- French Narrator
- Sea urchins
- Squidward Tentacles
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Patrick Star
- Fire fish
- Norma Rechid
- Beige fish child
- Purple Doctorfish (cameo)
- Alternate-Universe SpongeBob (debut)
Squidward laments having to work at the Krusty Krab on a Sunday, a day with a lack of customers. His nerves are further frayed by SpongeBob continually testing the service bell. Squidward reminds SpongeBob that he will ring the bell to call in orders, of which there will be none because there are no customers. His frustrated pounding of the cash register causes it to burst open and several coins spill out. Mr. Krabs hears the noise and comes storming out of his office.
Squidward attempts to pick the coins up, but Mr. Krabs shoves him out of the way and hurriedly scoops them up to wash under the tap. However, SpongeBob comes up, startling Krabs, and a dime drops down the drain. Mr. Krabs quickly sticks his claw in the pipe to catch the dime and grabs hold of it, but his claw gets stuck. Refusing to relinquish the dime, he has SpongeBob assist him in pulling it out. After yanking too hard, Mr. Krabs is detached from his arms, flies backward, slams against the wall and impact knocks lose a shelf, causing several items to fall onto his head, knocking him out.As Mr. Krabs is being taken away to the hospital, he leaves Squidward in charge of the restaurant. Squidward seizes the opportunity to take the day off, with the excuse of running a few "very important boss-like errands," and leaves SpongeBob in charge of both the grill and the cash register giving him his employee hat to him. As he happily walks home, his mind turns to SpongeBob, imagining him foolishly giving Patrick enough cash to bankrupt the establishment as change for a quarter. This sudden fear causes Squidward to hurry back to the Krusty Krab. After witnessing SpongeBob's impeccable ability to make change, Squidward resumes his "errands."
Returning home with the intent to relax, Squidward next envisions SpongeBob setting the Krusty Krab on fire. Upon rushing back with a fire extinguisher, he finds things quite un-charred and SpongeBob eagerly awaiting the completion of Squidward's errands. Squidward goes home once more, vowing he will not return to the Krusty Krab, but visions of SpongeBob's increasingly destructive behavior send him back again and again, only to be asked each time by SpongeBob if he has completed his errands.
With his sanity stretched dangerously thin, Squidward finally resorts to barricading his door so he cannot get out. While attempting to relax with a bath, Squidward thinks he hears SpongeBob's laugh outside but sees it is merely a branch of coral scratching against his house. He thinks that he sees SpongeBob behind the shower curtain, but it is just his toilet with two toilet paper rolls on top. Then he sees SpongeBob in the bath asking him if he's finished with the errands yet then escapes down the drain, which drives Squidward to burst out of the house naked with only bubbles for clothes, dashing toward the Krusty Krab attempting to beat him there while passing Norma, her son, Patrick and Mr. Krabs just as the latter left the hospital recovered only to lose his arms again out of hidden shock just as Squidward passed by.
By the time the deranged Squidward bursts into Krusty Krab, SpongeBob's already there—as he never left. Squidward slowly winds down and regains his sanity, relenting that his errands are finally complete, just in time for the last of his bubbles to pop. SpongeBob lends Squidward his pants, then notices that in all this time, nobody came to the Krusty Krab because they never switched the "Closed" sign to "Open" and that they very easily "could've taken the whole day off!" As SpongeBob laughs at this, Squidward's nose falls off and his head slowly deflates, ending the episode.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Surfin Summer Girls [#28] - Ian Henry Marsh, Phil Pickett [Title card]
‣ Enchanted [#68.02] - Gregor F. Narholz [opening]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["That sounds like me money dropping."]
‣ Shock (f) - Dave Hewson [dime falls down drain]
‣ Flight in Panic 1 - Gregor F. Narholz ["It's stuck!"]
‣ Shock (u) - Dave Hewson ["Me arms!"]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [Krabs puts Squidward in charge]
‣ Hilo Rag - Guy Fletcher [Squidward gives SpongeBob a promotion]
‣ Heavenly Voices (b) - David Farnon ["The cash register..."]
‣ Orchestral Flourish 6 [#39.02] - Gregor F. Narholz ["I can't believe this is really happening."]
‣ The Drunken Sailor - Brian Peters [played backwards during Squidward's daydream]
‣ Lovely Scenery (c) - Mladen Franko ["I forgot to tell him how to make change!"]
‣ The Rake Hornpipe - Robert Alexander White [change for a dollar]
‣ Aloha - Dick Stephen Walter [Squidward sunbathing]
‣ On Fire - Gregor F. Narholz [Squidward imagines SpongeBob setting the Krusty Krab on fire/Squidward runs to the Krusty Krab]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band ["May I help you, sir?"]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill [exterior of Squidward's house]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["I will destroy the Krusty Krab!"]
‣ Tales from the Swamp (a) - Ron Goodwin [Squidward throws mirror against wall]
‣ El Dementia - The Surfdusters [Squidward running back and forth]
‣ Shock - Cornelus Joh Bolten [Squidward locking his front door]
‣ Dangerous (b) - Mladen Franko [Squidward hears SpongeBob laughing/Squidward sees SpongeBob's silhouette]
‣ Shock Horror (a) - Dick Stephen Walter ["Aha!"]
‣ Death Trap - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob swims down the drain]
• 12th Street Rag 3 - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward running to the Krusty Krab]
‣ Stack of Leis - Kapono Beamer [ending]
- This episode is available on The Seascape Capers DVD and VHS, Complete 2nd Season, First 100 Episodes, From the Beginning, Pt.1, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 2, The Complete Second Season, The First & Second Seasons, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- "Squid's Day Off" was ranked #32 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- Although this episode premiered in 2001, it was made in 2000 according to the credits.
- This episode premiered in Canada on Friday, January 19, 2001, before it aired in the United States.
- In other episodes, such as "SB-129" and "Krusty Krab Training Video," the Krusty Krab is said to be closed on Sundays, but in this episode it is open.
- The objects that fall on Mr. Krabs' head include:
- Frying pan
- Lunch box
- Treasure chest
- Deep-sea diver costume
- The ways SpongeBob mentions to make change for a dollar are:
- Four quarters
- Ten dimes
- Twenty nickels
- One hundred pennies
- One quarter, three dimes, seven nickels, and ten pennies
- There are 237 other different ways to make change for a dollar not mentioned, 288 if one includes the rare half-dollar.
- Squidward's skin takes on a grayish hue when he goes insane.
- Squidward mentions the episode title when he says, "Let Squid's day off begin."
- SpongeBob asks Squidward if he has finished his errands a total of 20 times.
- SpongeBob asking "Have you finished those errands?" has become a popular internet meme and source for YouTube remixes.
- This episode marks the first time the Krusty Krab is seen on fire.
- This was Andrew Overtoom's first episode as an animation director.
- This is the last episode to feature the M shape of Patrick's eyebrows. Starting with "Something Smells," Patrick's eyebrows are Z-shaped.
- However, this change is not present in "Big Pink Loser."
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Wolny dzień Skalmara," which translates to "Squidward's Day Off."
- In the Azerbaijani voiceover, the episode's title is "Skvidin istirahət günləri," which translates to "Squidward's Vacation Days."
- At the beginning of the episode, SpongeBob rings the bell, but when Squidward complains that there are no customers, the bell disappears. However, when SpongeBob says "One Krabby Patty coming up," the bell reappears. When the register drawer shoots open and hits Squidward, the bell disappears again.
- When Squidward says, "SpongeBob, stop ringing this bell," his legs are not colored in for a frame.
- When Mr. Krabs gets hit on the head repeatedly, the audio goes down.
- In one shot, while Squidward says "You get to run the cash register now," the door to Mr. Krabs' office is missing.
- When Squidward says that SpongeBob gets to run the cash register, the workstation boat seems way closer to the left side of the Krusty Krab: way past Mr. Krabs' office.
- When Squidward is about to leave the Krusty Krab, both the Chum Bucket and the road cannot be seen.
- When SpongeBob says "I'm sure you are!," Squidward's neck is the same color as his shirt. Also, in another part, his neck is the same color as the Krusty Krab window.
- When Squidward checks on SpongeBob for the first time, the tables and chairs are missing.
- In some of the scenes, where Squidward runs toward the Krusty Krab, the five flags on the Krusty Krab disappear.
- When Squidward imagines SpongeBob burning the Krusty Krab, one of SpongeBob's legs is behind the seat, the other is in front.
- When the scene shows the full area of the Krusty Krab on fire, SpongeBob is not seen at the cash register, unlike in the previous shot.
- When Squidward leaves his house the first time after he said "I will not go back to that restaurant!," the hinges on his door are on the right side of the doorframe. But when Squidward runs back home, the hinges are on the left side of the doorframe.
- When Squidward leaves the house, he leaves the door wide open, but when he returns, the door is closed.
- When Squidward barricades the door, he appears to weld a metal cover over it. However, he uses a blowtorch, which is not hot enough to wield and wouldn't even work underwater. The torch was flashing and making noises like an arc welder.
- Also, his door's metal cover was already riveted.
- When Squidward finally cracks from running back and forth from the Krusty Krab to his house, while he reinforces the door, one of his eyeballs is bigger, from the right side, bigger than his left. When he runs back to the Krusty Krab because he thinks that SpongeBob is in his house, spying on him, as soon as he runs to the cash register where SpongeBob is standing, the bigger eyeball is swapped to the left side and the right side is smaller.
- When Squidward reminds himself about his mistake of not telling SpongeBob how to make change, he has 4 fingers on his hands, which he does not usually have.
- Squidward has eight tentacles when he dives in his bath, but he has six tentacles.
- When Squidward takes a bath and looks out the window, neither SpongeBob's pineapple or Patrick's rock are seen from the window.
- When Squidward runs naked the background is a bit off. Also in that scene, SpongeBob's house is missing the chimney.
- When the purple doctorfish lets Mr. Krabs out of the Bikini Bottom Hospital, the "emergency" sign is misspelled as an "enereency."
- When Squidward runs past Mr. Krabs at the hospital, his nose is smaller.
- After the screen shows the bubbles popping that are on Squidward's body, the screen shows SpongeBob holding his clothes up above Squidward. The leg holes in the pants are missing.
- When SpongeBob gives Squidward his pants, a zipping sound is heard. This is not possible, as SpongeBob's pants are slip-on and do not have a zipper.
- SpongeBob saying, "Have you finished those errands?"
- Squidward going to the Krusty Krab in phenomena.