"The Endless Summer" is a SpongeBob SquarePants educational short. In this short, SpongeBob goes to work to find Mr. Krabs taking advantage of global warming. SpongeBob tries to help by causing more global warming.
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Patrick Star
- Rocky (cameo)
- Bikini Bottomites
In the beginning of the short, SpongeBob is on his way to work when he spots a large factory pipe mounted on the Krusty Krab's roof. Inside is a parked boat pumping carbon dioxide up into the pipe and out into the atmosphere. Mr. Krabs explains to SpongeBob that he is using global warming to his own advantage, creating an "Endless Summer" and allowing him to open a year-round Krusty Krab pool. However, SpongeBob has a plan to create a more effective endless summer.
Later, Mr. Krabs is seen in his office, playing with tiny wax figurines of himself and a customer of the Krusty Pool. However, the figurines suddenly start to melt as a result of the raised temperature. When Mr. Krabs exits his office and demands who turned up the heat, he sees 17 boats pumping carbon dioxide into the air.
Outside, Bikini Bottom has become a burning wasteland. When Mr. Krabs finds SpongeBob throwing a tire on a fire, he explains that he is helping to cause more global warming. A mob of citizens are seen running towards the Krusty Krab, whom Mr. Krabs thinks are going to the pool and orders SpongeBob to fill it; however, they run right over Mr. Krabs, and Patrick explains to him that they are moving north, not being able to live in the new climate because it is too hot.
Mr. Krabs is both depressed and frustrated with the heat, while SpongeBob is excited to cannonball into the pool. However, the water quickly evaporates and SpongeBob painfully lands in the empty pool, exclaiming, "Ouch." As the short ends.
|( ‣ ) Production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Beach Party - Harry Bluestone [Title card]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Huh?"]
‣ Keel Row - Brian Peters ["SpongeBob, you're wasting me precious carbon dioxide!"]
‣ Saxaboogie - Harry Bluestone [Mr. Krabs shows SpongeBob the Krusty Pool]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob gets an idea]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [Mr. Krabs plays with wax figurines]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr [The wax figurines melt]
‣ Dramatic Impact (3) - Ivor Slaney [Several boats pump CO2 into the air]
• 12th Street Rag - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Everyone leaves Bikini Bottom]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [The ending]
This short was produced by Nickelodeon Animation Studios, United Plankton Pictures, and Rough Draft Korea (animated sequences), and distributed by StopGlobalWarming.org, Frederator Studios, and Paramount Pictures Corporation. It appeared in Earth to America, which debuted on TBS on June 30, 2005. It was released online on February 7, 2006. The short can be seen in QuickTime format on the site and was also featured in the Nicktoons Network Animation Festival in August 2005. This film was dedicated to Florida and California, the two most popular states in the USA.
On August 3, 2011, this short was targeted by Fox News and was called "liberal bias" by hosts Steve Doocy and Gretchen Carlson. They accused Nickelodeon of "pushing a global warming agenda." Carlson said, "SpongeBob is talking a lot about global warming, and he's only looking at it from one point of view."
At the Department of Education event, Fox showed "The Endless Summer" to numerous students attending, and controversy surrounded a quote from Mr. Krabs: "Thanks to global warming, the temperature will soon go through the roof, and we'll have an endless summer."
Carlson said, "The government agency showed kids this cartoon and handed out books that blame man for global warming, but they did not tell kids that that is actually a disputed fact. Oops." Carlson said, "Clearly Nickelodeon is pushing a global warming agenda, and while there’s no disputing the fact that the earth is getting a little warmer, the big question is, is it man made, or is it just one of those gigantic climactic phases that we're going [through]? ... For a while we're cold and then we get warmer and then we get colder and warmer, which one is it? There's science on both sides. There are a lot of scientists who say, 'It's this,' others say, 'It's that.'
- This and "Reef Blower" are the only two SpongeBob shorts to not have any opening credits.
- This short premiered on TBS in the USA, becoming the first SpongeBob short to premiere on an American network outside of Nickelodeon.
- The street runs parallel to the Krusty Krab, meaning the restaurant's front door faces west.
- The background of the title card appears in the episodes "A Life in a Day" and "Mid-Life Crustacean."
- The Krusty Pool is smaller when SpongeBob is about to dive in.
- Also, SpongeBob is smaller when he lands in it.
- The doors in the Krusty Krab usually do not have doorknobs.
- There is no cash register in the Krusty Krab.
- When SpongeBob says "Carbon dioxide?," his pupils turn yellow for a second.
- When SpongeBob walks into the Krusty Krab, the door handles are blue instead of yellow.
- The anchor on Mr. Krabs' office door that is usually red is yellow.