- Squidward Tentacles
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Alternate-Universe Squidward
- Incidental 154
- Incidental 154's supervisor (mentioned)
- Widow Duncan (debut)
- Incidental 107 (cameo)
- Incidental 6 (cameo)
- Incidental 60 (cameo)
- Incidental 152 (cameo)
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 14 (cameo)
- Incidental 22 (cameo)
- Incidental 46 (cameo)
- Incidental 15 (cameo)
- Sailor fish (cameo)
- Incidental 24 (cameo)
- Jim (wrestler) (cameo)
- Muscular starfish (cameo)
- Larry the Lobster
- Big fish
- Purple weightlifter (debut)
- Incidental 73 (cameo)
- Incidental 67 (cameo)
- Incidental 48 (cameo)
- Incidental 42 (cameo)
- Incidental 155 (cameo)
- Sandals (cameo)
- Incidental 5 (cameo)
- Incidental 27 (cameo)
- Incidental 13 (cameo)
- Incidental 12 (cameo)
- Incidental 31 (cameo)
- Incidental 8 (cameo)
- Incidental 25 (cameo)
- Incidental 7 (cameo)
- Incidental 3 (cameo)
- Incidental 41 (cameo)
- Incidental 64 (cameo)
- Incidental 68 (cameo)
- Incidental 63 (cameo)
- Sea snake (mentioned)
- Incidental 104 (cameo)
- Perch Perkins
One afternoon at Squidward's house, Squidward is seen preparing for his day, until he hears his doorbell ring. When Squidward answers the door, he finds SpongeBob there, who asks what he is doing. Squidward replies that he is busy, but SpongeBob wonders why he is busy. Squidward says he is going to spend quality time with someone important and slams the door on SpongeBob before continuing to enjoy his afternoon. However, his door rings again and, thinking it is SpongeBob, accidentally yells at a mailman. Squidward then takes the mail and it is revealed as an invitation to the Galleria Diphteria. However, Squidward notices some words at the bottom and the mailman says he can bring someone to go along. SpongeBob is eager to go, but Squidward declines the offer and slams the door on SpongeBob yet again.
A little later, Squidward is trying to find some friends to take to the Galleria Diphteria, but is having some trouble. Squidward gets an idea after seeing SpongeBob run outside with a jump rope and runs outside to ask him. SpongeBob believes Squidward is going to ask him to go to the art gallery opening, but Squidward just asks him where the mailman went. SpongeBob tells him he went over to Widow Duncan's house, and Squidward runs off toward the house. Squidward finds the mailman, who is in the middle of delivering a package. The two of them figure out they have most things in common and they say what they hate most in unison. Squidward tells the mailman that it is SpongeBob, but the mailman tells Squidward that it is clarinets, leaving him shocked. As the mailman continues talking about why he hates clarinets, Squidward is already gone. The mailman (revealing himself as Norton) hits himself, thinking he is too opinionated.
Later, Squidward is seen walking in town and picks up a can belonging to SpongeBob. Squidward wants to tell SpongeBob something important, but it turns out he just wants to talk to Larry. At the beach, Squidward tries to ask Larry to go to the art gallery with him, but Larry manages to convince Squidward to go riding on a jet ski instead. Squidward and Larry go riding around into the carnival and eventually do other activities such as playing pool, going to the movies, and playing instruments together. Squidward replies to Larry that he met someone earlier that did not like clarinet music and Larry agrees with him. Squidward asks Larry if he would go to the gallery opening later and Larry agrees, but he only wants to make a protein shake first.
However, Squidward calls the protein "glop" and starts to mock people that drink them. An enraged Larry smashes Squidward into the ground and walks off. Squidward is saddened, but SpongeBob appears and helps him out of the hole. Squidward thanks SpongeBob and SpongeBob says he will do anything for a friend. Upon hearing that, Squidward sees his reflection in SpongeBob's eyes and "asks" him to go with him to the gallery show and SpongeBob gasps in excitement. However, at Galleria Diphteria, it turns out Squidward ends up going with a reflection of himself in the mirror (with SpongeBob in a black suit carrying the mirror around), with Perch Perkins remarking it is "sad." Squidward then tells his reflection that he will always be his "plus one."
- SpongeBob happily blinking his eyes at Squidward.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
• Tiki Land - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [opening]
• Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob at door]
• Tiki Land - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, and Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward sits down/"You have a great vocabulary."]
• Hawaiian Solo Steel - Nicolas Carr, Jeremy Wakefield [Norton cries]
• The Donut Dilema - Nicolas Carr [Squidward gets his mail]
• Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr ["Why, it's beautiful!"]
‣ Box Office [#80] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Squidward reads invitation.]
‣ Box Office [#77] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Oh, I've heard of that!"]
• Light Conversation 1 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["What are you still doing here?"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 1A - Jeremy Wakefield [Norton leaves]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 8B - Jeremy Wakefield ["I like openings"]
• A Fishy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward flips through Rolodex]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Tonight?!"]
• A Fishy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Let's see, there must be someone."]
• Seaweed 1 - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob running with jump rope]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 30 - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward runs off]
• The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["What? What are you..."]
• Birth of the Krabby Patty - Nicolas Carr ["I'm an introvert!"]
• Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward makes conversation with Norton]
• Who Said That - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Norton explains why he hates clarinets]
• Solo Steel 3 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Stupid, stupid, stupid!"]
‣ Bumbling (b) - Bernd Gesell ["I've always taken a shine to you."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 25B - Jeremy Wakefield [Norton runs off]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 6A - Jeremy Wakefield ["Oh, who are you kidding?"]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr [Squidward gets an idea]
‣ City Bustle - Larry Hochman ["You don't have to ask me three times!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 28 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Oh, okeydoke."]
• Surf N Sponge featuring Mongo Bongo - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Larry lifting weights]
• Self Surf - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward and Larry jet skiing]
• ? - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward playing clarinet]
• The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward asks Larry to come to the opening]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Larry's ticked!]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 12 - Jeremy Wakefield ["I guess it's just you and me again."]
• You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob appears behind Squidward]
• Harp! - Nicolas Carr ["Friend?"]
‣ Climb to Altitude - Trevor Duncan ["Would you be my plus one?"]
‣ Big Show Theme - Robert Sharples [ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 15, SpongeBob LongPants, Complete Ninth Season, Next 100 Episodes, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- This episode's title card is meant to represent an admission ticket.
- This episode reveals that Squidward uses incorrect grammar when he speaks, even though he claims he has good grammar.
- This is the only season 9 episode to air during Best Buddies Week.
- The scene where SpongeBob appears at Squidward's door has become popular on TikTok.
- Starting with this episode, Perch Perkins returns to being purple.
- This is the first episode to use "You're Nice" as the title card music since "The Krusty Plate" from season 5.
- This is the first episode where SpongeBob has a weird voice, he has that only in the Dutch version.
- This is the third episode where Squidward's last name is mispronounced. The first was "The Great Snail Race," and the second was "Are You Happy Now?"
- This is the third appearance of Alternate-Universe Squidward. The first was "The Algae's Always Greener" and the second was "Squidward in Clarinetland." In this episode, he is the reflection of Squidward in a glass cup and in the mirror at the end.
- The scene where the scallops take Squidward's apron possibly references the scene in Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarves where the birds take Snow White's cloak and hang it on a coat rack.
- In the scene where SpongeBob arrives at Squidward’s door, he says "whatcha doin," sounding very similarly to Isabella's catchphrase from Phineas and Ferb.
- When Larry towers over Squidward threateningly, Squidward's clarinet is gold. After Larry smashes Squidward into the ground, the clarinet is black again.