- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Sandy Cheeks
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Sheldon J. Plankton (cameo)
- Patrick Star (cameo)
- Judge (debut)
- Ma Cheeks (cameo)
- Pa Cheeks (cameo)
- Bikini Bottomites
The episode starts with Sandy in her tree in her treedome, making a ship-in-a-bottle. She tests the cannons, only to have the ship-in-a-bottle get destroyed. She throws it out, while SpongeBob comes in, drinking the bottle, complimenting on how it was what he needed. Sandy starts to chew on her furniture, while SpongeBob asks what's happening. Sandy says there is a ship-in-a-bottle contest tomorrow, and she wants to win it, but all her ship-in-a-bottles are complete disasters. Sandy then shows all her previous ship-in-a-bottles.
Sandy then says that she's all out of fresh bottles, with SpongeBob taking out the secret formula, and taking out the formula to give the bottle to Sandy. However, SpongeBob realizes his mistake, goes to an airport nearby, gets on the plane, onto a cable car into a devilish mountain. Inside is Plankton, with the formula. SpongeBob takes back the formula and goes back to the treedome. Meanwhile, Sandy has finished her new ship. SpongeBob pushes the ship into the bottle, only for it to sink in it and have Sandy start chewing her furniture again. SpongeBob suggests to Sandy that she should talk to Mr. Krabs, as he thinks that Mr. Krabs knows a lot about ships and bottles.
When Mr. Krabs arrives, Mr. Krabs says that the money from the contest will be fifty fifty. SpongeBob likes that they are working together, so he gets a picture Fiasco was working on in the background. Sandy starts to make ship-in-a-bottles with a furnace. But when she shows it to Mr. Krabs, Mr. Krabs smashes it. When Sandy makes more, Mr. Krabs keeps smashing them. Eventually, Mr. Krabs accepts one, although he accidentally smashes that one, too. Sandy feels like a chewed-up twine though after that though, so she goes back to her treedome and gives up, telling Mr. Krabs that he could try to do the challenge himself. Mr. Krabs tries to find things to work with until he eventually sees Sandy's tree.
The next day, when Sandy wakes, she realizes that a big ship was built in her dome made by Mr. Krabs. When Sandy asks what this is, Mr. Krabs takes her outside to show her the big ship. Sandy is astonished, but when she asks where Mr. Krabs got the wood, he said that he chopped down her tree, which makes Sandy mad. Sandy tries to give Mr. Krabs his comeuppance, but Mr. Krabs had already gotten on his boat and is driving the whole treedome with the ship in it to the contest. Sandy, however, is not finished, as she gets her submarine from the ground and heads to Mr. Krabs.
Meanwhile, Mr. Krabs is in the city, damaging property because of how big his ship-in-a-bottle is. However, he sees Sandy's submarine from the boat window of his boat, so he swerves to get Sandy off her tail. Sandy ends up destroying the front of the Krusty Krab, and SpongeBob notices this when he gets out of the kitchen. Sandy gets her submarine back on Mr. Krabs' tail, where she starts firing a ton of acorns at Mr. Krabs. Mr. Krabs thinks it's not enough, although he gets smashed by Sandy's submarine. Sandy then says that this is her 500th rodeo, trying to break the chain connecting Mr. Krabs’ boat and the big ship-in-a-bottle. However, Mr. Krabs says that crabs are stronger than woodchucks, throwing Sandy's submarine into the distance, making Sandy chase after it. Mr. Krabs goes back to driving to the contest.
At the contest, the judge checks SpongeBob's bottle. However, it does not have a ship. SpongeBob says that he's waiting for his ship to come in, as a joke, although Patrick dislikes the joke. Mr. Krabs finally gets to the contest, where he accidentally destroys the front of the place and all the ship-in-a-bottles competing because of his big ship-in-a-bottle. When the judge sees this catastrophe, he sees that Mr. Krabs’ ship-in-a-bottle is quite impressive and that since it's the only one left, he would get rewarded with the trophy and the prize money.
However, Sandy, in her submarine, gets in the contest and destroys Mr. Krabs’ big ship-in-a-bottle accidentally. She crashes into the fountain, where she falls out of her suit with her inside only her helmet as a ball, and rolls to the judge. Since she inside her helmet was the only contestant left, she was the one who won the contest. Back at the treedome, Sandy has made Mr. Krabs build a replacement tree for her until she grows a new one from a seed. When Mr. Krabs gets tired, Sandy forces him to work more by electrocuting him.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ The Jovial Buccaneers [#37] - John Fox [Sandy finishes her ship in a bottle]
‣ The Jovial Buccaneers [#35] - John Fox ["With real workin' hearts."]
‣ The Jovial Buccaneers [#36] - John Fox [Cannon balls destroy Sandy's ship]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 11 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Two weeks down the drain!"]
• 12th Street Rag Revisited - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob sees Sandy chewing angrily furniture]
• Short Rising Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Sandy shows SpongeBob her failed ships in bottles]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 17 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob takes the Krabby Patty secret formula out of his bottle]
‣ 20th Century Gothic (a) - Matthew Cang [SpongeBob runs to retrieve the formula]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 20 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob gets the formula back from Plankton]
‣ 20th Century Gothic (a) - Matthew Cang [SpongeBob flies back to Sandy's treedome]
‣ Honolulu Hula Band - George Elliott [Sandy finishes another ship in a bottle]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 39 - Jeremy Wakefield [Sandy tries to fit the ship into the bottle]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 13 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob pushes the ship in the bottle, crashing it]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer [Ship's sailors jump into the water]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 10 - Jeremy Wakefield [Sandy angrily chewing her desk]
• Drunken Sailor Solo Accordion-2 - Nicolas Carr ["I bet he knows all about ships in bottles. He was once a sailor."]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Transition to next scene]
• Another Krusty Krab Day 3 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Seriously, Mr. Krabs. I don't see what you can teach me."]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell [Sandy making different bottles, while Krabs smashes them]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 6 - Jeremy Wakefield ["I feel like chewed-up twine. I'm goin' to bed."]
• Daily Chores Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Hey, mind if I take a crack at this ship bottle thing?"]
• Credit Card Heaven - Nicolas Carr [Krabs looks Sandy's tree]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr [Krabs gets an idea]
‣ William Tell Overture - Gioacchino Rossini [Sandy wakes up]
‣ The Jovial Buccaneers [#35] - John Fox [Sandy standing in the mast of a ship]
‣ The Jovial Buccaneers [#33] - John Fox [Krabs shows Sandy the ship inside her treedome]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["You what!?"]
‣ Treachery - Wilfred Burns [andy discovers her tree was used to make the ship and gets angry at Mr. Krabs]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 5 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Blow a kiss, Jellyfish!"]
‣ Star Trekkers 3 - Steve Marston ["I'm a-comin' for my ship in a bottle, Krabs!"]
• Rodeodaze - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Sandy starts her submarine]
• Hillbilly Dual - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Sandy starts chasing Krabs]
‣ Piazza Della Commedia - Bruno Bertoli ["Ooh, al fresco!"]
‣ Tales of Adventure - Sam Spence [Sandy shoots acorns at Krabs]
‣ Rodeo Rascals - Barry Anthony [Submarine lands on Krabs]
‣ Battle at Sea - Johnny Pearson [Sandy trying to gnaw the chains]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 2 - Jeremy Wakefield ["There ain't no sadder sight than a rodent running after her submarine."]
‣ Nautical Fantacy - William Trytel [At the ship in a bottle contest]
‣ ? [Rimshot]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick shakes his head in disapproval]
‣ Nautical Fantacy - William Trytel [Krabs driving to the contest]
‣ Eight Dramatic Bridges - Ronald Hanmer [Treedome slams into Krabs' boat]
‣ Nautical Fantacy - William Trytel ["You think we'll win, Dad?"]
‣ ? [Treedome destroys everyone's ship in a bottle]
• Drunken Sailor Solo Accordion-2 - Nicolas Carr ["So, what do you think, Judge? Ain't she a beauty? A ship in a glass bottle of epic proportions!"]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr ["Well, it is rather impressive."]
• Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr ["I have no choice but to declare you the winner."]
‣ Unknown Track 37 - Nicolas Carr ["That's right. Hand it over!"]
‣ Barmy Hoedown! - Dominic Glynn, Martin Smith [Sandy arrives with the submarine at the contest and destroys the ship]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 26 - Jeremy Wakefield [Sandy rolls inside her helmet]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [Judge picks Sandy up]
‣ Nautical Fantacy - William Trytel [Sandy wins the contest]
‣ Hula Festival - George Elliott [Ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 19 and The Complete Eleventh Season DVDs.
- This episode was accidentally released on Amazon Video on October 23, 2018. It was later taken down that day by Nickelodeon.
- When this episode first aired in the USA, it was paired up with "FarmerBob," but since it has re-airing with "Call the Cops."
- Coincidentally they have to do with hard labor.
- Both episodes premiered in Remembrance Day.
- In "Sandy, SpongeBob, and the Worm," Sandy says she is the strongest one in Bikini Bottom, however, this episode shows Mr. Krabs is stronger than her when he tossed her submarine into the distance.
- This is the first episode to play the APM track "Hula Festival" since "Stanley S. SquarePants."
- This episode was originally supposed to air in Canada on October 26, 2018, but was delayed to December 14 for unknown reasons and replaced with a rerun of "SpongeBob You're Fired" instead.
- In the original promo of this episode, it showed that Plankton has a bigger role in this episode. However, he was only in the beginning of the episode, so it was very misleading.
- The episode's title is named after surf and turf, a dish containing seafood and meat.
- The old black and white photo of Mr. Krabs in his navy uniform kissing a bag of money is a parody of Alfred Eisenstaedt's photograph, V-J Day In Times Square.
- There was no need for Mr. Krabs to wear a water helmet while in Sandy's treedome, as crabs can breathe in or out of water. This same error also occurs in "Overbooked" and "Hiccup Plague."
- In the close-up of the picture showing Sandy and her parents, there are sky flowers as if the image was taken underwater, and none of them is wearing a suit.
- Sandy's bra disappears for a split second at the end of the episode.
- Mr. Krabs smashing Sandy's bottles with the hammer.
- Sandy gnawing on wooden furniture.