- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Grandma SquarePants (mentioned)
- Bikini Bottomites
- Incidental 106
- Incidental 105
- Incidental 24
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 37B
- Fred (blue)
- Incidental 37A
- Incidental 65
- Incidental 73
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 2
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 107
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 60
- Incidental 67
- Incidental 108
- Incidental 9
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 13
- Incidental 155
- Incidental 64
- Old Man Walker
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 87
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 47
- Brad Ted (cameo on TV)
- Jennifer (cameo on TV)
- King Neptune (mentioned)
In the beginning of the episode, Squidward fantasizes about being outside on a nice day, but in reality, he is stuck working at the Krusty Krab. While talking to SpongeBob, he then gets the idea to fake being sick to get away from him. He tells SpongeBob that he has a scratchy throat, a dry mouth, and an itchy eye. He dubs it as "Squid's Disease," and SpongeBob worries that he will catch it. He suggests that Squidward goes home to get better. Squidward goes to Mr. Krabs to tell him he is sick, so Mr. Krabs checks him out. He concludes that Squidward is fine and healthy, and then tells him to get back to work.
When SpongeBob prepares to deliver an order, Squidward notices him wearing a gas mask. Squidward coughs into it, so SpongeBob panics. He goes to Mr. Krabs to tell him Squidward is sick, but Mr. Krabs is not convinced. He notices SpongeBob is acting odd, which is affecting business. He learns it is because he thinks Squidward is ill and is afraid to catch it. Then he suggests Squidward "make him scarce." Squidward mirthfully leaves, and SpongeBob is relieved...until he notices his eye itches, his throat feels scratchy, and his mouth is dry. Using home remedies, SpongeBob soaks his feet in hot water, then freezing ice water, then boiling oil. Then he smears hot mustard onto his fried legs, which hurts. He plans to put cucumbers on his wounded legs, but only sees pickles. Concluding they are cucumbers, he dumps the pickles and their vinegar onto his legs. The vinegar burns his legs and he falls all over the place, into a pile of garbage. SpongeBob delivers an order while covered in garbage. The customers are turned off by the sickly employee and leave, prompting Mr. Krabs to tell SpongeBob to go home until he feels better. SpongeBob asks who will work while he is away, and Mr. Krabs boasts that he can do all the work blindfolded with one claw tied behind his back.
Squidward lies on a beach chair, enjoying his break, when a garbage-covered SpongeBob comes along. Squidward is annoyed, and then goes into his house to at least enjoy himself inside. But SpongeBob goes in with him, and shows him a video tape with a romantic comedy on it. Squidward immediately gets angry at SpongeBob. At the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs is having a hard time fulfilling orders, and angers customers by throwing food at them and all over the place. Back at Squidward's home, the movie is over. But when SpongeBob says there are 99 more sequels to watch, Squidward cannot take it anymore and runs out, screaming. SpongeBob follows him to the Krusty Krab, where Mr. Krabs lies on the ground, covered with Krabby Patty pieces, woozily telling SpongeBob that he could take care of everything. Noticing Mr. Krabs is not feeling good, SpongeBob presents him with the video tape of the romantic comedy. The episode ends with Mr. Krabs telling him to get away and runs away from him.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• SpongeBob Theme II - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
‣ Grand Pastures [#33] - Harry Bluestone ["What a beautiful day it is outside."]
• Another Krusty Krab Day - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Too bad I'm cooped up here inside the Krusty Krab."]
‣ ? [SpongeBob's voice echoes]
• Tip Toe Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Squidward fakes being sick]
• Melodramatic Moments - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["What?!"/"Well, SpongeBob, I think you're probably right."/Squidward goes to break news to Mr. Krabs.]
‣ The Girl I Left Behind Me - Brian Peters [Mr. Krabs examines Squidward]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Right away, Squidward."]
• Lopey Sailor's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob in a gas mask]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 1A - Jeremy Wakefield ["Hi, SpongeBob..."]
‣ Drama Link (B) - Hubert Clifford [Squidward sneezes into the gas mask]
• Lopey Sailor's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob goes into Krabs' office]
• Melodramatic Moments - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Mr. Krabs, you have to believe me!"]
• Tip Toe Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["You have a minute?"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 5C - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward goes home]
• Silly Bob Conversation 1 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob scratches his eyes]
‣ Dramatic Impact (5) - Ivor Slaney ["I've contracted... Squid's disease!"]
‣ ? ["Everything's fine, captain."]
• Silly Bob Conversation 1 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Just a little howl for pleasure."]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr ["That's it!"]
• Jolly Little Roger - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Grandma's remedies/"Yes, everything's fine in here."]
• Pirate's Opus - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Here I come."]
‣ Dramatic Bridge 4 - Phil Green ["Sweet vinegar, it burns!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 8D - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob stumbles out of the kitchen]
• Poor Ol Sod Shanty - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Me customers!"]
• Latin Lounging - Nicolas Carr [Squidward relaxing]
• An Underwater Conversation - Barry Anthony [SpongeBob appears]
• Fooling Around 2 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["That sounds like a great idea!"]
‣ Tripping Upstairs - Brian Peters [meanwhile at the Krusty Krab...]
• Soapy Organ - Hiram Titus [SpongeBob and Squidward watching TV]
• Slide Whistle Stooges - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward runs back to the Krusty Krab]
• Sad Sack Shanty - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs lying on the floor]
• Greenhorn Rag - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode is available on the Complete Eighth Season, Glove World Forever!, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 14, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- This episode premiered during the Two Whole Weeks of Never Before Seen SpongeBob event.
- This is the 100th appearance of Incidental 37B.
- This episode is listed as "Squid's Disease" in Digiturk (Turkey).
- This is the second episode where Squidward pretends to be ill. The first was "Accidents Will Happen."
- In "Fungus Among Us," SpongeBob has a disease and gives it to Squidward. This time, Squidward fakes a disease, and SpongeBob thinks he caught it, which is the reverse.
- This is the second episode to premiere on April 11 in a leap year. The first was "Pest of the West" in 2008.
- The "Mr. Krabs nothing!" segment is a reference to "A Day Without Tears," where Squidward yells "Krabby Patty nothing!" at SpongeBob.
- However, this time Squidward is the one on the receiving end.
- In the Complete Eighth Season DVD, the episode description calls SpongeBob SquarePants "SpongeBob HypochondriacPants."
- SpongeBob endures both Hypochondriasis hypochondria, a condition in which a person is overly concerned or convinced that they have a serious disease; and Psychosomatic medicine psychosomatism, an illness caused by stress and mental factors.
- This episode's production number was 173a. This made SpongeBob SquarePants the longest-running Nickelodeon animated series yet, surpassing the former holder, Rugrats, which consisted of 172 episodes.
- The suffix "-itis" refers to a body part that is inflammatory or swollen. Squidward endured neither of these symptoms.
- In the Croatian dub, this episode is titled "Kalamarkova bolest" which translates to "Squidward's disease."
- This is the last episode to play the previously APM (now Warner Chappell/CPM) tracks "Tripping Upstairs" and "The Girl I Left Behind Me."
- It is revealed that Mr. Krabs hates romantic comedies.
- SpongeBob says there are 99 sequels to watch, but there are only 80.
- SpongeBob actually notices Squidward's temper in this episode, which is unusual.
- A stain is seen behind the cash register when SpongeBob screams when he dips his feet in the "boiling oil."
- Nat and Frankie Billy's voices swap when SpongeBob says he might be coming down with something.
- SpongeBob says the order for table 3 is a Krabby Patty with cheese, but it only has lettuce.