- Squidward Tentacles
- Fish on the Dance Quarterly calendar
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Astronauts (mentioned)
- Sea bear (debut)
- Fish on The Bikini Bottom Inquirer
- Unicorn on Fake Science Monthly
- The guy that SpongeBob met and all related guys (mentioned)
- Clown (mentioned)
- Chimpanzee (mentioned)
- Fish on Fake Science Monthly cover
- Sea rhinoceros (debut)
Squidward is in his house preparing for bed as he looks forward to a weekend of peace and quiet, especially with SpongeBob and Patrick deciding to go camping. However, he is extremely exasperated and disappointed to learn that they are camping in SpongeBob's front yard, right outside his window.Squidward confronts SpongeBob and Patrick in their tent, pointing out they can't be "camping" if they are only ten feet away from SpongeBob's house. SpongeBob simply states it doesn't matter where you camp as long as you're in the wilderness. After getting the impression that the duo believe Squidward isn't manly or qualified enough to camp, he impulsively decides to join SpongeBob and Patrick in their "camping." Squidward attempts to demonstrate "real camping" as SpongeBob and Patrick take notes, but fails to set up his automated tent, so he decides to sleep under the stars.
The gang begins roasting marshmallows while imitating astronauts. Squidward dismisses them and plans to get a can opener from his house so he can eat a can of Swedish Barnacle Balls. However, SpongeBob stops him from doing so, saying that "it just doesn't seem to fit the camping spirit." Squidward grudgingly decides to eat the marshmallows, but Patrick repeatedly blows on his burned ones, sending them flying into Squidward's face. SpongeBob then plays the "Campfire Song Song." Squidward dislikes it and begins playing "Kumbayah" very badly on his clarinet. Suddenly, a terrified SpongeBob stops Squidward by shooting a marshmallow through his clarinet and into his windpipe, causing him to choke.
After Squidward recovers, he yells at SpongeBob for hurting him. SpongeBob claims that it's not safe to play the clarinet badly in the wilderness at night, as he might attract a sea bear. Squidward angrily protests that sea bears don't exist but SpongeBob and Patrick insist they're real, showing various newspaper articles as proof. Squidward attempts to disprove their existence by having SpongeBob and Patrick list all the things which supposedly attract sea bears, such as eating cheese cubes, wearing a hoop skirt and clown shoes, waving a flashlight, etc. He then begins doing all these actions at once, despite SpongeBob and Patrick's pleas. SpongeBob quickly draws an "anti-sea-bear circle" in the dirt to protect himself and Patrick.
Squidward then gloats how a sea bear hasn't arrived, to which SpongeBob explains he forgot one thing: wearing a sombrero in a "goofy fashion". Just then, a real sea bear appears and demonstrates how the hat should be worn, much to Squidward's horror. The bear mauls the shocked Squidward before leaving. SpongeBob and Patrick urge Squidward to jump into their circle, but he is skeptical of this and tries to flee, only to be attacked by the sea bear again for various reasons.
After being attacked for the sixth time, SpongeBob concludes the sea bear simply doesn't like Squidward. After failing to draw his own anti-sea-bear circle, Squidward finally leaps into SpongeBob and Patrick's. When the sea-bear appears again, it notices Squidward is now in the circle and growls at him in warning for now being safe, before leaving the area. Squidward is relieved the creature is finally gone and thanks SpongeBob and Patrick for saving his life as the trio celebrate.
SpongeBob mentions they're lucky to not be attacked by a sea rhinoceros. Hearing this, Squidward fearfully asks what attracts them, to which Patrick replies, "The sound of a sea bear attack." A sea rhinoceros then appears and growls at Squidward. SpongeBob remarks how lucky they all are to be wearing anti-sea rhinoceros undergarments, except for Squidward, who doesn't have a pair on, causing him to whimper in resignation and fear.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Lonely Heart's Club (a) - David Bell, Otto Sieben [SpongeBob and Patrick camping ten feet from SpongeBob's house]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell [Squidward joins them]
‣ Andy Anorak - Chris Marshall [roasting marshmallows]
◦ Campfire Song Song - Dan Povenmire, Jay Lender
‣ Kumbayah - Brad Carow [Squidward playing clarinet]
‣ Dramatic Cue (b) - Ronald Hanmer ["Oh, no! I'll save you, Squidward!"]
‣ House of Horror Parts 1 & 2 - W. Merrick Farran [SpongeBob warns Squidward about sea bears (Part 1)/SpongeBob and Patrick tell Squidward what attracts sea bears. (Part 2)]
‣ Co Co Baby (a) - Gil Flat [Squidward doing everything that attracts sea bears]
‣ Dangerous A - Mladen Franko [Sea bear appears.]
‣ Dangerous C - Mladen Franko [First time Sea Bear attacks Squidward/Second time Sea Bear attacks Squidward/Third time Sea Bear attacks Squidward/Fourth time Sea Bear attacks Squidward/Fifth time Sea Bear attacks Squidward/Sixth time Sea Bear attacks Squidward]
‣ Dangerous A - Mladen Franko [sea bear growls at Squidward]
‣ Hula Festival - George Elliott [ending]
- This episode is available on the Sponge for Hire, Complete 3rd Season, First 100 Episodes, Complete Third Season, 2-Season TV Pack, The Tom Kenny Collection, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, The Great Outdoors, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, Favorite Episodes, Nickelodeon Summer Pack 2009, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 5, Laugh Pack, From the Beginning, Pt.2, The Third & Fourth Seasons, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- "The Camping Episode" was ranked #7 during the Best Day Ever event from November 9–10, 2006.
- This episode is number 4 on The Tom Kenny Collection on iTunes and Amazon.com. His description says:
- "I always laugh even though I know the sea bear attacks are coming. By the way, SpongeBob singing the ever-accelerating verses of "The Campfire SONG Song" is NOT artificially sped up. (People always ask about that!)"
- "The Camping Episode" was ranked #22 during the SpongeBob's Top 100 event in the UK and Ireland from June 4-8, 2012.
- This episode premiered in Canada on November 13, 2002, before it premiered in the United States.
- This episode premiered in Germany on September 23, 2003.
- This episode premiered in the United States on the same day as the 2004 Kids' Choice Awards and the premiere of Danny Phantom.
- This episode was originally going to be called "Squid Gets Mauled," but was then changed to "The Camping Episode."
- This is the second episode where Patrick is left-handed. When he is writing down how to set up a tent he is writing with his left hand, but in other episodes he is right-handed. The first episode to depict Patrick as left-handed was "Jellyfishing."
- This episode takes place on Saturday, May 25th.
- In 2003, a clip from the episode was used for a marathon titled Nickelodeon LunchToon in Nickelodeon Australia.
- In the episode "Idiot Box," Squidward wears the same sombrero.
- Things Squidward does that attracts the sea bear:
- Plays the clarinet badly.
- Waves a flashlight back and forth really fast.
- Stomps on the ground.
- Eats cubed cheese.
- Wears a sombrero in a goofy fashion.
- Wears a hoop skirt.
- Wears clown shoes.
- Screeches like a chimpanzee.
- The "Campfire Song Song" is heard in the Family Guy episode "Road to Rupert," in which Peter Griffin watches a scene from this episode, specifically the Campfire song. The song was written by Dan Povenmire, who was also a director on said Family Guy episode. Because of this, he was able to gain the rights to his own song.
- This was the last episode Dan Povenmire worked on.
- On February 14, 2018 airing, this episode was paired up with "Valentine's Day" in the United States.
- There is an online game based on the sea bear attack called Camping Chaos!.
- This was the only episode that Sam Henderson wrote where he was not a storyboard director.
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Biwak w dziczy," which translates to "Camping in the Wilds."
- This is one of the rare times where SpongeBob tells Squidward that he's terrible at the clarinet.
- Swedish Barnacle Balls are a parody of Swedish Meatballs.
- The Bikini Bottom Inquirer is a parody of the The National Inquirer.
- When Squidward looks at his cup of tea while in bed, the wrinkles on his forehead are gone. When he looks at his book, they reappear, but when he imitates SpongeBob's laugh, his wrinkles are gone again.
- After Squidward unsuccessfully assembles his tent, when the scene shows the ground by his feet again, his backpack is gone.
- When SpongeBob starts the song, he is sitting on a log. When he sits back down, the log is gone.
- When the sea rhinoceros snorts, one of the bubble groups stops in mid air.
- When Squidward tries to set up his tent, he rips it. After the tent is put up, the rip is gone.
- The last time Patrick blows his marshmallow, he does not put it in the fire.
- When the sea bear attacks Squidward for the first time, he is shown with bandages on his arms and legs. In the next scene, they disappear, only showing an arm cast. In the end, they reappear.
- Although SpongeBob tells Squidward to chew the marshmallow that was lodged in his throat, the whole marshmallow is seen going down his esophagus.
- The molten marshmallow mess looks far too similar to chocolate-chip cookie dough.
- In the French dub, after Squidward chews the marshmallow, there is about a three-second pause on Squidward with no dialogue before SpongeBob says "Meilleur," which means "Better" in French.
- While starting to sing the song, SpongeBob's left arm gets disconnected from his body for a frame.
- The sea bear mauling Squidward off-screen.
- ^ https://twitter.com/JayLender1/status/1079109821503291393
- ^ https://twitter.com/JayLender1/status/1078765303939485697
- ^ https://twitter.com/adampaloian/status/1053054553803739137
- ^ http://web.archive.org/web/20030411084738if_/http://spongebob.net:80/episodeguides.htm
- ^ https://www.sbmania.net/interviews.php?id=5
- ^ File:The Camping Episode calendar art.png
- ^ https://youtu.be/HliEQ6DBihg
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|