+ = This character only appears tanned in the episode.
- Patrick Star
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Taylor Fishbowl+
- Billy (lime fish)
- Medley Fishbowl+
- Vera Fishbowl+
- Jennifer Millie
- Dennis (citizen)+
- Sheldon (fish)+
- Debbie Rechid+
- Frank (muscular goldfish)
- Nathiel Waters+
- Jimmy Gus+
- Norma Rechid
- Nat Peterson+
- Craig Mammalton (debut)
- Tina Fran
- Harry (fish)+
- Frankie Billy+
- Harold (red fish)
- Monroe Timmy+
- Don the Whale+
- Frank (lifeguard)
- Ivy (gray)+
- Old Man Jenkins+
- Abigail Marge
- Harold "Bill" Reginald+
- Frank (red shirt)+
- Phil (yellow)+
- Miss Rechid+
- Mrs. Mammalton (mentioned)
- Susie Rechid+
- Tyler+ (name revealed)
- Soda commercial guy (debut)
- French Narrator
- Squidward Tentacles
SynopsisSpongeBob and Patrick are playing at the beach, where all the other beachgoers are tanning. Craig Mammalton, the tannest man on TV, then shows up and announces to a crowd that he is having the hottest party of the summer. Everyone is invited except for SpongeBob and Patrick, who are not tanned. Craig says that they cannot come if they do not get to the tan minimum and mocks them for having smooth skin. Patrick converts his house into a tanning machine, able to give them the minimum tan in just 15 seconds. Patrick goes first and gets a perfect tan. But during SpongeBob's turn, Patrick forgets to watch over SpongeBob and leaves him in for 2 hours while he goes off with a group of girls. SpongeBob ends up with a white "Sun Bleached" tan that makes him look hideous. SpongeBob suggests asking Squidward for help, who ridicules him. SpongeBob feels sad because he will not be able to go to the party, but Patrick offers to help him anyway he can. Patrick first gives him a "makeover" by covering him in mud, placing kelp jerky over his teeth, and putting hair on SpongeBob's head that was ripped from his own armpits. While walking through town, a woman mistakes SpongeBob for a monster and attacks him to protect her baby. While having an ice cream break, Patrick gets an idea while eating his caramel sundae. He covers SpongeBob in the caramel giving him a "tan." They are let into the party, where portable tanning lamps shine on the dancing partygoers, causing SpongeBob's caramel to harden and crack, revealing his bleached skin. The partygoers start to complain and make fun of him until Craig reveals sun bleached is the ultimate tan and calls SpongeBob a hero, thus making the partygoers praise SpongeBob. The tanning lamps are cranked to maximum "Sun Bleach" level and everyone is dried up to dust. SpongeBob asks Patrick if too much sun is bad for them, to which he replies, "Whatever. I just go with the flow."
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Beach Party - Harry Bluestone [opening]
‣ Lovely Twist - Michel Gaucher [Craig Mammalton introduced]
‣ Surfmania - Eric Spencer ["Must be this tan to enter."]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [later]
‣ Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick's tanning bed]
‣ Steel Licks (l) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick becomes tan]
‣ Gunning for Danger - Syd Dale [soda commercial]
‣ Tiki Rapido - Lionel Wendling [SpongeBob in the tanning bed]
‣ Beer Festival - Dick Stephen Walter [music on Patrick's headphones]
‣ Fresh Twist - Eric Spencer ["Is that tan for us?"]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["It's time for me to get out!"]
‣ Fresh Twist - Eric Spencer [two hours later]
‣ Menace [#37] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob emerges from the tanning bed]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer ["You don't look too good."]
‣ Menace [#42] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Squidward screams]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell ["You're sun bleached!"]
‣ Steel Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob sighs]
‣ Hawaiian Adventures SpongeBob Theme - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [makeover]
‣ Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr ["I look... amazing!"]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Time to go to the party."]
‣ Toy Piano - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Oh, what a cute little baby."]
‣ From the Dead - Ronald Hanmer ["Monster!"]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["You look like you could use an ice cream."]
‣ Hello Blues - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ice cream parlor]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick puts caramel on SpongeBob]
‣ Surf Buggy - The Surfdusters [at the summer shindig]
‣ Saxaboogie - Harry Bluestone [tanning lights]
‣ Menace [#42] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob's bleached skin revealed]
‣ Dracula 2020 C - Gregor Narholz [someone's eyes melt]
‣ Steel Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [everyone complaining]
‣ Love Me Spencer - Eric Spencer ["I have seen this only one other time."]
‣ Bikini Babes - Eric Spencer [Craig's crowd follows in SpongeBob's footsteps/Ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob vs. The Big One, Season 6 Volume 1, and Complete Sixth Season DVDs.
- As of February 2, 2019, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.0/10 based on 196 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.4/10 based on 100 votes.
- This episode is paired with "A Life in a Day." Coincidentally, both episodes have a summer setting and take place at Goo Lagoon.
- In real life, Patrick and SpongeBob could have gotten skin cancer for staying in the tanning machine for too long.
- When the tanners scream at Craig's party, the screams used are mainly not used for people partying, but mainly for people literally screaming and running away from something in other movies/shows.
- This is the first episode where the same time card appears twice in the same episode.
- This is the second episode to feature Goo Lagoon without Larry the Lobster. The first is "No Weenies Allowed."
- This is one of few episodes where there is a pun at the end, another is "Idiot Box."
- This episode premiered two years after The Best of Nickelodeon: Summer Adventures was released and one year after Bikini Bottom Adventures was released.
- Craig Mammalton and his notorious tan skin are a reference to a film and television actor George Hamilton.
- The scene where Patrick makes a cutaway gag of a soda commercial is likely a reference to many of the cutaway gags seen on Family Guy.
- Kelp Jerky is a parody of a beef jerky.
- Near at the end, the scene where a man's eyes melt (but he is still alive) for seeing that SpongeBob is sun bleached references the 1981 film Raiders of the Lost Ark, where Major Arnold Toht's face melts when looking into the Ark of the Covenant.
- Right before that, when the bright light reveals SpongeBob's sun bleached body, everyone at the party shuts their eyes (except one guy) and a woman tells him to look away, the same way how Indiana Jones tells Marion Ravenwood to not look and keep their eyes shut after the Nazis opened the Ark.
- When Patrick tans himself, the dried apple is still on the platform, but when SpongeBob goes on the platform, the apple is gone.
- After SpongeBob is sun bleached, his voice becomes dry and hoarse, but during the scene where he is covered in mud and throughout the rest of the episode, his voice is normal again.
- When Squidward shouts "You're sun bleached!" in SpongeBob's face, his neck goes missing for a brief moment.
- Squidward makes fun of SpongeBob for not being able to go to Craig's party, although Squidward himself is not invited to the party.
- The Bikini Bottom Summer Shindig sign misspells the word "Shindig" as "Shinding."
- When Craig is speechless, some of the partygoers do not have tans.
- In the last scene, Patrick's eyelids are light pink instead of purple.
- This could be because his eyelids got bleached by the lights.