- Gary the Snail
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles (last name reveald)
- Patrick Star
- Snellie (debut)
- Sandy Cheeks (2 cameos)
- Muscular fish on can of Strongman Powder
- Crowd laughing (heard only)
- Rocky (debut)
- Fish on "Yeah!" poster
- Snail on the "Built for Speed" poster
- Nat Peterson (2 cameos)
- Dennis (citizen)
- Harold (red fish)
- Harry (fish)
- Fred (cameo)
- Nancy Suzy Fish (cameo)
- Nathiel Waters (cameo)
- Old Man Jenkins
- Norma Rechid
- Sheldon (fish)
- Sylvester (cameo)
- Perch Perkins
- Larry Luciano (debut)
- Harold "Bill" Reginald (cameo)
- Medley Fishbowl
- Thaddeus (2 cameos)
- Trumpet player
- French Narrator
- Paramedics (mentioned)
- Fire fish
SynopsisSpongeBob wakes up, as well as Gary, as he blows a trumpet in his face. He tells the world he is ready. He sees Squidward getting a package in the mail, with the Norton erroneously pronouncing his last name as "Tennisballs." SpongeBob questions that Squidward's last name is "Tentacles,". He opens the cage, which contains a snail named Snellie. Patrick checks out Squidward's new snail. SpongeBob sees this and tells Gary that he has a new little playmate. However, Squidward immediately protests and explains that Snellie is a purebred of the highest pedigree and that she is going to be entered in the Bikini Bottom Snail Race on Sunday and she will win it. SpongeBob says that he can't enter Gary because Sunday is laundry day. Squidward then tells SpongeBob that he can't enter Gary because Gary is a "mutt," which offends SpongeBob. He asks what makes Squidward think Gary couldn't win. Squidward says the paper. Patrick reads Snellie's pedigree certificate and misreads Squidward's name as "Tentpoles," which makes Squidward angry again. SpongeBob decides to enter Gary into the snail race. Patrick also decides to enter into the competition. SpongeBob (wearing a fake mustache and a coach's outfit) tells Gary to start training now, even calling him a 'lady' to demean him, which causes a walking Sandy to decide to kick SpongeBob's butt the following day, but she doesn't know why.
SpongeBob makes a shake with weird ingredients and gives it to Gary, but Gary runs to the living room. Patrick shows SpongeBob his snail, which is a rock. Patrick says he has nerves of steel.
SpongeBob decides to train Gary as hard as he can. On the day of the race, Gary is exhausted from SpongeBob's brutal training. During the race, his eyes bursts like a balloon, then his shell breaks open, revealing a car engine and he spins out of control, leaving skid marks. SpongeBob, seeing the error of his ways, tells Gary that he can stop now, but Gary keeps on going, loses control of himself, hits the wall and explodes completely. An upset SpongeBob runs up to him onto the track, which the announcer says that it's an "automatic disqualification." and embraces him, crying. Snellie, who is almost at the finish line, turns around to help Gary, and the two instantly fall in love. Squidward is shocked at this and walks onto the track, and SpongeBob says to him, "Looks like you and I are in-laws, eh, Squidward?" Squidward then sees that, much to his surprise, Patrick's rock won the race. Patrick was then very proud of his rock. Squidward is very upset by this, but Patrick then tells Squidward that he had the trophy engraved to him, and gives it to him, knowing how much Squidward wanted to win. Squidward thanks, Patrick, but then reads the trophy, which reads "The 1st place Snail Racing cup presented to Squidward... TORTELLINI?!" He groans and says "Will I ever win?," and they all start laughing and then Sandy suddenly appears onscreen kicking SpongeBob into the air yelling "That's for yesterday, SquarePants!"
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ William Tell Overture - SpongeBob playing bugle
‣ Dancing the Hula - Kapono Beamer [Squidward's new snail]
‣ Apalachian Banjo Duel - Larry Hochman ["Gary's a mutt."]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [Gary imagines himself watching TV]
‣ Meet the Family - Alan Hawkshaw [Gary imagines himself watching TV]
‣ Deadline - Sam Spence ["Looks like we're gonna start our training now, ladies."]
‣ Astronauts March - Sam Spence [protein shake]
‣ Meet the Family - Alan Hawkshaw [Gary watching TV]
‣ Pell-Mell - Sam Spence [sprints]
‣ Meet the Family - Alan Hawkshaw [Gary watching TV again]
‣ Steve's March - Sam Spence [training montage]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [Gary is exhausted]
‣ The Zodiac - David Lindup [at the stadium]
‣ Fight! Fight! Fight! A - Will Schaefer [pre-game ceremony]
‣ Charge - Will Schaefer ["The torch is lit! Let the race begin!"]
‣ Open - Tom Hedden [pep talks]
‣ The Wild Bunch - Sam Spence [race starts]
‣ Dramatic Cue (g) - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob runs onto the track]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill ["Oh, Gary, I'm sorry!"]
‣ Romeo & Juliet Overture - Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky, Fiachra Trench [Snellie comforts Gary]
‣ Miss World (c) - Tony Kinsey [ending]
- As of June 10 2019, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.7/10 based on 421 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.6/10 based on 148 votes.
- "The Great Snail Race" was ranked #35 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob Goes Prehistoric, Complete 3rd Season, Where's Gary?, First 100 Episodes, and Complete Third Season DVDs.
- Although this episode was the first one to air in 2003, on January 24, it was made in 2002 according to the credits.
- This episode premiered in Canada on June 27, 2003.
- The music played during the title card and when Lightning Larry is heading to light the torch is the tune to the original song "Now That We're Men" from The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, which was released a year and a half after this episode premiered. It is titled "Fight! Fight! Fight! (a)" from the Sonoton library from Associated Production Music.
- According to sound designer Jeffery Hutchins, Gary breaking down like a car engine is actually coming from a Camaro as Hutchins pulled a spark plug wire out. A friend of his recorded the Camaro from his truck side by side up the hill to the Hollywood sign.
- The Bikini Bottom mayor in this episode is also the first mayor of New Kelp City in "What Ever Happened to SpongeBob?"
- On the Where's Gary? DVD release, this episode was the only episode from the original Stephen Hillenburg era (1999–2004).
- This was the first episode to premiere in 2003.
- In the Brazilian dubbing, Squidward's last name "Tentáculos" is misspelled "Tem Tacos" (have clubs) by the mailman and "Tem Óculos" (have eyeglasses) by Patrick. Snellie is called "Caracolina," a combination of "Caracol" (snail) and "Carolina" (a given name).
- On April 17th, 2012 Nickelodeon Philippines airing of this episode, the credits from the later episode "Boating Buddies" are used instead.
- There is an online game based on this episode.
- There is a book of the same name based on this episode.
- In Russia, early airings have "Chocolate With Nuts" as airing first and "The Great Snail Race" airing second; however, in later airings, the order of the two episodes is changed.
- The band members at the Snail Race are wearing the same uniform as Squidward's Super Band from "Band Geeks."
- This episode premiered on Ernest Borgnine's 86th birthday.
- The show that Gary watches in his daydream is implied to be the same one that Patrick watches in "Rock-a-Bye Bivalve."
- In the Indonesian dub, Squidward refers to Snellie's certificate paper as "koran" (newspaper).
- Sandy's scenes were removed in all book adaptations of this episode.
- "Lightning Larry Luciano" might be a reference to the mobster "Lucky Luciano."
- The torch that indicates the start of the race is possibly a parody of The Olympic Flame, a symbol of the olympics.
- Joe Liss is credited as the third writer on this episode in Nickelodeon USA airings and digital versions, but on DVD releases and international non-USA airings of this episode, Merriwether Williams is credited instead.
- In the audience at Oyster Stadium, if one would look at Fred closely, he's missing his pants.
- When SpongeBob says "Gary, are you listening to me?!" he is shown out of the Oyster Stadium.
- Gary crashes into a wall and is still on the track.
- When the race begins, the track is in the center of the stadium, far from the walls.
- SpongeBob was wearing red pants.
- In Oyster Stadium, there is a close-up where Gary is in the floor and SpongeBob's pants are blue.
- When Patrick was standing on Squidward's neck, his legs weren't seen out the window.
- There are only three lanes in the track. However, when Gary was losing control, there were more lanes.
- Right after Squidward said "That's Tennisballs!" and when Patrick blinks, his eyelids are pink. This also happens in "The Smoking Peanut" and "Club SpongeBob."
- Someone mispronouncing Squidward's last name.
- Patrick thinking his rock is a snail.
- Someone telling Patrick his snail is a rock and Patrick responding, "Yeah, thanks. I know. He's got nerves of steel."
|Awards and nominations for SpongeBob SquarePants (V • E)
Golden Reel Awards
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|