"The Ballad of Filthy Muck" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season twelve. In this episode, Patrick takes his grime to a new extreme, playing around in so much trash that he becomes unrecognizable.
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Little Yuck (debut)
- Patrick Star
- Filthy Muck (debut)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Bank Krabs (debut)
- Squidward Tentacles (cameo)
- Mrs. Puff (cameo)
- Old Man Jenkins
- French Narrator
- Administrator Flotsam
- Ms. Mildred (cameo)
- Bikini Bottomites
- Incidental 41 (normal; cyan)
- Incidental 4
- Incidental 23
- Incidental M3
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 36
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 22
- Incidental 24
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 151
- Incidental 65
- Incidental 9
- Incidental 8
- Con man
- Incidental 104
- Incidental 105
- Big nose fish (debut)
- King Neptune (mentioned)
The episode begins with Patrick waking up and getting out of his rock so he can walk to the Krusty Krab. Everyone in the restaurant runs out due to Patrick's hideous smells, but when SpongeBob smells his stench, he's amazed at just how smelly he is. After SpongeBob decides to smell Patrick again, Mr. Krabs smells an awful stench and investigates what it is. He finds out that the stench is coming from Patrick, so he kicks him out of the restaurant. This makes Patrick angry and wants to revolt for his stink-dependence.
Patrick starts messing around in grimy places of the city, but when he starts messing around in the Dump, he eventually becomes so filthy he's unrecognizable. Patrick starts going around town in this filthy form, causing him to get listed in the newspaper as Filthy Muck. SpongeBob finds out about this news and tries to look for him, eventually finding him at the Dump. Since Filthy Muck has a force-field of stink, SpongeBob puts on a filthy mustache on himself to prevent the smell, but this leads to him getting into Filthy Muck's game and starts to go around in the grime as well.
Another news article comes out about how Filthy Muck now has a partner. SpongeBob and Filthy Muck start going all over town, causing people to run away due to their smells, except for Old Man Jenkins as he can't smell. Eventually, the citizens have had enough of this, so one day, they confront the two gross creatures and riot against them. SpongeBob cleans himself so they don't riot against him, but he tries to tell the citizens that Filthy Muck is his friend and he doesn't want him to get hurt. However, the citizens still try to run them out of town.
Eventually SpongeBob tries to clean Filthy Muck, and tells everyone if they work to clean him, he'll turn normal again. Everyone does so, but Filthy Muck completely disappears after getting cleaned. It turns out Patrick had gone to take a bath, and the episode ends with Patrick letting go of his towel, exposing his posterior to everyone.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Bali Ha'i - William Bell [Patrick wakes up smelling]
• Jovial Pirate's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Patrick goes to the Krusty Krab]
‣ Uh Oh Flutter-Eyed - [ProjectSAM Symphobia Colours: Animator] [Customers and Squidward run out from the Krusty Krab]
‣ Drama Link (b) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob sniffs Patrick's smell]
‣ Gag 12 - Zbigniew Wiszniewski [Smelly Patrick in the kitchen]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Uh, I can't think that far behind."]
• Credit Card Heaven - Nicolas Carr ["Why, thank you!"]
• The Donut Dilema - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob sniffs Patrick's armpit]
‣ Dramatic Cue (a) - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob's eyes explode]
• Another Krusty Krab Day - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs in his office]
• Clowning Around - Barry Anthony [Krabs trying to figure out where the smell is coming from]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 41 - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs kicks Patrick out of the Krusty Krab]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 14 - Jeremy Wakefield [Flowers melt with Patrick's smell]
‣ ? ["I proclaim a declamation of stink-dependence!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 28 - Jeremy Wakefield [Jellyfish fall from the sky]
• Sea Weird - Steve Belfer [Patrick playing in the garbage]
‣ Uh Oh Flutter-Eyed - [ProjectSAM Symphobia Colours: Animator] [Patrick sniffs the garbage of the dump]
• Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [Patrick enters the dump]
‣ Finger of Suspicion - Max Saunders [Filthy Muck leaves the dump and starts walking around Bikini Bottom]
• Tidal Zone Theme - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Tourist takes a picture]
‣ Stop Press - Vivian Kennard [Filthy Muck on newspaper]
‣ Tales from the Swamp (b) - Ron Goodwin ["Jumpin' Jehoshaphat!"]
‣ Dramatic Episode 2 - Kurt Rehfeld [Cafe customers sniff Filthy Muck and run away]
• Hillbilly Home - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["My nose ain't work since the great Sulfur War of '09!"]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Transition to next scene]
• Drunken Sailor Solo Accordion - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob recognizes Filthy Muck as Patrick]
‣ Epic Tragedy - Gerhard Trede ["Oh, that poor repulsive pile of sludge! All alone without a friend. I gotta find him. I gotta help him. I gotta love him."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 23 - Jeremy Wakefield [Customers cheering SpongeBob]
• Rip Tide - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob walks his nose as a dog]
‣ Misty Menace - Max Saunders [SpongeBob enters the dump]
‣ ? ["It's like you've got a force-field of stink around you. I can't penetrate it."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 10 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob laughs]
◦ The Ballad of Filthy Muck Song - Eban Schletter, Kaz Prapuolenis [SpongeBob and Filthy Muck playing in the garbage]
‣ Stop Press - Vivian Kennard [Filthy Muck and SpongeBob on newspaper]
‣ Drama Link - George Van Parys ["My schnozzola!"]
‣ Oh My Goodness - Benjamin Starnberg [SpongeBob and Filthy Muck at a Bistro]
‣ Drama Link (f) - Hubert Clifford [People running away from SpongeBob and Filthy Muck]
‣ ? [SpongeBob and Filthy Muck playing instruments]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 5 - Jeremy Wakefield ["I can't smell, but you two stink!"]
• Welcome to Glove World - Barry Anthony [SpongeBob, Filthy Muck and Old Man Jenkins alone at Glove World]
• Solo Steel and Vibes 1 - Jeremy Wakefield, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob and Filthy Muck in the dump at sunset]
‣ Punctuations - Ralph Dollimore [Angry mob appears at the dump/"But it's me, SpongeBob!"]
• ? - Nicolas Carr [Angry mob thinking]
‣ Punctuations - Ralph Dollimore ["But he's gotta go!"/SpongeBob grabs Filthy Muck and runs away]
• Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob trying to clean Filthy Muck at boat wash]
‣ In Vogue - Tony Osborne [SpongeBob and Filthy Muck at dry cleaning]
‣ Punctuations - Ralph Dollimore [Angry mob surrounds SpongeBob and Filthy Muck]
• Solo Steel 1 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Please! Put down your torches and pick up mops and soap! We can clean him. That would solve everything."]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Can I rub real hard to express my anger?!"]
• Cream Pie - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Everyone cleaning Filthy Muck]
‣ Drama Link (e) - Hubert Clifford ["Where'd he go? There's nothing there! He was the muck! Oh, Patrick!"]
• Kalua Jubalee - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick was taking a bath]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer [Old Man Jenkins scared]
‣ Evil Mind 3 - Dick De Benedictis ["I don't, but I can see!"]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Patrick's butt]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 28 - Jeremy Wakefield [Everyone laughing]
◦ The Ballad of Filthy Muck Song - Eban Schletter, Kaz Prapuolenis [Ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 19 DVD.
- The French narrator breaks the fourth wall when he smells the stink despite him being the narrator.
- Rube from "No Pictures Please" makes an appearance in the episode.
- "Welcome to the Chum Bucket" and "Eat at the Krusty Krab" ads can be seen on the newspaper.
- This is the first episode in the show's history that had less than one million U.S viewers.
- This is the fourth episode where the Chum Bucket appears without Plankton. The first is "Slide Whistle Stooges," the second is "No Hat for Pat," and the third is "Don't Wake Patrick."
- Coincidentally, this and its sister episode "The Nitwitting" both are Patrick related.
- The picture of Filthy Muck in the newspapers is a reference to the Patterson–Gimlin film, a famous short film that featured the mythical Bigfoot.
- Old Man Jenkins telling SpongeBob and Patrick that he isn't bothered by their smell.
- The big nosed citizen getting scared when Morty shows him the news related to Filthy Muck.
- Rube taking photos and saying, "Amazing."
- Everything around Patrick melts or faints.
- When Patrick gets kicked out of the Krusty Krab, the Chum Bucket across the street is missing.
- In one scene, SpongeBob's eyelashes on his right eye disappears for one or two frames.