- Gummy (debut)
- Patrick Star
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Robo 2.1 (debut)
- Gary the Snail
- Ivy (gray)
- Abigail Marge
- Frank (red shirt)
- Jimmy Gus
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Harold Bill Reginald Scott
- Sandy Cheeks
- Mr. Walker (debut)
- Squidward Tentacles
- King Neptune (mentioned)
SynopsisOn "Best Friends Day," Patrick gives SpongeBob an enormous wad of used gum he has amassed over his entire lifetime called "Gummy," and SpongeBob finds it a better gift than the one he is giving Patrick: a robotic butler. However, when he takes it inside, he realizes how disgusting it is with its used and unwashed contents, and it even starts to scare him, with a pair of underpants crawling out of the gum and talking. First, SpongeBob tries to throw it away, but Patrick catches him in doing so, and he says that he was dressing it up with the garbage can. Later, SpongeBob tries to bury Gummy, but Patrick catches him again, and he says that he dug the hole to be able to look at Gummy from below. Patrick insists that it must be displayed properly, and places it above SpongeBob's doorway. SpongeBob next tries to dispose of it in the night, and in the process frees several fish who were literally trapped inside it. He tries to pull Gummy off of his house, and fails, destroying the ball and getting stuck to it in the process.
The next day, Sandy visits SpongeBob's house to see it covered in the sticky remains of Gummy, with SpongeBob hanging above his doorway. She tries to free him by lassoing a piece of Gummy onto a passing truck, which is almost able to pull it away, but is ultimately pulled in by it, hitting SpongeBob's house and causing the gum to explode, completely covering the houses of SpongeBob, Squidward, and Patrick, and trapping Squidward and Sandy as well. Patrick then appears, and SpongeBob tells him he can have Gummy back. Patrick then wolfs down all of the gum, making him super-morbidly obese, but also freeing SpongeBob, his friends, and their houses. However, he then hiccups a massive bubble, which explodes and covers the whole town in gum. As the episode ends, Patrick yells that this is the best Best Friends Day ever.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Olympus (b) - Richard A. Harvey [opening]
‣ Timpani Logo [#50] - Alan Bell, Roger Dexter, Martyn David [Patrick takes giant ball of gum out of his rock]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [Patrick rolling a giant ball of gum to SpongeBob's house]
‣ Brass Flourish (k) - Barrie Hingley ["This chewing gum is my most beloved possession."]
‣ Whisper from the Past [#64] - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob cries]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [robot servant]
‣ The Promised Land - David Farnon [SpongeBob welcomes Gummy into his home]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["You sure are a big boy, aren't you?"]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Hey, I know how to handle this."]
‣ Crime Squad - John Cameron [karate]
• Steel Licks 9 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob crawls out]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["With your dirty sock, used toothbrush..."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (h) - Ronald Hanmer ["Get a hold of yourself, SpongeBob."]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell [SpongeBob throwing Gummy away]
‣ Mission Improbable - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob digging a hole]
• Steel Licks 4 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob deflates]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [Patrick puts Gummy above SpongeBob's front door]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill ["Oh, what am I gonna do, Gary?"]
‣ What's This Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob gets an idea]
‣ Spongeburglar - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob dressed as a burglar]
‣ Hercule Poirot - Gerhard Trede [that night]
‣ What's This Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Who are you?"]
‣ Holy Grail - Larry Hochman ["Oh, thank Neptune!"]
‣ City Heat - Gerhard Trede [SpongeBob tries to pull Gummy off his house]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [Sandy steps in gum]
‣ Towerstreet 17 [#41] - Gerhard Narholz [SpongeBob's house covered in gum]
‣ Dramatic Cue (h) - Ronald Hanmer [Sandy gasps]
‣ Stepping into Danger - Mike Sunderland [Sandy tries to free SpongeBob]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [truck drives by]
‣ Runaway Train - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Hang on tight, SpongeBob!"]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch [Squidward and Sandy get stuck]
‣ Caliope Carousel - Roger Roger ["It's like a gummy wonderland!"]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [robot gives Patrick a massage]
‣ Pua Paoakalani B - Kapono Beamer, Queen Lili'uokalani ["Patrick, do you miss your Gummy?"]
‣ Hawaiian Adventures SpongeBob Theme - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick eating the gum]
‣ Harp Gliss 1 - Otto Sieben [harp music]
‣ Bubble Tension - Nicolas Carr [Patrick hiccupping]
‣ Cream Pie - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode is available on the Season 4 Volume 2, First 100 Episodes, Complete Fourth Season, SpongeBob and Friends: Patrick SquarePants, The Third & Fourth Seasons, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- Although this episode did aired in February 19, 2007 it was made 2006 according to the credits.
- This episode aired in Germany on Saturday, December 23, 2006, before it aired in the USA.
- This episode was released on the Season 4 Volume 2 DVD box set, before it aired on TV in the USA.
- This is one of the episodes that aired during the "Patrick for President" marathon, along with "Driven to Tears," "Rule of Dumb," "The Pink Purloiner," "Rise and Shine," "Waiting," and "Sing a Song of Patrick."
- SpongeBob drives a bulldozer in this episode, but he does not have a driver's license and still does not know how to drive.
- The truck driver's steering wheel is on the right side, meaning it is a foreign car.
- Although Patrick sees the many hints that SpongeBob does not like his gift, SpongeBob never actually reveals to Patrick his distaste for Gummy.
- This is the second episode where Sandy says, "That's crazy talk," the first being "I Had an Accident."
- This is the last episode written and storyboarded by Erik Wiese.
- There is a book based on this episode called Sticky Situations!
- The Season 4 Volume 2 and The Complete Fourth Season DVD covers are based on this episode.
- Along with "Best Day Ever," this episode did not air in the Netherlands until May 9, 2010. Although, the rest of season 4 had already aired in the Netherlands back in 2006.
- This episode premiered in the Netherlands on Rosario Dawson's 31st birthday.
- The German title, "Gummilein," is also to the German name of Gummy.
- In the Croatian dub, the episode name is "Žvaka," which translates to "Gum."
- The name of this episode is a possible reference to either "The Gift of the Magi," a short story written by O. Henry, or the phrase "the gift of gab."
- At the end, during the cleaning of the gum, Patrick eats some of the gum like Pac-Man.
- Patrick destroys his rock to get Gummy out to SpongeBob. The next time there is an outside scene, his rock is back to the way it was.
- When SpongeBob shows his present to Patrick, the latter's mouth disappears as the camera pans over to Robo 2.1.
- When SpongeBob puts Gummy away in the rubbish bin, the pizza and other dirty things disappear.
- When SpongeBob raids his closet, a baseball lands on the floor near Gary and then it disappears in a few seconds.
- Before SpongeBob "steals" Gummy, he looks over to Patrick's rock, but Squidward's house next door is nowhere in sight.
- After Gummy explodes onto SpongeBob's house, all of the trash stuck to it disappears.
- When SpongeBob "steals" Gummy and gets trapped, he is seen wearing a burglar outfit. However, when Sandy sees him trapped, he is seen wearing his normal clothes.
- After Sandy gets her hand stuck in the gum, she takes her hand back out when she sees the truck passing by, as if her hand was never stuck in the first place.
- Some notes of the APM track "Stepping into Danger" are cut off when Sandy tries to free SpongeBob.
- When everything gets covered in gum, the flower on Sandy's air helmet swaps sides.
- Right after Gummy explodes, Patrick's house is partly covered in Gummy, but when Squidward's house attaches itself to SpongeBob's, his house is completely covered in Gummy.
- Before SpongeBob gives Gummy back to Patrick, he tells him that it is still Best Friends Day. However, the episode takes place over two days.
- When Patrick finishes cleaning the gum and says, "I told you it was easy," it cuts to a shot of SpongeBob's house, but his windows and chimney are backwards.