- Patchy the Pirate (original airing only)
- Potty the Parrot (original airing only)
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 106
- Incidental 87
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 153 (cameo)
- Incidental 103
- Incidental 102
- Incidental 108 (cameo)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- Madame Hagfish (debut)
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- French Narrator
- Witch (on the back of Dangerous Tasks)
- Eel (The Curse of the Hex) (debut)
- Fred (blue)
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 45
The episode starts on one stormy night, with customers leaving the Krusty Krab with an umbrella but end up getting carried away with the strong wind. Squidward, SpongeBob, and Mr. Krabs are about to leave the Krusty Krab when an old hagfish named Madame Hagfish appears at the door of the Krusty Krab. Squidward is afraid of her and tells her that the Krusty Krab is closed, but she ignores him and orders from the restaurant. She attempts to convince Squidward to give her a Krabby Patty but he refuses because it was closed and she did not have the right and/or enough money (she has 3 seashells). After various attempts to make her leave, SpongeBob feels sorry for Madame Hagfish and whispers to her. The Hagfish then leaves and claims that they have not seen the last of her. She then leaves along with the storm and Mr. Krabs questions SpongeBob on what he whispered and makes a joke. SpongeBob then laughs suspiciously.
Later, when the Krusty Krab closes, SpongeBob secretly goes behind the Krusty Krab to give The Hagfish two delicious Krabby Patties before being caught by Mr. Krabs. It is revealed that was what SpongeBob whispered to The Hagfish. Mr. Krabs yells at SpongeBob and takes the patties from him. The Hagfish becomes furious and chants secret words along with the phrase "I hereby curse the Krusty Krab" which supposedly puts a curse on the Krusty Krab before flying away. SpongeBob becomes very worried about this but Mr. Krabs says that it is a bunch of nonsense.
The next day, Mr. Krabs watches out the door the whole day, and there are no customers. He says he has a funny feeling about the so-called curse. Suddenly, a plate falls from the attic of the Krusty Krab. It startles Squidward, making him drop his coffee and start a fire, burning much of Mr. Krabs' money. SpongeBob attempts to put the fire out but just ends up turning all of Mr. Krabs' money to ash. Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob then set out to try to find the Old Hagfish in hope that she would lift the curse off of the Krusty Krab.
It takes them a few hours to find her, but they finally come to a covered wagon where she lives. Mr. Krabs begs for her to lift the curse. She agrees on a compromise. They must find a sacred golden doubloon from the deadly golden eel. They locate the eel (who is sleeping inside a cave full of green goo that SpongeBob identifies as "leftover pudding"). They try to get the doubloon from him but SpongeBob trips, thus waking him up. The eel grabs Mr. Krabs and attempts to suffocate him. SpongeBob then hits the eel lightly on the neck but the doubloon flies out of the eel's throat and Mr. Krabs catches it. They get it to the Hagfish, who uses it for her laundry machine. The Hagfish agrees to lift the curse and takes the closed sign from the Krusty Krab's front lawn, saying that she would not waste real hexes on Mr. Krabs. Many customers then show up at the Krusty Krab. Inside the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs again says that there is no such thing as curses, or witches, or magical sea creatures. As the episode ends, the Krusty Krab begins shaking, and the electric eel pops up from underground scaring away all of the Krusty Krab's customers.
|( ‣ ) Production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Slovakian Czardas Duo - Lars-Luis Linek [Title card]
‣ Animal Antics [#45] - Phil Green [thunderstorm]
• Lopey Sailor's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Ah, the end of another successful business day."]
‣ Dramatic Bridge 3 - Phil Green [Madame Hagfish introduced]
‣ Desperate Situation - Phil Green ["I'm sorry, ma'am... but we're closed."]
• Who Said That - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Hagfish enters Krusty Krab]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Oh, boy, some people."]
• Happy Sack Shanty - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Hagfish orders a Krabby Patty]
• Another Tragic Tale Of Woe - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Madame Hagfish begs for a Krabby Patty.]
‣ Dramatic Bridge 4 - Phil Green ["You haven't seen the last of... ME!"]
• Steel Licks 6 - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs laughs]
• Tip Toe Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs smelling money]
‣ Drama Link (F) - Hubert Clifford ["Mr. Krabs!"]
• Steel Licks 33 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Oh please, Mr. Krabs don't fire me. Please!"]
• Tip Toe Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs throws away the patties]
‣ Desperate Situation - Phil Green ["But what about the... the... the..."]
• Steel Licks 28 - Jeremy Wakefield [record skipping]
‣ Desperate Situation - Phil Green ["But what about the curse?"]
• The Krusty Krab Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs says curses are nonsense]
‣ Voodoo Victim - Gilbert Vinter [no customers]
‣ Tales from the Swamp (c) - Ron Goodwin ["Me money!"]
‣ The Jitters - Raymond C. Jones [Krabs' money burning]
‣ Dramatic Cue (E) - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob trying to put out the fire]
‣ Lonely Stranger - Laurie Johnson [microscope]
‣ Dramatic Cue (E) - Ronald Hanmer ["I don't got it."]
• Steel Licks 31 - Jeremy Wakefield ["There is a no-contract clause in it too."]
• Another Krusty Krab Day - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs drive to Madame Hagfish's house.]
‣ The Jovial Buccaneers [#36] - John Fox ["Well, I'll be the slimy son of a slippery sea slug, boy! It's her!"]
‣ Why Am I So Poor? B - Niko Radic, Laszlo Borteri ["Give me one good reason why I should lift the curse."]
‣ Mystery Murder [#60] - Phil Green ["I will lift the curse, provided you two complete a dangerous task."]
‣ Dark and Scary - Harry Lubin ["Bring me the sacred gold doubloon from the throat of the giant golden eel!"]
‣ The Great White - Gregor F. Narholz [lair of the golden eel]
‣ Alone in the Old House - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Krabs find the eel]
‣ Tipsy Turvy - Phil Green [SpongeBob trips]
‣ The Great White - Gregor F. Narholz [eel wakes up]
‣ The Silver Blade - Ilona Sekacz ["Take this!"]
‣ Why Am I So Poor? (b) - Niko Radic, Laszlo Borteri ["Madame Hagfish, we've got the gold doubloon you asked for."]
• Slide Whistle Stooges 2 - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Hagfish lifts the curse]
• Jovial Pirate's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [ending]
- This episode is available on the Legends of Bikini Bottom, Triple Pack 3, Big Hits: Volume 2, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, Sunđer Bob Kockalone DVD 6, The Best of Bikini Bottom, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 12, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, Kids Double Pack, Kids Double Pack: Volume 3, Complete Seventh Season, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- The production name for this episode was "Hagfish Hex," as seen on some of the original character storyboards on Facebook.
- This episode was released online before it aired on television. It also was available on the Legends of Bikini Bottom DVD, released on November 16, 2010, almost seven months before it aired on American television.
- Even though this is part of Legends of Bikini Bottom, it premiered in June 2011, when the rest of the mini-series was aired on television in January 2011.
- When this episode aired on TV for the first time, it didn't have the book opening in the title card. This is most likely because, at the time, the episode wasn't airing with the rest of the Legends of Bikini Bottom episodes.
- The hagfish's money is somehow based on real life ancient societies that once used shells and beads as currency.
- The curse was actually a closed sign planted in front of the Krusty Krab.
- It is also odd that SpongeBob or Mr. Krabs didn't notice the sign since they were outside the Krusty Krab after Madame Hagfish left.
- In spite of this, there may have been a genuine supernatural element causing some otherwise unexplained events:
- A dish that suddenly fell from the top of the Krusty Krab that startled Squidward with an unknown cause.
- Spontaneous combustion that happened on SpongeBob's grill (though this may have the most logical reason, as it was likely the coffee that Squidward threw combusted on the grill somehow).
- Some of Krabs' money was mysteriously aligned on the Krusty Krab's floor in a trail that leads from SpongeBob's grill to the money vault, destroying all of the money inside.
- It's also odd about what happened to the Krabby Patty secret formula, if it was in Mr. Krabs' money vault.
- The ending of the episode is similar to "Squid's Day Off," as both end with someone changing a closed sign to open.
- This is the first episode to use bones as the title card text. The second is "My Leg!"
- This is one of few times it rains hard in Bikini Bottom. Others include "Nasty Patty," "Missing Identity," "Pineapple Fever," "A Friendly Game," "Pull Up a Barrel," and "Stuck on the Roof."
- This is the last episode aired for season 7.
- This is the second episode with the title format "The Curse of..." following "The Curse of Bikini Bottom".
- When Mr. Krabs says, "Ahhh, the end of another successful business day," the Galley Grub lists a Krabby Patty as "Kraboy Patty."
- Squidward said, "Well, I guess I'll just be working," yet he said the Krusty Krab was closed and that he was supposed to get out of there ten minutes ago. It's possible that he got confused about what time it was due to the late customer coming in.
- Mr. Krabs' money shouldn't have been out of the cash register because it never got touched, except the trail of fire that streaked on it.
- When SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs park the car at Madame Hagfish's house, it is near the parking sign. But when they come back with the golden doubloon, the car disappears.
- When the customers run out of the Krusty Krab at the end, Medley (green fish) suddenly disappears before running offscreen.
- Usually in Krusty Krab's kitchen there is a door leading to the street, but in this episode there is no door.
- ^ https://web.archive.org/web/20170817053052/http://www.throng.co.nz/tag/spongebob-squarepants/
- ^ https://youtu.be/aeMkRVjdVYc
- ^ https://www.sbmania.net/forums/threads/spongebob-squarepants-specials-and-marthons-in-the-2010s-in-the-philippines.62975/
- ^ https://web.archive.org/web/20110407043611/http://www.mundonick.com/nickturbo/?gid=2419&cid=1550679&vid=621741
- ^ https://m.khan.co.kr/amp/view.html?art_id=201107191853435&sec_id=960801
- ^ Legends of Bikini Bottom photo gallery (January 24, 2011). Archived from the original on February 8, 2016.
- ^ https://youtu.be/WQ3lboU9eNk