Conzelmann, Delle Haensch [Krabs is sad at a brick wall]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs looking for chum at a trash can outside the Chum Bucket]
‣ Fraidy Cat - Fredric Bayco [Karen and Plankton come outside after hearing noises and discover Krabs]
‣ The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["What are you doing here?"]
‣ Zoom E - Dick De Benedictis ["Hold it. What's going on with you, Krabs?"]
‣ The Shock [#55.2] - Dick De Benedictis ["Your clothes are a mess and your stomach's making strange noises."]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney ["Say WHAT?!?"]
‣ Drama Link (o) - Hubert Clifford ["Look at me now! Digging through garbage for scraps!"]
‣ The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Plankton offers Krabs a lifetime supply of chum]
‣ Dramatic Impact 5 - Ivor Slaney ["...the Krabby Patty secret formula!"]
‣ Code "Dead End" - Gregor Narholz [Plankton tempts Krabs with a bowl of chum]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 4 - Fredric Bayco ["Ah ah ah, not until I have the formula."/Krabs enters his office]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Krabs discovers SpongeBob in his safe holding the secret formula]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["What are you doing here, SpongeBob?"]
‣ Luv a Duck - Marc Monsen, Tony Tape ["Oh, when I can't sleep, I come here to be close to the formula."]
‣ Crime and Danger Sign #11 - Hans Conzelmann, Delle Haensch [Krabs goes to the Chum Bucket with the secret formula and SpongeBob]
‣ Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [Krabs sees the lifetime supply of chum in an enormous barrel]
‣ Terror by Night - Hubert Clifford [Plankton smashes Krabs and SpongeBob with his restaurant's glove]
‣ Dramatic Cue (g) - Ronald Hanmer [Krabs lifts up the glove and attacks Plankton]
‣ Murder Scene - Alan Wynn [Formula falls to the barrel and sinks in chum]
‣ ? ["Plankton is tiny, and it'll take him forever to swim through that chum."]
‣ Bad Slide - [ProjectSAM Symphobia Colours: Animator] [Chum bubbles]
‣ A Pirate's Life for Me (a) - Ron Goodwin [Krabs eats all the lifetime supply]
‣ Oh My Goodness - Benjamin Starnberg [Krabs burps out the secret formula]
‣ Taps - ? [Tombstones on Krabs' taste buds for chum]
• Bikini Bottom Bound - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton inside Krabs' stomach]
‣ World in Action - Laurie Johnson [Ending at the movies]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 20 DVD.
- This marks the 500th episode segment of the series.
- This episode lasted many things.
- This was the last episode to air in 2019.
- This was the last episode to air in the 2010s decade.
- This was episode to be made in that year and this decade.
- This episode was paired up with "Plankton's Old Chum" during the original American airing, but has since been re-airing with "A Cabin in the Kelp."
- This along with "Plankton's Old Chum" premiered 23 years after Tiny Tim's death.
- This is the first time the track "Aloha" has played since "Good Neighbors."
- This is the first episode Steve Fonti worked on since "I Was a Teenage Gary."
- This is the second episode Gilbert Gottfried guest-stars in, with the first being "SpongeBob's Big Birthday Blowout."
- Shell City is mentioned by Sal when he says that he moves there to become a movie star. However, Shell City is a gift shop on a surface and not an average underwater city, so Sal would most likely be killed there.
- It is revealed that Mr. Krabs likes to eat chum secretly.
- When Mr. Krabs is digging in the trash, he throws out the robot game show host's head, a birthday cake, and a piano.
- After Mr. Krabs eats Plankton, Karen says, "It's not the first time this has happened." In "Plankton's Good Eye," Mr. Krabs thinks Plankton is a pickle and eats him.
- The face Mr. Krabs makes after he says that SpongeBob's chum is dry resembles his Great Grandpa Krabs.
- The shoe that Mr. Krabs dug out of the trash resembles the one Gary wore in "Your Shoe's Untied."
- The credits for this episode are similar to the credits for "The Grill is Gone," except Vincent and Marc were credited as co-executives.
- In the Russian dub, all narrator's and Plankton's lines got removed for an unknown reason. This mistake got fixed when the episode re-ran on Nick HD on March 25, 2020.
- Dr. Kelpington is a parody of Ernst Stavro Blofeld, a James Bond villain, and him strapping down Fred and vaporizing him with a laser references the James Bond film Goldfinger.
- When Plankton, Mr. Krabs, and SpongeBob scream while the secret formula is falling into the chum, Mr. Krabs' pupils are offset from his eyes for a frame.