- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs
- French Narrator
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Karen Plankton
- Chum monkey (debut)
- Sal (debut)
- Rusty Cab driver
- Dr. Kelpington
- Dr. Kelpington's snail
- Bikini Bottomites
The episode begins with Mr. Krabs' tummy growling as the customers of the Krusty Krab grow worried. He closes the restaurant and goes somewhere by going under a taxi, while SpongeBob follows him to give him a nickel he dropped.
It turns out Mr. Krabs has gone outside of Bikini Bottom to the Slop Pail, where he orders chum. SpongeBob sees that Mr. Krabs is eating chum and likes it, he doesn't understand why. Mr. Krabs tells a story about how during one of his navy days, he had overslept and was forced to eat chum due to being the only food left, and upon eating it, grew to love it.
SpongeBob promises to keep this a secret, and afterwards, the Slop Pail closes as the owner of the restaurant, Sal, wants to become a movie star. This leaves Mr. Krabs with no chum to eat that isn't from the Chum Bucket. Back at the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob makes several types of chum with different ingredients as he is unable to make the actual chum recipe. However, Mr. Krabs dislikes all of them.
Mr. Krabs tries to prevent himself from going to the Chum Bucket, but ends up searching for chum there anyways. Karen and Plankton come outside as they heard a noise, and eventually find out about Mr. Krabs' secret. Plankton gets a plan to offer a lifetime supply of chum to Mr. Krabs in exchange for the formula. Mr. Krabs' chum monkey goes for this offer immediately, and Mr. Krabs brings the formula, despite SpongeBob's warnings.
When Plankton takes the formula, he uses the Chum Bucket glove to prevent Mr. Krabs from taking his chum. However, he gets out and attacks Plankton, causing the formula to sink into the chum. Plankton decides to swim inside the chum to obtain the formula. SpongeBob tells Mr. Krabs that he should eat all the chum so he can reach the formula first, and he does so. He gets the formula, but gets extremely overweight and accidentally eats Plankton. To pass the time, Mr. Krabs, SpongeBob, and Karen watch Sal's latest movie in theaters.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Brickbat (Battle) - Laurie Johnson ["What was that?"]
‣ Dramatic Cue (c) - Ronald Hanmer ["I'll save you, Mr. Krabs!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 14 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Oh, Mr. Krabs, thank Neptune you're okay."]
‣ Drama Link (f) - Hubert Clifford [Krabs' stomach growls loudly again]
• Melodramatic Moments - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["I didn't hear nothing, everything's completely normal."/SpongeBob, Squidward and the customers get pushed out of the Krusty Krab]
‣ In Disguise Ensemble - [ProjectSAM Symphobia Colours: Animator] [Krabs locks the door of the Krusty Krab]
‣ Phrases - Is It Jazz - [ProjectSAM Symphobia Colours: Animator] ["Squidward and I don't want to leave work early. Right, Squidward?"]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["A nickel?"]
‣ All Cars and Thames! - Ralph Dollimore [Krabs goes under a taxi to The Slop Pail and SpongeBob follows him]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 12 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Sorry about all those speed bumps, kid. And the cactus patch and demolition derby."]
‣ Stealth by Night - Jack Coles [Krabs sitting on a table nervously outside the Slop Pail]
‣ Oh My Goodness - Benjamin Starnberg [Sal serves Krabs a plate of chum]
• Self Surf - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Flashback of Krabs' old navy days]
‣ Aloha - Dick Walter [Young Krabs eating chum for the first time at the ship]
‣ Scary Shivers - Sean Elder [Young Krabs eating chum while it was dumped into water]
• Daily Chores Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["I've eaten this stuff in secret for years now, just got a taste for it."]
‣ Oh My Goodness - Benjamin Starnberg [Sal tells Krabs he's closing The Slop Pail permanently]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [Krabs gasps]
‣ Stage Struck - Jack Parnell [Sal tells Krabs he's moving to Shell City to be a movie star]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 7 - Jeremy Wakefield ["But where will I get me chum from?"]
• A Fishy Conversation - Barry Anthony [Krabs tells SpongeBob the ingredients of the chum]
‣ Domestic Chores - Joseph Engleman [SpongeBob serves Krabs three different takes of chum to taste]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 3 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Oh, none of these are right, SpongeBob."]
‣ Crime and Danger Sign #11 - Hans Conzelmann, Delle Haensch [Krabs' sad at a brick wall]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs looking for chum at a trash can outside the Chum Bucket]
‣ Fraidy Cat - Fredric Bayco [Karen and Plankton come outside after hearing noises and discover Krabs]
• The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["What are you doing here?"]
‣ Zoom E - Dick De Benedictis ["Hold it. What's going on with you, Krabs?"]
‣ The Shock [#55.2] - Dick De Benedictis ["Your clothes are a mess and your stomach's making strange noises."]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney ["Say WHAT?!?"]
‣ Drama Link (o) - Hubert Clifford ["Look at me now! Digging through garbage for scraps!"]
• The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Plankton offers Krabs a lifetime supply of chum]
‣ Dramatic Impact 5 - Ivor Slaney ["...the Krabby Patty secret formula!"]
‣ Code "Dead End" - Gregor Narholz [Plankton tempts Krabs with a bowl of chum]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 4 - Fredric Bayco ["Ah ah ah, not until I have the formula."/Krabs enters his office]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Krabs discovers SpongeBob in his safe holding the secret formula]
• What the Huh Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["What are you doing here, SpongeBob?"]
‣ Luv a Duck - Marc Monsen, Tony Tape ["Oh, when I can't sleep, I come here to be close to the formula. It comforts me."]
‣ Crime and Danger Sign #11 - Hans Conzelmann, Delle Haensch [Krabs goes to the Chum Bucket with the secret formula and SpongeBob]
• Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [Krabs sees the lifetime supply of chum in an enormous barrel]
‣ Terror by Night - Hubert Clifford [Plankton smashes Krabs and SpongeBob with his restaurant's glove]
‣ Dramatic Cue (g) - Ronald Hanmer [Krabs lifts up the glove and attacks Plankton]
‣ Murder Scene - Alan Wynn [Formula falls to the barrel and sinks in the lifetime supply of chum]
‣ ? ["Plankton is tiny, and it'll take him forever to swim through that chum."]
‣ Bad Slide - [ProjectSAM Symphobia Colours: Animator] [Chum bubbles]
‣ A Pirate's Life for Me (a) - Ron Goodwin [Krabs eats all the lifetime supply chum to get the formula before Plankton]
‣ Oh My Goodness - Benjamin Starnberg [Krabs burps out the secret formula]
‣ Taps - Tombstones on Krabs' taste buds for chum
• Bikini Bottom Bound - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton is inside Krabs' stomach]
‣ World in Action - Laurie Johnson [Krabs, Chum Monkey, SpongeBob and Karen watching Sal's movie at the cinema]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 20 DVD.
- This episode was paired up with "Plankton's Old Chum" during the original American airing, but has since been re-airing with "A Cabin in the Kelp."
- This was the last episode to premiere in 2019 and the last to air during the 2010s decade.
- This marks the 500th episode segment of the series.
- This is the first time the track "Aloha" has played since "Good Neighbors."
- This is the first episode Steve Fonti has worked on since "I Was a Teenage Gary."
- This is the second episode Gilbert Gottfried guest-stars in, with the first being "SpongeBob's Big Birthday Blowout."
- Shell City is mentioned by Sal when he says that he moves there to become a movie star. However, Shell City is a gift shop on a surface and not an average underwater city, so Sal would most likely be killed there.
- It is revealed that Mr. Krabs likes to eat chum secretly.
- When Mr. Krabs is digging in the trash, he throws out the robot game show host's head, a birthday cake, and a piano.
- After Mr. Krabs eats Plankton, Karen says, "It's not the first time this has happened." In "Plankton's Good Eye," Mr. Krabs thinks Plankton is a pickle and eats him.
- The face Mr. Krabs makes after he says that SpongeBob's chum is dry resembles his Great Grandpa Krabs.
- The shoe that Mr. Krabs dug out of the trash resembles the one Gary wore in "Your Shoe's Untied."
- The credits for this episode are exactly the same as the credits for "The Grill is Gone," except that Vincent Waller and Marc Ceccarelli were credited as co-executive producers instead of supervising producers.
- Dr. Kelpington is a parody of Ernst Stavro Blofeld, a James Bond villain, and him strapping down Fred and vaporizing him with a laser references the James Bond film Goldfinger.
- When Plankton, Mr. Krabs, and SpongeBob scream while the secret formula is falling into the chum, Mr. Krabs' pupils are offset from his eyes for a frame.
- In the French dub, all the credits were incorrect, with the credits being taken from "Hiccup Plague."
- In the Russian dub, all narrator's and Plankton's lines got removed for an unknown reason. This mistake got fixed when the episode re-ran on Nick HD on March 25, 2020.