This article contains speculative information. Please keep this in mind as you read it.
This article is in need of cleanup in order to comply with Encyclopedia SpongeBobia's Manual of Style. Please help this Wiki by making this article clean and tidy!
While Squidward is usually shown to be annoyed with SpongeBob, the two share a close relationship. Squidward has repeatedly hinted that he enjoys SpongeBob's company and at times, openly reveals this. In "Graveyard Shift," he admits this when he tells SpongeBob, "No matter what I've said, I've always sort of liked you!" He also admitted he likes SpongeBob in "Fools in April".
Interactions throughout the series
As seen in "Truth or Square," Squidward was once living a happy life in Bikini Bottom with a fancy garden next to his house. One day, a pineapple fell off a boat and crushed his garden, immediately becoming the home of SpongeBob SquarePants after he moved into the neighborhood. Patrick appeared to have already been living next door to Squidward sometime prior to the incident.
SpongeBob seems to be the character who Squidward is most annoyed by, with the end of the episode "Restraining SpongeBob" being a notable exception, where Squidward releases him from the order and places Patrick there instead. SpongeBob usually ignores this and is often very nice to Squidward.
Throughout the show, there have been some instances where SpongeBob was aware that Squidward was annoyed at him, such as in the episode "SpongeBob You're Fired," where Squidward asks SpongeBob if he knows he hates him and he replies "Yes."
Times when SpongeBob was mad at and mean to Squidward
While SpongeBob has been nice to Squidward in a majority of the episodes, there have been some instances where he has been mad at him and even mean towards him.
- "Employee of the Month" - SpongeBob is mad at and mean to Squidward throughout the episode, and they keep setting traps for each other while trying to get to the Krusty Krab.
- "Pizza Delivery" - SpongeBob stays committed to delivering the pizza even when a ravenous Squidward attempts to eat it.
- "I Was a Teenage Gary" - SpongeBob is disappointed that Squidward was negligent.
- "Can You Spare a Dime?" - SpongeBob is mad at Squidward near the end of the episode because of his freeloading.
- "Best Day Ever"' -SpongeBob was mad at Squidward that he was unable to perform his clarinet recital due to a broken reed, and he slaps Squidward and makes a new reed with his tooth and demands him to play.
- "Krabs a la Mode" - SpongeBob runs over Squidward with his Patty skates, and hits Squidward with a Hockey stick to serve a Krabby Patty that was on him to a customer.
- "Breath of Fresh Squidward" - Squidward turns nice after getting electrocuted by his electric fence. He makes Krabby Patties but SpongeBob dismisses them as being inadequate, though Mr. Krabs sees no problem with them. Mr. Krabs then makes Squidward employee of the month for the first time, which makes SpongeBob mad. When celebrating at Patrick's house, SpongeBob sees Squidward pogo dancing with Patrick. SpongeBob yells and says, "Stop it! Maybe you can take my job, and maybe you can take my place on the Employee of the Month Wall of Fame, but nobody and I mean nobody, pogo stick dances with that guy (Patrick) but me! Now do yourself a big fat favor and get out bub!" This makes Squidward very sad, but he also turns back to normal upon touching his electric fence again.
- '"Blackened Sponge" - SpongeBob insults Squidward by calling him weak.
- ''"Patty Caper" - SpongeBob is mad at and accuses Squidward of stealing the Krabby Patty secret formula.
- '"Choir Boys" - When Squidward is excited about his choir, SpongeBob ruins it by coming in while singing, which the fish find beautiful and open the choir for SpongeBob. In the end, SpongeBob makes Squidward flip the pages with a bitter look on his face.
Times when Squidward was nice to SpongeBob
While Squidward is normally annoyed by SpongeBob, he has shown kindness towards him at some points in the series. He is generally nicer to SpongeBob than he is to Patrick.
- "Naughty Nautical Neighbors" - Squidward befriends SpongeBob after he heals his back.
- "Pizza Delivery" - Squidward rescues SpongeBob from being run over by a truck. Later in the episode, Squidward stands up for SpongeBob after his feelings are hurt by an angry customer. Squidward slams the pizza in the customer's face and cheers up SpongeBob by telling him that the customer "ate the whole thing in one bite."
- "Clams" - After their boss, Mr. Krabs lost his first one million dollar by the hands of a giant clam, and becoming insane afterward, forcing both Squidward and SpongeBob to find and capture the giant clam for the rest of the millennia until they manage to get the dollar back from that clam. Squidward had to convince SpongeBob to secretly escape from the now insane Mr. Krabs, to the escape boat, but fails, as Mr. Krabs already inside the boat and began to use the tied Squidward and SpongeBob as the life-baits.
- "SB-129" - After being in the past and the future, Squidward admits he misses SpongeBob and wants to go home. When he gets home, he sees SpongeBob and Patrick, saying, "You don't know how happy I am to see you guys!" Though he quickly becomes annoyed by the fact that he invented jellyfishing.
- "Fools in April" - After playing a nasty trick, SpongeBob becomes upset and runs home crying. Squidward then feels guilty and tries apologizing numerous times, until he finally comes clean and gives a full apology.
- "Bossy Boots" - After Pearl gets a job at the Krusty Krab, Squidward and SpongeBob agree to team up to protect their jobs.
- "Dying for Pie" - After SpongeBob supposedly eats a bomb, Squidward feels guilty and tries to give SpongeBob the best day ever by doing ridiculous things on SpongeBob's list before he explodes. Later, Squidward nervously counts down to one and when he hears an explosion, he starts to sob over SpongeBob. But it turns out SpongeBob blew an explosive bubble, much to Squidward's chagrin.
- "Squidville" - Squidward moves to Tentacle Acres to get away from SpongeBob. After weeks of living there, he gets tired of the monotonous day to day routine and even misses SpongeBob. After hearing a noise of a reef blower, he thinks it's SpongeBob and gets happy, but finds out it's a reef blower. He then uses the reef blower to escape happily back home.
- "Band Geeks" - Squidward was dancing to SpongeBob's song.
- "Christmas Who?" - Because Santa Claus didn't come to Bikini Bottom, SpongeBob becomes very upset and Squidward makes fun of him. Though SpongeBob gives Squidward a new customized clarinet as a present, Squidward feels bad for what he did and realizes that his grouchy attitude had ruined Christmas for everyone. He dresses up as Santa and gives away all of his things to other people to make SpongeBob happy and restore Bikini Bottom's Christmas spirit.
- "Pressure" - Squidward teams up with Spongebob, along with Mr. Krabs and Patrick to compete with Sandy to prove that sea creatures are better.
- "Graveyard Shift" - When the Hash Slinging Slasher is about to get them, Squidward admits that he always sort of liked SpongeBob, but SpongeBob spoils it by admitting that he used Squidward's clarinet to unclog his toilet.
- "Squid on Strike" - Squidward tells SpongeBob not to pay Mr. Krabs any money for the ridiculous things he charged them for, and Squidward demands Krabs to give them respect and higher pay. Squidward convinces SpongeBob to go on a strike with him for Mr. Krabs's treatment of them.
- "Idiot Box" - When Squidward kicks the box, he starts an avalanche. Squidward becomes worried about SpongeBob and Patrick and checks inside the box to see if they are alright.
- "Krab Borg" - Squidward teams up with SpongeBob and helps him take down Mr. Krabs, whom they think is a robot.
- "Can You Spare a Dime?" - Squidward acts nice to SpongeBob for letting him stay in his home. However, he later takes advantage of SpongeBob's kindness and becomes a pest for him, to the point of blatantly ignoring SpongeBob’s not-so-subtle hints about wanting Squidward to get a job.
- "Squilliam Returns" - Squidward tells SpongeBob he can't thank him enough for all he's doing while making Squilliam believe he owns the Krusty Krab as a five-star restaurant.
- "Party Pooper Pants" - Squidward attends SpongeBob's house party.
- "Born Again Krabs" - Squidward angrily scolds Mr. Krabs when he trades SpongeBob for sixty-two cents. He says that he should be ashamed before Mr. Krabs claims he wants SpongeBob back.
- "The Camping Episode" - After being warned multiple times about sea bears by SpongeBob and Patrick and attacked multiple times by one, Squidward finally believes and joins them in their anti-seabear circle, which serves as a defense against attack. Squidward expresses gratitude to SpongeBob and Patrick for saving his life.
- "SpongeBob Meets the Strangler" - Squidward warns SpongeBob about the Tattletale Strangler after turning him in. Later, he is happy to party with SpongeBob and the other citizens.
- "Skill Crane" - When Squidward lost control of the crane and it started reversing fast, he warned SpongeBob he could not stop it.
- "Funny Pants" - Squidward tricks SpongeBob into thinking he can never laugh again. Because of his disastrous crying, Squidward feels that he made a mistake. He feels sorry for SpongeBob and tells him it was only a joke.
- "Krusty Towers" - Squidward invites SpongeBob to swim in the indoor pool with him.
- "Wishing You Well" - When SpongeBob points out that Squidward is standing on his foot, Squidward apologizes, when he was rude to Patrick when he pointed out that he had his elbow in his ribs.
- "Best Day Ever" - Squidward invites SpongeBob to his clarinet recital.
- "Breath of Fresh Squidward" - After Squidward is shocked by his own electrical fence, he turns nice towards SpongeBob and Patrick.
- Whatever Happened To SpongeBob? - Although Squidward seems happy about SpongeBob leaving Bikini Bottom, he manages to hijack the limo that SpongeBob was riding on to bring him back home. Even though he gets SpongeBob back, he didn't truly forgive him but did all that to get Mr. Krabs' ornamental egg.
- '"The Two Faces of Squidward" - After SpongeBob accidentally smashes the door in his face, Squidward becomes handsome. Squidward seems to like SpongeBob for giving him fame and recognition, and he let SpongeBob ride in a limo with him. After crowds of fish wouldn't leave him alone, Squidward begs SpongeBob to give him back his old life. After Squidward gets turned back to normal, SpongeBob tells Squidward he loves him, with Squidward saying "I almost wish that meant something".
- '"House Fancy" - After Squidward won House Fancy, he appreciates SpongeBob's help.
- "Krabby Road" - Squidward joins Spongebob's band called "The Patty Stealers".
- "Not Normal" - After SpongeBob turns "normal," Squidward becomes friends with SpongeBob and the two get along for most of the episode.
- "Boating Buddies" - Squidward begs SpongeBob for help reaching his pencil during a test after being beaten up but SpongeBob reminds Squidward of what he said not too long ago: "I'm not your buddy! I don't need your help and I don't need you! Now just kindly let me take this stupid test so I can get out of here and never have to see you again for the rest of my life!" and only for that to be recorded by another student. Afterwards, Squidward admits he and SpongeBob are "Boating Buddies."
- "To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants" - SpongeBob changes his identity by becoming as rude and lazy as Squidward, and the two get along pretty well until Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob to take off his new pants.
- "Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful" - When SpongeBob makes all of the garbage disappear, Squidward says he now hates him a little less, much to SpongeBob's joy. Later, he thanks SpongeBob for destroying Squilliam's statue.
- "Enchanted Tiki Dreams" - Squidward appreciates SpongeBob and Patrick for creating the Enchanted Tiki Island, and even dances with them.
- "Krusty Dogs" - Squidward cooperates with SpongeBob to put Krabby Patties back on the menu.
- "Squidward in Clarinetland"- Squidward gives SpongeBob a hand with the dishes as he's listening to Kelpy G.
- "Sponge-Cano!" - Although he wasn't up to admit it at first, Squidward later admits he always accepted SpongeBob as a friend before almost falling into the volcano.
- "Big Sister Sam" - SpongeBob and Squidward are on the same side of the argument saying that it's unfair that Sam dismantled Squidward's house, and throughout the episode are both referred to as "meanies" by both Sam and Patrick.
- "Restraining SpongeBob" - After SpongeBob ends the fight between Squidward and Patrick, Squidward removes SpongeBob from the restraining order and places Patrick on it instead since he is more annoying.
- "Demolition Doofus" - Squidward "thanks" SpongeBob for getting some carrots out of his garden.
- "Hello Bikini Bottom"-Squidward is in a band with SpongeBob, with Mr. Krabs being the manager.
- "The Sewers of Bikini Bottom"-After accidentally flushing the secret formula down the toilet, Squidward orders SpongeBob to get the secret formula back. SpongeBob then flushes himself down the toilet to get it back. Squidward feels bad for "flushing" SpongeBob and says "That's despicable, even for me". Squidward then flushes himself down the toilet to find SpongeBob.
- "Yeti Krabs" - Squidward believes the Yeti was Mr. Krabs is a costume, and thinks he dressed up as a Yeti to scare SpongeBob to work twice as hard. Squidward feels sympathy for Spongebob's situation and dresses up as a yeti to scare whom he thought was Krabs to teach him a lesson.
- "SpongeBob, You're Fired!" - Squidward is in a disguise as a Krabby Patty rescuing SpongeBob from four competing restaurant owners, Pizza Pete, Mister Weiner, Noodleman, and Señor Taco, and begs SpongeBob to come back and be the fry cook once again. In addition, Squidward admits that he hates the smell of burnt Krabby Patties more than SpongeBob.
- "Squid Plus One" - Squidward asks SpongeBob to go to the Galleria Diphteria with him saying "yes."
- "Two Thumbs Down" - As SpongeBob fails to pick up his spatula and keep it in his hand, as well as trying to cook the patties, Squidward offers to help SpongeBob, saying that his thumbs work. However, SpongeBob insists that Squidward not help him, thinking that he can do it. When Mr. Krabs dismisses SpongeBob to go home, Squidward looks at him with a sorrowful expression on his face, meaning that he actually feels sorry for him.
- "Goodbye, Krabby Patty?" - Squidward begs SpongeBob to get re-hired at the Krusty Krab.
- "Bottle Burglars" - Squidward teams up with SpongeBob in order to steal back the stolen formula from Plankton.
- "Appointment TV" - Squidward forces SpongeBob to do work around his garden despite his objections. Later in the evening, he, along with Patrick, Mr. Krabs, Sandy, Larry, Plankton, Gary, and Mrs. Puff, saw how completely sad SpongeBob was when he missed the lost episode of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy and realized that he took advantage of his kindness. In order to make it up to him, he and the others put on a play in recitation of the lost episode.
- "Pineapple RV" - Squidward attempts to abandon SpongeBob and Patrick in the Kelp Forest in a desperate attempt to get rid of them. However, as he starts to drive away, he reconsiders his actions and goes back to get them.
- "SpongeBob's Big Birthday Blowout" - Squidward helps Sandy and the others decorate SpongeBob's house for his birthday party. After he returns, SpongeBob finds the house destroyed and everyone asleep from the party planning. Nevertheless, SpongeBob is excited that his family and friends would do so much for him. SpongeBob lists Squidward and the others wonderful friends and how he is grateful to have them. When Patchy the Pirate arrives and sings the birthday song, Squidward along with everyone else wakes up and properly celebrate a happy birthday to SpongeBob. However, Squidward can be heard saying that he still does not like him.