- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Stanley S. SquarePants (debut)
- Sherm SquarePants (mentioned)
- Infomercial voice
- Squirrel (debut)
- Bald fish on the TV (debut)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Incidental 41 (normal; gray)
- Squidward Tentacles
- King Neptune (mentioned)
- Sandy Cheeks
- Patrick Star
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 36
- Incidental 67
- Incidental 68
- Incidental 63
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 13
- Incidental 73
- Incidental 17
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 12
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 37A
- Incidental 21
- Incidental 3
- Incidental 5
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 8
- Incidental 2
- Sandy's cousin (debut)
- Squidward’s cousin (debut)
- Mr. Krabs' nephews (debut)
- Sheldon J. Plankton
The episode starts off at one sunny day, SpongeBob notices a package outside of his house. While carrying it, he states that it is heavy, and he places it on a table. He then opens the package, and the face of a sponge that looks a lot like SpongeBob is inside, and he says hello. Shocked, SpongeBob panics and jumps backward, and his cousin Stanley then comes out, whom SpongeBob recognizes immediately. They do a victory screech, and then SpongeBob asks him why he has come. Stanley produces a letter for SpongeBob from his Uncle Sherm. It states that Stanley cannot hold a job because he destroys everything he touches, and he can't take it anymore. Hoping SpongeBob can deal with Stanley better, he sent Stanley to him.
SpongeBob is happy to take Stanley in, and Stanley immediately rushes to the refrigerator, stating that Uncle Sherm never let him near the refrigerator. He then throws everything out of it and rushes to the bathroom. He causes the toilet to flood and then rushes to the television. However, he flicks through the channels too quickly and causes the television to explode. Stanley then admires pictures of SpongeBob working at the Krusty Krab, which SpongeBob says is his calling. Stanley is sad because he doesn't have a calling, and SpongeBob decides to see if Squidward can help him.
Squidward gets scared because there are two "SpongeBobs" and moves out because he thinks that he is going to get annoyed. Next, SpongeBob takes Stanley to see Sandy. When he is about to shake her hand, he trips over a rock, and his buck teeth tear a hole in Sandy's suit, sending her flying upwards. SpongeBob then takes Stanley to see Patrick, and Patrick asks him if there is anything he is good at. Stanley says there is nothing he is good at, so Patrick decides to test how good he is 'at nothing'. Patrick tells Stanley to clear his mind and do absolutely nothing, but Stanley just can't resist the urge to move, and yells that he can't do it, and Patrick tells him to leave.
SpongeBob's watch then beeps, alerting him that it is time to go to work, and SpongeBob, temporarily forgetting Stanley's problem, puts on his hat and says Stanley has no idea how good it feels. This causes Stanley to start crying, and SpongeBob says maybe Stanley watching SpongeBob work will cheer him up. When they arrive at the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs sees Stanley, and is excited, as he believes this means there are two SpongeBobs. He asks SpongeBob if Stanley is a hard worker, and Stanley begs SpongeBob to say yes, so he does. Mr. Krabs then hires Stanley. SpongeBob shows Stanley the cash register, but the moment he touches it, it goes up in flames. Mr. Krabs smells the money burning and rushes to try and save it. Unable to do so, he asks SpongeBob who is responsible for burning the cash, and SpongeBob takes the blame for Stanley, causing Mr. Krabs to put SpongeBob on probation.
When the first customer comes to the register, Stanley is excited, and takes many pictures of him and the customer, and then rushes off to get them developed, leaving a long line of customers angrily waiting at the register. SpongeBob sees this and frantically serves everyone in the line, making a mess of the kitchen as he does so. SpongeBob tries to tell Mr. Krabs about Stanley, but Mr. Krabs interrupts him, showing him all the people who were turned down for the job, so SpongeBob doesn't tell him. He then walks back into the kitchen to find that Stanley has broken Spat. Mr. Krabs walks in, and thinks SpongeBob broke Spat, and this makes SpongeBob furious, and he tells Mr. Krabs that Stanley broke Spat, and burned the cash register. Enraged and tired, SpongeBob reveals that he was covering for Stanley because he can't do anything right. Stanley starts crying, saying he ruins anything he touches, and Mr. Krabs gets an idea. He lets Stanley get a job at the Chum Bucket, and Plankton initially believes Mr. Krabs was foolish, however, almost immediately Stanley explodes the Chum Bucket, and the episode ends with him apologizing to his "boss."
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Hula Festival - George Elliott [title card]
‣ Drama Link (D) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob screams]
• Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Cousin Stanley!"]
• Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Stanley breaks SpongeBob's TV]
‣ Dramatic Cue (d) - Ronald Hanmer ["There's two of them?!"]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward moves out]
• Marlin March - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Stanley meets Sandy]
‣ From the Dead - Ronald Hanmer [Stanley accidentally rips Sandy's suit]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Sandy floats up]
• Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [at Patrick's]
‣ Unease - Dick Stephen Walter ["Clear my mind... do nothing..."]
• Steel Licks 3 - Jeremy Wakefield ["You're not worthy of instruction in the immobile arts."]
• Solo Steel 3 - Jeremy Wakefield ["I can't even do nothing right."]
‣ Colossus - Alan Hawkshaw ["Oh, gentle hat, symbol of employment..."]
• Steel Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield [Stanley crying]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [at the Krusty Krab]
• Krusty Krab Tango - Steve Marston ["He looks like you."]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob nervous]
• I'm Ready Fanfare - Nicolas Carr [Krabs hires Stanley]
• Steel Licks 12 - Jeremy Wakefield [Stanley at the cash register]
‣ Dramatic Cue (a) - Ronald Hanmer [register bursts into flames]
‣ Drama Link (b) - Hubert Clifford ["Money... BURNING?!"]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford [Krabs jumps onto the money]
• Steel Licks 3 - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs cries]
‣ Deadline - Sam Spence ["Customer off the port bow!"]
‣ The Achterhoek Dances - Jan Rap [Stanley takes a photo of himself with the customer]
‣ Jarabe Tapatio (a) - Gerhart Frei, Carlos Periguez [Stanley and customer wearing sombreros]
‣ Explorers 1 [#99] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [diving suits]
‣ Wedding March - Ed Wernov, Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy [bride and groom outfits]
• Steel Licks 2 - Jeremy Wakefield ["I can't wait to get these developed."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (c) - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob serving customers]
‣ Keel Row - Brian Peters ["SpongeBob, what's the meaning of this?!"]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [shot of bride and groom photo]
• Nautical Hijinx - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob tries to talk to Krabs]
• Sandy the Scottsman - Nicolas Carr [Scottish Sandy]
• Wig Struck - Nicolas Carr [teenage Squidward]
• The Pollywog Strut - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Krabs' nephews]
‣ House of Horror - William Farran [the camera zooms on a bent spatula]
• Tragic Violin - Nicolas Carr, Ezra Kliger ["My spatula... the thing I hold nearest and dearest to my heart."]
‣ Dramatic Impact 2 - Ivor Slaney ["NO, NO, NO!"]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["He's right. I ruin everything I touch!"]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr [Krabs gets an idea]
• Kalua Jubalee - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Stanley goes to work for the Chum Bucket/Ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob's WhoBob WhatPants?, Season 5 Volume 2, First 100 Episodes, Really Big Box Set, Holidays with SpongeBob 3-DVD Gift Set, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, Triple Pack 1, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 8, Complete Fifth Season, From the Beginning, Part 2, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, Favorite Episodes Volume 2, Big Hits: Volume 1, SpongeBob Pack: Volume 1, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- This episode's production number marks this and its sister the 100th episode in the series.
- This episode was paired up with "20,000 Patties Under the Sea" during its first airing in the Super Stuffed Nicksgiving Weekend 2007, but has since been re-airing with "Banned in Bikini Bottom."
- The title card for this episode is similar to that of "The Bully," since the background is based on SpongeBob's skin.
- The reading glasses SpongeBob wears are the same ones that he uses to go jellyfishing and to page through the dictionary in "Just One Bite."
- When the letter is shown, the words "I'm free, free!" can be seen at the bottom.
- On a picture of SpongeBob serving a Krabby Patty to Incidental 41, he is brown and tan.
- SpongeBob says, "That's perfect! Patrick can do nothing better than anyone!" to Stanley because Patrick gets a "do nothing better than anyone" award in "Big Pink Loser."
- At one point in this episode, Incidental 40 appears to be wearing nothing but a sombrero.
- Sandy is revealed to have a Scottish relative.
- Squidward's teenage-style family member is blond and turquoise as Squidward in the flashbacks of "The Original Fry Cook" was depicted with as Squidward's hair color.
- Both Sandy's and Squidward's relatives can be seen.
- Patrick is the only one of SpongeBob's friends to not have a relative shown in this episode.
- Mr. Krabs is revealed to have three nephews in this episode. Therefore, one of their parents is Mr. Krabs' sibling. This sibling can be an unknown sister of Mr. Krabs, as in "Grandpappy the Pirate" where Redbeard Krabs mentions that Mr. Krabs is his only grandson.
- Here are some things that Stanley ruins:
- Taking all the food out of SpongeBob's refrigerator.
- Filling too much water from the toilet.
- Destroyed SpongeBob's TV.
- Ripped Sandy's suit arm. (skipped in the Bahasa Indonesia version)
- Exploded the cash register and burning some money.
- Having a photo with Incidental 40.
- Broke Spat.
- Exploded the Chum Bucket.
- Christopher Guest guest starred as Stanley S. SquarePants.
- This is the second episode to reveal a cousin of SpongeBob's. The first is "BlackJack."
- This is the second episode in which SpongeBob shrinks after being yelled at. The first is in "Rule of Dumb."
- This is the second appearance of a Scottish character. The first is the Scotsman in "Patty Hype."
- This episode marks the third time Uncle Sherm is mentioned. The first was in "Krab Borg," and the second was in "Pest of the West."
- This is the fifth time SpongeBob shrinks. The first time was in "Nature Pants," the second was in "Big Pink Loser," the third was in "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV," and the fourth was in "Rule of Dumb."
- This is the only season 5 episode in which Plankton appears but does not play a major role.
- This is the last episode of Season 5 in production order.
- This was the last usage of "Hula Festival" until "Surf N' Turf" as well as its last use as title card music until "Gary's Got Legs."
- In the German dub, this episode is called "Stanley S. Schwammkopf," which translates to "Stanley S. Spongehead."
- In the Bahasa Indonesia dub, there are some changes made for the episode:
- After SpongeBob said "Oh, that's okay" (just after meeting Squidward), the scene where SpongeBob and Stanley meeting Sandy was simply skipped to meeting Patrick.
- Also the scene where SpongeBob goes into Mr. Krabs' office and Mr. Krabs showing the relatives were skipped to Stanley breaks Spat.
- These were mostly done due to time constraints.
- Mr. Krabs' nephews are a parody of Donald Duck's nephews, Huey, Dewey, and Louie, and they solve mysteries, a parody of their role in the show DuckTales.
- In the scene where Stanley destroys SpongeBob's refrigerator, a brown liquid is thrown on SpongeBob's face. In the next scene, when Stanley destroys SpongeBob's toilet, the brown liquid on SpongeBob's face is gone.
- It is possible that SpongeBob may have cleaned it off by absorbing it offscreen.
- In the scene where Stanley questioned SpongeBob if he works at the Krusty Krab, if one looks closely, one can see the pictures moved places after SpongeBob explained the pictures.
- In the scene where SpongeBob showed Squidward his cousin Stanley, Squidward ran to get his stuff from his house outside. You can see that the door is open. However, in the next shot, the door is closed. However, Squidward might have closed the door offscreen.
- When Stanley is tripping on a rock and SpongeBob says, "You'll be learning from the master," Stanley has eyelashes in those scenes, but he normally does not have any.
- When Stanley is crying, SpongeBob looks at his watch. In the next shot, it is gone (the camera even zooms in on SpongeBob's hand to guarantee it is gone).
- When Mr. Krabs rolls around on the money, it is not on fire, but part of him and his clothes turn black.
- When Stanley runs out of the Krusty Krab holding a camera, his wedding hat he was previously wearing is missing.
- It is said that Stanley breaks everything he touches, but he does not break the camera when he is taking pictures with Harold.
- In the close-up of the wedding photo with Stanley and Harold, Stanley has no eyebrows.
- When Mr. Krabs yells at SpongeBob, he shrinks in size into his pants. His sleeves shrink in size with him, when they should stay the same.
- When Sandy's relative from Scotland speaks, he blows on a pipe, and a bubble comes out, which comes out of his helmet and pops. That is impossible, unless there is a door where the bubble can leave from. Otherwise, it went right through the glass.
- When SpongeBob yells, "No! Not my spatula!," his legs are missing.