- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Flying Dutchman
- The Flying Dutchman's Date
- Bikini Bottomites
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Dave (cameo)
- Shubie (cameo)
- Thaddeus (cameo)
- Dennis (cameo)
SpongeBob and Patrick are lying around, bored. Therefore, they sneak into Squidward's shed, and find his lawn mower. Then, they notice Squidward coming in, so they hide on the tool wall. Squidward sees them, and SpongeBob explains to Squidward that they want to play with "that thingy" over there. Squidward says it is his lawn mower, and then he is about to yell, but he comes up with the thought that the two would be shaved in and would be either seriously hurt or killed. Therefore, Squidward pull the cord, and SpongeBob and Patrick ride it. However, eventually the two get out of control, and they end up in the cemetery. They do not care about this.
Underground, the Flying Dutchman is trying to pick out a shirt for his date, and finally finds one. Then, the two run over the grave, and dirt gets all over the Dutchman's shirt. He comes up, only to get his beard shaved off by the mower. The Dutchman becomes angry, so he stops SpongeBob and Patrick and starts yelling at them. Then SpongeBob explains they do not know what it is like to be a ghost. Therefore, the Dutchman turns them into ghosts.
The two fly over to Squidward's garden, and they try to scare Squidward, but they are sprayed by his hose. Therefore, the bubbles fade comes to night, and SpongeBob picks up his key, but it falls through him. He leans on the door, And he falls through. Therefore, SpongeBob goes through the walls and doors to get to his bedroom. When he lays down, he falls through many floors, and eventually ends up underground.
The next morning, it reveals that both did not get enough sleep, as Patrick could see through his eyelids. Therefore, SpongeBob goes to The Krusty Krab for work, and goes to the kitchen. He picks up his spatula, but like his house key, it falls through. SpongeBob then breaks it, and its ghost comes out. However, when he flips patties, they fall through his spatula. He tries this repeatedly, but the spatula went straight through the patty and one of the patties burn. He goes straight through the door, sobbing. Patrick has problems, too. He explains that the food goes right through him, and Mr. Krabs and Squidward are grossed out. Then, the customers notice the two, and they run off screaming thinking they were "mermaids". Therefore, SpongeBob and Patrick become upset, so they go to the cemetery to visit the Dutchman.
When they get there, they plead the Dutchman to turn them back to normal, so he does, but does not succeed. The Dutchman says the curse will not wear off until his beard grows back for his date, so SpongeBob and Patrick decide to give him a "makeover." At the end, SpongeBob himself replaces the Dutchman's beard, and the "Several Months Later" card appears. The two are eventually normal, lying around, bored again, but then the Dutchman comes and tells them the date wants to marry him. Then popping out of the horizon of the background is a giant, horrifying monster, which is apparently the Dutchman's date, and causes the Dutchman to scream and fly away.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Gothic Adventure - Mark Cousins, Adam Saunders [title card]
‣ Solo Steel - Jeremy Wakefield [opening]
‣ You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Let's go look for something to do in Squidward's shed!"]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob and Patrick enter the shed]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [Squidward screams]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["You want to play with my lawnmower?"]
‣ Happy Boy - Jack Shaindlin [start of Squidward's daydream]
‣ Horror House of Wax Retro 2 - Ron Wasserman [end of Squidward's daydream]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob, Patrick playing with Squidward's lawnmower]
‣ Down in Davy Jones' Locker - Nicolas Carr [pan down to Flying Dutchman's lair]
‣ Spanish Ladies (b) - Robin Jeffrey, Tim Laycock [Dutchman getting dressed]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [Dutchman hears SpongeBob, Patrick]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob, Patrick still playing with the lawnmower]
‣ Malleus Mallificarum (a) - Dave Hewson [Dutchman gets angry]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Dutchman's beard shaved off]
‣ Drama Link (b) - Hubert Clifford [Dutchman looks in a mirror]
‣ Frankenstein's Niece A - Gregor F. Narholz ["Who dares disturb the Flying Dutchman?!"]
‣ The Beast Within - Paddy Kingsland ["You morons cut off my beard!"]
‣ Finger of Suspicion 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Dutchman turns SpongeBob and Patrick into ghosts]
‣ Day of Reckoning - Andrew James Blaney ["You're having too much fun."]
‣ Steel Sting (a) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Yay!"]
‣ Haunted House - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob and Patrick trying to scare Squidward]
‣ Steel Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I knew I shouldn't have lent them my lawnmower."]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [that night]
‣ Alien Abduction (#11) - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob floats underground]
‣ Horror Chords (b) - Paddy Kingsland [Patrick's transparent eyelids]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob goes to work]
‣ Evil Alien Attack 1 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Customer runs out screaming]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["What happened to your legs?"]
‣ Sailor's Sting 8 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob trying to cook Krabby Patties]
‣ Steel Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob cries]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Yeah, let's go see the Flying Dutchman."]
‣ Botany Bay - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["At least I still have my personality."]
‣ Epic Tragedy - Gerhard Trede ["Change us back! Change us back!"]
‣ Quizzical Bridge 6 - Harry Bluestone [Squidward drinking tea]
‣ Day of Reckoning - Andrew James Blaney ["I'll lift the curse from you."]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Hey, we're still ghosts."]
‣ The Dreadnought Tea Clipper (b) - Tim Laycock, Robert Alexander White ["The curse will wear off when my beard grows back."]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob and Patrick get an idea]
‣ Co Co Baby (a) - Gil Flat ["Makeover!"]
‣ The Drunken Sailor - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob and Patrick giving the Dutchman a makeover]
‣ Sailor's Sting 4 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Dutchman's "new beard"]
‣ Solo Steel - Jeremy Wakefield [several months later]
‣ Spanish Ladies (b) - Robin Jeffrey, Tim Laycock ["I can't do it."]
‣ Straight from Hell 10 - Gregor F. Narholz [ending]
- This episode is available on the Ghouls Fools, Bikini Bottom Buddies, and Complete Seventh Season DVDs.
This section is too short. You can help Encyclopedia SpongeBobia by expanding it.
- The title card is similar to "Gone", but with different sand.
- SpongeBob breaks his spatula, and its "ghost" comes out. Objects like a spatula do not have spirits, but it does seem alive, as seen in "All That Glitters".
- This may take place before "Life of Crime" because SpongeBob does not know what a lawn mower is.
- Running gag: Patrick and the Krusty Krab's customers thinking SpongeBob and Patrick are mermaids.
- On January 29, 2011, this episode right aired after the TV premiere of "Trenchbillies".
- This was the first episode to premiere after Nickelodeon's 2009 logo redesign.
- When the Flying Dutchman says, "At least I still have my personality", it mirrors a scene in "Pre-Hibernation Week" where a fish says the same quote after having his face burnt to a crisped coal color full of mush after getting burned.
- The proper term for "ghostify" would be "discorporate".
- This episode premiered three years after Nicktoons: Battle for Volcano Island was released.
- Many errors show ghosts being hit. When a person is a ghost, stuff goes through them. This is supported by:
- A lawn mower shaved the Flying Dutchman's beard off even though he is a ghost, it would just go through him, unless it was a supernatural mower.
- When Squidward sprays ghost SpongeBob and Patrick, the water hits them, as it would do if they were not ghosts.
- When the Flying Dutchman comes out of the ground, he has dirt on him. The dirt would immediately go through him.
- Patrick used a two-by-four to smash the jellyfish hive. It should have fallen through his hands.
- Patrick holds a Krabby Patty in his hand. Immediately after, when he eats the Patty, it goes straight through his body. Being a ghost, Patrick should not be able to hold the Krabby Patty in the first place.
- When Squidward was in his shed with SpongeBob and Patrick, he has yellow teeth in one scene.
- The Flying Dutchman said that it takes a thousand years to grow his beard back, but several months later, he is shown to have it again.
- Even though ghost Patrick stated that his eyelids are clear and he can see right through, many scenes of the episode do not show Patrick eyelids being transparent.
- A spatula does not have a ghost, as it is an inanimate object.
- In this episode using much the joke that ghosts are intangible and every solid object is transferred, however, in previous episodes is the Flying Dutchman take solid things and was not transferred from the hands.
- After the patty goes through Patrick, when the camera goes back to him, the patty is gone.
- In the episode, "Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost", it was said that the Flying Dutchman was never put to rest, but in this episode, he was in a grave.
- It is possible that the grave marks his death and does not actually contain his body.