- Abigail Marge
- Nat Peterson
- Susie Fishbowl (cameo)
- Monroe Timmy
- Miss Rechid
- Dale (cameo)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- Madame Hagfish (debut)
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Grandpa Redbeard (possibly mentioned)
- French Narrator
- Witch (on the back of Dangerous Tasks)
- Giant golden eel (debut)
- Fred (blue)
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Norma Rechid
- Nancy Suzy Fish
The episode starts on a stormy night, with customers leaving the Krusty Krab with an umbrella but end up getting carried away with the strong wind. Squidward, SpongeBob, and Mr. Krabs are about to leave the Krusty Krab when an old hagfish named Madame Hagfish appears at the door of the Krusty Krab. Squidward is afraid of her and tells her that the Krusty Krab is closed, but she ignores him and orders from the restaurant. She attempts to convince Squidward to give her a Krabby Patty but he refuses because it was closed and she did not have the right and/or enough money (She has 3 seashells). After various attempts to make her leave, SpongeBob feels sorry for Madame Hagfish and whispers to her. The Hagfish then leaves and claims that they have not seen the last of her. She then leaves along with the storm and Mr. Krabs questions SpongeBob on what he whispers and makes a joke. SpongeBob then laughs suspiciously.
Later, when the Krusty Krab closes, SpongeBob secretly goes behind the Krusty Krab to give The Hagfish two delicious Krabby Patties before being caught by Mr. Krabs. It is revealed that was what SpongeBob whispered to The Hagfish. Mr. Krabs yells at SpongeBob and takes the patties from him. The Hagfish becomes furious and chats secret words along with the phrase "I hereby curse the Krusty Krab" which supposedly puts a curse on the Krusty Krab before flying away. SpongeBob becomes very worried about this but Mr. Krabs says that it is a bunch of nonsense.
The next day, Mr. Krabs watches out the door the whole day, and there are no customers. He says he has a funny feeling about the so-called curse. Suddenly, a plate falls from the attic of the Krusty Krab. It startles Squidward, making him drop his coffee and starting a fire, burning much of Mr. Krabs' money. SpongeBob attempts to put the fire out but just ends up turning all of Mr. Krabs' money to ash. Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob then set out to try to find the Old Hagfish in hope that she would lift the curse off of the Krusty Krab.
It takes them a few hours to find her, but they finally come to a covered wagon where she lives. Mr. Krabs begs for her to lift the curse. She agrees on a compromise. They must find a sacred golden doubloon from the deadly golden eel. They locate the eel (who is sleeping inside a cave full of green goo that SpongeBob identifies as "leftover pudding"). They try to get the doubloon from him but SpongeBob trips, thus waking him up. The eel grabs Mr. Krabs and attempts to suffocate him. SpongeBob then hits the eel lightly on the neck but the doubloon flies out of the eel's throat and Mr. Krabs catches it. They get it to the Hagfish, who uses it for her laundry machine. The Hagfish agrees to lift the curse and takes the closed sign from the Krusty Krab's front lawn, saying that she would not waste real hexes on Mr. Krabs. Many customers then show up at the Krusty Krab. Inside the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs again says that there is no such thing as curses, or witches, or magical sea creatures. As the episode ends, the Krusty Krab begins shaking, the electric eel pops up from underground scaring away all of the Krusty Krab's customers.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Slovakian Czardas Duo - Lars-Luis Linek [Title card]
‣ Animal Antics [#45] - Phil Green [thunderstorm]
‣ Lopey Sailor's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Ah, the end of another successful business day."]
‣ Dramatic Bridge 3 - Phil Green [Madame Hagfish introduced]
‣ Desperate Situation - Phil Green ["I'm sorry, ma'am... but we're closed."]
‣ Unknown Track 33 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Hagfish enters Krusty Krab]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Oh, boy, some people."]
‣ Botany Bay - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Hagfish orders a Krabby Patty]
‣ Sailor's Sting 16 - "Oh, But it's all I have. Please..."
‣ Dramatic Bridge 4 - Phil Green ["You haven't seen the last of... ME!"]
‣ Steel Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs laughs]
‣ Sailor's Sting 6 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs smelling money]
‣ Drama Link (f) - Hubert Clifford ["Mr. Krabs!"]
‣ Steel Sting (o) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Oh please, Mr. Krabs don't fire me. Please!"]
‣ Sailor's Sting 6 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs throws away the patties]
‣ Desperate Situation - Phil Green ["But what about the... the... the..."]
‣ Steel Sting (j) - Jeremy Wakefield [record skipping]
‣ Desperate Situation - Phil Green ["But what about the curse?"]
‣ The Krusty Krab Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs says curses are nonsense]
‣ Voodoo Victim - Gilbert Vinter [no customers]
‣ Tales from the Swamp (c) - Ron Goodwin ["Me money!"]
‣ The Jitters - Raymond C. Jones [Krabs' money burning]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob trying to put out the fire]
‣ Lonely Stranger - Laurie Johnson [microscope]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer ["I don't got it."]
‣ Steel Sting (n) - Jeremy Wakefield ["There is a no-contract clause in it too."]
‣ Daily Chores Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs driving]
‣ The Jovial Buccaneers [#36] - John Fox ["Well, I'll be the slimy son of a slippery sea slug, boy! It's her!"]
‣ Why Am I So Poor? B - Niko Radic, Laszlo Borteri ["Give me one good reason why I should lift the curse."]
‣ Mystery Murder [#60] - Phil Green ["I will lift the curse, provided you two complete a dangerous task."]
‣ Dark and Scary - Harry Lubin ["Bring me the sacred gold doubloon from the throat of the giant golden eel!"]
‣ The Great White - Gregor F. Narholz [lair of the golden eel]
‣ Alone in the Old House - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Krabs find the eel]
‣ Tipsy Turvy - Phil Green [SpongeBob trips]
‣ The Great White - Gregor F. Narholz [eel wakes up]
‣ The Silver Blade - Ilona Sekacz ["Take this!"]
‣ Why Am I So Poor? B - Niko Radic, Laszlo Borteri ["Madame Hagfish, we've got the gold doubloon you asked for."]
‣ Shellfish Behavior - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Hagfish lifts the curse]
‣ Jovial Pirates Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [ending]
- As of August 19, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.5/10 based on 26 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 7.9/10 based on 123 votes.
- Although this episode premiered in 2011, it was made in 2009 according to the credits.
- The production name for this episode was "Hagfish Hex," as seen on some of the original character storyboards on Facebook.
- This episode was released online before shown on TV. It also was available on the Legends of Bikini Bottom 2010 DVD before it aired on TV.
- Even though this is part of Legends of Bikini Bottom, it was aired in June 2011, when the rest of the mini-series was aired on TV in January 2011.
- When this episode aired on television for the first time, it didn't have the book opening in the title card. This is most likely because, at the time, the episode wasn't airing with the rest of the Legends of Bikini Bottom episodes.
- The curse was actually a closed sign planted in front of the Krusty Krab.
- It is also odd that SpongeBob or Mr. Krabs didn't notice the sign since they were outside the Krusty Krab after Madame Hagfish left.
- In spite of this, there may have been a genuine supernatural element causing some otherwise unexplained events:
- A dish that suddenly fell from the top of the Krusty Krab that startled Squidward with an unknown cause.
- Spontaneous combustion that happened on SpongeBob's grill (though this may have the most logical reason, as it was likely the coffee that Squidward threw combusted on the grill somehow).
- Some of Krabs' money was mysteriously aligned on the Krusty Krab's floor in a trail that leads from SpongeBob's grill to the money vault, destroying all of the money inside.
- It's also odd about what happened to the Krabby Patty secret formula, if it was in Mr. Krabs' money vault.
- This is one of few times it rains hard in Bikini Bottom. Others include "Nasty Patty," "Missing Identity," "Pineapple Fever," "A Friendly Game," "Pull Up a Barrel," and "Stuck on the Roof."
- The hagfish's money is somehow based on real life ancient societies that once used shells and beads as currency.
- This is the first episode to use bones for the title card text. The second is "My Leg!"
- Squidward said "Well, I guess I'll just be working," yet he said the Krusty Krab was closed and that he was supposed to get out of there ten minutes ago. It's possible that he got confused about what time it was due to the late customer coming in.
- When SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs park the car at Madame Hagfish's house, it is near the parking sign. But when they got the golden doubloon, the car disappears.
- Mr. Krabs' money shouldn't have been out of the cash register because it never got touched, except the trail of fire that streaked on it.
- When the customers run out of the Krusty Krab at the end, Medley Fishbowl suddenly disappears before running offscreen.