- Realistic Fish Head
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 23
- Incidental 69
- Female Fry Cook Games competitor (debut)
- Incidental 13 (normal; gray)
- Male Fry Cook Games competitor (debut)
- Incidental 37A
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Incidental 49
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Incidental 9
- Patrick Star
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 24
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 16
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 115
- Huge guy (debut)
- Incidental 4
- Incidental 152
- Incidental 2
- Incidental 65
- Incidental 39
At Bikini Bottom's Fast Food Coliseum, the 21st annual Fry Cook Games are underway. The top contenders for the gold medal have traditionally been Mr. Krabs and Plankton. This year, however, SpongeBob has been chosen to represent the Krusty Krab, and is diligently warming up to compete. Patrick wanders by and also wants to play in the games, but is shut down by SpongeBob, as only fry cooks may enter. Patrick scoffs at this, considering fry cooking to be no great feat. After a heated argument, Patrick storms off while SpongeBob intensifies his workout.
Plankton soon enters the stadium and engages in verbal fisticuffs with Mr. Krabs. Plankton reveals he has also recruited a contender to represent the Chum Bucket and calls forth a colossal giant. Strapped to his back is Patrick, who turns out to be the new fry cook Plankton hired five minutes prior. Now standing on equal ground, SpongeBob and Patrick each vow to defeat the other, despite feeling more hurt than angry. Mr. Krabs and Plankton fan the flames of their charges' rivalry, inciting them to show no mercy in the games.
In their first event, the "Deep Fry Pole Vault," SpongeBob pulls off a nearly perfect jump, while Patrick only manages to scald the audience into fish sticks. Next, during the "Chocolate High-Dive," SpongeBob also does well, but Patrick is able to out-perform him with his concentration and impeccable form. The events continue, the two combatants maintaining an even score all the way to the final challenge: "Bun Wrestling."
As the bell sounds for the fight to begin, SpongeBob and Patrick rip off their robes to reveal muscularly toned bodies before leaping up and colliding with each other midair. They go at each other in fury, their grudges driving them more than their loyalty to their restaurants. They pull off increasingly dirty moves, practically torturing one another. They eventually end up in a grapple, each straining to bring the other one down, until the strain finally proves too much for their pants to take. They tear away to reveal that all along, SpongeBob and Patrick each wore underwear in the color of his best friend and they both cry and hug each other.
Moved to tears, the two friends reconcile and agree never to fight each other again, walking side by side out of the arena. This does not sit well with the spectators, Mr. Krabs and Plankton, and the managers try to get them to come back and fight again. As SpongeBob and Patrick leave, Patrick notes that his underwear was originally white.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Up She Rises - Sam Spence [title card]
• ? - Nicolas Carr [faint drums at the opening]
‣ Age of Discovery - Sam Spence [lighting the torch]
‣ Bonnie Blue Gal - Sam Spence [announcer talks about the rivalry between Krabs and Plankton]
• ? - Nicolas Carr [drum roll]
• Idea Vibe - Nicolas Carr [after drum roll]
‣ Heavenly Voices (b) - David Farnon [choir]
• M'Wanna - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Choir overlays "Heavenly Voices (b)"]
‣ Andy Anorak - Chris Marshall [SpongeBob and Patrick arguing]
• ? Vibes - Nicolas Carr ["What's that smell in the air?"]
‣ Six Powerful Cues (d) - Wilfred William Burns ["I smell Plankton!"]
• Krap Piano Feature - Nicolas Carr [Krabs and Plankton running towards each other to the sound of piano trills.]
‣ Superquick (b) - Daniel Jean Jeannin [Krabs and Plankton approach each other]
‣ Iron and Steel Fanfare - John Epping, Cristoph Narholz ["Are you ready to do or die, Krabs?"]
‣ Monster Bug - Gregor F. Narholz [Plankton introducing his competitor]
• ? - Nicolas Carr [Timpani]
‣ Royal Gala - Dick Stephen Walter ["...Patrick Star!"]
• Steel Licks 4 - Jeremy Wakefield ["I can't believe it, Mr. Krabs."]
‣ Big Ed's March - Sam Spence [Plankton and Krabs' pep talks]
‣ Caesar's Entry [#7.4] - Gregor F. Narholz [deep fry pole vault]
‣ The Equalizer - Sam Spence ["For the Krusty Krab!"]
• Harp! - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob forms a number one sign]
‣ The Equalizer - Sam Spence ["Win this one because I told you to."]
‣ A Chilling Championship - Sam Spence [chocolate high dive]
‣ Timpani Roll - Sammy Burdson [drum roll]
‣ Tightrope C - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [snare roll]
‣ Who's This D - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [SpongeBob flips]
‣ Tightrope E - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy ["And toasted almonds, that's unexpected."]
‣ And Now A - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy ["And just look at that even coating!"]
‣ Zelle 501 - Gerhard Trede ["Almonds?! Curse him, that's good."]
‣ Zelle 505 - Gerhard Trede [Patrick on the high dive]
‣ Timpani Roll - Sammy Burdson [drum roll]
‣ Tightrope E - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [snare roll]
‣ Who’s This B - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [Patrick dives]
‣ Magic Moment A - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [Patrick splashes into the chocolate]
‣ Ta-Ra C - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [live-action ice cream cone]
‣ Jungle Baby - Hans Ehrlinger [montage of events]
‣ Skills 2 Make Mills - David Robidoux [bun wrestling]
• Hooka - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode is available on the Seascape Capers, The Best of Nickelodeon: Summer Adventures, Absorbing Favorites, Complete 2nd Season, The First & Second Seasons, The SpongeBob Super Square Collection, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 3, Mighty Sporting of You, From the Beginning, Pt.1, I'm with Hazo, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, Two for One with Nickelodeon!, Two for One with Nickelodeon! Volume 2, Two for One with Nickelodeon! Volume 3, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, First 100 Episodes, and Deep-Sea Games DVDs and on VideoNow.
- This episode is also available on the The Seascape Capers VHS and DVD.
- "The Fry Cook Games" was ranked #59 during the Best Day Ever event from November 9–10, 2006.
- "The Fry Cook Games" was ranked #11 during the SpongeBob's Top 100 event in the UK and Ireland from June 4-8, 2012.
- The "Please stand by" screen after the failed attempt of the torch is also seen at the ending of "Shanghaied," after Patchy attempts to make the viewers walk the plank.
- The scene where Patrick yells, "My name's not Rick!" has become a famous internet meme.
- At the end of this episode, Patrick says his underwear was originally white. This means that he urinated in them.
- In this episode, SpongeBob is able to do push-ups. However, in "MuscleBob BuffPants" during Sandy's workout, he hurts his arms after attempting to do just one.
- In this episode, SpongeBob is also stronger than usual and having a muscular body, but he is shown to be very weak physically in "MuscleBob BuffPants" to the point that he wears a pair of inflatable fake arms to look strong, only for the arms to burst while he is struggling to throw a heavy anchor.
- This is the third episode in which, at no point, SpongeBob wears his normal clothes. The first is "Ripped Pants" and the second is "Walking Small."
- The music that plays when Patrick says "Because you told me to!" is also the opening music to the Nick GAS sketch "Heroes of the Game."
- This episode reveals that SpongeBob polishes his fingernails.
- This episode's title card has the same text font as the title card for "Neptune's Spatula."
- Technically, a fish eating a fish stick would be cannibalism.
- SpongeBob's muscular design would later be used on the title screen for Reef Rumble.
- The Fry Cook Games is a spoof of the Summer and Winter Olympic Games.
- After Patrick rips off part of the ground underneath SpongeBob, the next shot shows the ground fully intact and a stone appears.
- When the fish holding Patrick arrives, he breaks the wall, but when he screams after Patrick and SpongeBob scream, the wall is put back together.
- When Patrick is holding SpongeBob's foot, his sock is the same length as the other, but when Patrick is licking it, it is longer than the other.
- When Plankton announces the Giant Fish holding Patrick and Frank tries to run away frighteningly, there are two Nat Petersons, Freds, and two other fish in the audience.
- When Patrick takes off SpongeBob's right shoe, the toes on his right foot are switched around, making it look like he has two left feet.
- SpongeBob's foot normally has four toes, but when Patrick is licking it, his foot has five toes.
- When Patrick says "Because I told you to" there are many duplicate fish in the audience.
- When Plankton says "Almonds?," his mouth does not move.
- After SpongeBob does the "Deep Fry Pole Vault," one of the audience members has a deformed face.
- In one of the challenges in the montage scene, Patrick does not have his white shirt on.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick left the stadium Patrick is on SpongeBob's right, but moments later he's on the left, they would have decided to switch sides while exiting.
- The storyboard artists are not credited in this episode. Only the storyboard directors are credited.
- This also happens in "Rock Bottom" and other earlier episodes.
- On most recent airings on Nickelodeon, the title card is missing. However, it was restored on the September 30, 2019 airing.
- However, Nicktoons U.S. keeps the title card intact.
- On the March 24, 2019 airing of this episode on Nicktoons U.S., the sound effect with the EBS color bars was different; it did not feature the tone but another unknown sound effect.