- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Patrick Star (mentioned)
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 107
- Incidental 106
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 37A
- Incidental 27
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Karen Plankton
- Sweetie Scouts (mentioned)
- King Neptune (mentioned)
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 16
- Incidental 155
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 153
- Incidental 105
- Mrs. Puff (cameo)
- Larry the Lobster (cameo)
- Sandy Cheeks (cameo)
- Officer Slugfish
SpongeBob begins singing while cooking the Krabby Patties. An annoyed Squidward tells him about real music and plays his clarinet, causing the customers to run away from the Krusty Krab. After being told to stop by Mr. Krabs, Squidward goes outside and throws a tantrum, complaining that no one appreciates his music. Plankton, watching from the Chum Bucket, believes that Squidward may be the key to the Krabby Patty secret formula.
Later, Plankton tries talking to Squidward, but he fails to. Then, he makes several attempts to trick Squidward, among these were pretending to be a girl scout and pretending to be one of Squidward's species, all resulting in Plankton getting the door literally slammed in his face. SpongeBob tells Plankton that he might gain Squidward's friendship if he compliments him on his music.
Plankton later meets with Squidward and persuades him to play his clarinet. At first, Plankton is tormented by the awful clarinet music but then wears Professional Grade Earplugs to block the noise and pretends to like it. Squidward marches across Bikini Bottom, playing his clarinet, and Plankton follows along, while everyone else is tormented by the noise. Plankton also sings a song about Squidward's clarinet music as Squidward plays bad notes.
This friendship, however, would not last as Plankton tells Squidward about the secret formula. Squidward tells Plankton that despite 20 years of working, he had never seen the making of a Krabby Patty. Squidward tells Plankton that his music is getting better and plays his clarinet, making windows and mirrors across Bikini Bottom crack and break. Squidward then says that he is going to quit his job and become a full-time musician. Plankton gets so angry that his earplugs come off, and he is once again tortured by the noise.
Plankton steals the clarinet, causing Squidward and SpongeBob to chase after him. SpongeBob frees Squidward from Plankton's control. Plankton is shortly confronted by the police about a "bad music" crime and is arrested for being the only one to hold the clarinet, freeing Squidward from being brainwashed. As he is driven away, the police car purposefully runs over Squidward's clarinet. After SpongeBob retrieves the broken clarinet, Squidward once again claims that he "hates people."
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Pitch Pipe Master - Nicolas Carr [pitch pipe]
• Whistling Patties - Nicolas Carr [Krabby Patty whistles]
• The Krusty Krab Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["SpongeBob, what is that horrible racket?"]
• Electric Guitar Licks - Nicolas Carr ["He must have been listening to hard rock."]
• Who Said That - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["I don't care!"]
• Bad Clarinet - Eban Schletter [Squidward playing clarinet]
• Nautical Hijinx - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Mr. Krabs takes Squidward's clarinet.]
• Clowning Around - Barry Anthony [Plankton spying]
• Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward watering his garden]
• Steel Licks 4 - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward pours water on Plankton.]
• Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["You again?"]
• Steel Licks 6 - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward pours water on Plankton again.]
• The Annoying Salesman - Nicolas Carr [Squidward slamming the door on Plankton.]
‣ Fresh as a Daisy - George French [Plankton selling cookies.]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Squidward slams the door.]
‣ Watch Out! - Dick Stephen Walter ["Plankton, what are you doing?"]
• Tip Toe Through the Seaweed - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Plankton pretending to be Squidward's long-lost relative.]
• Hawaiian Solo Steel - Jeremy Wakefield ["That's a fine way to treat a family member."]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Music?"]
‣ Crescendo Fin 10 F# - Marcin Pospieszalski ["Oh, is that right?"]
• Befuddled - Pat Irwin [Plankton in Squidward's music book.]
• Bad Clarinet 2 - Eban Schletter [Squidward playing clarinet.]
◦ Neat Clarinet - Aaron Springer, Eban Schletter [Plankton sings this.]
• Wiggle Wobble - Pat Irwin [Plankton asks what the secret formula is.]
• Bad Clarinet 3 - Eban Schletter [Squidward playing clarinet.]
• Wiggle Wobble - Pat Irwin ["Thanks to you, I'm getting better and better as a musician."]
• Bad Clarinet 4 - Eban Schletter [Squidward playing clarinet loudly.]
• Wiggle Wobble - Pat Irwin ["I'm going to quit my job at the Krusty Krab and become a full-time musician."]
‣ Dramatic Bridge 4 - Phil Green [Plankton's earplugs fall out.]
• Bad Clarinet 5 - Eban Schletter [Squidward playing clarinet.]
• Greenhorn Rag - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton runs with Squidward's clarinet/Squidward and SpongeBob chasing Plankton.]
• Bikini Bottom Police - Nicolas Carr [Plankton arrested.]
• Hawaiian Solo Steel - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob grabs Squidward's broken clarinet./ending]
- This episode is available on The Complete Eighth Season, Sweet & Sour Squidward, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- Some cable providers list this episode as "Sweet and Sour Squidward."
- The show that Karen watches is similar to what Gary watches in "Gary in Love."
- When Plankton is being tortured by Squidward's music, he shouts "Sweet mother of Aphrodite!" He was mentioning Aphrodite, the goddess of love and beauty, according to Greek mythology.
- Squidward says he has never seen a Krabby Patty being made before, but in "Employee of the Month," he is seen making a gigantic mountain of them, along with SpongeBob.
- That, and Squidward has taken over for SpongeBob on the grill several times before.
- In this episode, Plankton mentions that Squidward has worked at the Krusty Krab for 20 years.
- When the clarinet is run over, it resembles the shape of a bass clarinet.
- This is the second episode where Squidward is referred to as an octopus. The first was "The Play's the Thing."
- This episode marks the second time Squidward plays the clarinet in the Krusty Krab. The first is in "No Hat for Pat."
- This is the second time Sandy's helicopter is seen. The first was in "SpongeBob SquarePants vs. The Big One" when she built it.
- This is the first episode Aaron Springer and Doug Lawrence wrote together since "No Free Rides."
- When Plankton pretends to be a Girl Scout, he asks Squidward if he would like to by some Gill Scout Cookies. The words "Gill Scout" is a pun on "Girl Scout."
- "Clarinet Wizard," the song Squidward and Plankton were singing, is a parody of the 1969 song "Pinball Wizard" by The Who.
- When Squidward runs out of the Krusty Krab, his workstation is missing.
- When Squidward and Plankton first go to Goo Lagoon, Plankton is much larger than usual, but then back to normal height in the next scene.
- When Plankton yells at Squidward and mentions that Squidward has worked at the Krusty Krab for 20 years, he says the Krabby Patty is "the only thing on the menu." However, many episodes have shown there is more than one item on the menu.
- When Sandy's helicopter goes flying down, a small part of the helicopter's rotor blade is cut off at one end of the screen.
- Squidward pouring water and slamming the door on Plankton
- SpongeBob asking if he can play with someone.