- Gary the Snail
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Incidental 154
- Squidward Tentacles
- Patrick Star
- Snellie (debut)
- Sandy Cheeks (2 cameos)
- Muscular fish on can of Strongman Powder
- Crowd laughing (heard only)
- Rocky (debut)
- Fish on "Yeah!" poster
- Snail on the "Built for Speed" poster
- Incidental 41 (2 cameos)
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 36
- Incidental 3
- Incidental 4
- Fred (cameo)
- Incidental 119
- Incidental 39
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 7 (cameo)
- Incidental 60 (cameo)
- Old Man Jenkins
- Incidental 17
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 20
- Incidental 81 (cameo)
- Incidental 21
- Incidental 5
- Incidental 16
- Incidental 69
- Incidental 23
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 47
- Incidental 45
- Sports guy
- Larry Luciano (debut)
- Incidental 40 (cameo)
- Incidental 13
- Incidental 64 (2 cameos)
- Trumpet player
- French narrator
- Paramedics (mentioned)
- Fire fish
SpongeBob wakes up, as well as Gary, as he blows a trumpet in his face. He tells the world he is ready. He sees Squidward getting a package in the mail. Squidward opens the cage, which contains a snail named Snellie. He explains that Snellie is a purebred of the highest pedigree and that she is going to be entered in the Bikini Bottom Snail Race on Sunday and she will win it. Upon hearing this, SpongeBob decides to enter Gary into the snail race. Patrick also decides to enter into the competition, albeit with his pet rock.
SpongeBob decides to train Gary as hard as he can before the big day. On the day of the race, Gary is exhausted from SpongeBob's brutal training. During the race, his eyes burst like a balloon, then his shell breaks open, revealing a car engine and he spins out of control, leaving skid marks. SpongeBob, seeing the error of his ways, tells Gary that he can stop now, but Gary keeps on going, loses control of himself, hits the wall, and explodes completely. An upset SpongeBob runs up to him onto the track, which the announcer says that it is an "automatic disqualification" and embraces him, crying.
Snellie, who is almost at the finish line, turns around to help Gary, and the two instantly fall in love. Squidward is shocked at this and walks onto the track. Squidward then sees that, much to his surprise, Patrick's rock won the race. Patrick is then very proud of his rock. Squidward is very upset by this, but Patrick then tells Squidward that he had the trophy engraved to him, and gives it to him, knowing how much Squidward wanted to win. Squidward thanks Patrick, but then reads the trophy, which reads "The 1st place Snail Racing cup presented to Squidward... TORTELLINI?!" He groans and asks if he will ever be lucky enough to win, and they all start laughing. Sandy suddenly appears onscreen kicking SpongeBob into the air for his sexist insult towards Gary yesterday as the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Fight! Fight! Fight! A - Will Schaefer [title card]
• ? [SpongeBob plays "Morning Song" on a horn]
‣ William Tell Overture - SpongeBob playing bugle
‣ Dancing the Hula - Kapono Beamer [Squidward's new snail]
‣ Apalachian Banjo Duel - Larry Hochman [" Gary's a mutt."]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [Gary imagines himself watching TV]
‣ Meet the Family - Alan Hawkshaw [Gary imagines himself watching TV]
‣ Deadline - Sam Spence ["Looks like we're gonna start our training now, ladies."]
‣ Astronauts March - Sam Spence [protein shake]
‣ Meet the Family - Alan Hawkshaw [Gary watching TV]
‣ Pell-Mell - Sam Spence [sprints]
‣ Meet the Family - Alan Hawkshaw [Gary watching TV again]
‣ Steve's March - Sam Spence [training montage]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [Gary is exhausted]
‣ The Zodiac - David Lindup [at the stadium]
‣ Fight! Fight! Fight! A - Will Schaefer [pre-game ceremony]
• Bad Marching Band - Brad Carow, Robert Lee Faust, Ira Nepus [tired band]
‣ Charge - Will Schaefer ["The torch is lit! Let the race begin!"]
‣ Open - Tom Hedden [pep talks]
‣ The Wild Bunch - Sam Spence [race starts]
‣ Dramatic Cue (g) - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob runs onto the track]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill ["Oh, Gary, I'm sorry!"]
‣ Romeo & Juliet Overture - Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky, Fiachra Trench [Snellie comforts Gary]
‣ Miss World (c) - Tony Kinsey [ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob Goes Prehistoric, Complete 3rd Season, Big Hits: Volume 2, Triple Pack 4, Where's Gary?, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, Easter with SpongeBob, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, Favorite Episodes, Favorite Episodes Volume 2, Double Feature Volume 2, Mighty Sporting of You, Snail's Meow, Exposed!: The Ultimate Box Set, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The Ultimate Box Set, From the Beginning, Pt.2, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 5, The Third & Fourth Seasons, First 100 Episodes, and Complete Third Season DVDs and on VideoNow.
- This episode is also on the SpongeBob Goes Prehistoric VHS (UK version).
- "The Great Snail Race" was ranked #35 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- The music played during the title card and when Lightning Larry is heading to light the torch is the tune to "Now That We're Men" from The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, which was released a year and a half after this episode premiered. It is titled "Fight! Fight! Fight! (a)" from the Sonoton library from Associated Production Music.
- According to sound designer Jeffery Hutchins, Gary breaking down like a car engine is actually coming from a Camaro as Hutchins pulled a spark plug wire out. A friend of his recorded the Camaro from his truck side by side up the hill to the Hollywood sign.
- There was originally a scene that showed Sandy getting arrested for kicking SpongeBob's bottom but it was cut possibly to save time.
- This marks the first time Gary falls in love. The second time was in "Gary in Love".
- The Bikini Bottom mayor in this episode is also the first mayor of New Kelp City in "What Ever Happened to SpongeBob?"
- In the Brazilian dubbing, Squidward's last name "Tentáculos" is misspelled "Tem Tacos" (have clubs) by the mailman and "Tem Óculos" (have eyeglasses) by Patrick. Snellie is called "Caracolina," a combination of "Caracol" (snail) and "Carolina" (a given name).
- There is an online game of the same name based on this episode.
- There is a book of the same name based on this episode.
- In Russia, early airings have "Chocolate With Nuts" as airing first and "The Great Snail Race" airing second; however, in later airings, the order of the two episodes is changed.
- The band members at the Snail Race are wearing the same uniform as Squidward's Super Band from "Band Geeks."
- The show that Gary watches in his daydream is implied to be the same one that Patrick watches in "Rock-a-Bye Bivalve."
- In the Indonesian dub, Squidward refers to Snellie's certificate paper as "koran" (newspaper).
- Sandy's scenes were removed in all book adaptations of this episode.
- This is the only episode on the Where's Gary? DVD not from season 4.
- "Lightning Larry Luciano" is a reference to the mobster "Lucky Luciano."
- The torch that indicates the start of the race is a parody of The Olympic Flame, a symbol of the Olympics.
- Joe Liss is credited as the third writer on this episode in Nickelodeon USA airings and digital versions, but on the DVD releases and international non-USA airings of this episode, Merriwether Williams is credited instead.
- In the audience at Oyster Stadium, if one would look at Fred closely, he is missing his pants. Also in the back, Nat and Harold's legs are gone.
- When SpongeBob says, "Gary, are you listening to me?!" he is shown out of the Oyster Stadium.
- When SpongeBob says “Don’t give me that look!” Gary is in the outer lane when in reality he is in the middle lane.
- Gary crashes into a wall and is still on the track.
- When the race begins, the track is in the center of the stadium, far from the walls.
- SpongeBob was wearing red pants, but in Oyster Stadium, there is a close-up where Gary is on the floor and SpongeBob's pants are blue.
- When Patrick is standing on Squidward's neck, his legs are not seen out the window.
- There are only three lanes in the track. However, when Gary is losing control, there are more lanes.
- Right after Squidward says "That's Tennisballs!" and when Patrick blinks, his eyelids are pink.
- Someone mispronouncing Squidward's last name.
- Patrick thinking his rock is a snail.
- Someone telling Patrick his snail is a rock and Patrick responding, "Yeah, thanks. I know. He's got nerves of steel."
|Awards and nominations for SpongeBob SquarePants (V • E)
Golden Reel Awards
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|