"The Ballad of Filthy Muck" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season twelve. In this episode, Patrick takes his grime to a new extreme, playing around in so much trash that he becomes unrecognizable.
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Little Yuck (debut)
- Patrick Star
- Filthy Muck (debut)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Bank Krabs (debut)
- Squidward Tentacles (cameo)
- Mrs. Puff (cameo)
- Old Man Jenkins
- French Narrator
- Singing Tennessee Ernie Flounder (debut)
- Administrator Flotsam
- Ms. Mildred (cameo)
- Bikini Bottomites
- King Neptune (mentioned)
The episode starts with Patrick opening his rock, which has an awful stench, and waking up. He puts his body on the floor, and a lady with two worms walks by his house. The lady smells the stench and uses her worms to block the stench from her nose, and then she goes on with her day. Patrick starts to walk to the Krusty Krab, while making his house evaporate at the same time.
When Patrick reaches the Krusty Krab, everyone runs out because of the awful smell Patrick has. SpongeBob is then seen cooking, and smells the awful stench of Patrick. SpongeBob asks Patrick when was the last time he took a bath, but then he said that his mind couldn't go back far. SpongeBob afterwards compliments Patrick's smell, since it is so bad. He then decides to smell it again.
Mr. Krabs is then seen playing with his fake bank, until he smells Patrick's stench. He tries to find out where the smell is coming from, until eventually he finds out it's coming from the kitchen. After learning its Patrick, he promptly kicks out Patrick and tells him to not come back until he gets rid of his smell. Patrick refuses and decides to play in the trash, so Patrick goes to many filthy areas in Bikini Bottom and becomes more and more filthy. He ends up at The Dump and is astonished by the filthiness of it, and goes in.
The next morning, Patrick (now known as Filthy Muck) is seen entirely covered in garbage, going down from the Dump into a lane. Rube takes a picture of Patrick and the scene changes to a kid holding a newspaper telling everyone that a Filthy Muck has been spotted around town. A guy with a big nose sees this and puts a humongous clip on his nose. Filthy Muck is then seen at a café, making everyone run away. However, Old Man Jenkins does not, since he cannot smell Patrick's stench.
Back at the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob sees Filthy Muck on the newspaper and gives a speech about him. The fish at the restaurant give plaudits to it, and SpongeBob goes looking for Patrick. He ends up at the dump, where he sees Filthy Muck, but he can't get close to him since he smells so bad, so SpongeBob puts some slime under his nose to do the trick. Filthy Muck then holds SpongeBob and puts slime all over him, and SpongeBob calls himself Little Yuck. The two then start playing around in the mud and slime in the same places Patrick played in the mud and slime before.
Rube takes a picture of Little Yuck and Filthy Muck, and the little kid holds the newspaper once again, saying that Filthy Muck has found a playmate. The big nosed fish gets even more scared because of this. Some fish are then seen running out of a restaurant, while Little Yuck and Filthy Muck are eating the leftovers inside the restaurant. However, Old Man Jenkins is not affected. A crowd is then seen running away from a outdoor theater, and Little Yuck and Filthy Muck use the instruments they left behind. Old Man Jenkins says they stink, as in their music is bad. They are then seen in Glove World!, and then back at the dump.
While Little Yuck and Filthy Muck are at the dump, a crowd of angry fish surround them. The crowd tells them that they are gonna make them flee, but then Little Yuck reveals himself to be SpongeBob, Bikini Bottom's favorite fry cook at the Krusty Krab. After recalling this, they let SpongeBob go on the condition that he clean up but they still want to get Filthy Muck out of town. SpongeBob doesn't want them to make Filthy Muck flee though, since he's Patrick and Patrick is SpongeBob's best friend. So SpongeBob and Filthy Muck run away and get chased by the crowd.
SpongeBob takes Filthy Muck to a boat washing place to get cleaned, but it doesn't work. The crowd go inside it too, but their torches go out. SpongeBob is then seen at a dry cleaning place, but Filthy Muck isn't cleaned by that. Then the crowd of fish smash into the dry cleaning place. SpongeBob is later seen using a hose to wash out Filthy Muck, but they are surrounded by the crowd of fish. However, SpongeBob suggests to them that they could just clean Filthy Muck out themselves, so they do so.
However, when they clean Filthy Muck, Patrick doesn't appear in the inside. SpongeBob becomes sad, but the real Patrick appears, in his shower clothing. Patrick says that when he got kicked out of the Krusty Krab, he decided to take a bath so he could enter to get food. SpongeBob is glad, but realizes that Filthy Muck was real. Old Man Jenkins is then seen freaking out, as SpongeBob questions this sudden change in behavior and the old man reveals since Patrick's shower clothes fell off of Patrick and he was showing his butt. Everyone laughs, and then Filthy Muck is seen on a hill, with Rube taking a picture to end off the episode.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Cream Pie - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
‣ Bali Ha'i - William Bell [Patrick wakes up smelling]
‣ Jovial Pirates Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Patrick goes to the Krusty Krab]
‣ Uh Oh Flutter-Eyed - [ProjectSAM Symphobia Colours: Animator] [Customers and Squidward run out from the Krusty Krab]
‣ Drama Link (b) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob sniffs Patrick's smell]
‣ Gag 12 - Zbigniew Wiszniewski [Smelly Patrick in the kitchen]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Uh. I can't think that far behind."]
‣ Credit Card Heaven - Nicolas Carr ["Why, thank you!"]
‣ The Donut Dilemma - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob sniffs Patrick's armpit]
‣ Dramatic Cue (a) - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob's eyes explode]
‣ Another Krusty Krab Day - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs in his office]
‣ Clowning Around - Barry Anthony [Krabs trying to figure out where the smell is coming from]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (XV) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs kicks Patrick out of the Krusty Krab]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (f) - Jeremy Wakefield [Flowers melt with Patrick's smell]
‣ ? ["I proclaim a declamation of stink-dependence!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (r) - Jeremy Wakefield [Jellyfish fall from the sky]
‣ Sea Weird - Steve Belfer [Patrick playing in the garbage]
‣ Uh Oh Flutter-Eyed - [ProjectSAM Symphobia Colours: Animator] [Patrick sniffs the garbage of the dump]
‣ Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [Patrick enters the dump]
‣ Finger of Suspicion - Max Saunders [Filthy Muck leaves the dump and starts walking through Bikini Bottom]
‣ Tidal Zone Theme - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Tourist takes a picture]
‣ Stop Press - Vivian Kennard [Filthy Muck on newspaper]
‣ Tales from the Swamp (b) - Ron Goodwin ["Jumpin' Jehoshaphat!"]
‣ Dramatic Episode 2 - Kurt Rehfeld [Cafe customers sniff Filthy Muck and run away]
‣ Hillbilly Home - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["My nose ain't work since the great Sulfur War of '09!"]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Transition to next scene]
‣ The Drunken Sailor - SpongeBob recognizes Filthy Muck as Patrick
‣ Epic Tragedy - Gerhard Trede ["Oh, that poor repulsive pile of sludge! All alone without a friend. I gotta find him. I gotta help him. I gotta love him."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (v) - Jeremy Wakefield [Customers cheering SpongeBob]
‣ Rip Tide - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob's nose tracking down Patrick]
‣ Misty Menace - Max Saunders [SpongeBob enters the dump]
‣ ? ["It's like you've got a force-field of stink around you. I can't penetrate it."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob laughs]
• The Ballad of Filthy Muck Song - Eban Schletter, Kaz Prapuolenis [SpongeBob and Filthy Muck playing in the garbage]
‣ Stop Press - Vivian Kennard [Filthy Muck and SpongeBob on newspaper]
‣ Drama Link - George Van Parys ["My schnozzola!"]
‣ Oh My Goodness - Benjamin Starnberg [SpongeBob and Filthy Muck at a Bistro]
‣ Drama Link (f) - Hubert Clifford [People running away from SpongeBob and Filthy Muck]
‣ ? [SpongeBob and Filthy Muck playing instruments]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I can't smell, but you two stink!"]
‣ Welcome to Glove World - Barry Anthony [SpongeBob, Filthy Muck and Old Man Jenkins alone at Glove World]
‣ Solo Steel - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Filthy Muck in the dump at sunset]
‣ Punctuations - Ralph Dollimore [Angry mob appears at the dump/"But it's me, SpongeBob!"]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [Angry mob thinking]
‣ Punctuations - Ralph Dollimore ["But he's gotta go!"/SpongeBob grabs Filthy Muck and runs away]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob trying to clean Filthy Muck at boat wash]
‣ In Vogue - Tony Osborne [SpongeBob and Filthy Muck at dry cleaning]
‣ Punctuations - Ralph Dollimore [Angry mob surrounds SpongeBob and Filthy Muck]
‣ Solo Steel 1 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Please! Put down your torches and pick up mops and soap! We can clean him. That would solve everything."]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Can I rub real hard to express my anger?"]
‣ Cream Pie - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Everyone cleaning Filthy Muck]
‣ Drama Link (e) - Hubert Clifford ["Where'd he go? There's nothing there! He was the muck! Oh, Patrick!"]
‣ Kalua Jubilee - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick was taking a bath]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer [Old Man Jenkins scared]
‣ Evil Mind 3 - Dick De Benedictis ["I don't, but I can see!"]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Patrick's butt]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (r) - Jeremy Wakefield [Everyone laughing]
• The Ballad of Filthy Muck Song - Eban Schletter, Kaz Prapuolenis [Ending]
This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 19 DVD.
- Although this episode premiered in 2019, it was made in 2018 according to the credits.
- This episode was released on the Nick app in the US before it aired on live cable TV.
- In the newspaper, the article about the Krusty Krab has a headline that reads "Come Spend Your Money Here!" This line is a reference to the Krusty Krab Commercial from "As Seen on TV."
- This episode is similar to "The Thing," because a character gets covered by something so much that they become unrecognizable, and SpongeBob thinks he is someone else.
- This is the third-least viewed episode in the series at 950,000 U.S. viewers, behind "Sandy's Nutty Nieces", "Insecurity Guards", "Who R Zoo?", and "Biddy Sitting" which received 940,000 U.S. viewers.
- This is the first episode in the show's entire history that had less than one million U.S viewers.
- This episode was the second episode in Sunday SpongeDay to air in 2019 and the 12th episode to air in it in general.
- This episode premiered two years after "Sharks vs. Pods" and "CopyBob DittoPants" premiered in Central and Eastern Europe.
- After "Solo Steel 3" played in this episode, it is revealed that there is an unknown part of the track, since there was a part that played in this episode that sounded different than how they played it before.
- The picture of Filthy Muck on the newspapers is a reference to the Patterson-Gimlin film, a famous short film that featured the mythical Bigfoot.
- Old Man Jenkins telling SpongeBob and Patrick that he isn't bothered by their smell.
- The big nosed citizen getting scared when Morty shows him the news related to Filthy Muck.
- Rube taking photos and saying "Amazing."