- Patrick Star
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Daydream Squidward (mentioned)
- Flying Dutchman
- Davy Jones (skeleton)
- Mermaids (mentioned)
- Gary the Snail (cameo in picture)
- Dave (cameo)
- Shubie (cameo)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Dennis (cameo)
- Thaddeus (cameo)
- French Narrator
- The Flying Dutchman's date (debut)
SpongeBob and Patrick, out of boredom, invade Squidward's shed and inform him that they want to play with his lawn mower. Squidward, out of hope that they kill themselves using it, lends the lawn mower to the two, and they start riding it. However, eventually the two get out of control, and they end up in the cemetery.
Underground, the Flying Dutchman is trying to pick out a shirt for his date, and finally finds one. Then, the two run over the grave, and dirt gets all over the Dutchman's shirt. The green pirate ghost comes up, only to get his beard shaved off by the mower. The Dutchman becomes enraged, so he stops SpongeBob and Patrick and starts yelling at them for their foolishness. The pair feel guilt at ruining the Dutchman's image, as SpongeBob explains they do not know what it is like to be a ghost. Therefore, the Dutchman turns them into ghosts until his beard grows back.
The two fly over to Squidward's garden, and they try to scare Squidward, but they are sprayed by his hose. The bubbles fade and it's now nighttime. SpongeBob picks up his key, but it falls through him. He leans on the door, and he falls through. Therefore, SpongeBob goes through the walls and doors to get to his bedroom. When he lays down, he falls through many floors, and eventually ends up underground.The next morning, it reveals that both of them did not get enough sleep, as Patrick could see through his eyelids. Therefore, SpongeBob goes to the Krusty Krab for work, and goes to the kitchen. He picks up his spatula, but like his house key, it falls through. SpongeBob then breaks it, and its ghost comes out. However, when he flips patties, they fall through his spatula. He tries this repeatedly, but the spatula went straight through the patty and one of the patties burn. He goes straight through the door, sobbing. Patrick has problems, too. He explains that the food goes right through him, and Mr. Krabs and Squidward are grossed out. Then, the customers notice the two, and they run off screaming, thinking they were "mermaids." Therefore, SpongeBob and Patrick become upset, so they go to the cemetery to visit the Dutchman.
When they get there, they plead the Dutchman to turn them back to normal, so he does, but does not succeed. The Dutchman says the curse will not wear off until his beard grows back for his date, so SpongeBob and Patrick decide to give him a "makeover." At the end, SpongeBob himself replaces the Dutchman's beard, and then it cuts to "Several Months Later." SpongeBob and Patrick have been returned to normal and SpongeBob wonders how the Dutchman and his new girlfriend are doing. Just after saying this, the Dutchman comes up to them and reveals that his girlfriend wants to marry him, but claims that he's "not the marrying-type." Then popping out of the horizon of the background is a giant, horrifying monster, which is apparently the Dutchman's date, and causes the Dutchman to scream and fly away.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Gothic Adventure - Adam Saunders, Mark Cousins [Title card]
‣ Solo Steel - Jeremy Wakefield [opening]
‣ You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Let's go look for something to do in Old Man Squidward's shed!"]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob and Patrick enter Squidward's shed/Squidward looking for his trowl]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [Squidward screams]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [Squidward realizes SpongeBob and Patrick want to play with his lawnmower]
‣ Happy Boy - Jack Shaindlin [start of Squidward's daydream]
‣ Unknown Track 53 - Ron Wasserman [end of Squidward's daydream]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick playing with Squidward's lawnmower]
‣ Down in Davy Jones' Locker - Nicolas Carr [pan down to Flying Dutchman's lair]
‣ Spanish Ladies (b) - Robin Jeffrey, Tim Laycock [Dutchman getting dressed]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [Dutchman hears SpongeBob and Patrick]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick still playing with the lawnmower]
‣ Malleus Mallificarum (a) - Dave Hewson [Dutchman gets angry]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Dutchman's beard shaved off]
‣ Drama Link (b) - Hubert Clifford [Dutchman looks in a mirror]
‣ Frankenstein's Niece A - Gregor F. Narholz [Dutchman gets angry again and gets SpongeBob and Patrick off of the lawnmower]
‣ The Beast Within - Paddy Kingsland ["... because you morons cut off my beard!"]
‣ Finger of Suspicion 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Dutchman turns SpongeBob and Patrick into ghosts]
‣ Day of Reckoning - Andrew Blaney ["You're having too much fun."]
‣ Steel Sting (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick happily fly away]
‣ Haunted House [#26] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob and Patrick trying to scare Squidward]
‣ Steel Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I knew I shouldn't have lent them my lawnmower."]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [that night]
‣ Alien Abduction [#11] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob floats underground]
‣ Horror Chords (b) - Paddy Kingsland [Patrick's transparent eyelids]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob goes to work]
‣ Evil Alien Attack 1 [#15] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Customer runs out screaming]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [Krabs asks SpongeBob about what happened to his legs]
‣ Daily Chores Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob trying to cook Krabby Patties]
‣ Steel Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob cries]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Yeah, let's go see the Flying Dutchman."]
‣ Botany Bay - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["At least I still have my personality."]
‣ Epic Tragedy - Gerhard Trede [SpongeBob and Patrick beg to be changed back]
‣ Quizzical Bridge 6 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Squidward drinking tea]
‣ Day of Reckoning - Andrew Blaney ["I'll lift the curse from you."]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Hey, we're still ghosts."]
‣ The Dreadnought Tea Clipper (b) - Tim Laycock, Robert Alexander White [Dutchman tells them the curse will wear off when his beard grows back]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob and Patrick get an idea]
‣ Co Co Baby A - Gil Flat ["Makeover!"]
‣ The Drunken Sailor - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob and Patrick giving the Dutchman a makeover]
‣ Jovial Pirates Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Dutchman's "new beard"]
‣ Solo Steel - Jeremy Wakefield [several months later]
‣ Spanish Ladies (b) - Robin Jeffrey, Tim Laycock ["I can't do it."]
‣ Straight from Hell - Gregor F. Narholz [ending]
- This episode is available on the Complete Seventh Season, Ghouls Fools, Bikini Bottom Buddies, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- As of December 16, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.7/10 based on 198 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.3/10 based on 127 votes.
- The title card is similar to that of "Gone," but with a different background.
- SpongeBob breaks his spatula, and its "ghost" comes out. Objects like a spatula do not have spirits, but it does seem alive, as seen in "All That Glitters."
- This episode may take place before "Life of Crime" and "BlackJack" because SpongeBob does not know what a lawn mower is.
- On January 29, 2011, this episode aired right after the TV premiere of "Trenchbillies."
- This was the first episode to premiere after Nickelodeon's 2009 logo redesign.
- There is an online game based on this episode known as Ghoul Getter.
- When the Flying Dutchman says, "At least I still have my personality," it mirrors a scene in "Prehibernation Week" where a fish says the same quote after having his face burnt to a crisped coal color full of mush after getting burned.
- The proper term for "ghostify" would be "discorporate."
- This episode premiered three years after Nicktoons: Battle for Volcano Island was released.
- This is the first episode in which Squidward's house is shown with a back door.
- This episode reveals that Harold is afraid of mermaids.
- Many errors show ghosts being hit. When a person is a ghost, stuff goes through them. This is supported by:
- A lawn mower shaved the Flying Dutchman's beard off even though he is a ghost, it would just go through him, unless it was a supernatural mower.
- When Squidward sprays ghost SpongeBob and Patrick, the water hits them, as it would do if they were not ghosts.
- When the Flying Dutchman comes out of the ground, he has dirt on him. The dirt would immediately go through him.
- Patrick used a two-by-four to smash the jellyfish hive. It should have fallen through his hands.
- Patrick holds a Krabby Patty in his hand. Immediately after, when he eats the Patty, it goes straight through his body. Being a ghost, Patrick should not be able to hold the Krabby Patty in the first place.
- SpongeBob and Patrick use various solutions to give the Flying Dutchman a beard, but the jam and jellyfish should have gone through him.
- When Squidward was in his shed with SpongeBob and Patrick, he has yellow teeth in one scene.
- The Flying Dutchman said that it takes a thousand years to grow his beard back, but several months later, he is shown to have it again.
- Even though ghost Patrick stated that his eyelids are clear and he can see right through, many scenes of the episode do not show Patrick's eyelids being transparent.
- A spatula does not have a ghost, as it is an inanimate object.
- After the patty goes through Patrick, when the camera goes back to him, the patty is gone.
- In the episode "Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost," it was said that the Flying Dutchman was never put to rest, but in this episode, he was in a grave.
- It is possible that the grave marks his death and does not actually contain his body.
- The DVD descriptions for this episode on the Complete Seventh Season and Ghouls Fools say that SpongeBob and Patrick disturbed the Flying Dutchman's sleep, but they actually shaved off his beard and that is why he cursed them. Also, the Flying Dutchman is not shown sleeping at all in this episode.
- Patrick and the Krusty Krab's customers thinking SpongeBob and Patrick are mermaids.
- Stuff going through SpongeBob and Patrick and sometimes getting covered with slime.