- Patrick Star
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Robo 2.1 (single appearance)
- Gary the Snail
- Sandy Cheeks
- Trucker (debut)
- Squidward Tentacles
- King Neptune (mentioned)
On "Best Friends Day," Patrick gives SpongeBob an enormous wad of used gum he has amassed over his entire lifetime called "Gummy" to start of the episode, and SpongeBob finds it a better gift than the one he is giving Patrick: a robotic butler. However, when he takes it inside, he realizes how disgusting it is with its used and unwashed contents, and it even starts to scare him, with a pair of underpants crawling out of the gum and talking. First, SpongeBob tries to throw it away, but Patrick catches him in doing so, and he says that he was dressing it up with the garbage can.
Later, SpongeBob tries to bury Gummy, but Patrick catches him again, and he says that he dug the hole to be able to look at Gummy from below. Patrick insists that it must be displayed properly, and places it above SpongeBob's doorway. SpongeBob next tries to dispose of it in the night, and in the process frees several fish who were trapped inside it. He tries to pull Gummy off of his house, and fails, destroying the ball and getting stuck to it in the process.
The next day, Sandy visits SpongeBob's house to see it covered in the sticky remains of Gummy, with SpongeBob hanging above his doorway. She tries to free him by lassoing a piece of Gummy onto a passing truck, which is almost able to pull it away, but is ultimately pulled in by it, hitting SpongeBob's house and causing the gum to explode, completely covering the houses of SpongeBob, Squidward, and Patrick, and trapping Squidward and Sandy as well. Patrick then appears, and SpongeBob tells him he can have Gummy back. Patrick then eats down all of the gum, making him super-morbidly obese, but also freeing SpongeBob, his friends, and their houses. Suddenly, Patrick hiccups a massive bubble, which explodes and covers all of Bikini Bottom with gum. Patrick ends the episode declaring that this is the best Best Friends Day ever.
|( ‣ ) Production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Kalua Jubalee - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
‣ Olympus (b) - Richard A. Harvey [Opening]
‣ Timpani Logo [#50] - Alan Bell, Roger Dexter, Martyn David [Patrick takes giant ball of gum out of his rock]
• Seaweed 1 - Steve Belfer [Patrick rolling a giant ball of gum to SpongeBob's house]
‣ Brass Flourish (k) - Barrie Hingley ["This chewing gum is my most beloved possession."]
‣ Whisper from the Past [#64] - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob cries]
• Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Robot servant]
‣ The Promised Land - David Farnon [SpongeBob welcomes Gummy into his home]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["You sure are a big boy, aren't you?"]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr ["Hey, I know how to handle this."]
‣ Crime Squad - John Cameron [Karate]
• Steel Licks 9 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob crawls out]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["With your dirty sock, used toothbrush..."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (H) - Ronald Hanmer ["Get a hold of yourself, SpongeBob."]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell [SpongeBob throwing Gummy away]
• Mission Improbable - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob digging a hole]
• Steel Licks 4 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob deflates]
• Gator - Steve Belfer [Patrick puts Gummy above SpongeBob's front door]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill ["Oh, what am I gonna do, Gary?"]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob gets an idea]
• Sponge Burgler Revisited - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob dressed as a burglar]
‣ Hercule Poirot - Gerhard Trede [That night]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr ["Who are you?"]
‣ Holy Grail - Larry Hochman ["Oh, thank Neptune!"]
‣ City Heat - Gerhard Trede [SpongeBob tries to pull Gummy off his house]
‣ Pell-Mell - Sam Spence [SpongeBob crashes into his house]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [Sandy steps in gum]
‣ Towerstreet 17 [#41] - Gerhard Narholz [SpongeBob's house covered in gum]
‣ Dramatic Cue (H) - Ronald Hanmer [Sandy gasps]
‣ Stepping into Danger - Mike Sunderland [Sandy tries to free SpongeBob]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Truck drives by]
‣ Runaway Train - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Hang on tight, SpongeBob!"]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch [Squidward and Sandy get stuck]
‣ Caliope Carousel - Roger Roger ["It's like a gummy wonderland!"]
• Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Robot gives Patrick a massage]
‣ Pua Paoakalani B - Kapono Beamer, Queen Lili'uokalani ["Patrick, do you miss your Gummy?"]
• SpongeBob Theme II - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick eating the gum]
‣ Harp Gliss 1 - Otto Sieben [Harp music]
• Bubble Tension - Nicolas Carr [Patrick hiccuping]
• Cream Pie - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Ending]
- This episode is available on the Season 4 Volume 2, First 100 Episodes, Best of SpongeBob, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 7, Complete Fourth Season, Waves of Adventure, Patrick's Day, From the Beginning, Part 2, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, SpongeBob and Friends: Patrick SquarePants, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, 2-Season TV Pack, The Third & Fourth Seasons, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- "The Gift of Gum" was ranked #25 during the SpongeBob's Top 100 event in the UK and Ireland from June 4-8, 2012.
- This episode was released on the Season 4 Volume 2 DVD box set before it aired on American television.
- The title card background for this episode is similar to that of "Squid's Day Off."
- This is one of the episodes that aired during the "Patrick For President" marathon.
- This is the second episode to have Vincent Waller credited as a creative director instead of a technical director. The first was "Best Day Ever."
- This is Erik Wiese's last episode as a writer and storyboard director.
- There is a book based on this episode called Sticky Situations!
- The Season 4 Volume 2 and The Complete Fourth Season DVD covers are based on this episode.
- In the Croatian dub, this episode is called "Žvaka," which translates to "Gum."
- In the German dub, this episode is called "Gummilein," which is also the German name for Gummy.
- In the Welsh dub, this episode is called "Gwm i Gyfaill," which translates to "Gum to Friend."
- In the Russian dub, this episode is called "Подарок друга," which translates to "Friend's gift."
- The name of this episode parodies the phrase "the gift of gab."
- At the end of this episode, during the cleaning of the gum, Patrick eats some of the gum like Pac-Man.
- Patrick destroys his rock to get Gummy out to SpongeBob. The next time there is an outside scene, his rock is back to the way it was.
- When SpongeBob shows his present to Patrick, the latter's mouth disappears as the camera pans over to Robo 2.1.
- When SpongeBob raids his closet, a baseball lands on the floor near Gary and then it disappears in a few seconds.
- Before SpongeBob "steals" Gummy, he looks over to Patrick's rock, but Squidward's house next door is nowhere in sight.
- After Gummy explodes onto SpongeBob's house, all of the trash stuck to it disappears.
- When SpongeBob "steals" Gummy and gets trapped, he is seen wearing a burglar outfit. However, when Sandy sees him trapped, he is seen wearing his normal clothes.
- When Sandy says, "Oh, that's just crazy talk," some of the stripes on one of her arms turns blue instead of red for a couple frames.
- After Sandy gets her hand stuck in the gum, she takes her hand back out when she sees the truck passing by, as if her hand was never stuck in the first place.
- When everything gets covered in gum, the flower on Sandy's air helmet swaps sides.
- Right after Gummy explodes, Patrick's house is partly covered in Gummy, but when Squidward's house attaches itself to SpongeBob's, his house is completely covered in Gummy.
- Before SpongeBob gives Gummy back to Patrick, he tells him that it is still Best Friends Day. However, the episode takes place over two days. This error is further reinforced by SpongeBob saying, "Well, it's still Best Friends Day" towards the end of the episode.
- When Patrick finishes cleaning the gum and says, "Told you it was easy," it cuts to a shot of SpongeBob's house, but his windows and chimney are facing backwards.