— SpongeBob SquarePants, "Graveyard Shift"
It is a black clarinet with a standard row of silver keys and has a straight, wooden reed coming from the top of the instrument where the player is able to blow into it.
Role in series
One of Squidward's most notable traits is his love for clarinet playing. It is his favorite hobby. Squidward loves it to the point where he often treats it as if it were alive, giving it the nickname "Clarey." Squidward even sleeps with it and has a small pillow for it to "rest" on, as shown in the episodes "Squidville" and "I Was a Teenage Gary." A common running gag is that the Bikini Bottomites are annoyed by the sound of it due to Squidward's lack of musical talent.
- "Jellyfish Jam" - The jellyfish break it and light it on fire before dancing around it.
- "I Was a Teenage Gary" - SpongeBob scares Squidward, resulting in the clarinet getting stuck in one of his self-portraits.
- "Squidtastic Voyage" - Squidward swallows his reed.
- "Best Day Ever" - Squidward's reed breaks for an unknown reason.
- "The Two Faces of Squidward" - A fan steals Squidward's clarinet. Soon after, a mob of other fans who are gathered outside of his house destroy it.
- "Sweet and Sour Squid" - A policeman runs it over after arresting Plankton.
- "Restraining SpongeBob" - Patrick uses it as a toilet plunger for the toilets in the Krusty Krab restroom.
- "Food Con Castaways" - It is destroyed when he tries to soothe the beast but it grabs Squidward and the beast drops him, breaking his clarinet in half during the process.
- "Snooze You Lose" - A cranky conductor ties it around Squidward's head after making a terrible impression at the audition.
- "Lost and Found" - SpongeBob steps on all of them and breaks most of them in two.
A running gag involving Squidward's clarinet is that when he plays it, the crowd gets annoyed due to his talentless nature. Squidward is hopelessly oblivious to this and believes that people do not have taste.
- "Dunces and Dragons" - Squidly plays at the parade toward the end of the episode, only for a rock to be thrown into his throat.
- "SquidBob TentaclePants" - Squidward plays his clarinet when the cloak disguising his and SpongeBob's conjoined body is pulled off by a nail. Soon after, he begins to "serenade" the audience.
- "No Hat for Pat" - The customers run out of the Krusty Krab because of the sound.
- "Sweet and Sour Squid" - Squidward plays his clarinet throughout the streets, only for food to be thrown at him. Plankton is later arrested for "noise disturbance" from it, as he was near the police and was the one holding it at that moment.
- "Salsa Imbecilicus" - Squidward plays his clarinet during the graduation ceremony. However, the graduates find it very annoying as he is playing sour notes.
- "Squid Noir" - Squidward plays his clarinet at the Krusty Krab, which deeply annoys the customers there and Mr. Krabs. He then plays it at a comic book store, which also annoys Bubble Bass. He then plays it at his own house, which also annoys Patrick.
- Squidward's clarinet is extremely less detailed than a clarinet is in real life. However, Sour Note, Squidward's superhero alter-ego, uses a realistic clarinet in The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water.
- SpongeBob has played the clarinet many times, as well as Patrick and Gary.
- It is revealed in "Graveyard Shift" that SpongeBob uses Squidward's clarinet to unclog the former's toilet.
- In "Squidward in Clarinetland," it is shown that Squidward's clarinet is sentient. It reunites with Squidward before then being stolen by SpongeBob in the Horned Forest.
- In one frame In "Squid Plus One," the clarinet mistakenly appears to be golden.
- In "Sleepy Time," Squidward's dream has him play SpongeBob as a clarinet, who had the ability to shapeshift into it.
- Squidward has gotten his clarinet stuck in his throat many times, such as in "SB-129" and "Squidtastic Voyage."
- According to the series pitch bible from 1996, Squidward was originally going to play the oboe, and not the clarinet.
|List of musical instruments (V • E)|