- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Sandy Cheeks
- Don the Whale
- Bulls (debut)
- Horse (debut)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- Mrs. Puff
- Flats the Flounder
- Pearl Krabs
- Larry the Lobster
- Jennifer Millie
- Vera Fishbowl
SpongeBob, Patrick, and Sandy are playing in the sand at Goo Lagoon. Sandy makes some sand in the shape of Texas, which is soon destroyed by the water tide. She walks off sadly, while SpongeBob tries to cheer her up and offers to play with her, but Sandy explains that she is just feeling a little homesick. SpongeBob and Patrick then blindfold her and take her to her treedome, which only adds to Sandy's depression. She begins crying, and runs off.
Both SpongeBob and Patrick are confused, until they hear Sandy singing a song from on top of her treedome about how she misses Texas. They decide to cheer up Sandy by throwing a Texas-themed party for her at the Krusty Krab. They go to Sandy's house to ask her to come to the Krusty Krab with them, but she tells them that she is leaving Bikini Bottom to move back to Texas. SpongeBob is shocked by this, and tries to convince her to go to the Krusty Krab, but fails. Sandy gets into a bus out of Bikini Bottom and leaves. Patrick says, "What's so great about dumb ol' Texas?"
Suddenly, the bus comes back and Sandy returns, and she says, "Don't you dare take the name of Texas in vain!", and was offended by Patrick's opprobrious remark. Patrick then asks if he can say that people from Texas are dumb, which angers her even further. This gives SpongeBob an idea to lure Sandy to the Krusty Krab. He and Patrick continue insulting Texas, and Sandy begins chasing them. They intend to lead Sandy to her surprise party at the Krusty Krab. Patrick continuously insults Texas, thinking Sandy is too slow to catch up to them, only to soon realize that she is very fast and catching up to them.Sandy lassos Patrick and pulls him to her, and a nuclear explosion is shown in the background as he disappears. SpongeBob, still hoping to reach the Krusty Krab, begins screaming as he runs as fast as he can. Sandy's lasso reaches SpongeBob the instant he reaches the door of the Krusty Krab, and she attempts to pull him to her as he holds the door with his pinkie finger. Eventually, this causes the entire front of the building to be torn off, revealing the party inside. Sandy realizes how much her underwater friends care about her, and that Bikini Bottom has become her true home, and decides to stay. The crowd, except Squidward cheers at this, and Patrick says "Yeah, who needs dumb old Texas?" Sandy gets angry once again, and Patrick asks "Should I start running now?" as the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ ? - Junior Brown [title card]
‣ ? - Junior Brown [opening]
‣ Real Western Steel - Bobby Black ["Can't you see? It's Texas!"]
‣ ? - Junior Brown ["Oh, it's nothing but a memory now."]
‣ ? - Junior Brown [Trying to cheer Sandy up]
‣ ? - Junior Brown [Sandy cries.]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill ["Mm-mmm..."]
‣ ? - Junior Brown [Sandy blindfolded]
• Texas - Sherm Cohen, Vincent Waller, Junior Brown
‣ Vibe Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["That's it! Patrick, your genius is showing."]
‣ ? - Junior Brown ["Where?"]
‣ ? - Junior Brown [SpongeBob and Patrick playing leapfrog]
‣ Blue Dobro (a) - Richard Myhill [Sandy gets angry at Patrick]
‣ ? - Junior Brown [SpongeBob and Patrick teasing Sandy]
‣ The Poker - The Langhorns [Sandy puts down her bags]
‣ ? - Junior Brown [Sandy chases SpongeBob and Patrick]
‣ ? - Junior Brown [party at Krusty Krab]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["Don't cry anymore, Sandy."]
‣ ? - Junior Brown ["I'm not cryin', I'm laughin'."]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill [ending]
- This episode is available on the Nautical Nonsense and Sponge Buddies, Complete 1st Season, and First 100 Episodes DVDs.
- As of June 19, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.7/10 based on 272 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.6/10 based on 181 votes.
- "Texas" was ranked #73 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- SpongeBob's misinterpretations of the things Sandy misses from Texas include Flats the Flounder holding a cube (for "Square Dancing"), "Peas-in-a-can pies," large water containers being worn over the head (as "10-gallon hats"), and Barbed Qs. Pecan pie would be mistaken as "peas-in-a-can pie," and barbecues would be mistaken as barbed Qs.
- Jellyfish Fields is shown to be located right next to Goo Lagoon in this episode.
- When Sandy decides to stay in Bikini Bottom and everyone gathers around her, everyone is excited and cheering except for Squidward, who does not cheer at all, but only towards the end of the cheering, saying "Woopty doo."
- Despite his weak muscular system that is exposed in several episodes, SpongeBob is able to tear off the entire front half of the Krusty Krab with only his finger and is able to throw a shark fish up and over his head from behind.
- This is the first episode where a map of Texas is shown.
- This is the second appearance of Flats the Flounder, who first appeared in "Sandy's Rocket."
- Vincent Waller, one of the writers and storyboard artists, was born in Texas. Coincidentally, he is a writer of this episode.
- The fact that Sandy thought that Bikini Bottomites ate jellyfish might be a reference to what Plankton thought of in "F.U.N."
- This episode may take place before "Just One Bite" because SpongeBob doesn't know what "Square Dancing" is and Patrick doesn't know what a 10-gallon hat is.
- This is the third episode to have German dub version of the episode with the exact same name as the English version. The first is "Plankton!" and the second is "F.U.N."
- The background of the title card resembles the flag of Texas.
- When SpongeBob frees a jellyfish just before Sandy starts crying, he tells it "there's no place like home." This is a quote from the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz.
- "Maybe it is a squirrel thing" is a pun on the phrase "It's a girl thing."
- After Patrick tells Sandy that he said "Texas is dumb," Sandy says "Don't you dare take the name of Texas in vain!" This is a reference to the third of the ten Commandments (Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain).
- SpongeBob says "The stars at night are dull and dim, when they have to be over dumb old stupid Texas!," it is a reference to the song "Deep in the Heart of Texas."
- The Texas song is based on Hank Williams' 1950 number-one hit, "Long Gone Lonesome Blues."
- The Texas song is also sang in a similar tune to Hank William Jr.'s "Family Tradition."
- Patrick says "Gitta dog, lil' longies!," it is a reference to the song "Whoopee-Ti-Yi-Yo, Git Along, Little Doggies!"
- Sandy says "Y'all best apologize, or I'm gonna be on you like ugly on an ape!," which is a reference to a quote from the character Jimmy James from the TV show NewsRadio. In episode 9, Season 5 (December 9, 1998), Jimmy says "Max, if you try any of that mind-trick stuff on me, I'll be on you like ugly on a ape."
- Technically, it would have been impossible for Sandy to continue laughing when water was covering her mouth and nose, as it requires her to breathe in and out in a continued sequence. She would technically have drowned in the water but did not.
- At the end of the intro, there is a glitch where there are no words on the logo. This error seems to be common on most if not all foreign masters.
- At the end of the intro, there are no words on the show logo. This error seems to be common on most of the foreign TV airings of this episode.
- Whenever Patrick and SpongeBob try to catch jellyfish, Sandy's outline turns green.
- When Patrick gets captured by Sandy and says, "AHHHH! SpongeBob!," his mouth does not sync with the dialogue.
- When SpongeBob is almost at the Krusty Krab, his pants are a darker color.
- When Sandy is holding a rope and chasing after SpongeBob and Patrick, she is panting, but her mouth does not move.
- When Sandy is singing her song, it seems the music notes are going towards her instead of away from her.
- For a fraction of a second during the song, Sandy's neck is the same color as her cheeks.
- Some of the cels are tinted blue during the scenes where SpongeBob and Patrick are running from Sandy.
- During the airing on February 8, 2016, the Billionfold Inc. logo was used in the end credits instead of the United Plankton Pictures, Inc. logo. Billionfold Inc. is actually the company that worked on the production of three Nickelodeon shows that were all created by Butch Hartman (The Fairly OddParents, Danny Phantom and T.U.F.F Puppy), not by Stephen Hillenburg.